INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "I am getting old"  (Read 18511 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "I am getting old"
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2022, 08:31:54 am »

I have a strange fondness for Stereo Wide that was on my 1980's boom box.... and the memories it evokes.

51 here and I agree totally. Stereo wide on my dad's (very small) Philips cassette player sounded terrific!

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2022, 12:58:23 pm »

67 here.  And I really think collecting music, tagging and creating playlists (not to mention listening)...  keeps my CRS under control.  I personally know a couple 30 somethings who use MC, but I guess they're not forum types.

chilibean

• Recent member
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2022, 02:30:17 pm »

65 here.  Came over for MC 21 when MS dropped their windows media center.  Came for the television, stayed for the music/movies.  Well, ok, the television is still awesome.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2022, 09:41:08 am »

Well... here goes nothing  ::)
I'm 86  ;D.

My first JR device was Media JukeBox 7.

My first paid version was Media Center 9 (Nov-2-2002).

Upgrades back then were only $10.00  :o

Have bought every version since.

Have had a Love - Hate relationship with MC all these years (Love it for the audio but the TV drives me nuts sometimes).

Anyway, I'm a committed long-time user.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

jimwallen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2022, 08:22:39 pm »

I'm 69. What looked at first like a lame post thread is quite surprising and thought provoking. I figured all of you were less than 30 and using the intricacies of MC was second nature to you!

Now, I'm blending in my head this thread and the Why Did You Buy JRiver? The age demographics are interesting now in that most of us are older, grew up with the same music and stereo equipment.

One of the many reasons I bought JRiver is the depth and complexity of it, while at the same time I was beginning to explore in depth digital music. JRiver gave me the ability to tweak my settings, DSP, etc, and forced me to gladly research all things digital and audio.

Very interesting. Our age and our choice of JRiver is much more intertwined than I would ever have guessed.

-jim

MikeO3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2022, 07:46:15 pm »

Seems I am in the demographic zone as many of you as well... Turning 58 this year and been playing ripping apart electronics since 7-8 as mom used to work at a film studio in the sound dept. Cigarette smoked out million track button Ward-Beck consoles used to smell so nice! :)

After reading many or the posts, I can see that a more discerning demographic are using and expecting reliable software to render quality results. The team here at JRiver listen and frankly deliver a product tailored after feedback from a group of astute users. I piece together all my hardware equipment carefully and love that I can tailor 1 piece of software as the control plane.

Listening to music has always been part of my life and favourite friend for the all years I spent on planes, trains & automobiles. Started to use JRiver to sync my Walkwan when Sony dropped their GoSync or whatever it was. Been managing my entire with it library ever since!

jabo1961

• Recent member
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2022, 02:31:31 am »

Well , I turned 60 last August , don't post much but I'm an avid reader of all that goes on. Started using MC at version 14 and I simply love it firstly for the organizing of my music collection  ,the sound quality  second to none and then videos and now blurays , I don't intend to get into 4K . I too thought the age demographic would be more on the younger side so I'm pleasantly surprised to see the opposite . I don't and never have used MC for TV , very little on TV for me these days , I tend to watch stuff on youtube more than ever when I'm not working.  I've always loved technology and like many of you you I've seen the massive development and changes in electronics from the early 70's thru to early video games , mobile phones , computers and then the internet came along and changed everything , not always for the better but I certainly couldn't imagine life without it now .

Knick

• Recent member
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2022, 02:44:42 pm »

68 this year!  Hendrix and Cream in my earliest concert attendance list, but now appreciating Oscar Peterson, Ella, Louis Armstrong, Sinatra more and more.

Run MC29 through an AWOW Windows 10 mini PC out through a Dragonfly DAC.  Switching everything I can to HD as I find it, and push out to my 30 year old Bryston amp and same era,very early NHT speakers.  Use JRemote2 on an LGV60 to control it.  Just absolutely love it.  All my music, at my fingertips.

Playlists for every artist, period, season, occasion, city, live or not, etc.  NHT's gotta go and replace with KEF LS50's one of these days. 

Always get a kick out of people (especially young people) who are amazed by what can be done with MC, but don't understand why it is better than Spotify, LP's or MP3's.  Have thousands of hours wrapped up in digitizing, finding new content and making interesting playlists.  Movies this year now that I have discovered David Lean movies.

Thanks to everyone at JRiver for building such a fine product.  All the better cause this oldster can explain to young whippersnappers why it sounds better than their way.

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2022, 05:47:45 pm »

30 year olds have earbuds and a phone for both music and video and stream everything. Amazon and Spotify and Apple Music are their JRiver.  The paradigm has changed.

Im 26, so... there are some.

Not some marketing genius, however I do think that you might have some more younger people if your website / forum did not look like it was made 20 years ago (to the extend that it´s possible to attract those younger people). There are certainly younger people who are annoyed by market segregation and/or want better quality. The problem is just that to get the creature comforts services like spotify give you (can play from any device, anywhere), here is some for most people not very graspable setup involved.

AllanM

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2022, 07:01:41 pm »

I had an interesting conversation with a 20ish bloke who loves his vinyl and wants to also build a tube amp because it "sounds better".  What it boiled down to was a "nostalgic" factor that gave him this pleasure, rather than "quality".  Jim, you should add a DSP setting to add pop, wow, flutter, and other analogue distortion but call it something trendy like "Digital to Analogue Warmth"
https://babyaud.io/taip-plugin

Oh, I'm somewhere between 58 and 59.
--
Mostly a headphone guy. I use JRiver exclusively for music.

infomas

• Recent member
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2022, 07:02:14 pm »

I went on Medicare last year (for those of you not in the U.S. that means I turned 65 last year).

I'm not a real long term JRiver user, but I think I bought my first copy in 2015. If there was an ATV app, my life would be complete.

Been writing programs for money (not always a lot of money) since 1979. Have done my share of computer building and network installs as well. I used to say that I got into the PC business before IBM and outlasted them. :-)

My oldest piece of audio equipment is a 1979 B&O turntable. I still fire it up on occasion.

When I was young and worked for other people, I was always the youngest person in the office (except for the receptionist who was always a 19 year old blond). One day I looked around the office at the company that I was a founder of and realized that I was the oldest person in the building. That was the day I knew I was old. I now live in a 55 and over community and am one of the youngest people playing tennis. I feel young again. :-)

xluorp

• Recent member
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2022, 08:41:44 pm »

74 here (I think)
I’ve used JRiver since the beginning. Ripped all my CD’s to .ape. Seemed the best at the time. Later realized .ape would not play on iPods.  No problem, JRiver converted all to .aiff.

SomeOneWho

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2022, 11:33:50 pm »

64 here.  Started with Media Jukebox 6, as best I can recall.  Started programming with FORTRAN in '75.

Two of my favorite quotes:

"One of the greatest surprises in life is old age" - Leo Tolstoy

"Old age is not for sissies" - Bette Davis

t.mauery

• Recent member
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2022, 10:18:42 am »

Turned 48 a month ago.  Doesn't seem so old any more.

Grew up with vinyl, but couldn't stand all the "fussiness" of cleaning and needle drop and all. Wandered through tapes and CDs. After ripping my collection, finally made the jump to digital not too long ago with MC24. I love the control it gives me.

We learned C++ in school, but everything at my first job was written in Fortran.  I still code in Fortran, even when using python.  ;D
Emotiva XSP-1 Gen2 | Parasound Halo A23 | Schiit Gungnir Multi-bit | Tascam CD-240
RaspPi 4B 8GB | Allo DigiOne Signature | JRiver Media Center 26
Salk Silk AT | SVS SB13 Ultra

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2022, 06:58:30 pm »

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2022, 08:45:41 pm »

I forgot how to use the MID Rule

I had to go back to the MC11 forum to see how I explained it back then.

Path Rule: Mid([Artist], 0, 1)

I started before Media Center, with Media Jukebox 6

Media Center is the best out there.

Holy Smokes - I'm so glad to see you are still here King Sparta.  Don't know how many others have been here since Media Jukebox. Wow.
I just turned 50 something, I don't know, born in '65, so whatever it is. Stopped counting at 40.
Love Matt's answer though: always better than the alternative!
Jim, I still remember that concert you organized in Minneapolis with a band from NY? That was to celebrate some MJ or MC anniversary. Do you remember which?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Norman24

• Recent member
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2022, 03:55:33 pm »

67 in July..

ths61

• World Citizen
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2022, 07:48:52 pm »

I think they made a movie depicting MC's user base:

I love the Walter Matthau line when he was hitting on a young blonde hottie.

"...  I immediately recognized that when we first met I stirred deep seated emotion in you.  I understand that was disgust, but I can build on that ..."
Main - JRMC31 -> custom ALSA_cdsp -> CamillaDSP(2x8 channel 64-bit FIR convolution) -> 8 channel DAC
Office - JRMC31 -> Asus Xonar Essence STX -> W4S STI-1000 -> Mini-Magnepans
Shop - JRMC31 -> W4S MicroDAC -> Adcom GFA-2535 -> B&W Rock Solid

StealYourFace626

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2022, 12:18:32 am »

I think the main culprit is likely streaming services. Most under 30s aren’t ripping CDs or maintaining digital media libraries.

I’m 31. Been using JRiver for a few years. I also use Roon, switching between the two intermittently. Tidal and foobar2000 on my work laptop.

GrahamG

• Recent member
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2022, 01:58:03 am »

58. I'VE BEEN WORKING WITH COMPUTERS SINCE THE EARLY 80S and still occasionally leave caps lock on.

carlos09

• Recent member
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2022, 03:08:10 am »

Hello all fresh men and women.
I am 69 and feel young and alive. Media center is a monument, old and and so young, clever, smart in this features allways up to today's needs and possibilities.
Thanks to you OLD guys ;)

Badotz

« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2022, 06:44:45 am »

I've been writing code since I became self-aware (sometime in the early 1970's). I proudly wear a T-shirt that states, "I turned x0010 0011 Twice!"

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2022, 08:33:40 am »

83 in a few weeks, and I go back to at least Media Jukebox 8, probably even earlier.  (Memory fails me in this and hundreds of other ways.) Nice to see King Sparta and a couple of other familiar names still around. I’m in pretty good shape, all things considered, still go to the gym 4-5 days a week, almost as much for the company of other gym rats as for actual workouts.

I got into digitizing media in the early Napster days, have pursued it ever since. Very large library, likely 80-85% lossless. I’m a JRiver junky, keep lobbying for a larger search window to compensate for my increasingly-funky vision. I’m agnostic on digitized vs acoustic sound quality, but at this age I’m smart enough not to rely any further on my own hearing.

I don’t have a technical background, seldom post except to ask for help with insoluble problems, but enjoy following the threads for their self educational contributions.

The Muffin Man

• Junior Woodchuck
  • More music
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2022, 08:56:11 am »

53 here.
My first copy of Mediajukebox was version 9 where ogg and ape were the defaults and you had to pay for an mp3 encoder or use LAME. I admit that I didn't purchase every release since then, but when COVID hit, they were nice enough to let me dust off my old license and offer me an upgrade price for the version I had. I've bought the master licenses for 27, 28, and 29.
For me, it's an outstanding product and I figure that I'd rather spend money with them rather than being "spied on" by any of the "free" products out there.
 “if something is free, you’re the product”. -Richard Serra, 1973

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2022, 06:22:46 pm »

55 years old and been on since MC20 I think.

Love the tinkering aspect of JriverMC, I guess its the Grumpy Old Man in me pushing back against streaming services but being able to tweak and rearrange and manage my library and the data in it to my own design is great fun. T-Rex doesn't want to be fed...T-rex wants to hunt.

Digging around and playing with metadata, playlists and streaming options about the place and having great audio quality a result is very satisfying and makes me feel young and important.

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2022, 04:45:12 am »

I neglected to state a couple of reasons why I stick with MC besides inertia. There's always something new.

Historically, I've heavily relied on the server function for remote access while working out or traveling. Once I figured out the anti-virus and port forwarding challenges (thanks Awesome Donkey), its worked like a dream.

More recently, the ability to share files from my library has been a very helpful. Instead of relying on my diminished capacity to articulate my like for (say) Miles Davis and Blue Moods, I can share the file. Res ipse loquitur.

Edit: 'Res', not 'Re'.

messida

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2022, 05:45:05 am »

Started programming in 1968 on an IBM 360/20. The only languages it supported were RPG and Assembler, so I started with the latter. First big project: get the line printer to print an entire line at intervals that would cause the printer to rock back and forth and (I hoped) fall over. No success. An eye opener when, a year later, I had the opportunity to work on a GE 600, which (as I dimly recall) had an Assembler that was so much more compact and elegant than the IBM Assembler.

Inquisition

• World Citizen
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2022, 05:09:36 pm »

50 in  4 Weeks and here since V20 if im not wrong.

Learned industrial electrician, i work now as measurement and control technician in the glass production.
My English is not perfect, so be merciful with me

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2022, 07:52:20 pm »

I'm 49 and have been an MC user since version 15, I think. Unlike most everyone else on here, I'm not coming from the programming or technical world but am instead a college-level English teacher, with a background in poetry writing (MFA from a top program in the US), even if I did start in programming (one semester, then over to English; I still feel the pain in my pocketbook from that young man's decision).

I came to MC (from iTunes and then Media Monkey) initially for the great tagging capabilities for my huge audio (over 700,00 files) and video (over 11,700 files) library, but later for the great playback options: media network via JRemote/M40 Media and client/server set-ups, audio DSP, and MadVR/JRVR, not to mention all the metadata-based ways of viewing and interacting with my library. I've tried Roon a few times, and though I love its eye candy and integration with (especially) AllMusic, I always come back to JRiver after the demo is over, not least because of MC's video capabilities, as I like having everything in one media CENTER.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2022, 05:02:16 pm »

50 (soon enough 51)

Been writing code since my first computer - an Atari 800XL in early 1980s, though I now manage global development teams who write code (took the "dark path" somewhere back in my career).  most recently I've been writing some Python to parse the media center library (as XML) to feed scripts in windows batch files to mkvtoolsnix for extracting/packaging video files from particles referencing mpls files into MKVs for other video playback devices where I have specific needs that MC doesn't cover (yet).

Can't remember the first version of MC I started with, maybe somewhere in v15 or v16. 
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

maid

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2022, 01:11:35 am »

I am 69  70 this month
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2022, 02:58:04 am »

110011  ;D

Craig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2022, 08:55:00 am »

Going back to much earlier in this thread i.e.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132040.msg915395.html#msg915395

I present my evidence  ;D
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2022, 10:07:17 am »

Holy Cow!  Congratulations, Craig!

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2022, 10:08:23 am »

Outstanding !!!
A true feat of strength.  :)
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

Craig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2022, 08:46:25 am »

Holy Cow!  Congratulations, Craig!
Outstanding !!!
A true feat of strength.  :)

Thanks guys.
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

proton32060

• Recent member
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2022, 04:25:45 pm »

I am a 64 year old Doctor who has used JRiver for I think at least 10 years.
I assumed most people using JRiver were young people.
I may have to re-evaluate that assumption!

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2022, 05:41:19 pm »

I am a 64 year old Doctor who has used JRiver for I think at least 10 years.
I assumed most people using JRiver were young people.
I may have to re-evaluate that assumption!
There's nothing to "re-evaluate".  MC's user base is unequivocally a bunch of old geezers!  (That includes me at 62)

eve

« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2022, 06:16:58 pm »

Late 20s here, been using JRiver for... jeeze, maybe a decade and a half now?
It was my gateway drug into digital media after my needs rapidly outgrew what iTunes could offer or handle from a scale and complexity perspective.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2022, 06:24:39 pm »

Wait a minute now… You're both young AND female?  Are you sure you're not lost?! :o

eve

« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2022, 06:35:07 pm »

Wait a minute now… You're both young AND female?  Are you sure you're not lost?! :o

Look, I don't know why I always end up on forums with old dudes talking shop about audio and video presentation but that's where my interests lead me.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2022, 06:39:19 pm »

No mystery… us "old dudes" are pretty irresistible!

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2022, 04:54:28 am »

54!

I grew up in a time where a single press of one of many buttons started something meaningful. Today in the age of so called one-touch interfaces I spend my time morsing my request using one or two buttons...  Yes! Sometimes I feel old!

SAK

« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2022, 07:10:56 pm »

As a "legacy" computer programmer (1968 - take that!) in octal I'm 112.

jdpalmer1

« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2022, 02:30:34 pm »

Well, my driver's license says I'm 60 but my inner goofball says I'm about 23.

Doug Wickstrom

• Recent member
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2022, 03:02:50 pm »

74 here and now. Discovered music as a teenager and the equipment as the way to get to it. Chrystal radios then Heathkit! Have to say that JRiver brings back the fun by access to the magic of digital music. I am enjoying my old hobby more than ever!

Cicero

« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2022, 12:42:58 pm »

Perspective: My grandfather was born only 15 years after the last Lewis and Clark Expedition member died (Patrick Gass - 1870). Pops graduated from college before the Wright brothers flew and lived on 16 years after Armstrong landed on the moon. Looking over that span I don't feel terribly old.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2022, 04:03:56 pm »

This thread was fascinating.

It explains so much about what I'd suspected for so long - that the userbase is composed almost entirely of erstwhile teenage nerds of the 60's-80's instead of the 2000s

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2022, 04:50:30 pm »

Rub it in.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2022, 02:43:56 pm »

Rub it in.