INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to clean up library and remove specific folders  (Read 8314 times)

leperlord

• World Citizen
How to clean up library and remove specific folders
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »

Im having a heck of a time sorting a few things out .

1. I have a number of folders/HDDs  that are constantly having cds added and removed from them ,the problem is once deleted from my HDD , they remain in library . This gets rather messy for mr OCD :)

I always assumed the library was to update each time i rebooted JRiver .

What i would like to do is either make JRiver update those folders , and thus not report/show things i have deleted , or maybe i just remove/delete the entire folder /HDD and re add it .

Which ever you suggest is fine by me (Tho the latter would be time consuming) .

2. How can i browse a specific folder/HDD in cover art ?

Your jriver cover art browse is a work of beauty , maybe the 1st thing that converted me to JRiver before i was able to hear how brilliant it sounds .

For Ie: i would like to browse D:\D\1.Archived can delete : in cover art browse

3. I ve had some HDD failures , again the problem is that all those files remain in the library .
Ie: folder/HDD was H:/can delete .
How can I remove this from JRiver ?

Thank you all

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to clean up library and remove specific folders
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:55:40 pm »

do you have "update for external changes" checked in the import settings?

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:48:36 am »

Im not sure where that option is

I know where import is , but i cant find "update for external changes" checked in the import settings

I ve looked under library tools as well and fail to see that

Please tell me where it is found

Cheers

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:14:55 am »

I found Tools/Library Tools/Update Library (from tags)

When i try update tags(From library) im told i have disabled the option to allow media centre to update tags .

When i try update library ( from tags) sometimes it appears to do something , but i cant tell. Now tho i get a processed 1 file and 1 failure report

Of note i can only do any of this if i have files in playing now , if not i cant do anything with those options

I want to have library always update it self so as to not report deleted files/folders and report new and moved files

i thought i was on the correct path , apparently not

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 11:19:46 am »

FFS now ive mucked about and somehow changed the language to one i have no idea what it is

If i cant read the language presently how do i get it back to English ?

Thanks

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:26:03 am »

Ive accidentally changed it to french

So if one is versd in french , please help me navigate back to English

Cheers

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 11:29:35 am »

I sussed the language thing out

outils-language-English

Now back to my OP

im afraid to muck about too much now lol

Thanks

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 11:39:25 am »

Would running auto import now clean up and removed all the deleted files/folders and drives ?

it seems a lengthy way to do it tho

Thanks

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 12:34:18 pm »

Update for external changes:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > update for external changes > (check the box)

To allow MC to write tags to your files:

Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes > (check the box)

Brian.

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »

Thank you

Yes i did have that checked

I also did this

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > (Here is where i added folders to watch .i needed to add my new HDD/folders) 

Why would i choose "To allow MC to write tags to your files:" ?

Is there an advantage to that ? Does that mean MC will write tags w/out my permission/change tags ive already made ?

Thanks to all for the help

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 04:22:13 pm »

Both the options mentioned allow MC to change the library to reflect external changes (stuff you did to the file outside of MC)

Nothing will get changed that you haven't already changed outside the program.

If you do a lot of moving around outside of MC you probably want these checked so the library can try to keep itself updateD

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 05:29:48 pm »

2. How can i browse a specific folder/HDD in cover art ?

Your jriver cover art browse is a work of beauty , maybe the 1st thing that converted me to JRiver before i was able to hear how brilliant it sounds .

For Ie: i would like to browse D:\D\1.Archived can delete : in cover art browse

I think what you are trying to do here is use a view like the one in the attached image, and drill down into file locations to see what is in there. Not sure.

But if so, then take a look at the image. You can see I have drilled down from Audio > Files > G: > Music, and then I have changed the "List Style" in the menu that appears when I hover my mouse over the tab heading "Music" to "Album Thumbnail", which shows the Cover Art for the Albums I have in the "Music" directory. If I chose the "Thumbnail" List Style I would see the Cover Art for individual audio files, if they existed, or the default Album Art if they didn't.

Of course it would probably be better if you created a new view like the "Files" view, but using the List Style you prefer, rather than modify a Standard View provided with MC. I'll let you read up on how to create Views.

On the other questions you have answers, but it would be even better if you did all music addition, deletion, and tagging from inside MC, in which case the library would always be up to date, and wouldn't show deleted files any longer.
Research "Rename, Move, & Copy Files..." (F6) for moving and deleting CDs worth of files.
Research Ripping CDs in MC.
Research Views, file Selection, and Tagging.

EDIT1: Growl. The forum won't let me attach a image, even though it is small enough, and just a JPEG. I'll try posting and then adding the image.
EDIT2: Nup Won't add. Perhaps later. Forum problem? Yep, forum problem. I can't add an image that worked yesterday. Annoying. I'll try later.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 05:48:56 pm »

EDIT1: Growl. The forum won't let me attach a image, even though it is small enough, and just a JPEG. I'll try posting and then adding the image.
EDIT2: Nup Won't add. Perhaps later. Forum problem? Yep, forum problem. I can't add an image that worked yesterday. Annoying. I'll try later.
Could be related to our switch to https.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 06:01:45 pm »

Why would i choose "To allow MC to write tags to your files:" ?

Is there an advantage to that ? Does that mean MC will write tags w/out my permission/change tags ive already made ?

You specifically said that MC gave you an error when you tried to do Update Tags (from library).  The option I showed you allows MC to write tags to your files.  Without it, MC will not write any tags to your files.

Do you want MC to write tags to your files?  If so, check the option.  No, MC will not randomly change tags.  It will only write the tags that you set/change from within MC.

Your original issue of moving files around outside of MC is a sticky problem.  If you enable the option to remove missing files, then MC should remove references to files that you delete outside of MC.  But this option can be problematic with NAS devices, or with drives that are not always plugged in to your computer.  I like to turn that option OFF. But you can enable it if you want:
Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Tasks > Fix Broken Links > (choose option here)

The more correct answer is to stop moving files around outside of MC.  Use the Rename, MOve, and Copy files tool instead.  It's very powerful and is the right way to do this task if MC is your music/video manager.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 07:54:14 pm »

Sorry to the OP for being off topic, but if I can't post images, it is harder to show what to do!

I tried using https:// in the URL. Still didn't work.
I tried using a smaller version of the file, just 183KB. No go, although the post shows the space and details for the image, just not the image.

Could be some permissions thing with moving to https. I note that the forum still works using just http though, so maybe the transition isn't complete?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Spike1000

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 06:17:21 am »

Jim, you're still not completely switched over to https as the (a?) login page is still http and doesn't redirect to a (the?) https one  :(

(I can't seem to add attachments either)  :(

Spike

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 09:50:06 am »

Thank you all very much

This has been helpful .

PS i have never been able to add attachments either

Its been some while since i ve tried , i just remember it not working and thinking it was maybe because i was a newer member at the time .

Cheers

TKz

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 01:50:04 pm »

I would like to add to those looking for better library management, especially in theater mode.  The options often cited in these threads may work with media that JRiver has recorded but do not seem to manage files created or deleted by other programs.  For example, if a podcast is downloaded into the JRiver media folder, it will appear in JRiver.  Good.  But, if it is then deleted by another program, it still appears in the JRiver library until the reference to it is manually deleted by the user.   What is needed is some sort of Watch Folder function that removes all references to files that the Media Center no longer finds present in the folder.  If it is too difficult to do this in real time, there should be a option to schedule cleanups that remove all references and tags to missing media.

blgentry

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 02:23:05 pm »

@TKz:  The option you are asking for already exists.  It's called Fix Broken Links.  Set it to YES and it will delete references to files that are no longer on disk.  I don't like this option personally, because I want to have full control over this process.  But it sounds like a good option for you.

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > Tasks > Fix Broken Links > (set option here)

Brian.

TKz

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 04:51:04 pm »

The options to write tags and to fix broken links does not work as claimed.  I have problems with it as well.  In my experience none of these remove orphan links from the library.  I use Theater View more than any other.  If a file is added to a Movie of TV Folder, the file is recognized and added to the library.  But, if the file is removed by any means other than by using MC, the broken references and links remain.  I too would like to see better library cleaning.  I'd like a Watch Folders option that removes references to files MC no longer finds after periodic scans.  It would also like option to duplicate the file structure of the folder in which the file is found  When a subfolder of videos is added to a source folder, MC sometimes divides the files between Movies and TV Shows seemingly arbitrarily, even when all the files are in a single subfolder of one or the other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up