INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Cloudplay -- Lossless Streaming  (Read 52832 times)

Bigpoppapump

• Recent member
Bigpoppapump - Cloudplay
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2021, 09:09:39 am »

I enjoy putting together playlists on topics, subjects, genre, artists, etc. And I have one on love songs. My latest is The Black Album by the Beatles. I revise existing playlists usually adding titles that I discover fit into existing playlists.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Cloudplay -- Lossless Streaming
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2021, 01:20:13 pm »

628 users  4587 playlists  332501 tracks

The number of tracks grew by about 33% this year.

Noobman

• Recent member
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2021, 11:27:08 am »

Hope this catch on, I've done my share (Funkateer), and wondering if it's possible to change the "headline" of the already uploaded playlist?

Mats

stoyania

« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2022, 07:03:16 pm »

628 users  4587 playlists  332501 tracks

The number of tracks grew by about 33% this year.

Jim,
how do I filter to view only the multichannel playlists?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2022, 09:58:26 pm »

No way possible at this time. Sorry.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2022, 10:27:08 am »

I see that cloudplay is available now on jremote2 on Android. But I can only play it to my device which is a phone. Is there a way to play it to my AVR? When I try it fails. I'm on JR 27.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2022, 01:35:20 pm »

Could you try MC28?  Cloudplay will work in Theater View.  You may need to add it in Theater View settings.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2022, 01:51:16 pm »

Could you try MC28?  Cloudplay will work in Theater View.  You may need to add it in Theater View settings.
What's the connection between theater view and jremote2?

Can I try 28 as a trial somehow without messing up my 27 install? Not really wanting to pay to upgrade to test a feature.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2022, 04:16:19 pm »

No connection.  I just thought you wanted Cloudplay on your AVR.

Yes.  No trial ever messes up anything. 

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2022, 04:23:29 pm »

Sorry yes Jim I want to play JRiver on my AVR, but the device that is running JRiver is in another room.  The Denon AVR shows up in JRiver as a device I can play to.

I think I found one issue. When I do this it doesn’t want to play my “favorited” playlists. This is what I was trying to do. If I go to “latest” or “popular” those will work. So that’s great. I believe I can import my favorites and then find them under playlists. So that may be a work around.

spalmgre

• Recent member
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2022, 06:18:25 am »

I once again got the marketing e-mail message that JRiver send to us all. In every message, Cloudplay is mentioned as if it is very well developed and is superb in every sense.

What I have been waiting for for some years already is that JRiver would upgrade Cloudplays user interface to the level the service deserves. Now the UI is like something somebody just did very fast put together.

Technically the music plays fine and the value of Cloudpläy is great but it needs to be developed further.

- Search is not really working so that you can find specific records or artists.
- The upper part of the Cloudplay window works differently depending on how wide the window is. So you can't see "New playlists", "New user" etc if the window is narrow.
- You don't see which playlist you are listening to under "Playing Now".
- If you want to check and go back to Cloudplay you lose the list and cannot find it again if you don't remember who had uploaded it.

This is not a complete list of features to look over or to add as it is not my responsibility to define the product.

I'm the consumer that pays the bill and if the product does not develop then I don't see the reason to pay for updates.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2022, 07:44:39 am »

Guilty as charged.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2022, 09:05:44 am »

I would love to see some growth in the user functionality of cloudplay. A solid base is certainly there.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2022, 10:05:46 pm »

I just really started to dive into this cloudplay thing, and after a few hours of messing about with it, I am extremely happy I did. You see, I am not really a playlist guy. At least playlists by Tidal or Apple Music or any streaming service. I try - I want them to be what I need, but I can't even count the times I have typed in " Alternative rock" or "Wilco" or  whatever, and then pressed play and two songs in I kill it. "What the hell s this???" it's just never what I want...

But this cloudplay thing? well,  this is real people - real JRiver people! Which I am realizing means real music lovers - people with great, eclectic tastes. I have quickly found a few playlists that not only do I not want to kill after two songs, but I wish I had longer to listen to the whole thing (bed time)! And they are lossless!!!!! sounds great!

Excited to dive in more and perhaps contribute, but as I said, not much of a playlist guy. I listen to albums.

Anyway, this a nice sweet surprise for someone who started using JRiver about 3 months ago, and has quite frankly become tired of streaming b/c of the above. Lately I have been listening to my 600 or so freshly re ripped in ALAC CDs (and I even started digitizing my vinyl). I am becoming a local library guy - but I yearn to discover music, and this has been a nice revelation.

Thanks to all who have uploaded!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2022, 08:53:58 am »

I just really started to dive into this cloudplay thing, and after a few hours of messing about with it, I am extremely happy I did. You see, I am not really a playlist guy. At least playlists by Tidal or Apple Music or any streaming service. I try - I want them to be what I need, but I can't even count the times I have typed in " Alternative rock" or "Wilco" or  whatever, and then pressed play and two songs in I kill it. "What the hell s this???" it's just never what I want...

But this cloudplay thing? well,  this is real people - real JRiver people! Which I am realizing means real music lovers - people with great, eclectic tastes. I have quickly found a few playlists that not only do I not want to kill after two songs, but I wish I had longer to listen to the whole thing (bed time)! And they are lossless!!!!! sounds great!

Excited to dive in more and perhaps contribute, but as I said, not much of a playlist guy. I listen to albums.

Anyway, this a nice sweet surprise for someone who started using JRiver about 3 months ago, and has quite frankly become tired of streaming b/c of the above. Lately I have been listening to my 600 or so freshly re ripped in ALAC CDs (and I even started digitizing my vinyl). I am becoming a local library guy - but I yearn to discover music, and this has been a nice revelation.

Thank you, Ian!  That's a perfect description of what we had in mind when we began building Cloudplay a few years ago.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2022, 08:54:09 am »

641 users  4758 playlists  350924 tracks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2022, 09:01:10 am »

So big deal, we have 350,000 tracks now.

Spotify claims 82,000,000.  Apple is around 90,000,000.

My take on the numbers is this.  The 350,000 is closer to what people actually listen to.  By definition, it's what JRiver users listen to.  And it's all lossless.  Some is high resolution and some is even multi-channel. 

More zeros won't increase the quality or diversity of the music.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2022, 01:29:28 am »

(and I even started digitizing my vinyl).
- but I yearn to discover music,

Please, digitize your vinyl.  I've been digitizing my vinyl for the past 10 years or so. (about 1/3 of the way through...)  One thing I've noticed is that on some albums, the CD "mix" is different than the vinyl "mix." 

The vinyl version seems to have less volume compression than the digital version (Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers album is a glaring example).  And then there is the censored lyrics of many digital releases of the vinyl albums.

So, please, take the time to digitize your vinyl.

And create playlists with moods and themes for others to enjoy!

Thx.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2022, 06:24:35 pm »

Listening to: 'Con Alma' from 'Live at the Concertgebouw 1961' by 'Oscar Peterson Trio' with JRiver Media Center 29

zorbec's playlist of Lost Oscar Peterson

Though not a playlist and more of an album, it's fantastic listening.  I tried to find it to buy the CD but couldn't.

Thanks, zorbec!

Concertbegouw is a concert hall in Amsterdam:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concertgebouw

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2022, 11:50:11 pm »

Hi Jim:  You piqued my interest as I am a Oscar Peterson fan.  Last week I watched a short film on his career that I enjoyed.  Do not know he was somewhat a child prodigy, well an adolescent prodigy.  Doing some diggin, I'm wondering if this is in fact the recording you were referring to: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Peterson_at_the_Concertgebouw

AllMusic also has the same Information, however, the recording the article refers to does not have the song you mentioned so perhaps this is an entirely different recording.  The album they mention is available from Amazon for bargain price of under 10 bucks.  Going to give the playlist on Cloudplay a listen!

Larry

You likely saw this.  Hard to believe a performance labeled Live at the Concertgebouw could be as this article suggests.
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2022, 08:01:19 am »

Thanks, Larry!  Odd indeed.

kpstanton

• Recent member
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2022, 04:08:26 pm »

Been playing around with CloudPlay the last few days and am impressed with both the quality and quantity of music that is available.  However, before I start sharing my own music, I do have a question as to the legality of the system.  One of the posts states that all the streaming music is covered by " a streaming license" paid for by JRiver and that "nobody can download your files or play them on-demand".   However, there seems to be nothing in place to stop someone from downloading a playlist to Media Center and playing any track "on-demand"  It is very possible that I have an incorrect understanding of what "on-demand" means in the world of streaming music.  Could someone clarify things for me?  Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2022, 05:10:25 pm »

... there seems to be nothing in place to stop someone from downloading a playlist to Media Center and playing any track "on-demand"  It is very possible that I have an incorrect understanding of what "on-demand" means in the world of streaming music.
The playlist is free to download, but the tracks aren't.  The playlist has links to the tracks that are stored on our server on Amazon S3.  It is streaming.

The license covers mixed playlists, not single albums or single artists. 

weirdo12

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2022, 09:23:46 am »

The license covers mixed playlists, not single albums or single artists.

There are many 'playlists' that are not covered by that licence.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2022, 09:28:48 am »

There are many 'playlists' that are not covered by that licence.
We've asked people to upload mixed playlists, but it is sometimes ignored.  Here, for example:

Takedown Notice

weirdo12

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2022, 07:42:56 pm »

We've asked people to upload mixed playlists, but it is sometimes ignored.  Here, for example:

Takedown Notice

Yep, I've seen that. I am guilty of uploading a single artist/album once.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2022, 07:33:44 am »

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2022, 11:48:53 pm »

I decided to poke at CloudPlay again tonight after only using it a bit after it's initial launch. I did a test search for "Tex Ritter" and my account came up but with no playlist. I currently have no playlists as all mine were from before when playlists were uploaded w/o files. These were supposedly deleted, which is all good. I just wanted to give the team a heads up that maybe there needs to be a database clean up done or a maintenance mode added if results from these old playlists are still being brought up?

Also, will CloudPlay be added to the Features section of the options so we can disable it if we are not using it?
Thanks!

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2022, 05:52:13 pm »

- If you want to check and go back to Cloudplay you lose the list and cannot find it again if you don't remember who had uploaded it.

One thing I do is if (Rather When) I find a playlist I like on the right hand side of the playlist there is a "Download" Cloud icon link.  This does not download the actual music but adds the playlist to your playlists under "Cloudplay Playlists"  Than you can go back to it anytime.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2022, 05:59:35 pm »

My playlists tend to change quite often as I add new music and / or remove music from the.

Can I just re-upload an existing playlist to Cloudplay and it will just not upload / skip the stuff that's already there?

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2022, 06:23:23 pm »

My playlists tend to change quite often as I add new music and / or remove music from the.

Can I just re-upload an existing playlist to Cloudplay and it will just not upload / skip the stuff that's already there?
Should work that way.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2022, 06:24:53 pm »

One thing I do is if (Rather When) I find a playlist I like on the right hand side of the playlist there is a "Download" Cloud icon link.  This does not download the actual music but adds the playlist to your playlists under "Cloudplay Playlists"  Than you can go back to it anytime.
You can also "Like" them.

jctcom

« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2022, 08:06:35 pm »

Haven't seen this mentioned yet. 

When you download a playlist you can then select individual tracks from those playlists and create your own custom playlists.  Of course you can't upload those because the music remains in CloudPlay.

But a great way to get custom playlists for great music you may not own.

Carl.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2022, 01:24:56 pm »

See if this fixes it for you....

In my case the menu disappears when the cloudplay window is too narrow.  So, not the overall size of the application's window, but rather just the size of cloudplay's window.

I decrease size of the leftmost tree control (grab bar between tree control and clouplay window) to increase size of the cloudplay window and the menu reappears.

In my case it seems that if tree control is too wide the cloudplay menu will not display
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2022, 02:49:14 pm »

You can also use ctrl + and ctrl - to change the font size temporarily if needed.

It's clearly a bug.

Fred H

• Recent member
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2022, 11:22:59 am »

I'm enjoying Cloudplay very much and appreciate both its development and the many playlist contributions. However, I've searched in vain for a way to transfer a Cloudplay playlist to another server.

My PC is one server and an IdPi hosts two linked servers (Main and House speakers). We access the IdPi mostly using JRemote, although sometimes through Remote Server. Ideally, I'd like to right click and use Send To to send a Cloudplay playlist to the IdPi. Alternatively, I'd like a way to find where I found the playlist -- like the name of the contributor. (If I'd thought ahead I'd have entered it as a note.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2022, 01:43:01 am »

If you click on the heart button, it gets added to your profile.

Fred H

• Recent member
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2022, 08:13:48 am »

Thank you. That's logical. But there's no heart button for the Cloudplay playlists that I've already saved.

Fred H

• Recent member
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2022, 03:12:42 pm »

Thank you. That's logical. But there's no heart button for the Cloudplay playlists that I've already saved.

Since then I've gone back through my Cloudplay playlists, found their source, and duplicated them manually. In the future I'll make note of where something came from so I can duplicate it later.

Fred H

• Recent member
Inclusion of Cloudplay Playlists in Genres
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2022, 03:31:39 pm »

This is an issue I previously entered as a bug in the Id section. Now that I'm finding it in my PC (after a daily file scan, I presume) I realize that it is part of the standard Cloudplay playlist implementation. While we love Cloudplay, we dislike this aspect of it.

I put significant time into setting up the Genres for our local files; they represent our thinking about how we want to access our music. So we consider including Cloudplay playlist files in our Genres to be a form of pollution. Being able to edit the local name for the Cloudplay playlists is enough control for us to find what we want there; we don't want to be able to access those files through Genres.

Please either create a switch to control this behavior and/or add something like "Local Genres" as an alternative Genres display.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2022, 12:33:56 am »

A search for -https should leave out Clouplay files.

Fred H

• Recent member
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2022, 08:44:38 am »

A search for -https should leave out Clouplay files.
This is almost the filter that I'd like to apply to Albums, Artists, Files, and Genres. (Please see my last paragraph.)

The reason for our unhappiness with the effects of Cloudplay playlists is that we have spent decades accumulating music that we love. By including Cloudplay files in the data just like our local files MC has made it more difficult for us to find that music. It's nice to find new music -- and Cloudplay is wonderful for that -- but our music is more important to us.

So we have to chose, and we have chosen to delete all Cloudplay playlists. I've kept a spreadsheet with the information to find them, hoping that someday we can use them again.

BTW, after I deleted all Cloudplay playlists there were 500 files left behind that I had to delete manually. Some of those files were "http", not "https", so the filter would not have caught all that it was intended to.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2022, 08:53:28 am »

An easier way than "Search" is to go to the tree on the left side of Standard View.

Select Audio>Files

In the main window there is a header called "Location under the word Files

Under that is a Header that says All Locations (with a number in parenthesis)

Under there is a listing of all the locations where MC is using for your files/tracks.

Just right click and delete the http or https link.

Aardvark

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2022, 12:52:17 am »

Posted this as a reply to Cinelder's post "Cloudplay and Play Doctor not Integrating" but decided to move it here as I think it is a flaw in Cloudplay processing.

Running JRiver 29.0.67 and have similar problems with Cloudplay and Play Doctor

In Cloudplay options for "Files to be included" I have

-[Media Sub Type]=[Audiobook],[Podcast],[Test Clip] -[Album]="Christmas" ~nodup=[Artist],[Name]

In Play Doctor options I have "Some Variety" ticked (only because there is no option to have "No Variety"

"Include Files from Cloudplay" is set to 100%

"Set Rules for Files That Can Be Included" is

[Media Type]=[Audio] +[Genre]=[Country] ~n=100

So I go into Cloudplay, type Country into the Search Box and hit play

The first track I always get is off my local disk and then the rest are Cloudplay tracks but I get Pop, Pop/Rock, Folk Rock and 70s Pop as various genres that turn up.

Why am I not just getting Country as I specified? Also why the Local track when I have said 100% from Cloudplay?

Also I get exactly the same result if I put "Country" in the Play Doctor box in the Active Zone

Am I doing something wrong or is this just not working properly?

Thanks, Mike

Fred H

• Recent member
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2022, 08:37:17 am »

An addendum to my #189 above: After a few days I decided to try again, so I added a few Cloudplay playlists to both our IdPi and desktop systems. When the http sources were ignored by Genres I added the rest of the Cloudplay playlists that we particularly link. It's now been two weeks and there are no http sources in Files or Genres in either system. I know that the IdPi MC version hasn't changed during this time, but both systems are now working as I prefer them to work. As I can't believe that this is chance, I'd like to say thank you.

Aardvark

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2022, 02:43:57 am »

Anyone got any clues as to the problem I raised in my previous post?

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2022, 03:22:57 pm »

Is cloudplay supposed to work with the Android TV app? I tried it last night, when I tried to select a playlist the app either froze and went back to home screen or crashed entirely. Tried 3 or 4 times and gave up.

graham23

• Recent member
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2022, 11:51:47 pm »

I am new to Cloudplay. I have created my account and uploaded a few playlists. When I attempt to access cloudplay via a web browser I get a connection error:
"Changes are only accepted from authenticated clients. Enable authentication on the server in Options > Media Network."

Is this to be expected or is it a problem?

I have gone to Options/ Media Network and confirmed my logon account and password.
I have ticked Authentication (it was already on, but I turned off and back on again)
I have set read-only authentication to "everyone" ( have tried all options, and now is set to everyone)

Windows 7. MC28. Firefox and Chrome

Aardvark

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2022, 11:09:29 pm »

Posted the following as a problem in JRiver V2929.0.83 with Cloudplay and got reply from JimH saying this should be moved to Cloudplay thread.

JimH says Cloudplay is supposed to work more like radio. Does the Cloudplay license prohibit searching by Genre or Artist and restricting the results to only that Genre or Artist? If it doesn't then couldn't we have another Radio Button in the Play Doctor options that restricts the results to only the entered Genre or Artist?

Also the problem with the first run of Cloudplay versus subsequent runs needs sorting out as some people will just give up on it if it doesn't work properly the first time

Hoping you can take a look at this when you get a chance

Regards, Mike

Running Cloudplay and Play Doctor

In Cloudplay options for "Files to be included" I have

-[Media Sub Type]=[Audiobook],[Podcast],[Test Clip] -[Album]="Christmas" ~nodup=[Artist],[Name]

In Play Doctor options I have "Some Variety" ticked (only because there is no option to have "No Variety"

"Include Files from Cloudplay" is set to 100%

"Set Rules for Files That Can Be Included" is

[Media Type]=[Audio] +[Genre]=[Country] ~n=100

So I go into Cloudplay, type Country into the Search Box and hit play. If this is the first time doing this then I get one track off my local disk in Playing Now and then about a minute later the rest of the list appears but every track is off my local disk. The time this takes seems like it tries to go to Cloudplay and fails so reverts to local disk as in next scenario the Cloudplay list is populated in about 25 seconds.

If I stop play and clear Playing Now and then redo the same search then we move into the scenario as follows...

The first track I always get is off my local disk and then the rest are Cloudplay tracks but I get Pop, Pop/Rock, Folk Rock and 70s Pop as various genres that turn up.

Why am I not just getting Country as I specified? Also why the Local track when I have said 100% from Cloudplay?

Also I get exactly the same result if I put "Country" in the Play Doctor box in the Active Zone

Thanks, Mike

smichalove

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Cloudplay -- Lossless Streaming: Desktop Links (how to disable)?
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2022, 05:30:34 pm »

The Cloudplay is creating enormous clutter on my desktop, is there any way to disable the creation of desktop symbolic links?  I mean, what good are they anyway since the source content is on my server anyway?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up