INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1. Changed: Waveform data is no longer being created for Video content.  (Read 1137 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe

I loved that feature.
Why have you disabled it? Its really a step backwards.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

zybex

• MC Beta Team
Re: 1. Changed: Waveform data is no longer being created for Video content.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 11:34:48 am »

https://xkcd.com/1172/  :)

It was deemed useless in a recent thread, not worth the size it adds to the database. Please search the forum.
Just curious, how do you use it? While playing video in fullscreen you can't view it, and if it's not fullscreen... what's the purpose? Music videos?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 11:36:11 am »

Even when playing in windowed mode, typical videos are too long to offer any good resolution within the waveform itself, which made the case for turning them off.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manfred

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 03:32:05 pm »

Why I use it:

I have around >460 musice concerts, videos, concert documentation etc.

e.g. if I want to go to a specific song on Shakira Live in Paris I can see on the waveform where to go, put the cursor on that position and immediately the selected song starts.

It was deemed useless in a recent thread, not worth the size it adds to the database. Please search the forum.

I commented on that thread, size of the database is with recent SSD's not a problem for me.

Why could you not make it an option?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

wer

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 03:46:27 pm »

e.g. if I want to go to a specific song on Shakira Live in Paris I can see on the waveform where to go, put the cursor on that position and immediately the selected song starts.

Or you could use chapters or particles, which would be much more efficient, accurate, and flexible.

Some things shouldn't exist because they just cause more problems than they solve. You might not agree, but the consensus was that wavefore data for videos fell into that category.

Manfred

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 04:14:27 pm »

I really disagree.

Or you could use chapters or particles, which would be much more efficient, accurate, and flexible.

If mc would do it full automatically I would agree , but the user experience is bad one has to do a lot of manual work.

Some things shouldn't exist because they just cause more problems than they solve.
There were not much persons who had a problem with it.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 04:49:26 pm »

I think most people would be happy with an option. It's a complete waste of space imv.

wer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 05:25:12 pm »

If mc would do it full automatically I would agree ,

Well, in a way you can have it automatically, because if you rip with MakeMKV, the chapter markers are preserved, and you can just skip right to them in MC.

Sorry, but I just don't see the rationality behind trying to use a visual waveform to pick out the track you want in a music video.

Lots of people have complained about waveform. I personally think it's a big waste of space.  But to each his own.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 10:43:00 am »

What MC just stopped doing waveform for all media types except audio, but left the ability for users to temporarily change the media type of video to audio just for analyzing. The functionality is already there, and no more options need piled on.

stan9980

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 11:37:45 am »

Please make waveform analysis for video at least an option. There's plenty of room next to the "skip analysed files" check box for a "skip video files" check box.

I found the waveform for video very useful. Ads and other inserts are often louder so skipping them precisely was simple as they showed up clearly. It also made it clear with whether the video in question was having a moody quiet spell or whether I needed to adjust the volume for the next 20 minutes.

In a 2 hour video on a 1920 x1080 screen there was sufficient resolution to be able to discern the above. I also regularly detach the video to my second monitor letting me view the waveform in the main MC window.

I have around 400k files in MC my field (waveform).jmd file is 550MB, that doesn't seem excessive with today's storage capacities. I didn't understand the complaint in the other thread regarding backing up. My library is backed up regularly, without the size of field (waveform).jmd causing any problems. Besides most backup software allows you to filter files you want to back up if it is that much of an issue.

Particles are great in theory but it's a fairly involved process and something only worth doing on videos you're definitely keeping and watching regularly. Waveform analysis takes seconds, requires little input from me and gives me enough information get what I want done.

The use of MakeMKV for automatic chapter markers is great, but only helps with physical media that is ripped. With the increase in digital-only media, the waveform offered a simple low-effort way of navigating a video.

I don't think temporarily changing media type is much of a solution. As I said, there is plenty of room next to the "skip analysed files" check box for a "skip video files" check box.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 03:07:32 am »

Waveform Analysis should be made OPTIONAL for EVERYBODY and not just for Video's!
It's Edit Type should also be set to "Cannot be edited" to stop miscreants causing havoc by modifying it.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 06:48:55 am »

Waveform Analysis should be made OPTIONAL for EVERYBODY and not just for Video's!
It's Edit Type should also be set to "Cannot be edited" to stop miscreants causing havoc by modifying it.
I agree.  Please post a link in the build thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up