INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view slowmotion menus and hangings.  (Read 2576 times)

zebm

• Recent member
Theater view slowmotion menus and hangings.
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:02:35 am »

I run MC22 22.0.108

Ever since I upgraded to MC22 last summer I have issues with theaterview menus and MC hangings. I've lived with it so far but I thought it's time to post the problem and see if anyone experience the same and maybe have a solution. My feeling is that it's a DirectX problem because of earlier posts I've read and sometimes a black screen with some  'DirectX' error shows up on the screen.

As long as I use MC audio/video everything works fine but my family uses many none MC audio/video apps like Netflix (Windows app), Hulu, Xfinity, Amazon video (webapps via Chrome). All these apps starts from the Theater View menu as 'external program'.

Not always but sometimes when we have used some 'external apps' and returns to Theater view menu the menu works in slowmotion when going between menu items. If you wait maybe 20 seconds it goes normal and everyhing is fine or if you change to standard view and back to theater view everything is returns to normal. Nothing shows in Windows eventlog.

Sometimes it gets worse and hangs the MC app completely and MC must be restarted. This shows in the Windows eventlog.

It feels like the longer I use an 'external app' outside MC the risk of getting the 'slowmotion' problem gets bigger. Often if I have used an 'external app' in the evening and the external app is still open during the night, the morning after when the screen/receiver starts up, the MC app hangs completely. All the PCs are 'allways ON' so I don't let them sleep.

I've run through all the steps in the troubleshoooting guide but nothing helps.

I run MC21 on three PCs in my home in Sweden where I don't have this issue. (one Intel HD530 and two HD4000)
I run MC22 on three PCs in my condo in US where I have this issue on all three. (one Nvidia GT1030 and two HD4000)

All the tweeks and stuff are the same on all these PCs except for that I run the TV feature in US and not in Sweden.

All PCs run the latest build/patch of Windows 10 with latest gpu drivers and the latest build MC21/22.

All PCs run on internal harddrives and no external NAS or anything.

In my troubleshooting I've tried:
- old gpu drivers
- no TV feature
- no enabled virusprogramme
- different graphics configs in MC like red october and not red october, hardware gpu and not hardware gpu.
- Reinstalling Windows 10 and MC22 on two PCs using as much default as possible.
- OpenGL experimental option in theaterview/advanced and I can't reproduce the same problem but I get other problems and the interface gets a little laggy so that does not seem to be an option.

I will live with this because JRiver is so brilliant in every aspect but it would be nice to solve this issue.

Hope for a solution. / Alex

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater view slowmotion menus and hangings.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:30:34 am »

In MC's video settings, try toggling Hardware Acceleration.

zebm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:27:34 am »

In MC's video settings, try toggling Hardware Acceleration.
I tried that and also tried toggling other settings. The problem remains. The problem is consistent on all the different installations I have done with MC22 so I suppose I do some strange tweek that's not good or else more people would have the same problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:41:35 am »

Did you try Red October Standard?

Are the files local? 

A drive spinning down could cause problems.

zebm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:01:09 am »

Did you try Red October Standard?

Are the files local? 

A drive spinning down could cause problems.
All files are local. The library is on SSD and the mediafiles on another hard drive but local. I even set the powersettings so the drives never spin down. I have tried Red October standard and advanced. No change.

The problem shows when theater view is out of focus maybe more than 15min and it seems it gets worse the longer theater view is out of focus. If it's long enough the MC app hangs completely.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:03:14 am »

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Please turn off the Tapatalk ad under signature settings.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:05:24 am »

Please take a look at this thread for ideas:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,24031.0.html

A network card can go into a power saving mode.

Explore the Windows power settings.

zebm

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 07:32:52 am »

After some more testing I think I finally got rid of the symtom. When I check 'No theme' under 'Appearance' the problem goes away. Yeeeae! So something to do with the default theme triggers this. To bad about loosing the nice background pictures but this solution is fine with me.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up