INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 96 khz files playing in 48hz  (Read 5838 times)

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
96 khz files playing in 48hz
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:13:58 am »

Hi folks!

so my files seem to be getting downsampled to 48k. here is my set up path.

All files are flac and go from hard drive>laptop>usb out into Musical Fidelity v90 DAC>Anthem MRX510.

The anthem says its receiving the files in 48khz. Im almost positive I have JRiver set properly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
michael

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 96 khz files playing in 48hz
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:39:15 am »

Just check the Audio Path during playback:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

If we're re-sampling, it will tell you.  It can be configured in DSP Studio.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 07:43:38 am »

Thanks for the reply, Matt. I have looked through dso and don't notice anything strange. Could you be more specific as to the area I should check?
Thanks!

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 07:48:06 am »

One thing that seems strange is the output format. It says enableed and processing 44.1kHz 64bit.

64 bit?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 07:52:08 am »

Uncheck it.  Player > DSP Studio > Output Settings.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 09:20:25 am »

All files are flac and go from hard drive>laptop>usb out into Musical Fidelity v90 DAC>Anthem MRX510.

The anthem says its receiving the files in 48khz. Im almost positive I have JRiver set properly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If the Anthem is getting analog output from your DAC, how can it know anything about sample rate?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 10:47:45 am »

If the Anthem is getting analog output from your DAC, how can it know anything about sample rate?

That's a good question. I quess that info wouldn't be transmitted via analog cable.

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 10:48:16 am »

Thanks, I'll try when I get home.

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 01:48:11 pm »

I should mention that I'm using jriver 23. I did talk to anthem just now, and they say the problem is not in the receiver.....

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 04:59:07 pm »

Any other ideas? all the above have not worked. :-\

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 06:07:30 pm »

What are your settings in Player > DSP Studio > Output Settings?  Post a screenshot if you can.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 06:09:25 pm »

Jim posted while I was typing.

Can you post a screen shot of the Audio Path when this is happening? It should clearly show what MC is outputing.

Given that the signal going into the Anthem is analog, the Digital sample rate may just be a mistake on the part of the Anthem.  Did you ask Anthem what it should display when it is getting an analog signal?

EDIT : Ask Anthem why it is displaying 48 KHz when it is getting an analog signal.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 06:32:47 pm »

If you have TWO RCA cables running from your DAC to the Anthem, then it is almost certainly an analog connection.  Therefore the Anthem can't know the sampling rate of the digital data.  The Anthem *can* know it's own sample rate for doing DSP processing.  Maybe that's what it's showing.

On the other than, if you have ONE RCA cable or ONE optical cable going from the DAC to the Anthem, you might be passing through a digital signal and not using the DAC at all.  In that case the Anthem would definitely know the sample rate it was being fed.

So exactly how is the DAC connected to the Anthem?

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 08:12:55 pm »

If you have TWO RCA cables running from your DAC to the Anthem, then it is almost certainly an analog connection.  Therefore the Anthem can't know the sampling rate of the digital data.  The Anthem *can* know it's own sample rate for doing DSP processing.  Maybe that's what it's showing.

On the other than, if you have ONE RCA cable or ONE optical cable going from the DAC to the Anthem, you might be passing through a digital signal and not using the DAC at all.  In that case the Anthem would definitely know the sample rate it was being fed.

Brian.

I believe the DAC only has analog outs.

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 07:41:10 am »

What are your settings in Player > DSP Studio > Output Settings?  Post a screenshot if you can.

Sure.

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 07:51:44 am »

Jim posted while I was typing.

Can you post a screen shot of the Audio Path when this is happening? It should clearly show what MC is outputing.

Given that the signal going into the Anthem is analog, the Digital sample rate may just be a mistake on the part of the Anthem.  Did you ask Anthem what it should display when it is getting an analog signal?

EDIT : Ask Anthem why it is displaying 48 KHz when it is getting an analog signal.

it could very well be an error. I thought that info would be transmitted through analog cables.

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 07:56:33 am »

my dac does not have any digital outs. it is connected via 2 rca analog cables. and i have turned off all correction options on the anthem.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 08:22:34 am »

MC is outputing 96 KHz.

I think you need to figure out why the Anthem is displaying a digital sample rate with an analog signal.

You might hook another analog source, like the headphone output of your phone or the analog outputs of a CD player, and see if the Anthem still displays a digital sample rate.  That would show that MC/Dac is not causing the sample rate to show.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 08:34:22 am »

A check of the Anthem manual reveals the answer. See page 20.

The Anthem is converting the analog input to digital so that DSP in the Anthem can be used. Most analog to digital converters convert to 48 kHz. To bypass this, you need to go to your input settings and the Process Analog Audio Input option. Change it to No. Now the signal will stay completely analog since the Anthem uses an analog volume control.

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 09:08:50 am »

A check of the Anthem manual reveals the answer. See page 20.

The Anthem is converting the analog input to digital so that DSP in the Anthem can be used. Most analog to digital converters convert to 48 kHz. To bypass this, you need to go to your input settings and the Process Analog Audio Input option. Change it to No. Now the signal will stay completely analog since the Anthem uses an analog volume control.

interesting. I see that that in turning this off it shuts off the signal to the sub too. so inorder to play hi-res files, your recevier must have all [processing shut off?

also, it still shows 48kHz on the info display.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 09:29:47 am »

In order to do signal processing like directing the bass to the sub or creating 5.1 from analog stereo, receivers convert to digital.  Since the Anthem is primarily a video processor, it uses the sample rate that is most comment in video, namely 48 Khz.  If it were a primarily audio device, then it might use 96 Khz or 192 KHz, but as a video device it uses 48 Khz.

Most people who are listening to high res music prefer to not have the analog converted to digital. That does mean that you only get output from 2 speakers, assuming it is a stereo signal.  You need full range speakers for that. If you need to use a sub, then the stereo signal needs to be converted to digital.

So, to listen to pure 96 Khz, you need to do it in two channel mode with no processing. If you need the sub, then the analog signal needs to be converted to digital.

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 10:22:59 am »

To add to what DTC is saying:

I recently went through a long process of trying to get high quality analog playback from a system with small main speakers and a subwoofer.  I tried several things, including buying an external all analog crossover.  The crossover "worked", but it did not produce the sonic results I was after.

Engaging the digital processing on a high end older processor I have (also an Anthem coincidentally) RUINED the sound.  I was shocked.

Keeping everything analog brought the magic back to the sound.  In particular, I ran preamp outputs from my receiver (not the Anthem) and sent them to my subwoofer, which has a built in 4th order low pass crossover.  This, combined with the full range (but limited bass) output of the small mains yielded a very nicely integrated sound with tight bass that "plays all the notes".

You might be able to run full range preamp outputs to your subwoofer(s) if you want/need a 2.1 type setup for high quality audio.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 10:33:32 am »

Brian - Good recommendation on running analog to the sub. I should have added that.  Many subs have inputs and outputs, so you can run the analog to the sub and from their to the mains.

And, I agree, you need a really good processor to not ruin the sound of high res analog.

blgentry

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2019, 01:20:32 pm »

Just for the record, my source of "analog" in this system is a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.  So it's digital from MC to the ModiMB, and then analog from there forward.  It was the additional A/D and D/A being done inside the Anthem AVM-20 that "ruined" the sound for me.  Most people listening to it would have said it was fine.  Until they heard it the other way (without any extra digital processing).

Brian.

HarryDoyle

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 08:42:05 pm »

To add to what DTC is saying:

I recently went through a long process of trying to get high quality analog playback from a system with small main speakers and a subwoofer.  I tried several things, including buying an external all analog crossover.  The crossover "worked", but it did not produce the sonic results I was after.

Engaging the digital processing on a high end older processor I have (also an Anthem coincidentally) RUINED the sound.  I was shocked.

Keeping everything analog brought the magic back to the sound.  In particular, I ran preamp outputs from my receiver (not the Anthem) and sent them to my subwoofer, which has a built in 4th order low pass crossover.  This, combined with the full range (but limited bass) output of the small mains yielded a very nicely integrated sound with tight bass that "plays all the notes".

You might be able to run full range preamp outputs to your subwoofer(s) if you want/need a 2.1 type setup for high quality audio.

Brian.

Damn, thats a good idea. However my sub is a mk v75II from around 1995. did they have 4th order back then?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 09:27:59 pm »

Don't worry about the order of the filter. Hook it up and give it a try.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 11:09:57 pm »

JRiver MC 23, using (mostly) a Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 22.

Up until a few days ago I was able to play music in resolutions of 16/44, 16/48, 24/96 to 192.
Now I can only play16/44 and that is skipping through the music (like a CD in fast forward). However, last night I was able to play some 24/192.

In the interim I have discovered that Microsoft changed my Realtek High Def Audio driver to two of their own (about a month ago). Today I changed that back to a single Realtek (rolled back a version). So now I can't play 24/anything and I'm back to 16/44 skipping through.

I have tried Output Format checked, unchecked, checked with "no change', checked with the same numbers, checked with 44,000Hz for the higher ones.

Nothing seems to work again (ok for a while last night).

Is someone able to shed any light on this please?

offskooring

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 08:38:07 pm »

that was exactly what i needed to do, thanks 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up