INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Paradise .flac stream  (Read 4744 times)

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
Radio Paradise .flac stream
« on: April 27, 2020, 09:51:35 pm »

I thought originally there was the option to access theRadio Paradise .flac stream on MC24 and above, however revisiting it now and it is most certainly their AAC 320 stream.

What happened, was MC support for the RP lossless stream quietly dropped, or was that never a thing in the first place?

HS12

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Radio Paradise .flac stream
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:47:49 am »

Strange - I have just played Radio Paradise through my Id NUC 6ACYH running MC 26.0.37 and it is streaming flac @ 900kb/s 16 bit 44.1khz so do not have the problem you are describing.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:24:30 am »

Thank you for that data point, yes I know I've had the .flac stream running previously without any transcoding, however right now it is AAC320 on my Id Pi, all the latest updates installed, unless I'm missing something.

I also see no way with Id Pi to access that stream from anything but the server itself, neither JRemote2 nor Panel offers me the option to start that stream. While I don't think JRemote ever offered that, I thought Panel at one time did, however right now I see no option to start RP in Panel.

ManOnTheMoon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 09:54:05 am »

I thought originally there was the option to access theRadio Paradise .flac stream on MC24 and above, however revisiting it now and it is most certainly their AAC 320 stream.

What happened, was MC support for the RP lossless stream quietly dropped, or was that never a thing in the first place?

I just used File --> Open URL and copied https://stream.radioparadise.com/aac-320 to the dialogue box. I am able to hear it just fine. I also saved it to my web media list and all is good.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 08:37:57 pm »

I just used File --> Open URL and copied https://stream.radioparadise.com/aac-320 to the dialogue box. I am able to hear it just fine. I also saved it to my web media list and all is good.

Yes but that is the AAC320 stream, the subject of my post is specific to the Radio Paradise .flac stream.

I find it curious that darn near every post I make on this forum is summarily ignored by JRiver themselves.

It's as if I don't exist, or that my questions are not valid, or if simply ignored they go away. That is not support, and so even though I own licenses for macOS, Windows, and Linux, as well as 3 different Id Pi units, and have been a customer for many years, I have bought my last JRiver product and also will no longer recommend it to friends and colleagues. Congratulations, you've worn me out.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 11:28:51 pm »

Radio Paradise is still a FLAC stream, at least in the Windows version. If it isn't in the Id Pi, and is AAC 320, check in the Windows version if you have one set up, since you have the licences.  A lots has changed, a lot improved, in Streaming since MC24. It still isn't perfect but works better in MC26. Maybe the Id Pi version is for some reason accessing the AAC 320 stream. Maybe that is all it can play, although I would expect to it play native FLAC files. Maybe that needs to be fixed.

Panel has access to JRiver Radio and whatever has been added as "Car Radio" Buttons, which can include Playlists, streams etc.

JRemote2 has access JRiver Radio and Cloudplay, plus any URLs you have in MC, perhaps in a Playlist. It doesn't have a separate Streaming section at the moment.

I just Googled "FLAC Stream URL Radio Paradise" and came up with the Radio Paradise page that shows all their streaming links: https://radioparadise.com/listen/stream-links. From that list, the Main channel FLAC stream URL is: https://stream.radioparadise.com/flac  That couldn't be more obvious could it!

I use MC's "Open URL" function to open that URL, and it played Radio Paradise in 16/44.1 FLAC. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the metadata to tell you what all the tracks are, like using the Streaming menu in the Windows version of MC does. But it plays fine, you can add it to a Playlist, and you can add the Playlist to a Car Radio button. I tried to play that Car Radio button in Panel, and it didn't work, and neither did playing the Playlist directly. So something is going on there. The Playlist did play in JRemote2 though, in 16/44.1 FLAC.

So, some good news, some not so good. JRiver are still working on the Streaming functionality in all Apps.

Mike, you must be having a bad day. Aren't we all, stuck at home. Unfortunately not all, or even many, threads get responses from JRiver staff.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 06:41:56 pm »

Radio Paradise is still a FLAC stream, at least in the Windows version. If it isn't in the Id Pi, and is AAC 320, check in the Windows version if you have one set up, since you have the licences.  A lots has changed, a lot improved, in Streaming since MC24. It still isn't perfect but works better in MC26. Maybe the Id Pi version is for some reason accessing the AAC 320 stream. Maybe that is all it can play, although I would expect to it play native FLAC files. Maybe that needs to be fixed.

Panel has access to JRiver Radio and whatever has been added as "Car Radio" Buttons, which can include Playlists, streams etc.

JRemote2 has access JRiver Radio and Cloudplay, plus any URLs you have in MC, perhaps in a Playlist. It doesn't have a separate Streaming section at the moment.

I just Googled "FLAC Stream URL Radio Paradise" and came up with the Radio Paradise page that shows all their streaming links: https://radioparadise.com/listen/stream-links. From that list, the Main channel FLAC stream URL is: https://stream.radioparadise.com/flac  That couldn't be more obvious could it!

I use MC's "Open URL" function to open that URL, and it played Radio Paradise in 16/44.1 FLAC. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the metadata to tell you what all the tracks are, like using the Streaming menu in the Windows version of MC does. But it plays fine, you can add it to a Playlist, and you can add the Playlist to a Car Radio button. I tried to play that Car Radio button in Panel, and it didn't work, and neither did playing the Playlist directly. So something is going on there. The Playlist did play in JRemote2 though, in 16/44.1 FLAC.

So, some good news, some not so good. JRiver are still working on the Streaming functionality in all Apps.

Mike, you must be having a bad day. Aren't we all, stuck at home. Unfortunately not all, or even many, threads get responses from JRiver staff.

The RP .flac stream is working in the MC24 Windows, macOS, and Linux versions. I'm relatively certain it used to work on Id Pi as well, but no longer does.

Id Pi happens to be my main server, none of the other computers are on 24/7, and the Windows machine is typically not even here at home, though it is right now only due to the forced work from home circumstances here in NY and just about everywhere else.

I thank you for the response, however no, I was not just having a bad day, though as you mentioned the current situation in the world is certainly challenging.

The lack of response from JRiver in many threads that you mentioned is exactly what I was referring to as a lack of support. Many different posts of mine have been summarily ignored, and they were not crazy in-depth difficult questions, nor was I asking anyone to troubleshoot some aspect of my systems or network that have nothing to do with JRiver. Ignoring posted questions should not be the rule, it should be the exception.

Lack of updated documentation is one thing, but consistently ignoring the questions of repeat paying customers (or anyone really) is poor form. I've seen this same criticism of JRiver on various other fora over the years, and unfortunately I'm now in perfect agreement with it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 07:33:43 pm »

Well as HS12 confirmed the FLAC stream is used on the Id NUC, I guess you will have to wait for Brad or Bob, or an Id Pi user, to confirm that it is still used on the Id Pi.

I can't imagine a reason that it wouldn't be used if that was the case previously, and the hardware can play it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 08:19:47 pm »

Both Id's should be the same.

HS12

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 02:58:53 am »

I control the RP stream on my Id using PANEL - and click the streaming option (waves lines) click the RP icon once only and wait a few seconds and it loads and plays. The 320AAC version is what you get from accessing RP without the JRiver interface via a web browser. I hope this helps.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 08:57:04 pm »

Both Id's should be the same.
Evidently they are not, on a fully updated Id Pi the Radio Paradise stream is AAC320.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 10:44:21 am »

Evidently they are not, on a fully updated Id Pi the Radio Paradise stream is AAC320.
That's because the Pi3 and 3b don't have enough resources to playback the flac files without gapping between tracks.
It's possible the Pi4 does. I haven't tested that yet.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 09:11:01 pm »

The Pi 3 does play back the Radio Paradise .flac stream no problem using either the Volumio, or Moode distros.
I have no idea how they may differ from MC in terms of handling internet radio, however they do offer the RP .flac stream, and there is no limitation to only the Pi 4.

I'm not sure what you mean by gapping, but there is no discernible gap inserted between tracks using either Volumio, or Moode on Pi 3. That stream is 16-bit 44.1 kHz, the Pi 3 has no trouble with other such sources, it will play 16/44.1 gapless.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 09:53:28 am »

The Pi 3 does play back the Radio Paradise .flac stream no problem using either the Volumio, or Moode distros.
I have no idea how they may differ from MC in terms of handling internet radio, however they do offer the RP .flac stream, and there is no limitation to only the Pi 4.

I'm not sure what you mean by gapping, but there is no discernible gap inserted between tracks using either Volumio, or Moode on Pi 3. That stream is 16-bit 44.1 kHz, the Pi 3 has no trouble with other such sources, it will play 16/44.1 gapless.
Because of the way MC works internally we don't use the same method of playback that a simple renderer like volumio uses.
This means we need more overhead to deal with the crossfaded gapless playback that RP does in a file based manor.
So this isn't going to change with regards to playback on the Pi3b or below.
We'll consider changing that on future builds for the Pi4 after doing more testing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up