INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-Assign Track Number based on Date Created  (Read 1761 times)

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
Auto-Assign Track Number based on Date Created
« on: March 06, 2019, 02:11:00 pm »

I recently ripped a BUNCH of DVD-A & Blu-Ray content with DVD-Audio Extractor. Unfortunately I forgot to set the naming convention to include track number, so everything is out of order.

If I sort by date created, then the tracks on each album show in the proper sequence. I can use the "fill track numbers from list order..." function to set track numbers, but since I'm talking about over 100 albums, this will take a loooong time.

Wondering if anyone smarter than myself can recommend a way to assign track numbers based on date created for each album/folder in one big batch?

MikeO3

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Auto-Assign Track Number based on Date Created
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 02:55:29 pm »

I use Bulk Rename Utility to handle my file cleanups & various renaming jobs. There is an auto-number function which should do the trick for you with your files sorted by creation date.
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

biblio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 04:56:27 pm »

Mike is on the money here. i use pyrenamer myself but there are tons of free programs that do this.

https://alternativeto.net/software/pyrenamer/?platform=windows

another one that's not free is filebot. but filebot does a decent job with the lookup and searching for tv/movies
https://www.filebot.net/

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 05:50:58 pm »

Thanks, guys, for your replies. But what I'm looking for is a way to edit the track# field (currently empty) for a lot of different files in a lot of different folders. each album has its own folder. I could use one of these utilities you posted to add track numbers to the actual file names, which I could then extract to the track # filed in MC, but it looks like I'd have to do that for each folder one-by-one. what I'm really after is a tool that can assign track numbers starting with "1" for all the files in each respective folder.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 02:48:14 am »

Mp3Tag. https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Open all the folders at once, chances are they'll be sorted in the right order if not sort by path (it usually gets the order right even with no track numbers) . Auto renumber (Tick the 'reset the counter for each directory') and off you go. . . (do a few first to make sure it's doing what you want it to do).

If you need to modify the filename, use Tag to Filename and and expression something like this. .
Code: [Select]
$num(%track%,2) %artist% - %title%
Run the auto import to update MC.

Spike

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 08:58:53 am »

Spike for president! Thank you very much.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 09:01:41 am »

Thanks, guys, for your replies. But what I'm looking for is a way to edit the track# field (currently empty) for a lot of different files in a lot of different folders. each album has its own folder. I could use one of these utilities you posted to add track numbers to the actual file names, which I could then extract to the track # filed in MC, but it looks like I'd have to do that for each folder one-by-one. what I'm really after is a tool that can assign track numbers starting with "1" for all the files in each respective folder.
In MC, sort the files by date, right click and choose "Fill track # from list order".

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 10:08:51 am »

There's probably a way to do this in MC using global variables but that's beyond my skill level.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 04:53:42 pm »

In MC, sort the files by date, right click and choose "Fill track # from list order".

The issue was that "Fill track # from list order" doesn't reset the counter for each Album, and there were 100's of albums to do, so doing them individually wasn't desirable. Same issue with using the "=Counter()" method.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 05:35:56 pm »

The issue was that "Fill track # from list order" doesn't reset the counter for each Album, and there were 100's of albums to do, so doing them individually wasn't desirable. Same issue with using the "=Counter()" method.

I wonder if that would be a good option?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 05:48:41 pm »

Thinking a little more, I think we could scan the album value first then only ask if it changes.  I'll give it a go tomorrow.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 06:22:14 pm »

It would be a good option Matt, but if you are looking into it, could it be more generic and look for Grouping changes?

I guess that would only apply to the "=Counter()" method, and would need an additional parameter in the function. The application might be if someone wanted to create a Custom field similar to Sequence number, for sorting of a group of tracks, external to Playlist sorting/sequencing. Or maybe sequentially numbering a list of images, podcasts, etc. The new parameter may specify the actual Group to switch on, but I would be happy if it just used the Grouping and Sorting within Group that a View already displayed.

The "Fill track # from list order" only ever applies to Track numbers within an Album and Episodes within a Season, and it would be great to add the option in that feature, as it is easy to understand and straightforward to use. But the "=Counter()" method is more universal.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 12:08:12 am »

It would be a good option Matt, but if you are looking into it, could it be more generic and look for Grouping changes?

even this rudimentary level of looping would be an enormous benefit.  if we could choose the grouping to change counter by, i think we could use it to change all sorts of fun things

Spike1000

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 03:09:25 am »

Thinking a little more, I think we could scan the album value first then only ask if it changes.  I'll give it a go tomorrow.

A new neat feature in MP3Tag is the Auto Renumbering wizard also will populate the disc number field as it goes. That might be a feature to add as well.

MP3Tag also will pad leading zeroes ie 1 becomes 01 or 001. I like this feature a lot as they always sort properly, everywhere. MC undoes this when updating tags, which is an annoyance and I believe some media formats don't appear to support it (ie 01 gets saved as 1). I think mp4 may be one or it might be AAC or something.

Spike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 08:09:18 am »

Coming in MC 25:
NEW: Added the options "Start over each album" to the "Fill Track Numbers From List Order" tool.

Thanks for the idea ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up