INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pono support questions  (Read 13427 times)

Martyy

• Recent member
Pono support questions
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:05:11 am »

Here is my situation. I love my Pono music, am afraid to lose my library with the new beta PMV, and am happy to license JRiver software. My 5 year old laptop won't hold all my music so I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10. It is currently transferring all my music files on my C drive and will finish by tomorrow. Do I license and install the JRiver software on just my new computer? PMW is on my old computer. Do I install JRiver on the old computer also since that contains my Pono music library. Do I install PMW also on my new laptop. I am very confused and appreciate all the help. As you can tell, I am not used to difficult computer configurations. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Pono support questions
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:17:39 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  You can install JRiver Media Center 22 on your current machine if you want to, then again on the new machine.  You have a 30 day free trial before you have to purchase.  The coupon is only good through January 7th though.

You could also back up your library in PMW and restore it in MC.

Here's how licensing works:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Martyy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 01:59:57 pm »

Jim,
Thanks. Will do. Do I Have to also install PMW on my new computer? How will my music library, which is being downloaded to my C drive as we speak populate the JRiver software allowing me to connect my Pono device to it to install or delete new music files onto the Pono device? Will I get the same prompts to transfer files to either the E or F drive on the Pono device? Will the album art and metadata exist as it does now in PMW?
Once the downloading is complete by tomorrow, I will install JRiver. As you can tell, I just need to be able to download HD concerts, rip CD's and put them on the Pono devise for listening. Very unsophisticated, but all I need.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 05:14:46 pm »

You'll need to install MC on the new computer.

The wiki topic called Moving Files may be some help.

Martyy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:23:33 am »

I purchased JRiver media center 22, but not all my audio files, which are on the "this PC>Music folder on my computer, shows up. I followed the advice to import single files, but when I right click on the files it doesn't give me an 'import' option. What am I missing? How do I get all my music files on the MC.
Also, since I am a Pono user, can I now hook up my Pono device into the computer and transfer single files onto the device just like I did with PonoWorld? Will it give me the same prompts when the Pono device gets connected?
Thanks for your help.

mitchchavis

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 09:53:02 am »

I downloaded MC22 and transfered my music over. I see that MC also recognizes my Pono player. The interface is a little different from Ponomusic World and I'm having difficulty deleting some music on the Pono player in order to free up space for new music. I can delete outside of MC but I assume there is a way to both delete and add new music from within MC.

BTW, I did download the new Ponomusic Vault and the software locked my computer up. This happened a number of times even after deleting and reinstalling the software. I contacted Pono a few days ago and have heard nothing back.

My feeling is that Pono is having cash issues and may not recover. Thanks for assisting Pono owners and I look forward to using your service.

I also have Audirvana installed so I'll have an opportunity to compare your service with Audirvana. I do like the interface Audirvana has with iTunes so MC may serve as a tool for the Pono only but we'll see.

Thanks again for your assistance and I look forward to using MC22.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 11:28:57 am »

I downloaded MC22 and transfered my music over.

You should be able to do things in a similar fashion using MC22 as you did with PMW. A couple of questions and then I may be able to help:

Are you using a Windows PC or a Mac?
How were you syncing and/or deleting music from the PP with PMW?
Are you using the latest version of MC22 - 22.0.54

mitchchavis

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 12:35:55 pm »

Thanks for your response. I use Mac. On PMW I would highlight the tracks I wanted to get rid of on my Pono player and hit delete. I would then drag and drop new music to Pono. I tried deleting tracks with MC22.0.53(the newest) and the screen went to MC's home page and did not delete the highlighted tracks. At that point I pulled up the Pono outside of MC22 and deleted tracks. I have not yet tried the drag and drop on MC22 to add music to the Pono player.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 02:34:52 pm »

Thanks for your response. I use Mac. On PMW I would highlight the tracks I wanted to get rid of on my Pono player and hit delete. I would then drag and drop new music to Pono. I tried deleting tracks with MC22.0.53(the newest) and the screen went to MC's home page and did not delete the highlighted tracks. At that point I pulled up the Pono outside of MC22 and deleted tracks. I have not yet tried the drag and drop on MC22 to add music to the Pono player.

There is a newer version of MC22 available which is the first that has Pono features built in. It is 22.0.54. You can download it from here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108606.0.html

I use a different workflow, but I tried deleting the way you do. That did not work, but you can select the tracks and do a right click to delete. This approach works. You can drag content to the sync window and transfer them to the Pono Player.

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 09:35:12 pm »

Hello Countrybumkin, I was trying to play a song in MC Pono and I got this message "Something went wron with Playback. Details: Playback could not be started on the output "Direct Sound" using format 44.1kHz. The output format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP studio to change the output to a compatible format". I had double clicked on a song when I got this message. I have no problem playing files in PMW and iTunes and Amazon Library. I use PMW to play hi-res files through my DAC in my home stereo. My wife and I work on this for hours but can't seem to get it to play. I hope it is a setting problem. HELP!!! Please!!

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 10:13:24 pm »

Hello Countrybumkin, I was trying to play a song in MC Pono and I got this message "Something went wron with Playback. Details: Playback could not be started on the output "Direct Sound" using format 44.1kHz. The output format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP studio to change the output to a compatible format". I had double clicked on a song when I got this message. I have no problem playing files in PMW and iTunes and Amazon Library. I use PMW to play hi-res files through my DAC in my home stereo. My wife and I work on this for hours but can't seem to get it to play. I hope it is a setting problem. HELP!!! Please!!

Try this
Go to: Player->DSP Studio->Output Format-> In the Sample Rate section
change the Output to 48,000 Hz for the first 2 entries (Less than 44,100 Hz and 44,100 Hz)

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 04:49:59 am »

Magic, I tried to click on output and nothing happens. Above that is says "output encoding", where should that be set? right now it says "2xDSDin native format (requires ASIO and 2xDSD capable DAC" I can't get the sample rate to change where you told me to change it. If I can't get this to play it isn't worth much to me. Thanks.

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 04:53:51 am »

Magic, I went to PMW and it says NONE in the output encoding. Can I type "NONE" in there? I can't see any other way to change it??
Bob

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 04:58:10 am »

Hello Magic, I fixed it wooohoooo. I found the setting to enter 'NONE" in the output encoding and it plays now. I went back to PMW and saw that setting in there so I tried it:) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!! This is great!!
Bob

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 07:41:29 am »

Hello Magic, I fixed it wooohoooo. I found the setting to enter 'NONE" in the output encoding and it plays now. I went back to PMW and saw that setting in there so I tried it:) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!! This is great!!
Bob

Glad you are up and running.
Randy

wisker3600

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 09:08:20 pm »

Magic,,,When you are listening to a track on MC and click on another track the first track will bleed into the second by about 2 seconds, Is there a way to change this in "Track Changing"? Also there seems to be too much bass. Listening to Paul MacCartney "Ram" it is really evident. Of course he is a bass player:)
 What happens when PMW times out? Is it just dead?
Thanks,,,,Bob

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 10:16:52 pm »

Magic,,,When you are listening to a track on MC and click on another track the first track will bleed into the second by about 2 seconds, Is there a way to change this in "Track Changing"? Also there seems to be too much bass. Listening to Paul MacCartney "Ram" it is really evident. Of course he is a bass player:)
 What happens when PMW times out? Is it just dead?
Thanks,,,,Bob
When PMW times out you will no longer be able to open the app.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 11:55:26 am »

Not that it's a big deal, but I'm not seeing the "Pono Blue Icon" in my system using ver 22.0.54. I clicked on the "pono" tab and it shows, but no blue. I'm blue! Is there another setting I need to apply? Win 10 PC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 11:59:54 am »

Is it an unmodified file you purchased from Pono?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 12:35:33 pm »

Not that it's a big deal, but I'm not seeing the "Pono Blue Icon" in my system using ver 22.0.54. I clicked on the "pono" tab and it shows, but no blue. I'm blue! Is there another setting I need to apply? Win 10 PC.
I had the same issue but figured out what was going on.

I've been using MC22 all along - before 22.0.54 was released. There is a library tag called phc. That tag is what turns on the blue light. As this tag was introduced in 22.0.54 my existing library did not have values in that tag. Therefore the blue light would not come on. I did a test of updating my library tags from the files and the phc got populated, and the blue light appeared. I'll probably fix my library but to be honest the blue tag is not so important to me. I have a couple of questions and then I can make a recommendation to you.

What version of MC22 did you start with? Was it 22.0.54 or an earlier version?

How did you build your library? Did you backup and restore your PMW library or did you import everything fresh into MC22?

DJLegba

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 12:36:37 pm »

I don't have a Pono player but I did purchase several albums from the Pono store (back when there was such a thing). I checked after installing the new build, but none of them show up as Pono tracks. The only modifications would have been tagging with MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 12:38:20 pm »

I checked after installing the new build, but none of them show up as Pono tracks.
What build was that?

DJLegba

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 12:44:09 pm »

What build was that?

22.0.54 for Windows

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 12:50:05 pm »

Then Randy's method would probably work:

I did a test of updating my library tags from the files and the phc got populated, and the blue light appeared.

You could use it on a test file you bought from Pono.

l8mdl

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 01:12:40 pm »

I had the same issue but figured out what was going on.

What version of MC22 did you start with? Was it 22.0.54 or an earlier version?

How did you build your library? Did you backup and restore your PMW library or did you import everything fresh into MC22?

Started prior to 22.0.54.
Imported everything fresh

EDIT - Deleted my entire library and reinstalled. WORKED!!!

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 03:15:37 pm »

Started prior to 22.0.54.
Imported everything fresh

EDIT - Deleted my entire library and reinstalled. WORKED!!!
Glad you are up and running

BTW: before you did your edit, you had said you did an Update Tags (from Library). That won't work, what you need to do is Update Library (from tags). That said, what you did is probably faster.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 04:32:41 am »

drummaman

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 11:08:23 am »

"MC has a settiing for the cover art location.  Once you have set that, select a few files, right click and choose Cover Art > Quick Find."

Tried that. Did not work. I have to point it at the actual cover art jpg file, then I get a window full of error strings stating the file may be in use...

My initial email reply that led me to this forum:

"I've imported the Pono library, but none of the album covers came in.
When I try to tag the album cover, I get a page of errors stating the file is in use - and it is not.
I have pointed Media Center to the cover art (all JPG files) but unlike the Pono version, it does not auto-align the artwork with the files...
All I want to do is tag some recently ripped CD FLAC files with artwork, but now it looks like the entire library is messed up..."

Pages: [1]   Go Up