INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.137 beta  (Read 12462 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.0.137 beta
« on: March 28, 2003, 01:56:59 pm »

Media Center 9.0.137 beta is available.        

Some things may not work.  If that worries you, please wait until Media Center is out of beta.

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter90137.exe

1. Fixed: Selecting some Media Library items would cause the cursor to jump back to Media Library.

1. Fixed: Could not drag a playlist around in the tree without first clicking on it. (required an extra click)
2. Fixed: Operations that changed the filename of a file did not work properly. (file would not be moved, tagging would fail, etc.)
3. Fixed: MC could not move data files or files where tagging failed.
4. Changed: Added confirmation dialog before removing empty directories after a file move.
5. Fixed: "My Computer" folder drag-n-drop was not working properly.
6. Fixed: After cancelling a recycle folder in "My Computer", the folder would still be removed from the tree.
7. Changed: Search wizard won't fight with search terms there aren't wizards for. (like volume=, filename=, etc.)
8. Fixed: MC wouldn't allow a smartlist to be cleared of all its rules and still be saved.
9. Changed: Search wizard trims trailing "or" pieces when removing a token.
10. Changed: MC now uses the number search wizard for percentage fields.
11. Changed: Added examples for sorting and duplicates search wizard boxes.
12. Fixed: Improved "View Filter" handling of complicated filtering systems.
13. Fixed: Sticky view Sorting was not working in several places. (My Computer, etc.)
14. Fixed: Media Center was ignoring username and password info in a URL.
15. Fixed: NetSwitcher software could cause Media Center license to expire.
16. Fixed: Media Center did not save network passwords.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

Re: Media Center 9.0.137 beta
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 02:19:31 pm »

Suggestion:
How about hiding the Playlists list in File Properties if nothing is selected...like File Info is hidden?

It is too easy to go 'what happened' now that highlighting an Org Tree node does not automatically assume everything in Content View is selected.  This visual reminder that nothing is selected (in Content View) and that's why no Playlists are showing (in File Properties) would help (too...as it does for File Info).

Bugs:
1. You can not update tags in file properties if all you want to do is truncate (remove the last portion) a current field's value...because MC always puts the original value back in the field when you hit [Tab].  If you hit [Enter] it works, but using [Tab] does not.  Try changing the Album name field for any MP3 and just remove the last word/letter in the title and press [Tab]...the original name will be restored.

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 05:16:55 pm »

• Fixed - Date Opened: 2003/03/20  Priority: High
    The mjextman /Connect command is no longer accepting a userid and password as part of the connect string.  'mjextman /Connect m01p://userid:password@myserver' still pops up the userid and password prompt.

• Fixed - Date Opened: 2003/03/20  Priority: High
    The first track you play via a media server with authentication enabled requires you to enter a userid and password again.  It remembers what was entered previously if you've checked the 'save this password….' box but you're still required to press enter.

• Fixed - Date Opened: 2003/03/27  Priority: High
    Neither Rename File From Properties nor direct edit of filename are  creating new directories but they still change the filename in the library.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/03/20  Priority: High
    If you use the mjextman /Connect command to connect to a remote library when the default local library is empty, MC pops up the Import Media dialog as soon as it starts and requires you to dismiss it before it will connect to the remote library.  Happens with or without authentication.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/03/20  Priority: High
    When Media Server authentication is turned on, you're forced to press enter on the userid and password prompt even if you've checked the 'save this password…' box preventing the ability to start unattended.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/02/24  Priority: High
    The confirmation box that pops up on a Find and Replace on filename if the destination file already exists needs more options.  'Accept, Accept All, Ignore, Ignore All and Cancel'

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/02/24  Priority: High
    The converter forces '[ARTIST]/[ALBUM]' directory naming which un-does directoy changes made to compilation albums to get them into the 'multiple artists' category.

• Open - Date Opened: 2002/11/14  Priority: High
    When 'Decode directly to CD' is unchecked, and you burn more than 1 CD, the raw temp file is deleted and recreated for each CD instead of using the one created at the start of the first burn

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/03/20  Priority: Medium
    Connecting to a media server seems unusually slow.  20 seconds on my local network.  Most of the wait time is after the library is retrieved.  There doesn't seem to be any network or CPU activity during this time

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/03/18  Priority: Medium
    Old bug resurfaced:  If 'External Encoder' is selected, it's options dialog pops up un-asked for when the main encoder options page is opened.

• Open - Date Opened: 2002/11/14  Priority: Medium
    When the media server responds to a search, it responds with the first interface it's bound to even if that interface isn't reachable by the client that issued the search request.   My server has 2 interfaces, one private, one public.  My laptop is on the public network.  I issue a search from the laptop and the server responds with the name and ip address of the private interface which the laptop can never reach.  Combined with the previous problem, I can get 4 responses for the private interface, all useless

• Open - Date Opened: 2002/11/14  Priority: Medium
    If the client actually gets only 1 response to a Media Server search, it tries to connect immediately.  It should problably give you an option to see the response and confirm that you want to connect to it.

• Open - Date Opened: 2002/10/15  Priority: Medium
    Analyze Audio isn't handling tracks under 10 seconds very well.   BPM is left at 0 and gains are set anywhere from -20db to +159db.   This would be OK if there were a way to manually adjust the gain and peak level values instead of just being able to clear them.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/02/21  Priority: Low
    If you hold down the CTRL key while selecting items in the details pane, you can only select 5-6 before the previous selections un-select themselves.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/02/13  Priority: Low
    The YADB track lookup will only work in small batches.  I just tried a batch of 14 track from 'Neko Case' 'Blacklisted' and got the last 4 tracks only.  Had to go back and do 4 at a time to get them all.

• Open - Date Opened: 2003/01/22  Priority: Low
    Can't turn off tooltips for the drop target and player controls.

• Open - Date Opened: 2002/09/26  Priority: Low
    When collapsing 'Auto Smartlists (audio)' after selecting one of the random or favorite lists, the app hangs for about 10 seconds while spinning the cpu at 100%

Fedora 40 x86_64 Xfce

rocketsauce

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 05:58:48 pm »

Installing updates resets the Menu Bar buttons to the default.

Still having a hard time figuring out how sticky views is supposed to be better than how sorting worked before sticky views was implemented.

Also, sorting just seems to be acting odd. Appears to sort albums by track # when there is only one album for an artist, but not always...sometimes tracks appear in random order. When there are multiple albums for an artist, the tracks seem to be grouped by album name but not in chronological or alphabetical order.

Rob

Marko

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 10:10:18 pm »

Bug: When changing channels via the right-click menu, the channel info (above the play button) is not updated. (start watching channel 10, right click screen, change to channel 2. Player control still says 10, and clicking 'next' moves to channel 11, not 3)

Much Bigger Bug
I cannot access my disc drives in this build either. All the same errors as before.
MC correctly shows the cd in 'My Computer' and 'cd,dvd,handhelds' in the tree, just can't actually do anything with the files. I've tried everything I can think of to get this working, and failed.

Bug - or by design?
I uninstall before upgrading. The first thing I do is run through the options panel. I start @ the top and work down. Eventually, I arrive at the encoding options. I choose mp3 for my cd ripping and MC throws a dialogue about 'go getting the plugin'. In a few seconds, I get a box informing the plugin was installed correctly. As soon as I click OK to this message, MC shuts down. Then, when I go back into options, none of the settings I'd made before arriving @ encoding options have been saved. I have to start all over again. It's been like this a while now so I'm wise to it and do the mp3 plugin 1st, wait for the shutdown, then do the rest. Gotta tell you though, it's either one extremely irritating lil' bug, or if by design and MC needs to restart, can't it wait till the options box is closed, saved the settings made, then inform the user that it needs to restart to finish installing the plugin?

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2003, 01:09:54 am »

Hi Matt,

The TOOL Menu now appears after 15 secs.  The rest of the menu items appears immediately.  But the TOOL menu will take about 15 secs to appear.

The v133 release did not have this problem.  

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2003, 01:43:10 am »

BUG...
DSP 5.1 Channels no loger works.  When selected & a song is played the processor usage goes through the roof.

BUG...
When using ASIO & playing a song, the volume control is very jerky & causes clicks with each jerk.  Don't know if this is a MC9 problem or a kXProject driver problem but all other sound sources (with the kX driver in use) does not have this problem.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2003, 01:53:04 am »

Dear Matt,

Thanks for the new builds.

problem with 9.0137 so far :
- Can't use CD playback and ripping (gave details to JohnT)
- Customs fields (Composer, etc...) can't be displayed in visualisation studio and track info
- It used to be possible to get statistics for a whole tree node data by just clicking on it. For example clicking on Media Lib/audio would give statistics for the entire audio data. Now it seems you have to explicitly select the data (Crtl-A in that case).

thanks,

Media Center Registered 9.0.137 -- C:\Program Files\J River\MediaCenter\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1199 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 589 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive X:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Y:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav

Burning /  Drive Y: SONY     CD-RW  CRX195E4    Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

nila

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2003, 02:25:10 am »

BUGS
  • m2v and avi files are both being put in the 'audio' category'.

• Playing a .avi file, double click on it to make it full screen, it jumps to full screen, then jumps as it suddenly displays the toolbars and the picture disappears. Double clicking this fixes it and makes the toolbars disappear and the video appear. Double clicking it again makes it jump to windowed, then instantly back to full screen again with the toolbars. Double clicking each time toggles between - with toolbars and without. It never returns to windowed unless I press ESC.

• Duration and bitrate are both not showing in any of my video files yet if I start playing the file it instantly tells me:  elapsed time/total time - if it can work it out when it's playing it then it should be able to work it out for my library too.

nila

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2003, 02:57:42 am »

BUG
  • While typing in searches I seem to be finding quite a lot that the focus is jumping to nodes in the left tree from the search bar.
  • Tried encoding two files using these settings:  -b 24 -m j --abr 70 -B 112 --resample 32 -q 2 (entered into the 'Custom' in mp3 VBR) and MJ decoded them, then just sat there when it was encoding them again claiming it was encoding them but making no progress.
    (I tried in Razorlame and it returned an error from LAME so possibly MJ is just not handling errors returned).
    Clicking on the 'Cancel' Button while it sat there just resulted in it hanging with the button there and not cancelling.

MachineHead

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2003, 02:58:04 am »

Still having a hard time figuring out how sticky views is supposed to be better than how sorting worked before sticky views was implemented.

Also, sorting just seems to be acting odd. Appears to sort albums by track # when there is only one album for an artist, but not always...sometimes tracks appear in random order. When there are multiple albums for an artist, the tracks seem to be grouped by album name but not in chronological or alphabetical order.

I'm getting some goofy things like this also. So far, when I install a new build I have to re-sort the columns. Happened with the last 3-4 builds or so. Installing over previous builds when this happens.

Minor Flaws:

Gridlines are not aligned with column tabs.

Re-sizing file properties when in windowed mode doesn't change cursor to indicate re-sizing is available.

NOTE: This build is much faster than the last couple in regards to loading a song for playing.

Listening to: 'Walkin' On The Sun' from 'Fush Yu Mang' by 'Smash Mouth' on Media Center 9.0

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2003, 03:35:53 am »

Gridlines are not aligned with column tabs.

Mike,
Can you start a new thread on this?  I think it's a video driver problem.  Post a screenshot if you can or e-mail me one and I'll post it.

nila

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2003, 03:46:00 am »

Aww, I been trimmed   ;D

BUG
  • Trying to play video files (.avi's which are being reported as audio files) - if I send the file to playing now and go to the playing now window it has a message along the top saying: Media Center cannot display visualisations for this file type. Visualisations are only available for internally supported file types (mp3, ogg, ...) - if I double click on the file in the playing now window though it starts playing the video like it should and it displays fine (other than the bugs reported above).

nila

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2003, 03:50:27 am »

BUG
  • Vertical scroll bar in the options window - this jumps back to the Windows standard scroll bar when clicked on. Also, if you click on the scroll bar, instead of selecting it ready for moving like is the behavior with most scroll bars, it starts jumping it up and down the list.

ZRocker

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2003, 04:15:55 am »

Comment:
I'm with the crowd that liked selecting a node in the Org tree and having MC assume everything in the Content window was selected (for File Info, Statistics, Delete, etc.)...like Windows Explorer does.  If non-standard support is really needed for this can we please, please have an option and let the user decide how they want it?

Update:
I do not feel this is a new request...just saying the old way MJ 7 & 8 and earlier versions of MC 9 worked was just fine (logical and Windows standard), in my opinion

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2003, 04:34:33 am »

In DSP studio if we change the output format to 4.1 channels the information is not saved but only the 2 channels. the 5.1 channels output works and keeps saved
Made in Portugal

nila

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2003, 04:58:36 am »

Zrocker - In explorer, if you delete the files, they're still sitting in your recycle bin waiting to be restored if it was an accident.
With MJ there's hours of tagging info put into all the files, much of which is stored only within the db. If the files are deleted from the db it's all lost. The info is far more delicate then simple file names or even just re-getting the files.
I do agree on it showing the summarised info for the Statistics page though :) This is non destructive :)

BUG
  • CD Burning is now analysing my device again each time and is taking 18 seconds to add 12 tracks when I click on 'Burn CD' after selecting some tracks. It's also Analysing (and not repainting while doing this giving the appearance of having crashed) when deleting files from the Burn playlist, again taking around 17 seconds before it's useable again.
    (selecting files and right clicking and choosing 'cd burner' is adding them instantly without the analysing happening)
  • MC is associated with mp4 files but when I use 'My Computer' it's not displaying the mp4 files in the dir and it's not playing them either.

5TillFree

• Recent member
  • Rock On!
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2003, 05:13:38 am »

;D Yahoo! I can finally rip to WMA again! Nice new look & icons! Keep up the good work. No negatives to report at this time ;D
»» Select Windows Freeware ««
http://www.SelectFreeware.com

ZRocker

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2003, 05:35:08 am »

Nila,

I'm fully aware of everything you said...my point, let me choose my fate...in 3+ years of MJ/MC use, I've never accidently mass deleted or edited anything (so, I'm not worried about making a mistake...if I did, I'd still not be upset).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2003, 05:56:37 am »

Nila, Z, and anyone else interested,
If you want to discuss how the selection should act (and it's probably a good idea to do so), please start a new thread.  I'm going to remove these comments from this thread so we can focus on the bugs.

Any other feature requests will also be removed.  It's show time.

ZRocker

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2003, 06:21:36 am »

Bugs:
1. Those delayed tag updates or file moves of a currently playing track are not working.  MC's seems to be waiting always until  you exit MC to update the tag or move the file (if it was playing when the update was attempted).  MC is not attempting the update after it stops playing...so, it's easy to ambush MC if you leave MC running for hours/days and do the update or file move or file rename again any time within that period.  I seem to remember reading (from Matt) that the updates would happen after the track stopped playing...not happening.

dragyn

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2003, 07:46:19 am »

I reformated this computer (again). There was some file access problem with explorer but my thumbnail problem went away (not creating thumbnails).

When doing a search, like in Artist/Album, it jumps to Media Library and you lose focus when you're typing and have to retype it. It didn't use to do this. Also noticed when viewing a lot of files and trying to search, it takes forever when typing because it keeps searching after a couple letters. I'm not a fast typer.

I noticed those cool looking arrows that shows the order when using skins. Well, there are 2 minor problems:
  • If the header display length is short, like # for track number, the arrow will cover it up. It doesn't happen if it's the first column displayed.
  • Not a real biggy but the arrows are aligned to the right. so when you are looking at columns that are wide, it looks like the arrow belongs to the next column but it doesn't.
View Filter isn't hiding tree items that are hidden from the main view pane.

Lastplayed is not setting the seconds right. When it's halfway through, it starts it then instead of half the file earlier. Like if the file was 10mins long and half way through, it will say lastplayed 0secs ago instead of 5mins ago.

When pasting from the clipboard into the search box using the right click menu, it will not get pasted unless you first left click the box.

Edit toolbar button doesn't edit the correct field when using it. It defaults to "Name". Same thing happens with F2. If you right click on the field first, then the toolbar button and F2 go to that field only. Well if right-clicking is the only way to change fields, then those 2 things are useless as the edit field is already in the menu.

Using a ~sort in a view scheme group has precedence over a view scheme. I think it should be the other way around as I have view schemes with sort orders but want the group to be sorted only when viewing it. This may solve the problem of accessing media files first, then the search criteria instead search criteria, then media types. I've had slowdown with lots of images and few audio files when only searching audio files.

Renaming or moving a view scheme loses columns (changes back to default view).

'Album group if logical' isn't adding the correct files to playing now if there are multiple albums of different file types (ape, apl, mp3). It adds them all. ape isn't even in the view scheme to begin with yet it manages to get in there.

Media Center Registered 9.0.137 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 805 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 54 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929)wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: TEAC     CD-W54E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2003, 08:38:21 am »

Test File Properties Editing Scenario #1

1. Import a file into MC.  In the format display, all tags display correctly:

MPEG-1 Layer 3
192 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Stereo

Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Protected by CRC: No

ID3v1 Tag: (128 bytes)
  Name: Acknowledgement
  Artist: John Coltrane
  Album: Love Supreme
  Year: 1964
  Comment:
  Track #: 1
  Genre: Jazz (8)

ID3v2 Tag: (12439 bytes)
 COMM (Keywords): this is it
 COMM (Styles): test styles
 COMM (Tool Version): 9.0.137
 COMM (Tool Name): Media Center
  APIC: <unknown data type>
 TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Solo..): John Coltrane
 TPE2 (Band/orchestra/accompa..): Coltrane Orchestra
 TPE3 (Conductor/performer re..): Coltrane Conductor
 TIT2 (Title/songname/content..): Acknowledgement
 TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Love Supreme
 TRCK (Track number/Position ..): 1
 TYER (Year): 1964
 TCOM (Composer): Coltrane
 TPUB (Publisher): Test Publisher
 TCON (Content type): Jazz
 COMM (Comments): <too large to display>

Problem #1: Artist field in the database is populated with &#8220;Coltrane Orchestra&#8221; (TPE2). It should be populated with &#8220;John Coltrane&#8221; (TPE1)

Note: When I play this track using the &#8220;simply lyrics&#8221; track info page and click on comments, it correctly displays all of the text from the comment in the ID3V2 tag.

Test #1: I edit the properties and change the &#8220;Styles&#8221; field (a custom field) from &#8220;test styles&#8221; to &#8220;new styles&#8221;.  MC writes the tag.  Now the format looks like the following:

MPEG-1 Layer 3
192 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Stereo

Artist: Coltrane Orchestra
  Comment: Easily one of the most impor

ID3v2 Tag: (4126 bytes)
 COMM (Styles): new styles
 TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Solo..): Coltrane Orchestra

Notice the changes and lost tags?

Problem #2: Originally, the Comment field in the ID3v1 tag was blank. Now it contains the first 28 characters from the comment that was in the ID3v2 tag.

Problem #3: TPE1 changed from &#8220;John Coltrane&#8221; to &#8220;Coltrane Orchestra&#8221;.  (This reflects the improper import listed in problem #1)

Problem #4: Data in TPE2 is lost

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 75 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 325 MB, Free - 133 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2003, 08:39:25 am »

Test File Properties Editing Scenario #2: Same scenario as before, except the comment field in the ID3V1 tag contains 28 characters of data on import.

1. Import a file into MC.  In the format display, all tags display correctly:

MPEG-1 Layer 3
192 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Stereo

Artist: John Coltrane

COMM (Styles): test styles

Problem #5: When I play this track using the &#8220;simply lyrics&#8221; track info page and click on comments, it displays the text from the comment in the ID3V1 tag. This is 28 characters. The comment in the ID3V2 tag is much longer. It such be displayed as default.

Test #2: I edit the properties and change the &#8220;Styles&#8221; field (a custom field) from &#8220;test styles&#8221; to &#8220;new styles&#8221;.  MC writes the tag.  Now the format looks like the following

MPEG-1 Layer 3
192 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Stereo

ID3v2 Tag: (2078 bytes)
 COMM (Comments): Easily one of the most impor

Problem #6: The text in the comment field in the ID3V2 was truncated. Basically, it was replaced with the data from the comment field in the ID3V1 tag.

Intel Pentium III 356 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 325 MB, Free - 136 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2003, 08:42:46 am »

Test File Properties Editing Scenario #3: The previous result made curious what happens when ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags contain different data.

1. Import a file into MC.  In the format display, all tags display correctly. Notice that Name, Artist, and Album are different in V1 than V2:

MPEG-1 Layer 3
192 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Stereo

Name: Acknowledgement T1
  Artist: John Coltrane T1
  Album: Love Supreme T1
  Comment:

MC populated the database with the data from the V2 tag with same problems I listed in test scenario #1.  This means that you give priority to the V2 tags, which is good.

Test #3: I edit the properties and change the &#8220;Styles&#8221; field (a custom field) from &#8220;new styles&#8221; to &#8220;third try&#8221;.  MC writes the tag.  Now the format looks like the following

MPEG-1 Layer 3
192 Kbit CBR
44.1 Khz Stereo

ID3v2 Tag: (4126 bytes)
 COMM (Styles): third try

Problem #7:  Notice that the ID3V1 tag was completely changed. All data lost. I suppose we could debate whether or not this is truly a problem. But must tag editor programs allow users to edit V21 and V2 tags separately. There are cases where someone would want them tags to be different.

Observation: If I edit a file property, MC completely rewrites the entire tag rather than changing only the field that was edited. I&#8217;m sure your code is simpler this way. But it seems to cause problems.

Intel Pentium III 76 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 325 MB, Free - 136 MB

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2003, 10:36:49 am »

When rip+encoding when a track is finished my mouse pointer freezes for a second or few seconds, I guess that is when the filename is being written and temp file being deleted(?), etc.  I'm a power user and don't see that behavior with any other app.  

Never mind for some reason that problem seems to have gone away.

dougc

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2003, 11:36:55 am »

-Right click context menus no longer allows actions to be selected with a second right click.  You have to left click to get an action to take place.  This is different than the way context menus work everywhere else in Windows.

-The top menu items of the right click menu in the track list should not be constantly changing (even bringing up About or System Info shuffles it).  This is unusable.   At least Play and Add to Playing Now should be locked at the top of that menu as I believe they were in previous versions.

-The volume control slider manipulates the system default sound device even though the current output zone is using a secondary sound device.  I and others have repeatedly reported this problem with no acknowledgment.  If it's not going to be fixed please let us know and we'll stop wasting keystrokes on it.

Intel Pentium 4 1992 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 359 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max

Burning /  Drive G:          RW-201040          Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:20  MaxSpeed:20  Use MJ Engine:Yes

MachineHead

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2003, 12:48:01 pm »

Ripping a cd shows 'old' blue icon in the taskbar.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2003, 01:09:55 pm »

When burning:
Having "Decode directly to CD" selected results in inaccurate track splitting. Not a problem when it's NOT checked.
At the end of any burn with "eject CD" selected, the burn goes well and the CD ejects but MC then crashes with a CDWriter.ocx error.

Download Manager:
Having "Import Downloaded" selected, it still doesn't happen. The KB/S meter works as far as the number goes but the colored indicator doesn't move.

Convert:
I still can't rip or convert from/to anything but ape and wav. I haven't tried to convert from MP3 to ape or wav but I assume it works because I can burn CD's from MP3's.
As no one else has this problem, it must be my machine.

These are last-minute reminders of trivialities only --- On With the Show!

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2003, 01:16:48 pm »

New bug in 9.0.137:
File Properties ... on a folder  in the Media Library doesn't show the File Info for multiple files anymore. This is preventing setting file properties for multiple files in the Media Library.
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2003, 01:31:27 pm »

When ripping and YADB does not find a cd in its db:

After filling out the artist/track, etc, info and successfully submitting it, a dialog appears saying the cd could not be found in the YADB db; but, an immediate "Update from CD Database" does find it.

FrankL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2003, 01:53:44 pm »

For image files the MJMD Tag does not survive when edited in Adobe Photoshop.  Adobe Photoshop just deletes the MJMD Tag.  

Maybe the MJMD Tag could be altered in some way to look like a EXIF Tag so that Photoshop does not delete it.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2003, 02:32:06 pm »

The del key doesn't seem to work to remove files from the library or playlists.
Toast goes in the toaster.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2003, 03:38:29 pm »

Maybe it's just me but burning a CD eats up nearly all of my CPU, an issue that exists only in MC.

AMD Athlon 1730 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 681 MB

Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
Toast goes in the toaster.

Spiffy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2003, 09:21:17 pm »

UPDATED: I removed the Q815411 patch that was supposed to fix the problem in Windows XP SP1 about applications slowing down due to poor allocation of memory and everything is now working just fine again. You guys might want to keep an eye out for anyone running this patch.

When any MPC is playing, any action such a pull down menu, selecting another song, or other action immediately causes MC to die.

Media Center Registered 9.0.137 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Intel Pentium III 191 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 129 MB

Burning /  Drive D: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R2002   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes

michel

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2003, 10:06:07 pm »

Importing XML file (.mpl) with ISO-Latin characters results in wrong characters into the library (é instead of é for example).

nila

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2003, 01:48:26 am »

Dougc,
The right click menu has it's 3 top items adjusting to the last 3 commands used. Each time you use a command it remembers which you used last and saves it to the top of the menu. It's similar to the Windows XP start menu where it remembers the last used programs.

If you are doing a lot of tagging this means that your tagging tools will be one click away - great. If your going through your songs playing them as you seem to be, then it will remember this and show the 3 play commands you used most at the top so they're where you want them.
It means it's adapting to whatever task your doing so that that task is easier and faster. It's amazing once you get used to it.

BUG
  • 'Sticky' items in the right click menu aren't descriptive enough (ie. if I use 'Cover Art>get from internet' it just says: 'Get From Internet' at the top of this menu - it needs to say: 'Cover Art - Get From Internet' so that we know what it means. Yesterday at the top it just said 'Automatic' and I have no idea what operation I had done to make it say that).

michel

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2003, 02:29:15 am »

Cover Art is not displayed through Media Server neither in 'playing now' view neither in 'media library' view.

May be it is not a bug but I ask because somebody reported here many weeks ago it could display cover art through Media Server.

michel

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2003, 02:33:29 am »

After to "play" a set of images (slideshow), to play audio runs both the previous slideshow and the songs (simultaneously).

(I do 'play', no 'add to playing now'). I experimented that through Media Server but it is probably the same behaviour without it.

michel

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2003, 02:39:31 am »

It seems that the "progress" windows of a tag operation closes too soon as you have to wait a few seconds to take the control again (i.e. a mouse click has no immediate effect, you have to wait about 4 sec after the "progress" windows closed).

It is not a big bug but it is perturbating as that gives you the impression the software is not responsive and slow.

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
I still cant rip or play cd's
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2003, 03:40:48 am »

AMD Athlon 1484 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 256 MB

Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929)wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max

Burning /  Drive E: SONY     CD-RW  CRX195E1    Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
So much music so little time!

ZRocker

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2003, 04:04:27 am »

The MC tray icon looks terrible compared to to the other new MC small icons:

Tray (10x) =    ---   Taskbar (10x) =

LisaRCT

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2003, 04:20:33 am »

1- Hot keys not working during library management (Ctrl-A, F2, Del, etc)

2- When selecting "Raname files from properties" or "Clean file properties", getting messages "Failed to update the floolwing files" for many of the files (they are not in use or any other apparent reason)

3- When Deleting a file, can my selection of 'delete to recycle bin' remain my deafult selection for next time this function is used?

BTW, I like the new icon MUCH better   ;)

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2003, 04:55:33 am »

right-click rating:
-------------------------
If you right-click in the area with the player controls to change the rating of the currently playing file you actually change the rating of the file that is selected in the playlist area and not the one that is playing.

question: smartlist and playlistid
--------------------------

I have several smartlists that are based on master-smartlists. It's not possible to figure out on which master-playlist your smartlist is based if you only get a numerical value for the playlistid like:

playlistid==942501229 [Composer]=[instrumental] [Genre]=[Hard Rock],[Instrumental Rock] ~sort=Random ~t=74

Can this be changed back to displaying the playlist name?

Agilityman

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2003, 04:55:59 am »

Bugs:  Still could not get mp4 audio files to play.
Also, TV Tuner no longer worked -- got "Failed to play TV (unkown error)" error message.

LisaRCT

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2003, 07:00:34 am »

Question/proposal/idea ( extra work - LOL ):

When viewing the Track Info windows, the lovely new MediaCenter Icon is displayed . . .  any way to make it 'active' so you can control player functions right on that icon??
Even better, an 'active-control icon' for the desktop.
::)

sstrick

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2003, 07:03:24 am »

When changing tags on a large number of files, a warning dialog box pops up stating that this could take a long time and can not be canceled. The OK button on that dialog box until you take the focus off media center and refocus.

Agilityman

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Media Center 9.0.137 beta (TV Tuner failure)
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2003, 09:07:16 am »

Some more details on failure of TV tuner to work in MC 90137.

OS -- Win XP SP1, all updates as of Mar 30
Video Card/Tuner:  ATI AIW 8500DV
ATI Drivers:  Catalysts 3.0, MMC 7.0.0.1
CPU: Celeron 1.4GHz  440BX
MB: Tabor 440BX (PowerLeap Slocket adapter)
RAM: 384 MB

TV Tuner works fine with ATI's MMC software, just get failure to play error on MC 9.0137.

With same Video/TV card, hardware and software, Tuner had previously worked with MC 9.0124.  Stopped working with upgrade to MC 9.0137.

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2003, 10:22:58 am »

same bug as Cmagic...

"problem with 9.0137 so far :  
- Can't use CD playback and ripping (gave details to JohnT) "

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 541 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 66 MB

Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav

Burning /  Drive D: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4824A   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Use MJ Engine:Yes

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2003, 06:25:00 pm »

Search : MC is back to displaying Playlist ID's instead of the playlist names.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up