INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happens to the JRiver library after the the disappearance of iTunes  (Read 1085 times)

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member

I wonder what is going to happen when Apple terminates iTunes in MacOS 10.15 Catalina. JRiver MC uses the iTunes library. Will the new Music app work with the same library structure, so JRiver MC will operate in the same way?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

JRiver doesn't use the iTunes library.  It just imports the same files.

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member

Hi JimH, thanks for your reply. But I fail to understand something and perhaps you can explain or direct me to an explanation. I import music files on my music server by using the "add to library" function from iTunes. After doing that a few seconds later I see the album appear in JRiver MC. That's why I thought the library of iTunes is used. I would appreciate to be enlightened. Thanks. Lodewijk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member

Thanks, I understand now what I am doing. I import manually in the iTunes library and auto-import takes care of the import in MC

RD James

Something important to note is that, by default, when iTunes "imports" files it copies them to its own storage location.
When Media Center "imports" files it adds a reference to them in its database. It does not make copies of the files.

So if you were to delete your "iTunes library" (the files) they would also disappear from Media Center (references to those files).

Lodewijk_Ramon

• Recent member

Thanks, I understand. I will not delete the current library :) :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up