INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB cable - PC to DAC - does it matter?  (Read 2875 times)

sot13

• Recent member
USB cable - PC to DAC - does it matter?
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:27:09 am »

Hi to all! I would like your opinion on the following. I am using a dedicated old laptop running virtually only MC in Audio only mode. I hold my library in a separate NAS. The laptop is connected to a Musical Fidelity DAC which in turn send the signal to my Hi End system. I have connected the laptop to DAC via a run of the mill type of USB (A to B).
Based on your experiences and given that MC send bit perfect signal to the DAC, does the quality of the USB cable affect the quality of the end result (music)? Would it be worth in other words shopping for an new cable?

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: USB cable - PC to DAC - does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:36:26 am »

Your money would be much more wisely invested in buying some more music rather than on cables with extraordinary claims!

Spike

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 01:35:59 am »

Since you are using a NAS, you will want a pair of these Directional Ethernet Cables at only $5,494.75 & FREE Shipping ea.  The feedback speaks for it self!

....but personally I'd stick with Spike1000's advice.
JRiver CEO Elect

gdrichardson

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 03:49:15 am »

There is nothing worse in hifi than having a cheap cable fall apart. I don't believe in cable magic, but I am willing to spend enough to ensure good build quality. I use a Wireworld Cable Starlight USB cable from my PC to my Wyred4Sound DAC-2. The only cable I have where I can really hear a difference is the Double Helix Molecule headphone cable for my Audeze LCD-2s. It it very easy to swap with the stock cable, and it is a clear improvement.

sot13

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 04:23:59 am »

I adhere to the notion that everything counts in getting better sound out of the analogue system and anyone with an open mind and good pair of ears can hear or "feel" the differences over prolonged listening periods - (i.e. not A/B). At the same time, as in most things the law of diminishing returns heavily applies.
The question I am asking is whether fellow audiophiles have actually heard improved sound from the change of the specific cable given that we are talking about "perfect bit" transmission. I don't want the question to become the usual debate...
Thanks

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 04:48:25 am »

The question I am asking is whether fellow audiophiles have actually heard improved sound from the change of the specific cable given that we are talking about "perfect bit" transmission. I don't want the question to become the usual debate...
the answer to that Q is *always* yes, a quick google will tell you that (and will also tell you that the usual debate invariably ensues)
Pages: [1]   Go Up