INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb Question? Restore or edit song/track #’s in MC23 Windows 7?  (Read 2009 times)

jaredmmyers

I have nine albums that I recorded from vinyl to DSD128 5.6 MHz .DSF format and each song has the track # at the beginning of it.  Example:  01_Band on the Run.dsf

After adding a main folder to the MC23 that contains folders of each album, MC deletes the track numbers and I am left with:  Band on the Run.  It does this to every song.  None of my songs have track numbers after adding to the library, so MC then files them in no specific order by artist, album or folder.  I can go to each individual album and play those songs however, MC plays them out of order from the way the album was recorded by track/song #’s.

How can I get MC to accept the # associated with the tracks/songs or how can I edit them to match each track/song #?

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dumb Question? Restore or edit song/track #’s in MC23 Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:21:12 pm »

Check/modify "track" tag of each audio ... there is also "disc#" and "total disk" if one album have multiple disk
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:26:59 pm »

To add the track numbers manually select the tracks and call up the tagging window (lower right Action WIndow - Tag). Then you can put the correct track number in the Track # tag.

If the filenames still have the track number in them, you can select the tracks and right click and select Library Tools and Fill Properties from Filename. Do a couple first as a test.

Spike1000

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:38:14 pm »

MC works by building up a database of information from the 'Tag' or 'Meta data' associated with each track. If you've ripped from vinyl you may have named the physical files with some of the artist/track information but as tij said it looks like the track number (at least) is missing from the tag meta data. Action Window | Tag is your friend here. It is possible to parse the filename to read the track number but auto numbering track tags in MC is very fast.

Populating the meta data for manual rips (eg vinyl recordings) can be laborious but there are tools to help automate this via internet lookups (like with CD rips) if you have a lot to do.

Spike

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 11:24:59 pm »

It is possible to parse the filename to read the track number but auto numbering track tags in MC is very fast.

For this read this https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools

What you looking for is "Fill properties from file name" ... select individual tracks (or can do multiple at once ... but try on one track first) ... right click on it ... then "Library Tools" -> "Fill properties from file name"

Since your track are named "01_Band on the Run.dsf" ... I would assume

your directories would be [Artist]\[Album]

and your filename would be [Track]_[Name]

REMEMBER ... try on one file first
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

jaredmmyers

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:29:37 pm »

To add the track numbers manually select the tracks and call up the tagging window (lower right Action WIndow - Tag). Then you can put the correct track number in the Track # tag.

Thanks!  I found the tagging window on my lower left.  I suppose windows can be customized although mine is still in default mode.

jaredmmyers

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 01:31:38 pm »

MC works by building up a database of information from the 'Tag' or 'Meta data' associated with each track.

Spike

Thanks!  I found the tagging window!!

jaredmmyers

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:43:22 pm »

For this read this https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools

What you looking for is "Fill properties from file name" ... select individual tracks (or can do multiple at once ... but try on one track first) ... right click on it ... then "Library Tools" -> "Fill properties from file name"

Since your track are named "01_Band on the Run.dsf" ... I would assume

your directories would be [Artist]\[Album]

and your filename would be [Track]_[Name]

REMEMBER ... try on one file first

Thanks!  I tried the "fill properties from file name" although it did not do anything.  There are several different options and I tried them all, including [Artist]\[Album], [Track]-[Name].  I had to undo a few times as things got goofy: (Artist was renamed to the master folder etc.).  I even tried "Lookup Track Info From Online Database". It added a track number to the song I was trying however it gave it #2 when it is actually song #1.

I finally figured out how to add a column for Track #.  Right click the gray menu bar and select Track #.  Then I could slide it in front of the song names.  I noticed it did this on all nine folders even though I was only working in one.  From there, I can tag each song/track with a number and it shows up in the new column.  I did this for an entire album and was then able to sort (by clicking the track # gray header) by song number ("Sort Inside Groups by Track #) so now they are in order as the artist intended. 

On interesting note is that if I however the mouse over a track, it shows the path and name of the track which includes the track number in front of the song just as it was burned.  In the MC window however the track number is deleted.  At least by hovering I knew which number to tag each file with.  Just getting to know MC and it seems pretty powerful albeit complicated.  Not sure why it wants to rename the tracks although at least I have the work-a-round.

In fact I found a quicker way to add the track #'s.  Right click a song on the blank Track # column, select > Rename and an edit box pops up, Add Track # and hit enter.  I confirmed it updates in the tag window box.

I can play my DSD128 files from my USB drive on my OPPO 205 although it converts them to PCM.  If I play through the OPPO 205 from the USB DAC it plays DSD128 in native format which is where MC comes in and boy howdy does it sound awesome!

Thanks again!

Cheers!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up