INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tag movies as tv shows?  (Read 4544 times)

squeedle

• World Citizen
tag movies as tv shows?
« on: August 31, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »

Disclaimer: I am using MC19. I didn't see a thread for that. Sorry.

A Google search turned up a link to this post, which explains how to "tag movies as tv series" so that a given movie (or series of movies) and all its associated bonus features could all be grouped and displayed together:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,88834.msg609511.html#msg609511

I'm someone who DOES like to rip a lot of my DVDs' bonus content and would love to get the above working. But I can't quite figure it out. For example, "There is a special grouping you can use in Media Center, TVInfo(SeriesDisplay)"...I don't see that option in MC19...?

I want to keep my movies with Media SubType = Movie. Is that possible with the above method?

Has anyone else successfully done this? Would love some tips.

Thanks!
-M

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: tag movies as tv shows?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »

I've just played with this, with MC22 and have it working pretty nicely I think.

At level 1, I get movie names, or movie Series names.  At level 2, I get a list of movies in the series, or it just shows the movies details if it's not a series.

At level 3, it shows any extra features if there are any.  Otherwise it just shows the movie details.

My system for this is:

[Name] = Movie name, or special feature name
[Series] = Movie series.  Empty if it's not a movie series.
[Season] = Order in which to show movies in the series.  Star Wars, A New Hope is 4, while The Empire Strikes Back is 4.
[Episode] = Order in which to show movie and the special features.  I always make the main movie #1 so it's first.  Then you can order the special features how you want by setting their episode number.  So the first special feature is 2, second special feature is 3, etc.

In the Theater View layout, I set up a new view with 3 categories, which use these fields.  It's not too complicated, but a lot to type out.  I can provide some details if necessary.

Brian.

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:00:52 pm »

That's awesome, thanks. I mostly use Standard View, but if this is only doable in Theater View, I would certainly consider switching to that as my primary. Can you share some details on setting this up? I'd love to give it a try!

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 05:13:14 pm »

In standard view I usually stack Movies and their special features.  That way they are in one "bundle".  But I kinda don't like that solution to be honest.

For movie series in Standard View I do something similar.  It just doesn't have any "levels" since Standard View can't auto ignore levels that aren't there.  So I just list movies from series, in order, all together.  For example, I show the Hannibal Lecter series movies in the Hs, alphabetically with the other H movies.  But they are listed in the order that I think they go in: Red Dragon, The Silence Of The Lambs, Hannibal .

Doing this is also pretty straight forward.

If you have questions, ask.  At the moment I don't have the energy to type up an entire "how to" on this topic.  Maybe later.  Or maybe someone else will step in with some good knowledge and know how.

Brian.

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 06:47:25 pm »

I know that there is a section under Options > Theater View, but I just have no idea how to do what you're describing. Maybe you or someone else can just post a screenshot or some quick tips when time permits?

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 08:52:50 pm »

If someone could post a screenshot or some quick tips here that'd be really helpful. I'm still unclear whether you're saying I have to re-tag all my movies as media subtype "tv show" to get this technique to work, or whether I can keep them as "movie" and simply use the Series/Season/Episode tags. In either case, I can't seem to get this working, simply due to my inexperience.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 09:00:20 pm »

Select a movie and click on Tag in the Action Window (lower left).  Edit the Media Sub-type.  Try one or two.

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:04:04 pm »

So you ARE saying this only works for subtype of "TV Show"?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:22:13 pm »

Try a search for Media Sub-Type.  There are several values.

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 09:30:28 pm »

Sorry, I'm really just not following. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 11:05:13 pm »

Sorry, I'm really just not following. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

you can keep the movies as movies, and don't need to change into TV Shows

what blgentry is saying, is you will need to tag all the [series] values, so for example (picking a movie that isn't part of an actual series)

[name] = pulp fiction
[series] = pulp fiction
[episode] = 1

[name] = pulp fiction extras
[series] = pulp fiction
[episode] = 2

and so on. 

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 11:40:57 pm »

Thanks! Okay, so far so good, because that's what I've done already. But now I just don't understand how to get the movies to appear all grouped together by "series".

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 12:53:52 am »

Are you using theatre view?

edit:  you said you use standard view...create a new <empty> view under videos, and choose a panes view (see screenshot)

on the bottom left, add [series] then add expression

in the expression to group by box, type
[episode]

in the expression to display box, you can do whatever you like...for the screenshot i chose
[series,1]-[name,1]

you'll see what it gets me in the second screenshot.  the left pane has the series, the right pane has the expression, and the bottom file list has the movie covers in order of episode

my movies aren't attached to my PC so there are missing covers and the big red circle :)

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 08:06:36 pm »

Thanks, this is super helpful. I've at least gotten things to display in a format something like I had envisioned. That's a helluva lot farther than I've gotten before. :)

I've spent a good 30 minutes on it but haven't really found a setup that I like. It's pretty confusing.

I'm sure it all makes more sense if you're the programmer who designed it. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up