INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 Crash with Tidal  (Read 8841 times)

sqitis

MC22 Crash with Tidal
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:32:33 am »

Hi All,

When I choose MC22 as my output device in the recent version of Tidal it crashes my machine within a few mins in the track.  Has anyone else seen this or know of a solution?

TIA!

gdrichardson

• Recent member
Re: MC22 Crash with Tidal
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:24 am »

I am using Tidal on trial and I fired up the Windows app pointing to JRiver 22 when I read your post. It is working fine with Master/MQA processing. When I first installed the app it did not recognized any of my outputs, but Tidal sent a fix for that.

sqitis

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:22:06 am »

I am using Tidal on trial and I fired up the Windows app pointing to JRiver 22 when I read your post. It is working fine with Master/MQA processing. When I first installed the app it did not recognized any of my outputs, but Tidal sent a fix for that.

Yes i had this same issue 2 weeks ago and Tidal did the same and updated the download.  However now it will play through to JRiver via MQA but all of a sudden will shut down my machine and throw a kernal crash issue.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 11:52:14 am »

Had the same problem a few weeks ago. It was related to Tidal "Exclusive" mode when using the JRiver wdm driver. It has been fixed in the few latest builds of Tidal PC app. Are you up to date?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:33:09 am »

On my computers (three Windows versions) I get BSoD when playing from the Tidal MASTERS through JRiver WDM and Exclusive audio setting in the Tidal PC app. This happens only when playing from the MASTERS catalogue, everything else plays just fine.

Some of you may experience the same, so FYI, Tidal is working on this. As far as I am able to figure out this only happens when playing through JRiver using the WDM driver. My hypothesis is still that something is broken in their end, since it worked fine a couple i builds earlier (Tidal PC app).

sbelter

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 01:47:51 am »

Anyone have any success resolving this issue yet - specifically playing Masters files via the WDM driver? Tidal support say that they're still working on it.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:05:26 am »

Tidal Win desktop app was updated today. Still BSoD when playing MASTERS collection to WDM driver in Exclusive mode.
But I noticed that playing exclusive to my DAC's ASIO driver is ok.

So it is the Tidal->WDM path that causes BSoD, not Tidal Exclusive MASTERS in general.

I noticed that MASTERS is played back at 88.2kHz, while other contents is at 44.1kHz. The ASIO driver swithces sample rate (seen in the driver user interface). Could this be a problem with the WDM driver not switching? I will test this by setting WDM to 88.2kHz/24 in Windows Audio Device setting and report back.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:07:14 am »

The WDM driver does not list 88.2/24 as a possible playback option (only 88.2/16)!

Devs - could this be the problem? And could you please add this option?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 09:30:00 am »

I'm not sure.  Look here on my computer:

It lists the sample rate and bitdepth just fine.

You could try unchecking the WDM driver in Options and checking it again to cause a reinstall.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 01:40:23 am »

This is strange. On my office workstation I don't see 88.2/24, while on the home server I do. Reinstalling MC23 WDM on the office computer had no effect. Maybe I should do a full re-installation of MC?

As a sidenote, the installs are not entirely the same. On the server, it still says MC22 WDM even if MC23 is the 'active' install. When installing MC23, the wdm driver did not show up even if it said so in the General->Features. At work, I took the effort to first uninstall MC22 WDM and then reinstall MC23 WDM. May be relevant, maybe not. I have not tested the new Tidal version at home yet.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 04:09:55 pm »

On both my work computers the 24/88.2 option is missing. Have no clue why, need to do some research.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »

I have been blaming Tidal for these BSoDs. Now I'm thinking it must be related to JRiver wdm driver. Tidal never crashes when playing to any other audio output than the wdm, but BSoDs instantly when playing certain content to the wdm. This happens on three different computers. Two Win7 enterprise and one Win10pro, tested with a few different physical DACs with exactly the same and reproducible result. This makes me think that the issue with the missing 24/88.2 option on two of these machines may not have any relevance, or at best is part of the problem.

Any chance you could try and reproduce this? Or point me in the direction how to troubleshoot further?

kktan

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 11:51:58 pm »

Mine does not have the 88.2/24 option either  :(

Luckbad

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »

I'm getting the same issue. Blue screen of death caused by the JRiver WDM driver.

It reproduces at 100% (instantly) if I try to play the Master version of "Bach Trios" with Yo-Yo Ma, Chris Thile, and Edgar Meyer going to JRiver. On the JRiver side, I'm using ASIO drivers to go to a Schiit Eitr.

P.S. This also happens with MC23.

On Thu 7/27/2017 11:58:21 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: jriverwdmdriver.sys (JRiverWDMDriver+0x1EEF)
Bugcheck code: 0xBE (0xFFFFB208621F3000, 0x8A0000037D8EC121, 0xFFFFDA810EB16160, 0xA)
Error: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\jriverwdmdriver.sys
product: JRiver WDM Driver
company: JRiver, Inc.
description: JRiver WDM Driver
Bug check description: This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: jriverwdmdriver.sys (JRiver WDM Driver, JRiver, Inc.).
Google query: JRiver, Inc. ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

On Tue 7/25/2017 7:36:05 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072517-10625-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: jriverwdmdriver.sys (JRiverWDMDriver+0x2090)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFDB8A6E41BB70, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8069DBF2090)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\jriverwdmdriver.sys
product: JRiver WDM Driver
company: JRiver, Inc.
description: JRiver WDM Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: jriverwdmdriver.sys (JRiver WDM Driver, JRiver, Inc.).
Google query: JRiver, Inc. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

winterwolf

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 01:35:34 am »

+1 WDM driver crashes when switching to Masters and BSODs machine

Trumpetguy

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 05:19:17 am »

Copy from recent post in another  thread on this topic:

Just tested new Tidal version 2.1.9.308, and still BSoD with JRiver WDM when playing Masters in Exclusive mode. Works well when outputting directly to DAC (exclusive), however, so again this points in the direction of WDM being the problem

As a sidenote: Masters play back as 88.2/24 when Tidal is decoding the MQA material to PCM. As pointed out in at least on other thread, the WDM driver lists 88.2 as supported format (under the "supported formats" tab), whereas it is not listed under the "Advanced" tab under the Default format drop-down list. Again, don't know if that is relevant.

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 09:34:09 am »

+1 same problem

Anyone tried it with MC 23?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:34 am »

I believe it's the same problem.

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 10:45:05 am »

Thanks Jim. Do you know if it's a Tidal problem or MC?

My guess would be MC, purely on the basis that it's MC that has driver-level access - it's quite hard for apps to cause a bsod now, it seems.

Are there any diagnostic tests we can run for you? Can you reproduce it?

winterwolf

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 11:04:48 pm »

Fixed for me with Tidal version 2.1.11.2 (W: 2.3.7--2) (NP: 2.4.3)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 12:58:12 am »

I'm hoping. I'm currently on 2.1.11.333 (W: 2.3.7--2) (NP: 2.4.2), which I can confirm does not work. The version numbering is strange, though, since my version is seemingly newer (.333 vs .2). The last number is still lower (2.4.2 vs 2.4.3).

Trumpetguy

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 05:35:40 am »

Fixed for me with Tidal version 2.1.11.2 (W: 2.3.7--2) (NP: 2.4.3)

How did you get this version?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 12:17:53 pm »

For reference, the issue seems to have been fixed in 23.0.81.

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 05:56:13 am »

For reference, the issue seems to have been fixed in 23.0.81.
Can this be confirmed by the devs? I'll upgrade if so.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 06:40:00 am »

Confirmed.

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 06:42:02 am »

OK I upgraded and now no longer have the BSOD problem, yay!

Sadly the playback of high-res stuff stutters despite lots of fiddling about with input and output buffers. But really I don't care about this, I have no real interest in high res music (and I loathe MQA with a vengeance), but I just don't want my music PC BSODing if I click on the wrong file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up