INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Volume control  (Read 2904 times)

stevehughes

• Recent member
Problem with Volume control
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:44:39 am »

Hi,  This is almost certainly not a JRiver problem,  but it's annoying nonetheless and I wonder if anyone here has seen it / fixed it?

I have JRiver using 'internal volume',  feeding to a Schitt Eitr USB converter.   Lately I find that when I hit the volume up/down on my remote both JRiver and Windows respond.  JRiver responds by adjusting it's internal volume slider as expected. Windows also responds by changing the volume of the sound device itself,  showing it's own vertical volume slider in the top-left of the screen.

If I close JRiver, then the volume buttons on the remote continue to control the Windows Volume. When I re-open JRiver, I again find that the volume buttons control both JRiver and Windows.

It's as if Windows is grabbing the IR command, passing it to its own volume control, and then also passing it to JRiver.  Or maybe JRiver is acting on the command but also passing it to Windows.  Not what I want at all. I want JRiver to act on the IR command, and Windows to ignore it.

This hasn't always been the case.  It's only been an issue the last couple of months.  Maybe since I upgraded to MC26, but I cant see how JRiver could be doing this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Steve.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem with Volume control
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 05:47:18 am »

Please read about Volume on the wiki.  Try setting it to Internal.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:06:25 am »

Maybe check Tools -> Options -> General -> Advanced -> Media key mode

They added a new media key mode, "Hot keys (ignore volume)" that tells JRiver to ignore the volume control and to let Windows handle it. Might be nothing, but maybe yours got changed at some point during an upgrade and that's causing the behavior?

stevehughes

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:46:58 pm »

Thanks to both of you for the pointers.

I was already set to Internal volume, but I changed it to something else and then back again.

Media key mode was set to Auto, but I changed it to something else and then back again.

Now the issue has resolved itself. Unfortunately I don’t know which of the above fixed it.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 12:38:35 am »

Sometimes even a simple setting needs to be turned off and back on again lol.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 06:50:59 am »

Sometimes even a simple setting needs to be turned off and back on again lol.
When TV's and radios had tubes, we used to have to whack them now and then.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 10:53:58 am »

When TV's and radios had tubes, we used to have to whack them now and then.

And occasionally open up the thing and do some Debuging  ;D
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

macdonjh

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 02:52:04 pm »

Reopening this thread to thank @BillH and @doof for their help way-back-when.  I am also using a Schiit Eitr USB-to-S/PDIF converter and had exactly the same problem @stevehughes described.  I don't know whether setting MC28 to "internal volume", or setting the "Hot Keys (ignore volume)" is what fixed my problem (I made both changes simultaneously), but whatever, my 2-channel audio is working.

Thanks.

[edit] I just did a little experimenting and the fixes above have also restored multi-channel audio as well.  Now I need to follow-up with the other threads I've started/ participated in to get my Zone Switches configured because when my Eitr is plugged in, MC28 won't provide output to my pre-pro.  I get an Audio error.
Pages: [1]   Go Up