INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you create a "read only" user ID?  (Read 2958 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Can you create a "read only" user ID?
« on: December 04, 2016, 11:18:43 am »

I'd like to create a read-only user ID in MC21.  I'd like for my kids to be able to use MC without the risk of them loading, deleting or moving something they aren't supposed to.  Is there a way to create such a restricted user account?

blgentry

Re: Can you create a "read only" user ID?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:04:43 pm »

JRiver's concept of users doesn't extend to the types of privileges you are asking for.  It's really designed to be more of a system of "show me my stuff only" kind of thing.

However, the functionality you want is probably covered by Party Mode.  When you put MC into Party Mode, songs can be played, queued up, viewed, etc.  But nothing can be deleted or created.  No playlists, no media, etc.  None of that can be altered.  So it's pretty safe from that standpoint.

View -> Party Mode

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Party_Mode

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:13:50 pm »

JRiver's concept of users doesn't extend to the types of privileges you are asking for.  It's really designed to be more of a system of "show me my stuff only" kind of thing.
Not exactly.  MC will honor the ratings you give files.  R, for example.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:33:04 pm »

OK, then perhaps I need to try the same thing through OSX on my Mac Mini.  I have created an account for me (administrator level so I can screw up anything I want) and one for everyone else.  However, when I log into the Family account and try to run MC the dialog box asking me to purchase MC pops up.  How do I fix that?

Also, I didn't see a way to restrict the Family account on the Mac to "read only".  Is there a way in OSX to make user account without write privileges?

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 03:32:33 pm »

OK, is there a way to restrict a particular user in MC to party mode?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 04:11:31 pm »

Let's say you have a Mac user for your son.  When he logs in, right now he probably doesn't see MC at all.  Because MC is installed on a per user basis on the Mac.  If this is the case, you're probably going to have to maintain a separate library anyway.  As you're going to have 2 different installations of MC on the same Mac.  This is (mostly) not a bad thing.  If the music itself (the song files) are owned by your user account and set to read only for everyone else, it means that his instance of MC can never modify your music files.  So the files themselves will be safe.  In his own MC library, he can do whatever he wants and it won't affect yours.

If you are wanting to share playlists, etc, that becomes a little more difficult, but I think you can figure out a procedure.

Brian.

macdonjh

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 05:43:20 pm »

Does "two installations of MC" on the same computer mean two licenses (paying twice)?  Or do I just have to sign in on the other account and reinstall the license I already have?

If I do that, do I then just create another library for the other user?  That second user would have access to everything on the computer, I just want that user to have only read access.  Sharing playlists won't be a big deal.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 05:48:15 pm »

MC's licensing is extremely generous.  They allow you to install MC on as many computers as you personally use/own within reason.  It's totally normal to install MC on 2, 3, or 4 computers at home and 1 at work, all from a single license.  So I would expect that installing MC twice on one computer, for two users, would be covered by the standard license.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up