INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Paradise.... Playlist different than what is playing  (Read 2980 times)

GaryB

• World Citizen
Radio Paradise.... Playlist different than what is playing
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:35:40 am »

I have tried searching the forum for the above title... However I haven't seen anything to help.
I was rather hoping that the new .52 release night have corrected the issue I have as I believed that the streaming part of MC was not fully implemented.

I am watching the MC screen via VNC and since I started it about 20 minutes ago not one of the songs that keep being added to the playlist matches the sound coming from mty speakers...
Its now playing a 4 minute "listener supported" item according to the screen but the speakers are playing a song...It has justt rolled into the new song which should be
"Death Cab for Cutie" but is in fact "Bob Marley"
Any ideas?

PS Radio JRiver Rock works well!!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

I have tried searching the forum for the above title... However I haven't seen anything to help.
I was rather hoping that the new .52 release night have corrected the issue I have as I believed that the streaming part of MC was not fully implemented.

I am watching the MC screen via VNC and since I started it about 20 minutes ago not one of the songs that keep being added to the playlist matches the sound coming from mty speakers...
Its now playing a 4 minute "listener supported" item according to the screen but the speakers are playing a song...It has justt rolled into the new song which should be
"Death Cab for Cutie" but is in fact "Bob Marley"
Any ideas?

PS Radio JRiver Rock works well!!
Will do a test and see if we can reproduce that here.. Thanks.

BradATIMA

Does it always do this or does it only happen when the first item is the listener supported commercial?

GaryB

• World Citizen

Does it always do this or does it only happen when the first item is the listener supported commercial?

No, but I have noticed that some times if it is a “ listener supported” as a first track then it stops at the end of it. I have also noticed that quite a few times the first song will be correct then, from then on it runs out. I have also noticed the pause seconds before the end of the track that has been reported elsewhere, plating with pre-buffering lengths does not affect this. It is set for gapless play back.
I have tried disconnecting my USB DAC and using the Nuc’s internal sound card ..makes no difference.
I have also noticed that if I try to play Paradise from Panel ( on iPad) it sometimes doesn’t start but when I look with VNC there is a message attached.

Hitting ok will often cause it to play, but occasionally come up with a “ localhost message can not find server..”

Playing from JRiver radio is faultless.

Incidentally playing any of the other radio streams from Panel (fip, Swiss, etc) doesn’t work at all, but if I look on VNC it has launched the web page for the stations.

Gary

GaryB

• World Citizen

Will do a test and see if we can reproduce that here.. Thanks.
Thanks Bob

GaryB

• World Citizen

Hi Bob, BradATIMA
Have you any ideas yet, or even been able to recreate my
RP problem?

bob

• Administrator

Hi Bob, BradATIMA
Have you any ideas yet, or even been able to recreate my
RP problem?
We were, but only when the listener supported showed up in the list.
So far it's difficult to get a repeatable result.

BradATIMA

I've seen it display the listener supported commercial as several minutes long. This would indicate it's already getting the wrong data. At that point, it will also show one of the audio files with a duration of about 10 seconds.

The strange part is I've only seen this while using VNC to control Media Center on the Id. So far, if I control the Id directly, I haven't seen this.

You mentioned using VNC to watch Media Center, but are you using VNC to control Media Center and start Radio Paradise or are you using some other method? Have you tried using Remote Desktop? Does this always happen, or does it only happen occasionally?

GaryB

• World Citizen

OK
I'm using the NUC ID in headless mode with a USB DAC, Control has been attempted using Panel ( Safari on iPad).
So when I click on Paradise using Panel and it doesn't play I have been using VNC on the iPad to see what's going on...or isn't going on!

Most of the time I get the message "There is a problem right now and playback cant be started"

Clicking on OK clears the message and another attempt may either

a) Start Playback

b) Cause the message to reappear

c) Give me the Localhost error.

This afternoon I have abandoned the iPad and got the laptop out and using RDP instead of VNC gave me the same issues. (The RDP client on the iPad is a disaster and the screen sizing is all over the place)

I managed to get it to play  Screenshot attached.
What it actually played was..

Listener supported
Nothing to Remember ... Neko Case
Concrete Sky .........Beth Orton
Highway Song....Patti Griffin
Wooden Ships Crosby Stills & Nash
Listener Supported trail
Close Your eyes .... Grey eye glances
In like the Rose ......Black Rebel Motor Cycle Club
Johnny Appleseed .....Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros

So the only 2 things that are right is the listener supported and Nothing to Remember..but in the wrong place..

Then it stopped and as you can see it has gone back to listener supported

In the meantime I got my phone out and use the paradise app to find out what they were playing and it matched the playlist on MC .... but had the right Audio

Baffled of Derbyshire !

bob

• Administrator

I'll let Brad comment on the playlist mixup logic but I did notice you say that you were getting warnings in the VNC window. If you are running in headless text mode you shouldn't see message box warnings, MC just fails silently to avoid blocking when there is an issue. Given that I'd guess you are running in GUI mode without a monitor attached. You might want to try running in text mode instead which enables the non-blocking behavior.

GaryB

• World Citizen

If I connect a monitor I just get the text screen no Gui is that the wrong mode?
Option 2....

:o :o :o :o :( ? ? ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

That could be a remote desktop problem.

GaryB

• World Citizen

That could be a remote desktop problem.

Sorry Jim I don't understand. Bob ( I thought) suggested in the quote above that MC must be in GUI mode with no monitor attached. I said that if I attach a monitor all I get is the text menu no GUI. But to make sure I did option 2 from the RDP screen and repeated my actions. I then reconnected via RDP to find the message that is shown in my Screenshot.

I'm obviously too old or too English to understand ! ? 

bob

• Administrator

No actually #2 is correct and it shouldn't be putting up that box.
I'm assuming that's a bug in the streaming radio playback code, probably need to get Matt to take a look at it Monday.

GaryB

• World Citizen

No actually #2 is correct and it shouldn't be putting up that box.
I'm assuming that's a bug in the streaming radio playback code, probably need to get Matt to take a look at it Monday.

I have taken the Nuc home to try to eliminate network issues, so I have gone from a 4G mobile network to a 80 meg Fttc network.
I’m pleased to report that it has not made a blind bit of difference to the performance of RP.
It still comes up with can’t start playback message, and then when I can get it to play, it still displays tracks that aren’t actually playing.. it still pauses at the end of every track whilst it loads the next song...

I have now tried using the hdmi output instead of the DAC again no difference

It is now playing counting crows, whilst displaying Jeremy Limb.
Billie Holliday as Joni Mitchel
Fleetwood MAC as Pearl Jam?

Also I have noticed that when I play stuff from a category on radio JRiver that if I select that category again then it serves up the same playlist? I thought Jim had said that one should get a different playlist each time? Or am I just being unlucky?
Do you think I should rebuild the system completely?
Or could it be something to do with the metadata and audio being served from different places?

By the way I have connected a monitor to it and not using VNC or RDP and it behaves the same....

GaryB

• World Citizen

Later on...
It stopped after 13 tracks.
If I scroll backcourt to the top it plays all the wrong songs again.
I have checked the RP playlist against my iPad and the playlist is correct .. just the wrong audio. The durations shown are for the audio file that actually played Not the playlist.

JimH

• Administrator

We did some testing.  It may be a VNC problem.

GaryB

• World Citizen

We did some testing.  It may be a VNC problem.

“By the way I have connected a monitor to it and not using VNC or RDP and it behaves the same....”

bob

• Administrator

“By the way I have connected a monitor to it and not using VNC or RDP and it behaves the same....”
We still have not been able to duplicate tracks getting out of sequence on the console.
Are you playing one playlist (hitting play once)
and is repeat playlist on of off?

GaryB

• World Citizen

Hi Bob,

I have now tested this on my 2 Pi Id’s my Nuc ID and my Windows 10 Pro Nuc
All 3 of the Linux boxes habitually pop up the “playback cannot be started message” ( in or out of GUI Mode). This happens for nothing else apart from RP.
However the random music fault is not just related to the Linux box...it happens on my Windows box as well???

I’m wondering if this could be a locale problem as it is consistent across my estate..

Would it help if you connected to a box to have a nosey round...I’m completely baffled and Mrs B is becoming more grumpy by the moment!

bob

• Administrator

Hi Bob,

All 3 of the Linux boxes habitually pop up the “playback cannot be started message” ( in or out of GUI Mode). This happens for nothing else apart from RP.
However the random music fault is not just related to the Linux box...it happens on my Windows box as well???

I’m wondering if this could be a locale problem as it is consistent across my estate..

Would it help if you connected to a box to have a nosey round...I’m completely baffled and Mrs B is becoming more grumpy by the moment!
This is NOT using JRemote, correct?

GaryB

• World Citizen

Hi Bob,

If you wish I could let you into my Windows Desktop  ( that has MC 24 on it as well) and from there you could rdp/vnc everything..
The Linux NUC is not on the NW at the moment as it is returning to the boat with us after the weekend

bob

• Administrator

Hi Bob,

Also, on the Id's what playback device are you using?

GaryB

• World Citizen

This is NOT using JRemote, correct?
Correct using Panel or RDP

bob

• Administrator

Just trying to nail it down further, if you connect to a windows machine with remote desktop and play RP on that windows machine to a local device and you can get mismatched playlist?
(leaving out the Id's, JRemote, Panel, etc).

GaryB

• World Citizen

Also, on the Id's what playback device are you using?

Kitchen ID is just 3.5mm jack
Lounge ID USB DAC
The Nuc ID on the boat I was using USB Dac but tried it also with headphone Jack, and when I got it home HDMI

My windows NUC HDMI

Office PC on board sound

JimH

• Administrator

The Id is an Id, not an ID.  It rhymes with kid.

JimH

• Administrator

I wonder if, for Panel, this is an old problem that has been fixed in the latest build of MC.  If you haven't done so, test with MC 24.0.56 on your Windows machine.  It's here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117795.0.html

Connect to it from a browser on another machine.

Keep VNC and RDP out of the testing, just to see what MC does by itself.

GaryB

• World Citizen

The Id is an Id, not an ID.  It rhymes with kid.

I apologise it’s a Lazy way to stop the darn IPad correcting Id to I’d. And ID is closer to Id than I’d

GaryB

• World Citizen

I wonder if, for Panel, this is an old problem that has been fixed in the latest build of MC.  If you haven't done so, test with MC 24.0.56 on your Windows machine.  It's here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117795.0.html

Connect to it from a browser on another machine.

Keep VNC and RDP out of the testing, just to see what MC does by itself.

Ok I have just downloaded .56 on my NUC Windows Machine (This is the machine I use on my home Network as my JRiver Library server ( Music on NAS) and have launched RP from Panel on my IPad ....
It is playing out now, the first track was a listener supported trail but it appeared to be edited onto the front of the First Music track as it didn’t show up as a separate item.

GaryB

• World Citizen
Re: Radio Paradise.... Playlist different than what is playing
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 01:38:17 pm »

Ok so that was a Windows .56 machine no VNC no RDP launched by Panel
Has played 28 tracks non stop all appear to be correct.
What variable would you like me to add?

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 02:44:53 pm »

Whilst Panel was still connected to my Windows .56 machine, I selected “ Play To” one of my Pi Id’s. Selected Radio Paradise from Panel and the Id started to play ( a listener supported) trail and then stopped. MC on the Windows machine became unresponsive. After waiting 4 to 5 minutes I rebooted the Windows Machine. When it came back up the PI that I had selected was not present in the list on the Windows Machine although my other Pi Id was.
Rebooting the Pi brought it back. No VNC or RDP was in use on any machine.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 10:30:34 am »

Hello Bob, Jim,

Up to now it appears that my Windows Machine works perfectly on its own at Playing RP
I have now connected the Nuc Id to a monitor ( HDMI) so I am using a Keyboard and Mouse locally into the device. it sis connected to the same network port that the Windows machine was. I am not using VNC or RDP or Panel.
I have rebooted the Nuc, gone to the Streaming option in the menu and clicked the RP link on the screen ONCE
It almost immediately loaded a Listener supported item, played most of it and then stopped for about 30 seconds then populated the next item in the playlist restarted and finished playing the commercial. I then played a song ( not the correct one according to the playlist). It played almost to the end paused, loaded another song finished playing the fist then continued to the next item..also wrong.
At the present time it’s now played 6 tracks none of which are shown on the screen.

If I look at the Radio Paradise App on my phone the songs that are downloading onto the MC screen are correct but the Audio is wrong.

What do I try next?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 10:43:23 am »

If I look at the Radio Paradise App on my phone the songs that are downloading onto the MC screen are correct but the Audio is wrong.
What app do you mean here??

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 10:49:54 am »

The Radio Paradise App for IPad, I was looking at that to see what they were playing. It corresponds with what MC 24 has in its playlist....however the iPad app is playing the correct music whilst MC is not.

Hello Bob is there any update on my problem?

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 12:19:06 pm »

Any news Bob?
Pages: [1]   Go Up