INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-Channel DAC's  (Read 21574 times)

AGAWA

• World Citizen
Re: Multi-Channel DAC's
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2021, 02:42:01 am »

I know of 4 currently on the market with the least expensive >$1000.  Or are you thinking of AVRs?Can your give an example of  a "stereo USB DAC that supports 8 channels?"  Seems an oxymoron to me.

Bottom line: I agree that the ability to map channels in order to feed multiple stereo DACs is a good suggestion.  In fact, MacOS permits the creation of a virtual multichannel device from multiple stereo DACs, with channel routing and run them from an external USB hub.  I have done this with stereo DACs that can be clock-linked and it works quite well.  Unfortunately, I cannot do this in Windows and I doubt that it can be done in Linux.

Stereo by definition (from old days ) is multichannel , not just 2 channels.
There used to be Mono and Stereo (2ch , 3ch then Quad)

Have fun

Chopin75

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2021, 09:35:57 pm »

Hi,

I am trying to get 3 DACs to play 5.1 and I know there has been some of these discussed in various forum but specifically I want them to do DSD. Looks like. Mytek DAC were the only ones being done with ASIO but that was a while back. anyone here somewhere still know how to do this?  The reason I do this is I prefer my own selection of non-sigma-Delta DACs for both PCM and DSD. I can do on core audio via Mac which works quite ok but I can only do in PCM mode as Core Audio resampled it to PCM. Looks like ASIO is the only one that can do native DSD. I also think I can clock externally somehow my DACs together.

Bjorn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2022, 05:55:59 am »

I had a Lynx Aurora 16 TB for a while in my home theater. It has loud pops through the speakers if you turn off the Aurora before the amps. You  have to set a single sample rate and use it, but that is what I do anyway. I switched to a MOTU 1248 and liked it better. The MOTU is multi-client and lets you measure REW through the input/output of the audio device. Just this week I received an RME M-32 Pro DA which I will now be using in my 11.6.6 theater.

You don't need the AES16e card for the DAC8Pro, but you can use it. It will be easier to just use USB. You will need another input card or USB microphone to measure with REW.
Hi mojave. I need some assistance how to measure the system with REW through JRiver with the Motu 1248. I've read your article, but things are still unclear.

Setup consist of two active 2-way speakers, subwoofers and two passive surrounds. I'm using the crossover filters in REW for active the 2-way speakers, but a separate DSP for the subwoofers.

Motu 1248 outputs is as follows:
Channel 1: Left tweeter/midrange (active 2-way)
Channel 2: Right tweeter/midrange (active 2-way)
Channel 3: Left midbass (active 2-way)
Channel 4: Right midbass (active 2-way)
Channel 7: Left surround
Channel 8: Right surround
Optical out to a DSP for multiple subwoofers.

I've attached pictures of routing in Motu, JRiver settings and REW settings.

Obviously I use a mic connected to the Motu 1248 and use this channel as Input 1 in REW.

1. If Asio is to be used, what outputs do I use in REW?

2. What settings are to be used in Asio line-in under "Open live"? And what does "channel offset" represent?

3. If I want to run loopback in order to time align, what settings do I need to use for this?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2022, 04:59:56 pm »

This is illustrated in the link I posted previously

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126507.msg894281.html#msg894281

You route from rew to some channels of your choosing which you then loopback in the Motu as inputs, you then open asio live in on those channels which will then play the sweep through MC and out to your speakers.

Chopin75

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2022, 01:26:54 am »

3x Audio-gd DACs would work, they do have some DAC < $1000

Sorry, still don’t get it...

I use a multichannel setup with 7 Stereo dacs (with DANTE). This is a lot of equipment. And if you set a price limit of 1,000 $, this setup will only have 150$ stereo dacs. That is not highend.

So, again my question: which dac model comes you in mind? 3x Moon 100D? Or 3x Bryston BDA-3?

Personally, if I would start again with mch, I would go with HDMI and a NAD T778 or M17 or Marantz or Yamaha....

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2023, 06:20:08 am »

I only put the Anubis in there because you tried it.  ;D

Most are relevant. You buy them, connect them, install the driver, and select the output in JRiver. Sure, they have other routing capability and you can use many as a mic preamp for room measurements, but most work out of the box as a multi-channel DAC.

Dante requires a $30 Virtual Soundcard, but it is easy to setup.

I've used Steinberg (2 DACs), Tascam (2 DACs), M-Audio (1 DAC), Lynx Studio (2 DACs & AES card), MOTU (3 DACs), Echo Audio (1 DAC), Mytek (3 DAC's clocked together), and Solid State Logic (1 DAC) in my system. This is all just for 7.1 surround sound. I don't do recording or mixing. They are all easier to setup and use than the simplest receiver. You can pick the WASAPI driver on most for the easiest setup and don't even need to know about ASIO buffers.

Most MOTU DAC's use the ESS Sabre 32-bit DAC chips. I just reset one MOTU back to the factory default. I used the Quick Setup and then needed just 8 clicks for it to work properly as an 8 channel DAC. MOTU has automatic sample rate switching, no pops during sample rate changes, no pops on amps if DAC is turned off first (at least in my system), and even cool tools like a Spectrogram, FFT analyzer, and oscilloscope that you can view live during playback of any channel.

If you want just analog output, you should include the ESI Gigaport (either unbalanced or balanced) and the ASUS Xonar U7 MKII. Both will outperform almost any receiver. If you want "Audiophile" for the MAC, then check out the Dangerous Music Convert 8. It has all controls on the front, automatically switches sample rate, is DC coupled, and needs no drivers or any software.

https://youtu.be/Pd70D0tkF28

I will say that one cool thing about the MOTU and RME devices is that their driver is multi-client (I think the new Lynx Studios Aurora (n) is also). I can have JRiver playing a 7.1 moving on 8 channels of my MOTU 1248, and can also use 2 channels for a Zone in the family room and 2 channels for a Zone outside. These audio devices really leverage the Zone capability of JRiver.
My 5.1 home system build is long overdue, b
but before I begin to narrow my choices on speakers to audition, I really need to settle on a multichannel DAC.

Unfortunately, there seems to be very few MCH models, either from the consumer or pro audio market, which will likely sound as good as Benchmark DACs or better. The Exasound and Okto MCH DACs are probably the  best sounding consumer models. But the top Exasound model s88 has DSD, server and other functionality that I wouldn't want to pay $7.5K for. The e68 would have worked for me if it had the balanced outputs I need.
The discontinued e38MK2 would be the almost perfect solution if I can find one with the optional XLRs, or if Exasound will add them for me.

However, in his review of the Topping Pre90 preamp,
https://www.stereophile.com/content/topping-pre90-line-preamplifier, KR mentions that the DIRAC 3 he uses for room correction imposes a 20db gain loss. And even with its balanced outputs the e38MK2 will only supply ~ 4V. Would that be enough to drive most power amps under DIRAC 3? Note that this amp has adjustable input sensitivity. https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/rel-subwoofers-with-ahb2-power-amplifier

If yes, then if I use two such stereo amps for the front and side speakers and center speaker then the Exasound e38MK2 DAC looks like the ideal choice.

However, if 7V or more is required then the Okto Pro 8 DAC with the optional output voltage upgrade is the only MCH DAC option from the consumer market.

OTOH, I believe that you implied that the best sounding alternative from the pro audio market is probably  https://www.dangerousmusic.com/product/convert-8

Here's the manual https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e15d4fba20f9d0f914ce7aa/t/5ecbdb7029db2e1e76c78fc9/1590418293088/convert-8-manual.pdf

But no balanced output voltage for all channels is shown in the specs.

My new HTPC https://www.steigerdynamics.com/ has an Intel Rocket Lake Xeon CPU with ECC memory and LG BD drive running Windows 10. The routine is to play my BD movies on my pc via JRiver, which decodes the DTS MA and outputs the PCM audio to the DAC via USB. But the manual says that the Dangerous Convert 8's  USB input "currently" runs only on MAC OS. I can email info@dangerousmusic.com about their plans for Windows, if any.   

However, the Convert 8 DAC apparently has no wireless volume/mute remote and would be useless to me without one.

Regarding room correction compatability, will the Exasound e38 DAC's 4 volt balanced outputs adequately compensate for DIRAC 3's 20db gain loss?

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2023, 11:02:14 pm »

My 5.1 home system build is long overdue, b
but before I begin to narrow my choices on speakers to audition, I really need to settle on a multichannel DAC.

Unfortunately, there seems to be very few MCH models, either from the consumer or pro audio market, which will likely sound as good as Benchmark DACs or better. The Exasound and Okto MCH DACs are probably the  best sounding consumer models. But the top Exasound model s88 has DSD, server and other functionality that I wouldn't want to pay $7.5K for. The e68 would have worked for me if it had the balanced outputs I need.
The discontinued e38MK2 would be the almost perfect solution if I can find one with the optional XLRs, or if Exasound will add them for me.

However, in his review of the Topping Pre90 preamp,
https://www.stereophile.com/content/topping-pre90-line-preamplifier, KR mentions that the DIRAC 3 he uses for room correction imposes a 20db gain loss. And even with its balanced outputs the e38MK2 will only supply ~ 4V. Would that be enough to drive most power amps under DIRAC 3? Note that this amp has adjustable input sensitivity. https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/rel-subwoofers-with-ahb2-power-amplifier

If yes, then if I use two such stereo amps for the front and side speakers and center speaker then the Exasound e38MK2 DAC looks like the ideal choice.

However, if 7V or more is required then the Okto Pro 8 DAC with the optional output voltage upgrade is the only MCH DAC option from the consumer market.

OTOH, I believe that you implied that the best sounding alternative from the pro audio market is probably  https://www.dangerousmusic.com/product/convert-8

Here's the manual https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e15d4fba20f9d0f914ce7aa/t/5ecbdb7029db2e1e76c78fc9/1590418293088/convert-8-manual.pdf

But no balanced output voltage for all channels is shown in the specs.

My new HTPC https://www.steigerdynamics.com/ has an Intel Rocket Lake Xeon CPU with ECC memory and LG BD drive running Windows 10. The routine is to play my BD movies on my pc via JRiver, which decodes the DTS MA and outputs the PCM audio to the DAC via USB. But the manual says that the Dangerous Convert 8's  USB input "currently" runs only on MAC OS. I can email info@dangerousmusic.com about their plans for Windows, if any.   

However, the Convert 8 DAC apparently has no wireless volume/mute remote and would be useless to me without one.

Regarding room correction compatability, will the Exasound e38 DAC's 4 volt balanced outputs adequately compensate for DIRAC 3's 20db gain loss?

The Convert 8 seems like a nice unit. You're running into the problems I did with volume control too. Dangerous actually makes a product for that too, with the unique ability to scale beyond 8ch (useful for atmos, active speakers, or bass management).

The Topping Dm7 is serving me really quite well. It's a fantastic 8 channel DAC with a built in volume control. 8ch frankly isn't enough in an ideal world but it's converters are absurdly good for the price. It works with Windows (you need Topping's driver for 8ch) and out of the box is supported on pretty much any modern linux distro. It'll do 4 or 5v btw.

Beyond that, the Merging units are in a class of their own. They're a bit of a total system changer as they're designed for network audio rather than USB. You can scale them as well due to the shared network clock reference. I don't actually think I could ever go back from using AES67 as a transport (I still have it work with USB D/A however), it's amazing IMO

Pablitho

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2023, 02:12:16 pm »

Just this week I received an RME M-32 Pro DA which I will now be using in my 11.6.6 theater.

Hi Mojave,

Are you still using the RME M-32 Pro DA in your theater?

skjenzen

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2024, 03:04:46 pm »

Obviously I use a mic connected to the Motu 1248 and use this channel as Input 1 in REW.

1. If Asio is to be used, what outputs do I use in REW?

It is a lot easier to use a USB microphone. Just connect it to PC and choose as input in REW. Works seamlessly with MOTU ASIO driver.

I have had the MOTU 1248 for many years now, since it became available. It offers very good sound quality in my opinion, but don't use the built in volume control for analog outputs in MOTU 1248. It ruins audio quality, even though MOTU engineers claim it does'nt. The MOTU trim settings for analog output levels is a lot better, and I hve used it for level matching of channels in my 6 channel line level XO. Eventually, I handle all volume control, matching af volume between channels and delay setting for speaker channels efficiently in JRiver DSP. So now,  I only use the 1248 as a pure multichannel DAC.

Source: PC, DSP XO in JRiver + PLLXO, DAC: Motu 1248
Amplifiers: First One M (6 channels - DIY)
Speaker: Dayton AMT4PRO/Monacor CTC DIY
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up