INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost Library  (Read 1984 times)

bokelley

Lost Library
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:17:48 pm »

I am running JRiver on a PC running windows 7 and the music library resides on a NAS network server. A couple of days ago, Win7 was updated and now JR has lost its mind and cannot find the NAS library and only wants to look on the local drive. It isn't an issue with the PC not seeing the NAS, it is. Where does JR store library info and how can I retrieve/restore it?

Thanks,
Brock

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lost Library
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:02:21 am »

Was the NAS mapped to Windows via a drive letter? If so, has this letter changed since the update of Windows? The simplest solution would be to use the same, permanently mapped, drive letter.

Spike

bokelley

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:14:20 am »

No, it is a named network drive which hasn't changed ID/mapping. Question is, where is the data that JR uses to catalogue the library stored? My frustration is that the library is on the order of 170,000 files that I have been systematically going through to rate. Maybe only 5-6,000 files thus far but I hesitate to start over unless the JR files are lurking somewhere I can't find.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:30:35 am »

Did you try restoring from a backup?  MC makes them automatically.  File > Library > Restore.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:45:27 am »

You probably have the (factory default) option to "fix broken links" turned on.  Fix broken links removes files when it can't find them.  This can happen if your NAS is temporarily offline or unavailable.  The option is here:

tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > fix broken links > (I recommend setting it to NO)

With it set to NO, MC will never again remove files when they are missing, either temporarily or permanently.

Now, how do you get your metadata and links to your NAS media back?  As Jim said, you should restore and MC backup.  MC makes backups about every 3 days automatically.  File > Library Restore Library > (choose backup here)

MC should default to putting you in the backups directory.  If it doesn't it should be in <Your User Directory>/Documents/JRiver/Media Center 22/Library Backups .  Just choose a backup made before you had this problem and MC should restore the right stuff.

As for your question "where is the MC metadata"?  It's in MC's database, which is typically located on your internal disk.  Full details here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library#Location_on_Disk

Good luck.

Brian.

bokelley

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 02:32:19 pm »

Did you try restoring from a backup?  MC makes them automatically.  File > Library > Restore.

Thanks, your info got me back on the right path. When I tried to restore via that method earlier, the only backups found were the "new" ones generated after the PC update...ie, a new library that was automatically generated from the local drive when I started JR after the update. Older versions are not visible via JR. The important note here is that I had to search for MC Backups outside of JR, find an appropriate zip file, copy and paste the address into the JR Restore browser window and all was fine after that.

Again, thanks for the help...much appreciated!

Brock

bokelley

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:52:12 pm »

You probably have the (factory default) option to "fix broken links" turned on.  Fix broken links removes files when it can't find them.  This can happen if your NAS is temporarily offline or unavailable.  The option is here:

tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > fix broken links > (I recommend setting it to NO)

With it set to NO, MC will never again remove files when they are missing, either temporarily or permanently.

Now, how do you get your metadata and links to your NAS media back?  As Jim said, you should restore and MC backup.  MC makes backups about every 3 days automatically.  File > Library Restore Library > (choose backup here)

MC should default to putting you in the backups directory.  If it doesn't it should be in <Your User Directory>/Documents/JRiver/Media Center 22/Library Backups .  Just choose a backup made before you had this problem and MC should restore the right stuff.

As for your question "where is the MC metadata"?  It's in MC's database, which is typically located on your internal disk.  Full details here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library#Location_on_Disk

Good luck.

Brian.

Brian, you were correct, Fix Broken Links is now set to No...

Brock
Pages: [1]   Go Up