INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 25 for ID  (Read 1062 times)

TrevorW

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 25 for ID
« on: February 06, 2019, 05:22:44 am »

Hi Fellow followers down the J stream,
I asked a short while ago when we can expect the ID hardware to have an MC version 25 upgrade. I don't seem to see any news on or further enquiries about this.
I was told that indeed the ID was a separate product and was not upgraded in line with the Unix product.

What is the longer term plan for the ID ?? Should I be planning a migration to either Windows or mainstream unix platform (what ever the difference!!!) It is frustrating that that I appear to have bought into a secondary product line that always lags the primary product upgrades.

So whats the bottom line and my options please.

Thanks . .  Oh and great product otherwise  ;D

Regards
Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White
Synology DS411 NAS server/JR ID24.0.17/MC26.0.107-5/Benchmark DAC1 USB/Rotel RC1590/RB1582Mk2/Bowers and Wilkins CM10S2/CM1S2/Ruark Dialogue/REL R205

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 25 for ID
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:11:25 am »

The Id is not a "secondary product". The statement you are quoting basically just means that you don't have to buy license upgrades for the Id, or even buy a new Id to get the upgrade, since the license is included with the hardware.

MC25 isn't available yet for any OS. Once it is, we'll also make sure it gets to the Id in a reasonable timeframe.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:30:12 am »

The Id version will always lag behind the latest.  We can't afford to make a mistake since it would be so difficult to correct.

TrevorW

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC 25 for Id
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »

Thanks to Jim and Hendrik

Good to know that the Id and MC are not what I referred to as 'secondary'  . .  no offence intended.

However the phrase 'reasonable' timeframe is subjective. I realise that it is important to minimise the risk of major upgrade transitioning and that this could be costly if released too early.

I just would like to get the best release of MC asap . . . Secondary may be the wrong word, however Jim clearly states that the MC WILL lag the other platforms in terms of major version releases. So I guess it comes down to what is a reasonable time frame.

Thoughts - If I bought an appropriate Intel NUC (or other device) could I deploy the standard Unix product . . . What is the difference ? Is the Id OS cut down or something . . What is the advantage of Id over standard Unix MC

So many questions ;-)

Thanks
Regards
Trevor McCarthy-White
Synology DS411 NAS server/JR ID24.0.17/MC26.0.107-5/Benchmark DAC1 USB/Rotel RC1590/RB1582Mk2/Bowers and Wilkins CM10S2/CM1S2/Ruark Dialogue/REL R205

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 02:43:02 pm »

We have several levels of MC reliability.

Beta (Members only)  -- Might have some problems, untested features

Latest (only on the forum)  -- Probably good

Stable (on the Download Page) -- Should always be good

Id (only on the hardware)  -- Proven reliable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up