INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi Installation Instructions  (Read 26723 times)

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: IdPi Installation Instructions
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 11:35:01 am »

From Allo's Digione-Signature Tech Manual quote:

"Software: snd-soc-allo-digione.ko is the device driver required for DigiOne / DigiOne Signature. On RPi, get this driver active by adding “dtoverlay=allo-digione” in the /boot/config.txt file."

Insert the SDCard into a reader device and plug into a Linux or Windows Computer. Open the directory and you will find the config.txt file. If windows edit the file with Notepad or if Linux use Nano. Add the dtoverlay line at the end of the file and save. While there look in the overlays directory for an entry 'allo-digione.dtbo', if not present then it's not supported.
Insert the card back in the Pi and it should see the Allo device, if supported.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 12:11:40 pm »

From Allo's Digione-Signature Tech Manual quote:

"Software: snd-soc-allo-digione.ko is the device driver required for DigiOne / DigiOne Signature. On RPi, get this driver active by adding “dtoverlay=allo-digione” in the /boot/config.txt file."

Insert the SDCard into a reader device and plug into a Linux or Windows Computer. Open the directory and you will find the config.txt file. If windows edit the file with Notepad or if Linux use Nano. Add the dtoverlay line at the end of the file and save. While there look in the overlays directory for an entry 'allo-digione.dtbo', if not present then it's not supported.
Insert the card back in the Pi and it should see the Allo device, if supported.
That should work. The overlay is there.
The overlay system on the Pi is pretty hacky IMO. The way I understand this is that there are many different devices that use the same gpio pins and you can't just automatically load all of the overlays until one works.
Some of the newer devices have non-volatile storage on them that specifies which overlay they need but that's not  universal.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2019, 10:37:25 am »

All the audio HATS of interest for the IdPi have full size connectors which monopolize the GPIO and without hacking prevent other uses of the connector. You're correct that many HATS, such as the HifiBerry boards, conform to auto config using an ID EEPROM as per Raspberry spec https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats/blob/master/eeprom-format.md. This obviously makes configuration automatic and easy for most users.

The Allo documentation, I've looked at, does not discuss the ROM and always mentions editing the config file. Unless JRiver wants to explicitly forbid HAT cards without ID EEPROMs users will still have to go in and edit the root partition Config.txt file as they see fit. After all, turning off the onboard audio, under/over clocking the processor, display settings and other core settings are still best done in the config file.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2019, 12:00:35 pm »

You may know this, but if you want to customize the Pi, you're probably better off getting a Linux license for MC and installing it yourself on a Pi.

kalash

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2019, 01:25:14 pm »

Hope I am not going too far off message on this but I have found a solution to fully using JRiver Media Player on the Digione Signature player which contains a raspberry Pi card. My issue was using the idpi card I could not get any sound out to the Dac. My solution is to use the original Dietpi card that comes with Digione Signature player. If you have a fully licensed Media Center software installed on your PC it will appear as an optional player when you set up and use the dietpi card installed in the Digione player. One issue will be that it only play up to 48khz if the settings aren't correct. If you have this problem, as I had, you need to have the following JRiver settings:
Tools => Options +>Media Network => Add or configure DLNA servers => Audio=> Mode => select original
This should allow it to play up to 192 khz.     

carlp

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2019, 07:00:31 pm »

On a brand new IdPi card installation, I got the Digione system working by adding the text "dtoverlay=allo-digione” in the /boot/config.txt file. Pasted it in using Notepad. Easy!

Maui Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2019, 12:50:07 pm »

I have not yet bought the Id, but am considering.  I read the instructions, and it appears that in selecting outputs, HDMI, analog and USB are the options to select from.  It appears that you must select one.  That is, the ID cannot simultaneously stream both HDMI and Analog.  Is that correct?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2019, 02:03:12 pm »

I have not yet bought the Id, but am considering.  I read the instructions, and it appears that in selecting outputs, HDMI, analog and USB are the options to select from.  It appears that you must select one.  That is, the ID cannot simultaneously stream both HDMI and Analog.  Is that correct?
It can.
You can create multiple zones and assign a device to each.
As local zones you can even link them together.

You might run into issues with processing power if you do this on a IdPi and very high resolution and/or multichannel material but it's not an issue at all on the IdNUC.

Maui Jim

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2019, 03:05:12 pm »

Thanks!

GSK

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2020, 07:02:04 pm »

is the license supposed to have 5 characters between each dash? The one that was emailed to me has only 4 characters in the first group, and unsurprisingly I am unable to validate the license. I can't see any other reason why it fails to validate (and yes I've tried entering O or 0, no difference it still fails).
There was no license included in the shipping envelope or on the invoice. Is it only available by email?

Deanna

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2020, 10:15:51 pm »

I am very sorry for that mistake.  The full license has been sent.

GSK

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2020, 06:41:47 am »

I am very sorry for that mistake.  The full license has been sent.

Great, thank you!  ;D

pjdevries

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2020, 12:44:21 am »

Is it possible to setup Id without keyboard and monitor with ssh?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2020, 10:37:49 am »

Is it possible to setup Id without keyboard and monitor with ssh?
If it's connected via ethernet you can use remote desktop or vnc to do so.
If you need to get it on a wireless network you can use your phone or tablet to do the initial network configuration. It will show up as a wireless network on your phone or tablet and when you connect to that network, on an iPhone it will bring up the IdPi wireless network configuration page immediately.
On most android phones you can simply bring up a browser and try to go to any page and the IdPi wireless network configuration page will appear.
On some android phones you may need to browse to http://192.168.254.254 to bring up the wireless network configuration page.
After you select your network and put in the password the IdPi will immediately reboot and attempt to connect to your wireless network.
If instead it shows up as an wireless network again, you likely typed in your password wrong, just do the configuration again.

pjdevries

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2020, 10:44:00 am »

Thanx for the info.

It will be connected via Ethernet and I will be setting it up from a Windows PC with various remote connection tools available. I assume it will obtain the ip address using DHCP. Is there anything else I need to know or do, to access Id using VNC or RDP or will it connect 'out of the box'?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2020, 04:50:50 pm »

Thanx for the info.

It will be connected via Ethernet and I will be setting it up from a Windows PC with various remote connection tools available. I assume it will obtain the ip address using DHCP. Is there anything else I need to know or do, to access Id using VNC or RDP or will it connect 'out of the box'?
If you are using ethernet, it will just grab a DHCP address.
You can easily find it when it shows up on the network by hovering over it's zone or library server entry in MC on your PC and that will tell you the IP address.

pjdevries

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2020, 11:42:31 am »

Thanx. Hopefully the software will be here soon. If it doesn't or if I run into trouble, I'll check back in.

kyn81

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2020, 12:42:03 pm »

Hi everyone. I've been using JRiver for years now but I'm brand new to the IdPi, Raspberry Pi, and home networking.  I started setting up the "fully baked" IdPi last week and got through much of the setup using this forum.  I was able to connect to my home network, establish a connection with JRemote, and change to a USB output for my Benchmark DAC.  I then disconnected my monitor (via HDMI), the keyboard, and mouse. 

I realized shortly thereafter that my network was transcoding FLAC and .dsf files to mp3 and that I need to obtain the IP address from the Pi in order to set up VNC.  I re-connected my monitor, keyboard, and mouse and attempted to re-start the Pi in GUI mode to make these changes.  The Pi shut down but now won't re-boot.  The power is connected (light is on) and nothing happens. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to re-boot the Pi?  I hope the micro SD card wasn't damaged during the shutdown. 

In the mean time I'm using a laptop as a client computer with my upstairs desktop as a server.  Everything is working perfectly but I'd like to get the Pi going to save space and cut down on fan noise.

Thanks for your help,

Will

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2020, 01:40:23 pm »

Read the first post here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107124.0.html

Wait longer.

The Id may come up in Access Point mode, so you'll see it as an additonal access point on your network.  You can connect to it from a  browser using Panel  and configure it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2020, 05:43:20 pm »

Hi everyone. I've been using JRiver for years now but I'm brand new to the IdPi, Raspberry Pi, and home networking.  I started setting up the "fully baked" IdPi last week and got through much of the setup using this forum.  I was able to connect to my home network, establish a connection with JRemote, and change to a USB output for my Benchmark DAC.  I then disconnected my monitor (via HDMI), the keyboard, and mouse. 

I realized shortly thereafter that my network was transcoding FLAC and .dsf files to mp3 and that I need to obtain the IP address from the Pi in order to set up VNC.  I re-connected my monitor, keyboard, and mouse and attempted to re-start the Pi in GUI mode to make these changes.  The Pi shut down but now won't re-boot.  The power is connected (light is on) and nothing happens. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to re-boot the Pi?  I hope the micro SD card wasn't damaged during the shutdown. 

In the mean time I'm using a laptop as a client computer with my upstairs desktop as a server.  Everything is working perfectly but I'd like to get the Pi going to save space and cut down on fan noise.

Thanks for your help,

Will
If it doesn't show up as a network on you pad or phone after a few minutes (accesspoint mode) as Jim stated above try connecting a monitor and keyboard to it and power cycling it.

At the very least you should see the normal raspberry Pi startup to the linux boot menu and the cpu led on the Pi should blink.
If not, power it down and reseat the SDCard and try again.

kyn81

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2020, 03:50:21 pm »

Ha! Turns out it was none of the above.  I had at some point dislodged the power connections to the cooling fan and re-connected it to the wrong pin.  I have no idea what made me decide to just go ahead and disconnect the fan but the Pi started right up.  I made all the changes I needed and it's running perfectly.

Thanks again.

Noobman

• Recent member
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2021, 01:31:42 pm »

Thanks for the absolute best (love the tweaks) media (audio in my case) player/server EVER!  :)

If one has a "Hifiberry digi+" HAT installed when booting IdPi up, will this show up under the "advanced - audio menu" and offer more than just HDMI and this other legacy thing I can't remember the name of (phono...?) to put out?

I have a strong feeling that my HAT is a FUD now, I can't see anything but the above in the menu where you ought (i think) to be able to choose digital out.

This HAT has served me well running as a renderer ever since the Pi3 up until Pi4. But now when my SD card got corrupted, and it would take me far more time than I have, plus I'm a retard regarding Linux (hehe I'm even illiterate around a PC). I ordered the IdPi, but my HAT doesn't show up as an output, have I missed something, or is my HAT a goner?

Mats 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2021, 01:39:05 pm »

Thanks for the absolute best (love the tweaks) media (audio in my case) player/server EVER!  :)

If one has a "Hifiberry digi+" HAT installed when booting IdPi up, will this show up under the "advanced - audio menu" and offer more than just HDMI and this other legacy thing I can't remember the name of (phono...?) to put out?

I have a strong feeling that my HAT is a FUD now, I can't see anything but the above in the menu where you ought (i think) to be able to choose digital out.

This HAT has served me well running as a renderer ever since the Pi3 up until Pi4. But now when my SD card got corrupted, and it would take me far more time than I have, plus I'm a retard regarding Linux (hehe I'm even illiterate around a PC). I ordered the IdPi, but my HAT doesn't show up as an output, have I missed something, or is my HAT a goner?

Mats
Check the HAT to be sure it's seated properly.
On the Id you can do function 10 from the main menu to see if it shows up there.
Perhaps try a different power supply? If the supply current is low the Pi can have trouble with add-on devices.

Noobman

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2021, 01:56:03 pm »

Check the HAT to be sure it's seated properly.
On the Id you can do function 10 from the main menu to see if it shows up there.
Perhaps try a different power supply? If the supply current is low the Pi can have trouble with add-on devices.

Done all that, function 10 just shows me the HDMI and "the other thing I forgot the name of".
Another thing, when I check either one of these options (Auto, HDMI and "Phono?) I got an error message...(sorry for not being more explicit).

Same power supply for either the Pi3 and Pi4 I always used.

Will this HAT show up under "advanced - audio menu" in normal conditions without any tampering from us users?
If so, it's a FUD.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2021, 04:18:16 pm »

Done all that, function 10 just shows me the HDMI and "the other thing I forgot the name of".
Another thing, when I check either one of these options (Auto, HDMI and "Phono?) I got an error message...(sorry for not being more explicit).

Same power supply for either the Pi3 and Pi4 I always used.

Will this HAT show up under "advanced - audio menu" in normal conditions without any tampering from us users?
If so, it's a FUD.
Yes.
And option 10 should show this (I have one):
Card 0, ID `ALSA', name `bcm2835 ALSA'
  Device 0, ID `bcm2835 ALSA', name `bcm2835 ALSA', 7 subdevices (7 available)
    1..2 channels, sampling rates 8000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000 Hz
    Sample formats: U8, S16_LE
  Device 1, ID `bcm2835 ALSA', name `bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rates 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE
Card 1, ID `sndrpihifiberry', name `snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus'
  Device 0, ID `HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0', name `', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rates 8000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 384000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE, S32_LE

Maybe it took a EMF hit from lightening?
If you have a different Pi, try the HAT on it to see if perhaps interface circuitry on the Pi it's on is foobar?

Noobman

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2021, 05:52:10 pm »

Yes.
And option 10 should show this (I have one):
Card 0, ID `ALSA', name `bcm2835 ALSA'
  Device 0, ID `bcm2835 ALSA', name `bcm2835 ALSA', 7 subdevices (7 available)
    1..2 channels, sampling rates 8000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000 Hz
    Sample formats: U8, S16_LE
  Device 1, ID `bcm2835 ALSA', name `bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rates 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE
Card 1, ID `sndrpihifiberry', name `snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus'
  Device 0, ID `HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0', name `', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rates 8000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 384000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE, S32_LE

Maybe it took a EMF hit from lightening?
If you have a different Pi, try the HAT on it to see if perhaps interface circuitry on the Pi it's on is foobar?

This is my "option 10" return...(New to this board, so hopefully you see my attached .jpg)

Edit* Super sorry for this HUGE attachment!  :-[

Hehe, clear sky, and for us here in Sweden this means yeah!!!

Tried the HAT on both my Pi's. No problem whatsoever playing, browsing, and all the sweet stuff you're custom to when it comes to JRiver.

The HAT doesn't show up on either Pi's though!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2021, 10:44:38 pm »

Sorry to hear that, it sounds like it's toast.
Nice to hear you are having good weather, it's been pretty weird weather here.

Noobman

• Recent member
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2021, 02:19:33 am »

Sorry to hear that, it sounds like it's toast.
Nice to hear you are having good weather, it's been pretty weird weather here.

Thanks, Bob!

Before I order, will the Digi2 Pro also be compatible and found by the IdPi?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2021, 10:24:40 am »

Thanks, Bob!

Before I order, will the Digi2 Pro also be compatible and found by the IdPi?
I believe so but I haven't tried it.
If it works with the stock raspbian and you have the most recent IdPi build (will run on an Pi4 as well as Pi3) then we'll update it as necessary.

Noobman

• Recent member
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2021, 11:45:18 am »

Late reply, didn't catch it 'till now (Sweden also got this darn virus). Sorry!

This is what I love and expect from serious software "If it works with the stock raspbian and you have the most recent IdPi build (will run on an Pi4 as well as Pi3) then we'll update it as necessary."

My mind is at ease reading this.  :)

Mats

hlsy79

• Recent member
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2022, 09:56:17 pm »

Customarily we do not include the license on international shipments.  We sent the license to you in an email on August 2nd.  We re-sent the email to you again on August 7th.  Check your junk/spam folders.
Deanna

I did not receive a license with my IdPi SD card, and I can't find an email with that info.  Can that be emailed to me? thanks

Noobman

• Recent member
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2022, 10:30:38 am »

Finally, my new digi+ HAT arrived and it will show up in option 10. But how do you set the output to digital, HDMI is the default and always revert back to that?

In 14 System Mixer, F6 will list all my sound outputs, if I then go to my new HAT and choose "AIF" how can I save that so it sticks? There's no way to make that stick (the only way to leave this is by pressing ESC), it always reverts back to HDMI next time I go into "System Mixer".

In option 17 > 7 Advanced Options >  A4 Audio. Shouldn't there also be an option to choose my new digital outputs? I only got these options: Auto, Force 3.5, and Force HDMI. If I try one of these I got this error message "There was an error running option A4 Audio".

I guess I'm not cut out for this so sorry for my ignorance.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2022, 11:33:20 am »

Finally, my new digi+ HAT arrived and it will show up in option 10. But how do you set the output to digital, HDMI is the default and always revert back to that?

In 14 System Mixer, F6 will list all my sound outputs, if I then go to my new HAT and choose "AIF" how can I save that so it sticks? There's no way to make that stick (the only way to leave this is by pressing ESC), it always reverts back to HDMI next time I go into "System Mixer".

In option 17 > 7 Advanced Options >  A4 Audio. Shouldn't there also be an option to choose my new digital outputs? I only got these options: Auto, Force 3.5, and Force HDMI. If I try one of these I got this error message "There was an error running option A4 Audio".

I guess I'm not cut out for this so sorry for my ignorance.
No problem, this is a bit complex.
For MC you need to go into MC's audio options through the GUI either on the IdPi itself (if booting in GUI mode)
or connecting to it with VNC
or Remote desktop if you have it booting in text mode
or by using MC's integrated web control, Panel. (web browser from another machine to the IdPi on port 52199)
From any of those you can change the audio output device MC uses.
It will keep that change going forward unless you remove your HAT.

Noobman

• Recent member
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2022, 11:58:31 am »

No problem, this is a bit complex.
For MC you need to go into MC's audio options through the GUI either on the IdPi itself (if booting in GUI mode)
or connecting to it with VNC
or Remote desktop if you have it booting in text mode
or by using MC's integrated web control, Panel. (web browser from another machine to the IdPi on port 52199)
From any of those you can change the audio output device MC uses.
It will keep that change going forward unless you remove your HAT.

If nobody has told you today that you're the best, I will! Seriously though, you guys are simply the BEST!

Thanks from one happy JRiver camper.  :)

Fred H

• Recent member
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2022, 02:13:42 pm »

Using a new P1 4 B, which I received a few days ago, tried to boot using the JRiver IdPi-32GB msD I received yesterday. It didn't complete booting; the message was:
     Read config.txt bytes       1749 hnd 0x0000345b
     Read start4.elf bytes   2272992 hnd 0x00002a0b
     Read fixup4.dat bytes      5405 hnd 0x0000337d
     Firmware: <long number> Jun 1 2020 13:23:40 <more numbers, wrapping to next line>
     start4.elf is not compatible
     This board requires newer software
What should I do?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2022, 02:50:27 pm »

Using a new P1 4 B, which I received a few days ago, tried to boot using the JRiver IdPi-32GB msD I received yesterday. It didn't complete booting; the message was:
     Read config.txt bytes       1749 hnd 0x0000345b
     Read start4.elf bytes   2272992 hnd 0x00002a0b
     Read fixup4.dat bytes      5405 hnd 0x0000337d
     Firmware: <long number> Jun 1 2020 13:23:40 <more numbers, wrapping to next line>
     start4.elf is not compatible
     This board requires newer software
What should I do?
I'm going to send you a Direct Message (PM).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up