INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with SOME ripped SACD audio files not playing  (Read 1576 times)

Waveform

Help with SOME ripped SACD audio files not playing
« on: January 30, 2021, 04:49:51 pm »

My library (and JRiver) is on a i3 Toshiba laptop. The output is via HDMI to a Denon receiver X4500H.
Three of my SACD albums (ripped to Flac) do not play when my "Audio Device" in JRiver is set to "DENON-AVRHD [WASAPI]" but play OK when the set to DENON-AVRHD [Direct Sound] or "Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]. This is not ideal because I would like to bypass Windows.

The file properties (according to Foobar2000) of a track which does NOT play (Miles Davis - see attached) is 44.1kHz, 5 channel, 24 bits, whereas another file (just an example) which has no problem (Deep Purple - see attached) is 352.8 kHZ, 6 channels, 24 bit.

The error messages I get are also attached: viz. "Playback could not be started using the format 44.1kHz 24bit 5ch. This format would work: 44.1kHz 24bit 2ch"

Thanks for any suggestions.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with SOME ripped SACD audio files not playing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 05:33:43 pm »

Welcome to the forums.

Either your Denon or your video card is rejecting the 5 channel format. I hear of audio format difficulties with Denon units from time to time.

DirectSound always works because it resamples and manipulates as it sees fit to push a square peg through a round hole. But you are right to avoid it; the sound quality is affected. WASAPI is the right one to use.

Use the Output Format module of DSP studio to set the number of channels to 7.1 (no upmixing or downmixing) and see what happens.

Waveform

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:48:19 am »

That solved the issue, thanks!

So the Denon needs to see 5.1 as an input, not 5.0.
To confirm, I added a dummy LFE channel (with Audacity) and now the files play fine.

I wondered  what the Denon was seeing when the same input was coming from the SACD player. When I did that, the Denon correctly reports 5.0, whether I bitstream DSD or have the player output PCM, and it plays fine.

So the Denon sees 5.0 PCM coming from the SACD player differently than PCM coming from the computer.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 12:47:46 pm »

As I said, your video card is involved. It might not handshake correctly with the Denon for 5.0.

Glad to help...
Pages: [1]   Go Up