INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: idpi & SSD or HDD  (Read 2248 times)

Nevalti

• Recent member
idpi & SSD or HDD
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:20:29 pm »

I've seen a similar question (solved) but I still don't understand my problem.

I have an idpi-4 which works fine. I want to add an SSD but I can't get it to show up when I try to set up a new library. The 'External Media Menu' (20) is set to Read/write and simple USB drives show up and work perfectly when I re-boot and set them up as a 'Local Library' - so I THINK I am mounting them properly and adding them properly.

I want to use my new'ish Samsung SSD as my main library. The SSD works fine with my PC using MC24 but not with my idpi-4 using MC 24. The SSD is in an Aixum enclosure with its own power supply - so I assume power is not a problem. I have also tried a Buffalo HDD drive, with and without its own power supply, but that doesn't show up either.

Am I doing something wrong?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: idpi & SSD or HDD
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 08:15:40 am »

Which filesystem are you using?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 11:02:57 am »

Which filesystem are you using?
Echoing this question.
I wonder if we missed a particular filesystem support package.

Nevalti

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 12:31:33 pm »

Echoing this question.
I wonder if we missed a particular filesystem support package.
I'm not sure I understand the question.

All I did was copy the folders, containing mainly FLAC files, from my Windows PC and pasted them into the SSD - and indeed the HDD. I have not consciously created a 'filesystem'.

Should I have done so? If so I may need a bit of help understanding exactly what is needed.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:39:03 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the question.

All I did was copy the folders, containing mainly FLAC files, from my Windows PC and pasted them into the SSD - and indeed the HDD. I have not consciously created a 'filesystem'.

Should I have done so? If so I may need a bit of help understanding exactly what is needed.
Just to clarify, you attached a drive to your windows box and copied the files, then moved the drive to your IdPi4.
When you do the Diskmenu, option 4, do you see the drive displayed there?

If so, you don't need to add a library, just add a auto-import entry in MC that points to a folder on that drive.

If you DON'T see the drive under option 4 on the disk menu after having chosing the Read-only or Read Write option for external disks and rebooting then there is another issue.

Nevalti

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 01:03:47 pm »

Yes, I copied files and folders from PC to SSD and then plugged the SSD into idpi4 and re-booted. I set External Media Menu to 'read/write' and re-booted again. That works fine with a thumb-drives which show up fine but not with the SSD nor HDD.

I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find what you called the "Discmenu, option 4" - so I can't answer your question. I'm a bit new to this - as you can tell.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 03:59:03 pm »

Yes, I copied files and folders from PC to SSD and then plugged the SSD into idpi4 and re-booted. I set External Media Menu to 'read/write' and re-booted again. That works fine with a thumb-drives which show up fine but not with the SSD nor HDD.

I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find what you called the "Discmenu, option 4" - so I can't answer your question. I'm a bit new to this - as you can tell.
Sorry, I meant the External Media Menu option 4 (which shows the external drive status).
If you look at the SSD or HDD in windows under Devices and Drives what is the drive name?
and if you right-click on the drive and do properties, what does windows say the filesystem is?
Thanks!

Nevalti

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 02:36:53 am »

Thanks Bob, I'm glad I wasn't going blind.

External Media Menu/4 says: "USB Drives   Filesystem    1K-blocks    Used   Available  Use%  Mounted on".

These appears to be headings but there are no entries below them, certainly no mention of the attached SSD. I will try to attach a picture.

On Windows, the SSD is imaginatively named "Samsung SSD", the Filesystem shown is "NTFS".

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 09:19:19 am »

Thanks Bob, I'm glad I wasn't going blind.

External Media Menu/4 says: "USB Drives   Filesystem    1K-blocks    Used   Available  Use%  Mounted on".

These appears to be headings but there are no entries below them, certainly no mention of the attached SSD. I will try to attach a picture.

On Windows, the SSD is imaginatively named "Samsung SSD", the Filesystem shown is "NTFS".
Ok, thanks, let me do a test here and I'll get back asap.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 10:02:21 am »

Ok, thanks, let me do a test here and I'll get back asap.
Ok, I've tried every combination of drive, filesystem, partition table and read-only vs read-write and I can't get it to fail.
A couple more questions.
How large are these external drives?
Are you running the current update (Id should show 25.0.9 in the main menu).

Nevalti

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:31 am »

Thanks Bob.

The Samsung SSD is 500GB. That is the only one in which I am really interested but the Buffalo HDD also happens to be 500GB.

The Main Menu shows: Id 25.0.4. It also shows: MC 25.0.99-3  Engen 1.0.69 if that is in any way relevant.

I will try updating the Id and get back to you whatever the result.

Nevalti

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 02:37:03 am »

I have run the update option and External Media Menu/4 now shows the Samsung SSD - hurrah! All 10,000 SSD files successfully imported along with all meta-data and cover-art. Great!  Many thanks for your help Bob.

Following the update, my device seems to be showing version 25, not version 24. That is slightly worrying because I have read somewhere that the IdPi is/was unstable with version 25. To set my mind at rest, can you confirm that my new properties are all as they should be please.

The Main Menu now shows: Id 25.0.9  MC 25.0.114  which is a little surprising because......
The update thread shows:   Id 24.0.9  MC 24.0.75   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 06:57:36 am »

MC25 on the Id is stable and has been for a while.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 12:10:59 pm »

Please check the updated post:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117702.msg814102.html#msg814102

Hopefully that will answer your questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up