INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theaterview Skins  (Read 15469 times)

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
Re: Theaterview Skins
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:52 pm »

If I were young I would certainly give it a try but being in my 50's, I suspect it's long past teaching this old dog new tricks. 
 ;D

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:59 pm »

I think the idea of a custom HTML5 theater view sounds amazing. If you take a deep dive into the MC web service commands you can get almost everything you need to build a custom interface. 

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2017, 01:13:12 am »

Daniel, maybe you should learn how to do it.

You asked me the exact same thing:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106714.msg742244.html#msg742244

Unfortunately, many of us don't have the time or related skills (like knowing some CSS), which means we would be starting completely from scratch. So when we don't do it, it doesn't mean that we wouldn't like to do it. Personally I would be willing to pay for it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2017, 04:43:36 am »

Then perhaps you could think about what incremental changes we might make that are simple, non-controversial, and reasonably easy to do.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2017, 04:55:47 am »

I think the idea of a custom HTML5 theater view sounds amazing. If you take a deep dive into the MC web service commands you can get almost everything you need to build a custom interface.
Making a new interface is only half of the problem.  It also has to work.  It needs to be connected to all of MC's moving parts.  The reality is that it is probably a very very big job.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 05:01:36 am »

If I were young I would certainly give it a try but being in my 50's, I suspect it's long past teaching this old dog new tricks. 
I promise you that you will someday realize how young 50 is.

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2017, 08:20:01 am »

I'd like to throw my hat into this ring.

Daniel has some very interesting points and it's shame they seem to keep being stomped on.

The interface for mc hasn't changed in so long, the whole thing is looking very 'long in the tooth' - Most people would be hard pressed to 'see' anything different between the last 5 or 6 versions.  I know function is more important than form and there's no doubt you have been working very hard on adding features and improving others pretty much constantly over many years and for that I and many others are very grateful so please don't thing I'm complaining or grumbling.

Interface is very important though, especially when trying to attract new users.  Look at the web and apps and how much they have changed over the just the last 5 years.  I know change just for change sake is sometimes pointless, but not always, it refreshes things, helps it compete in an ever changing market.

I'm not going to go into specifics here, but there are countless UX professionals who could help make improvements with the interface/user experience.  Or is there a economic issue? Are funds too limited to draft in any more staff, even temporarily?
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

CountryBumkin

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 08:26:13 am »

I'm not going to go into specifics here, but there are countless UX professionals who could help make improvements with the interface/user experience.  Or is there a economic issue? Are funds too limited to draft in any more staff, even temporarily?

Maybe we could setup a "Go Fund Me" account for JRiver to hire someone just to update the Theater View look. :D

Daniel Warner

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 08:32:05 am »

If that's what it takes, I would pay into it.
Sybil, you're always ... refurbishing yourself

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 01:11:40 pm »

Maybe we could setup a "Go Fund Me" account for JRiver to hire someone just to update the Theater View look. :D

Why don't you try?  Not sure how much one would need to raise though.  You might find more people are interested than you think!  Obviously you would need to make sure it gets proper attention.

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2017, 02:37:53 pm »

Don't know if this is meant as a joke, but I'm definitely in. A part from MC I also subscribe to Plex and Emby because some situations demand a frontend with a more modern, fun and inviting interface, and because I need a good client for Windows tablets and phones. These subscriptions anually cost me €40-50 each and I'd rather give my money to JRiver.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up