INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED - JRemote for iPad Connection Issue  (Read 3513 times)

anonymous

• Recent member
SOLVED - JRemote for iPad Connection Issue
« on: February 09, 2022, 04:14:18 pm »

Setting up a new computer with Debian 11 I found I wasn’t able to connect to JRiver MC27 with JRemote (… Found 2 addresses … [both] Timed out…). I use JRemote only as a remote from within my home network(s) on normally headless computer(s). After some Debian troubleshooting I checked two other music servers that each run Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and they were each working with JRemote using a dedicated device, but no longer.

Re-installing JRemote on one of the iPads, opening 52199 ports (never needed to on Ubuntu before), reinstalling JRiver, resetting access code, etc. and still no go. (When testing JRemote & JRiver are on the same WiFi networks). It certainly looks like a firewall issue from the error, but that wouldn’t explain the failure across multiple devices or operating systems.

I did check the router too, running ASUSWRT Merlin 386.4, but it isn’t supposed to be blocking ports and there is no logging of a related port block in the log file.

No doubt the same connection issue impacts all. Any thoughts?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote for iPad Connection Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 12:51:58 pm »

Look at the IP addresses on the log JRemote shows when it fails to connect.
See if they match your server IP.
If not, try testing the key (under Media Network settings in MC).
If the address is correct and you are on the same LAN as the server, it really has to be a firewall issue on the server.
One more thing, check the Media Network Log under Services on the MC server to see if there any clues there.

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 04:44:34 pm »

Thank you for the feedback.

Yes, it is identifying the correct ip address of the server.

Yes, they are on the same network.

It does not work even when the firewall on the server is disabled.

The JRemote log doesn't provide insight (Response Status=OK). I don't see a Media Network log under Services. Where might I find it on Linux MC27?

I have tried Ubuntu/Debian on the NUCs on iPad/Android running JRemote, even switching the network they were on (Guest Network 1 to Guest Network 2 on both 2.4 and 5Ghz. And on the main network too.) Same result.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 04:52:21 pm »

Did you try Panel?

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 05:03:53 pm »

Yes, but Panel does not connect. This implies a firewall issue, but disabling the firewall on the Ubuntu or Debian system does still not connect, using JRemote on either an iPad or Android device. I just did a factory reset of my router in case the firmware was corrupted, but same result.

I'm open to suggestions!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 05:59:37 pm »

VPN?
You can't use JRemote with a VPN enabled.

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 06:09:52 pm »

VPN isn't used on these systems.

How may I find the "Media Network log"? It's not listed under "Services" on the MC Linux server.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 06:10:20 pm »

VPN?
You can't use JRemote with a VPN enabled.
VPN enabled on the iDevice.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 06:13:46 pm »

VPN isn't used on these systems.

How may I find the "Media Network log"? It's not listed under "Services" on the MC Linux server.
In the left tree
Services & Plugins
Media Network
You can select the library server to get the least noise for what you are looking for and you can check the status to see if the servers are running properly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 06:18:42 pm »

Yes, but Panel does not connect. This implies a firewall issue, but disabling the firewall on the Ubuntu or Debian system does still not connect, using JRemote on either an iPad or Android device. I just did a factory reset of my router in case the firmware was corrupted, but same result.
Panel is a pretty simple test.  Is Media Network running (checked in options).

A port can be blocked on either device, not just the server.

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 06:32:33 pm »

Thank you. Watched the Network log and nothing when trying to reach it via JRemote. I disabled the firewall (sudo ufw disable) and still nothing.

VPN is not used on any component (Debian pc, Ubuntu pc, iPad, nor Android device).

Yes, Media Network is running.

Odd that it has worked so well across so many systems for years (!) and now they're all nonresponsive.

Given that I'm using it only with my local network would the firewall matter?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 08:19:14 am »

Thank you. Watched the Network log and nothing when trying to reach it via JRemote. I disabled the firewall (sudo ufw disable) and still nothing.

VPN is not used on any component (Debian pc, Ubuntu pc, iPad, nor Android device).

Yes, Media Network is running.

Odd that it has worked so well across so many systems for years (!) and now they're all nonresponsive.

Given that I'm using it only with my local network would the firewall matter?
Yes, a firewall would still matter.
Try making a new server on the iPad for your PC using just the IP address, not the access code.
Check the Media Network monitor in MC again.

I assume when you checked that it said "all servers running?"

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 09:59:45 am »

Thank you again for your help.

Using an ip address doesn't work either and no mention in the Media Network when trying to access with JRemote (the Media Network says all 4 servers are running well).

Using JRemote on iPad or Android it will immediately note if the access code is incorrect, so they're communicating at some point.

When using the correct access code on the iPad it says <Response Status="OK"> and on the Android it says "Could not connect (failed to connect to / 192.168.102.10 (port 52199) from / 192.168.102.78 (port 44452) after 5000ms : isConnected failed: EHOSTUNREACH (No route to host)

Perhaps that may help?

I do know that ASUS has changed their WiFi network router setup to better use AI Mesh (I do not use AI Mesh). JRemote was working on a 384 code base, but not the newer 386 since I rebooted the pc. Don't know if that is related, but if another mentions it ...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 11:26:18 am »

Thank you again for your help.

Using an ip address doesn't work either and no mention in the Media Network when trying to access with JRemote (the Media Network says all 4 servers are running well).

Using JRemote on iPad or Android it will immediately note if the access code is incorrect, so they're communicating at some point.

When using the correct access code on the iPad it says <Response Status="OK"> and on the Android it says "Could not connect (failed to connect to / 192.168.102.10 (port 52199) from / 192.168.102.78 (port 44452) after 5000ms : isConnected failed: EHOSTUNREACH (No route to host)

Perhaps that may help?

I do know that ASUS has changed their WiFi network router setup to better use AI Mesh (I do not use AI Mesh). JRemote was working on a 384 code base, but not the newer 386 since I rebooted the pc. Don't know if that is related, but if another mentions it ...
No route to host is bizarre.
Check you IPV4 address and NETMASK on the MC server.
If that's ok it sounds like your router would be suspect.

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 11:54:27 am »

I'm glad it sounds odd and not just me.

The IPV4 addresses are correctly identified (192.168.102.10 & .78).

The NETMASK (Resource) on the JRiver pc is 239.255.255.250:1900*

That looked odd, so I checked and the NETMASK on the iPad & Android for JRemote are both 255.255.255.0

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2022, 01:11:57 pm »

I'm glad it sounds odd and not just me.

The IPV4 addresses are correctly identified (192.168.102.10 & .78).

The NETMASK (Resource) on the JRiver pc is 239.255.255.250:1900*

That looked odd, so I checked and the NETMASK on the iPad & Android for JRemote are both 255.255.255.0
On windows, do
ipconfig
from a cmd window to see the netmask.
239.255.255.250:1900* is not a netmask, it's a listener for SSDP.

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 01:23:15 pm »

Thank you for the correction. It's the same - 255.255.255.0

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 04:02:26 pm »

Thank you for the correction. It's the same - 255.255.255.0
SSDP is multicast and so it starts with 239 so not the same.
Anyway, I'm out of ideas. I'd try a different router.

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 04:15:28 pm »

I do appreciate your help. Thank you.

Question: Over the past few years I loaded Ubuntu, JRiver, JRemote then entered an access key to get it all working on my internal network – no opening of ports or other actions required. (A friend of mine did just that last week on his system per my suggestion.) When I read some of the items I get the impression that JRiver server port 1900/52199 MUST be open externally. That doesn’t seem right, other than to enable outside local network usage. Is that accurate?

I've asked the router people and will let you know what they say. If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.

Thanks again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 04:55:01 pm »

Question: Over the past few years I loaded Ubuntu, JRiver, JRemote then entered an access key to get it all working on my internal network – no opening of ports or other actions required. (A friend of mine did just that last week on his system per my suggestion.) When I read some of the items I get the impression that JRiver server port 1900/52199 MUST be open externally. That doesn’t seem right, other than to enable outside local network usage. Is that accurate?
That's correct. You only need to open externally if that the route you are coming from and since you are on the same lan that should not be the case.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 05:11:29 pm »

Port 1900 is for SSDP.  That's used locally.

52199 is for outside access and should not normally be blocked within your LAN.

The wiki topic called Network Access covers this.

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2022, 09:20:56 am »

May I please ask another question?

If I open JRiver server and navigate to Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Panel -> Open with web browser
I find the web browser opens in Panel properly.

Since I can’t connect with an iPad or Android device on the same network using JRemote, nor on their web browser, does this mean that the JRiver server can connect over [an open local] port 52199, but that external devices cannot? That info may help narrow the communication blockage.

anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2022, 11:54:06 am »

Progress! but ...

Tried "Access Intranet" on the router before i did a full factory reset, but that didn't work. Tried again after a factory reset and it still wouldn't work. Disabled the server firewall (ufw disable) and it connected properly without issue. Yea! But I have to have a firewall, so I set it back (UFW enable) and opened just the port (ufw allow 52199/tcp). It connects, but the cover art is not shown under albums/artist.etc. When playing a file the cover art does appear in the lower left corner of JRemote, but no where else. I reloaded JRemote and tried a different acess key, but still no cover art. What do you suggest to fix the cover art display(s)?

EDIT: After 20 minutes JRemote said "server reset" and all back to normal. Yippee!

Bmwheeler1

• Recent member
Re: SOLVED - JRemote for iPad Connection Issue
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2022, 07:42:47 am »

I ran into this problem after upgrading to MC version 29.  My iPhone was able to connect over my local network as usual, no issue.  However when I tried with my iPad my JRemote would not connect, I was getting timeout error messages.

After reading this thread I decided to open port 52199 on my router. Voila! Eureka! Now my iPad can connect with my MC version 29 using the JRemote 3.36 app.

It’s just strange as hell that my iPhone did not need me to open the 52199 port on my router, but the iPad did.  All this only happened after I upgraded to MC version 29.

Definitely a strange situation.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2022, 09:07:42 am »

When JRemote doesn't connect it posts a log of how it tried to connect.
That's really useful debugging connection issues.
If you get a connection error, screen shot that log and post it here.

Bmwheeler1

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2022, 12:04:12 pm »

I turned off port forwarding for port 52199 in order to duplicate the connection issue while I’m within my Wi-Fi network.  Attached are 2 screenshots the encompass the error details.

Just occurred to me that I posted my ip and network information.  So I’m going to turn off my port forwarding so I don’t get hacked.  If you’re admin please remove my attachment if possible.  Thanks.

I removed the attached screen shot, but if you want the details e-mail me and I’ll will securely send encrypted.

Bmwheeler1

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2022, 09:24:56 am »

After a reboot of my network router, I received an alert that MC 29 was blocked by the firewall, would you like to allow access?  I clicked yes, and the problem is resolved.

Love this product, Thank you Rob for helping out. One seriously satisfied customer.

-Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up