INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Practice question?  (Read 3021 times)

GaryB

• World Citizen
Best Practice question?
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:06:57 am »

I'm now the proud owner of two RP Id's and one Intel NUC ID with solid state drive.  All 3 are used as play back devices
Music is stored on a synology Nas. A Windows PC is used for ripping audio and VNC to the Linux boxes.

Initially the NUC was my Library server but when I added the Pi's I configured them with mounts to the Synology box, so I think I've ended up with 3 library servers?

There are a couple of DLNA devices on the network that I send music to as well as occasional listening on IPad via JRemote.

In the summer the NUC and NAS come on holiday with us, so the Pi's can not be used standalone nor do I want to.

How would a MC expert configure this

All advice gratefully listened to.

Gary

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Best Practice question?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:29:33 am »

Hi, no answer at all so far..?

I have more simple setup:
- QNAP NAS with DLNA enabled: storing all media files
- new NUC Id, with DLNA enabled
- Windows laptop: to rip CDs and do metadata management, running MC23, with DLNA enabled
- iPhone and iPad: using JRemote

What I’m trying to figure out is how to optimize the Libraries, where I want the NUC Id, the QNAP NAS, and the Windows laptop to all share the same version of Library (to share tags, meta-data, ratings, etc), in context of following concerns:
- JRiver strongly recommends to run Library locally on hard-drive: so single shared Library on NAS seems sub-optimal, and I need 3 copies...?
- Now the Id runs fine with the Library that is available on the NAS through DLNA: but I have no clue how this Library is/was created..? I never did, and don’t know how to manage it..?
- I know MC supports syncing of Libraries, which should perhaps provide the solution. But I have 3 devices/Libraries: which is to sync to which to avoid conflicts? And no clue how I can ‘force’ the Library on the NAS to sync to, say, the Id...?
- I want all my media files to remain on the NAS

All suggestions welcome!
Txs,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 12:02:29 pm »

You could use the Id as your primary server, and set it to auto-import from the NAS.

The Windows machine could rip and store files on the NAS, where the Id could find them.

Any machine could connect to the Id's Library Server.

In general, try things.  There are lots of possibilities.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 05:53:07 am »

You could use the Id as your primary server, and set it to auto-import from the NAS.

The Windows machine could rip and store files on the NAS, where the Id could find them.

Any machine could connect to the Id's Library Server.

Ok - I'll give it a try. But for my understanding: what is the "QNAP JRiver Library"? It comes out-of-the-box in QNAP it seems... I didn't create it, and not sure how I can manage it (change metadata etc)...?
Txs

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 06:50:59 am »

Hi,

I have created Library on Id as suggested:
- local Library, set as Library Server
- monitoring NAS via mounted folder: with Admin credentials

Two issues:
- when trying to load this Library from a Windows laptop, it says "There was a problem loading" (no more info, so don't know root-cause)
- on the Id, I get error message saying "File Location can not be read-only", when trying to save any changes in Options

With regards to the second issue:
- I connect to NAS with Admin rights
- I checked permissions on the NAS: they are Read-Write
- I also set USB setting to Read-Write (although no USB disk is mounted)
It seems more that the Write-issue points to local SSD on the Id,  where the Library is located. But don't know who to check permissions there..?
I also note that meta-data changes are not registered (such as Ratings), which confirms the Write-issue.

Appreciate advice on how to:
- load Library of Id on Windows laptop (running MC23)
- resolve the Write-issue

txs

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 07:22:33 am »

You're apparently doing two things.

1.  Using the Id to import files from a NAS drive.

2.  Connecting to it from another machine, using Media Network.

Make sure that the first one works and that you can play from MC on the Id, before going on to the second.  I think you believe that this works.

The Media Network topic on the wiki tells you how to connect to another machine.  You should find the Id under Playing Now on your Windows machine. 

You could also try using the Access Key to connect.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:08:43 am »

Jim,
On (1): as I explained: I can play MC on the Id; I can also control it over JRemote (using Access Key) and play to my DAC. But I get the error message I described when trying to make changes in Options.
Do you have suggestions for the Write-access error issue?

On (2): while we first have to fix (1), I can confirm I have read the Wiki; I know how to connect to another machine; and I did connect to various machines in the past using Access Key. I believe the issue here however may perhaps be caused (partly) by (1): I can't activate the Authentication function in MC's Options, as I  get message "audio file location can not be read-only", and I can only Cancel to exit Options.

Suggestions appreciated

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 02:08:06 pm »

Hi...?
Anyone any suggestions with regards to “file location can not be Read-only”?
Would be nice to get my new Id fully setup  :-\
Txs

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 02:26:12 pm »

Hi...?
Anyone any suggestions with regards to “file location can not be Read-only”?
Would be nice to get my new Id fully setup  :-\
Txs
What revision are you running? (MC version number in the main menu)

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 02:45:39 am »

Hi Bob,

My Id is about 2 months old: I'm running Id:22.0.81, MC:23.0.84, Engen: 1.0.69

Bas

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 08:40:02 am »

Hi Bob,

My Id is about 2 months old: I'm running Id:22.0.81, MC:23.0.84, Engen: 1.0.69

Bas
Would you try running function 12 (check for updates)?
Make sure it can reach the internet.
Thanks.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 06:13:47 am »

Would you try running function 12 (check for updates)?
Make sure it can reach the internet.
Thanks.
Hi Bob,
Indeed: the Id updated, and now the "file location can not be read-only" error message when trying to update Options no longer appears:-)
Further, I can now load the Library from the Id on my Windows laptop: I noticed that I had MC21 open instead of the MC23 version which also runs in parallel. I have now removed MC21, and loading of Id Library works fine.
Updating ratings from Windows laptop, iPad, iPhone now all work (although MC23 on Id did freeze at one point when updating from Windows laptop...).
So all issues seem resolved, due to upgrade, and due to using same MC version. All seems good now, and ready to enhance the metadata of my collection:-)
Thanks for support
Bas

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 09:06:55 am »

Hi Bob,
Indeed: the Id updated, and now the "file location can not be read-only" error message when trying to update Options no longer appears:-)
Further, I can now load the Library from the Id on my Windows laptop: I noticed that I had MC21 open instead of the MC23 version which also runs in parallel. I have now removed MC21, and loading of Id Library works fine.
Updating ratings from Windows laptop, iPad, iPhone now all work (although MC23 on Id did freeze at one point when updating from Windows laptop...).
So all issues seem resolved, due to upgrade, and due to using same MC version. All seems good now, and ready to enhance the metadata of my collection:-)
Thanks for support
Bas
Thanks for the report back and good to hear you got it going!

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 03:25:37 am »

Hi Bob,
Still struggling with one element: being able to manage metadata using the Windows laptop, where for instance Cover Art can not be updated in current architecture; this still needs to be done directly on Id.
Can you perhaps comment on this thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111485.msg795798.html#msg795798?
Txs

MikeO

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 02:54:48 am »

Fraid so this has always been the case , you can only add artwork on the server

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up