INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Now Playing + Media Library view??  (Read 2874 times)

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Now Playing + Media Library view??
« on: May 27, 2003, 01:22:33 pm »

I've done this before but it's just escaping me...

I want to view the "now playing" files in the lower portion of the main MC window & view my Media Library in the upper portion of the window.  

Described another way: "now playing" files at the bottom of the main window and be able to navigate my Media Library in the upper window where the visualizations usually appear.

As I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure I've used such a view scheme before I just can't remember how to set it up.  Any help?

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
Re: Now Playing + Media Library view??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 01:59:36 pm »

I too, would love this.

As it is, I can either look at the current contents of "Now Playing" or I can look at my Media Library.  I want to see both, so that as I'm populating "Now Playing" with music, I don't have to keep going back and forth in the tree between where I'm browsing and where I'm queueing the music to.

Heck, if you could turn "Now Playing" into a "floatable" window, like the File Properties window is, that'd be cool, too.  That'd make it pretty sweet for dragging-and-dropping new music into your queue (rather than having to drag-drop to a node in a scrollable window like it is now)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 02:46:52 pm »

Thanks for the response, Kurt.  I guess I was remembering a dream! ;)

Hopefully others will agree this could be a very usefull view.  I'd like to see it added.  

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 11:41:10 pm »

i also agree  :D!!

i would love a feature like that!!

Zeltak  ;)

nila

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 02:30:06 am »

You definitely were dreaming or just remembering some old posts and requests.

This is an old time request that we've been asking for for ages. It didn't make it into v9, hopefully into v10.

Have it so that it looked like the 'Now Playing' screen whereby it was split in two vertically but set up so that both the top and bottom parts of the screen were totally customisable.

Either one of them could equally easily be used to display thecontents of the navigation tree, the 'now playing' list, any other playlists contents, Artist Info, Visualisations, Track Info template, slideshow, 3d plugin, burner burn list, etc.

The incredible increase in useability is obvious.
- You could be browsing ur library in the top pane and dragging and dropping files into the bottom pane.
- Could be dragging files from a playlist in the top pane to a playlist in the bottom pane.

The list goes on and on :)

Just keep praying and maybe we'll get it :)

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 03:59:56 am »

I Say a Little Prayer for Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu  8)
Those strange GUI restrictions are confusing everybody I'm trying to convince of using MC.

In addition I would like to see more flexibal "View Schemes" ... If every part of the navigation tree could be associated with another view in the bottom pane, it would be possible to change between a list of files or the album cover view automatic when it's usefull.
Right now, the album cover view is quit useless because there is too much need for manually switching.
Not to mention the "Can not play tracks from cover view!" buck...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 05:20:35 am »

I too, would love this.

.... (rather than having to drag-drop to a node in a scrollable window like it is now)

Have you tried the "Drop Target" for this?  It's the little bar at the top of the tree.  It changes, depending on what you're doing.  Add a single track to Playing Now, for example, and the drop target will show Playing Now.  Then select tracks and drag them there.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 06:19:18 am »

Yea, the drop target is nice but not nearly as flexible as the view we're suggesting.

Here's an example:

I'm browsing my Library in the main window and adding songs to the current playlist (either by using the drop target or right-clicking).
Suddenly I remember there's a specific Pearl Jam song I want to add so I type "Pearl Jam" into the search window.  The main window now only shows the Pearl Jam files in my Library.
While browsing through Pearl Jam I notice another song which I may have already added to "Now Playing" -but I'm not sure.  So, I click on "Now Playing" to see the current playlist.
**this is problem #1**  I have to leave the Library to view songs in the "Now Playing" queue.
I didn't see the song I was looking for in "Now Playing" so I go back to my Library to continue my song search.  Oops!  Since I left and moved into "Now Playing" my "Pearl Jam" search has disappeared!  I have to search all over again! -and have to try to remember where I left off.  
**this is problem #2**  Leaving the Library and returning brings you back to the top of the tree (depending upon your settings, of course).  

It would be so much easier to be able to view both elements at the same time (Library & Now Playing).  

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 06:55:47 am »

It would be nice if the view of the upper pane could not only be switched to "Track Info", "Visualizations", "Cover Art" and so on but also to a view of the current Media Library selections...

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 02:27:05 am »

... it would then even be possible to drag tracks right to their expected place in the playlist ... no extra sorting every time you add a track. ::)

Anybody out there who can welcome a solution like that???

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 09:50:19 am »

Im not making feature suggestions right now to give JRiver some time off post-v9-release but... :)

Yes yes yes - you are not alone. Many, many others have requested this before. Its certain that JRiver are aware of this. Whether there are technical reasons that make this difficult I dont know. As a complete guess, Id be amazed if this doesnt appear eventually - gut feeling is not this version though. Id love to be proved wrong.

nila

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 10:34:37 am »

Yeah,
I think we'd all love it.

I think I'd probably always have it set with media library at the top and playing now at the bottom as my standard setup.

This would be far more useful to me than a track info page or anything. :)

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 08:03:33 pm »

Put my vote in as a big YES on this   ;D

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 11:50:38 pm »

Count me in too!

V-Man

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 11:59:35 pm »

Yep, and me too!  ;D

nila

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2003, 06:30:54 am »

Wahey!!
Lots of votes - any more?

What'd be AMAZING would be able to create like 3 or 4 of these. That'd be incredible power - esp. for us with high resolutions.

We could have the media library at the top,
contents of a playlist in the middle and playing now at the bottom permenantly.

Thats probably pushing my luck though but it'd be a good one to give flexibiity to those who wanted it or with high resolutions. U could have it minimised as default so only people who wanted it got the 3rd one :)

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2003, 07:13:29 am »

So, how do we know if we have JRiver's attention?  I'd love for one of them to chime in and let us know if this view is possible.  I would imagine it's not too difficult to accomplish; it's probably more of a question of whether they can afford to move resources to this.

Still, it's an important addition and I'd like to see us convince them. ;)

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2003, 07:30:22 am »

You have my vote too, if this means that you can have the "Track info" at sight when you are working on tags in a playlist  :)

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2003, 07:57:36 am »

You can add me to the list.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2003, 09:58:33 am »

Have you tried the "Drop Target" for this?  It's the little bar at the top of the tree.  It changes, depending on what you're doing.  Add a single track to Playing Now, for example, and the drop target will show Playing Now.  Then select tracks and drag them there.

Sorry for the late reply,

Aye, I use the drop target from time to time.  It just keeps changing from one thing to another, though (expected behavior, aye, I know), so I don't use it as often as I could... since it's not always the same, I tend to find alternatives that are always the same.

Glad that folks are responding to this... I'd very much like to be able to see my Now Playing list and to be able to browse through my library/playlists/computer at the same time.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

jredders2

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2003, 11:27:45 am »

I'll add my vote to the pile...

-John
Pages: [1]   Go Up