INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Spotlight  (Read 28129 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NEW: Spotlight
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2022, 07:11:12 pm »

please make an option to disable that Spotlight button ! i don't use those links, always disable them, but can't disable Spotlight and it annoys me.
If we do that, it won't be soon.  In the meantime, please be patient, try it from time to time, and let us know how it can be improved.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2022, 07:16:14 pm »

In the meantime, please be patient, try it from time to time, and let us know how it can be improved.

The button for it could be made theme-able (if it isn't already).  It's a bit bright on the Modern Cards: Dark Legacy Edition theme.

The page itself could also blend more with the chosen skin (i.e., darker gray background if the selected skin is predominantly a dark one).

Otherwise, looks intriguing!

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2022, 01:10:29 am »

On the last version, it says "1. NEW: Albums and Similar Artists thumbnails on Spotlight.". But on my spotlight it is only albums and similar artists as a name and nothing else. Is something wrong on my part or is still not implemented?

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2022, 05:40:55 am »

I like Spotlight so far, but I'd like to see the button in Mini View mode. Just to the right of the thumbnail seems like a logical place. Of course you'd lose Mini View while Spotlight is displayed, but it could be restored on exit.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2022, 06:48:43 am »

Coming on nicely. Issues/wishes thus far:

• In the battle for space on the tab bar between tabs, links and Spotlight button, Spotlight loses and disappears from view when space gets tight.
  • Need a way to have this open in a new tab, please.
  • Artist albums appear to be shown in a random order. Would be good to have them sorted by release date.
  • View an artist such as Bob Dylan who has decades of albums, I would prefer not to have to scroll sideways to see those albums. Could the grid be built such that horizontal scrolling is not required?

-marko

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2022, 07:21:24 am »

On the last version, it says "1. NEW: Albums and Similar Artists thumbnails on Spotlight.". But on my spotlight it is only albums and similar artists as a name and nothing else. Is something wrong on my part or is still not implemented?
This is only just now available in 29.0.31:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132713.0.html

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2022, 10:29:58 am »

Note that the Spotlight icon/button is currently part of the skin so it can be customized.  Also, the plan is to cache the Spotlight information so that you can show separate artists in separate tabs.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2022, 01:20:18 pm »

The presence of Spotlight in the Links menu should be optional, and its location adjustable.  Otherwise it can really feel like an intrusion to some.

For reasons unknown to me, Spotlight no longer appears at the top of my links, which is fine with me.  But if I wanted it back, I don't see a way to get it again within Links.

MC 29.0.31 Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

JimH

• Administrator

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2022, 02:03:58 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132717.msg919816.html#msg919816
At some earlier point, the Spotlight appeared both at the top of my long Links menu, and also in the tabs display of the links, in the presence of many tabs and the Links chevron.  Then Spotlight disappeared from these locations.  I know Spotlight is a work in progress, so I am not really concerned, just noting it.

Update: Found on a Win 10 PC:
MC 29.0.28 shows Spotlight at top of the Links menu and it appears in Standard View alongside crowded tabs.
Update to 29.0.31 --> Spotlight no longer appears in my Links list and it does not appear in Standard View alongside tabs.

This apparently confirms the release note: :-[
29.0.29 (4/5/2022)
8. Changed: Use separate button to show Spotlight Page (no longer uses web links).

rec head

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2022, 07:26:27 am »

Question: Am I supposed to be able to click on anything in Spotlight? Example similar artists show up but I can't click on them.

Suggestion: it would be nice if there was a way to discern what albums are in my library. Highlighted, bold etc.

Lastly thanks for this. TBH Spotlight has also introduced me to all the other links that I never use.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2022, 08:00:45 am »

Hopefully it will be more interactive soon.

rec head

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2022, 01:36:15 pm »

OK. I wasn't sure if I was missing something. I think it will be a nice addition.

A few more suggestions:
1) As I said having it made obvious which albums I own would be great. But then clicking on albums that I don't have could link to Amazon or another store I could set up. Similar to how clicking on the Amazon link now.

2) I would use Spotlight much more often in Theater View.

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2022, 03:45:02 am »

+1
I would use Spotlight much more often in Theater View.

+1
it would be nice if there was a way to discern what albums are in my library. Highlighted, bold etc.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2022, 08:52:20 pm »

Hey Mark,
In your post number 57, you have a screenshot of a links menu. How did you get that? I know MC will show a menu for the items there is no longer room for when things get squeezed to the right far enough (and then clicking on a tiny chevron), but yours just looks like a straight up menu.

I see how you can create the menu dividers using fake links in the manage links dialog, but how do you get the entire list to show? I tried putting in a fake link with a whole slew of spaces so everything gets pushed right. It kind of worked I guess, but it is a bit of an ugly workaround.

Or is the ability to show the links as a menu existing functionality that I have managed to miss over all these years? 

Nevermind… It is a straight up menu, just not from the links bar.  Right-clicking on a library item shows a context menu which has a sub menu for links - just like the one in your screenshot. I guess I just never noticed before and have never accessed links that way.  I was thinking you were getting that menu straight from the links bar itself. Which actually would be a nice option to have. One of the reasons I suggested in another thread that all those links be converted to Favicons was to save space. Another way would be to just have a button in the links bar itself that shows all the links as a list.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2022, 11:03:45 pm »

Nevermind… It is a straight up menu, just not from the links bar.  Right-clicking on a library item shows a context menu which has a sub menu for links - just like the one in your screenshot.
Yes.

I had quite the opposite experience from you:  I always used the library items' RMB Links menu, and just ignored all the "distractions" between the tabs and the album cover size slider.  I only discovered Links in the latter location after hunting for the Spotlight icon (which is no longer there :) ).  Then I made them more obvious by adding a labeled divider at the very top of the Links menu.   Also, Links/chevron/slider to the right of the tabs are sometimes completely hidden, depending on the number of tabs and width of the overall MC window.

BTW, clicking on one of those makeshift divider lines in the Links menu leads to a blank screen labeled "Loading...".  It would be nice if there was a more robust do-nothing response to labeled dividers, i.e. entries without a URL.
Feature request:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132772.0.html

mpffffhhhh

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2022, 06:32:19 am »

i have beth hart and i have joe bonamassa as album-artist.
spotlight shows them wonderful, but
i have also beth hart & joe bonamassa as album-artist, and i can't play that from spotlight. jriver means that i don't have this album, but i have it :-)
what do i not understand?

thanks for helping me out

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2022, 06:40:53 pm »

Spotlight in build 34 (now on this board) has some significant changes. 

Play anything, then click on the small yellow circle in the upper right corner.  SL loads a new page with a brief bio, albums, similar artists, and artist images. 

Click on an album to look it up on Wikipedia, or if it's in your library, click the play button to play it.

Clicking on a similar artist loads an SL page for that artist. 

A related change will load Playing Now if you click on the album thumbnail in the upper right corner of MC.  It's a handy way to jump to Playing Now.

mpffffhhhh

• Recent member
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2022, 05:23:56 am »

thanks, but that was clear. the problem ist with beth and joe as albumartist "beth and joe", and that is not showing that green thing. but sry, i have no idea how i can describe it in english :-(

spotlight is checking only album-artist, and
beth hart
joe bonamassa
beth hart & joe bonamassa
are 3 artists and beth hart & joe bonamassa are not showing.
sry for my poor words....

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2022, 06:00:15 am »

thanks, but that was clear. the problem ist with beth and joe as albumartist "beth and joe", and that is not showing that green thing. but sry, i have no idea how i can describe it in english :-(

spotlight is checking only album-artist, and
beth hart
joe bonamassa
beth hart & joe bonamassa
are 3 artists and beth hart & joe bonamassa are not showing.
sry for my poor words....

For some reason Wikipedia uses 2 variants for Artist1 + Artist2 Combinations - some of the time it uses "Artist1 & Artist2" at others it uses "Artist1 and Artist2"

Try changing beth hart & joe bonamassa to beth hart and joe bonamassa to see if that works
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2022, 11:54:56 am »

I understand what you are saying and will work on it.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2022, 11:46:27 pm »

This is great new functionality guys… much appreciated!

I see you have added the ability to control left click to open spotlight in its own tab. Any possibility you can make that a middle click instead? I basically try and navigate MC with my mouse only as much as possible, as I hate having a keyboard in my lap all the time. Middle clicking in that location does nothing at the moment, so it seems like it would be easy enough to implement.

The spotlight page light gray (maybe beige?) color background is a good choice as well, and looks like it is the standard background color now for all the previously pure white background pages (cloud play, streaming, services, drives, etc.). Since I only use a dark skin, switching to those pages previously was absolutely blinding. It is a bit better now, but if you want to make that background shade just a few clicks darker, you won't get any argument from me  ;D

While I'm on the subject… why don't all these "bright" pages simply use each skin's defined background for the color?  It would eliminate "brightness shock", and make the skin seamless while navigating among pages/tabs. I realize this means the Spotlight text color would have to be "smart" for each unique color background to remain readable (since all other text colors are set by each skin's main.xml file), but surely a bunch of smart guys like you can figure it out. I imagine the effort involved is significant which is probably why it hasn't been tackled yet, but this is one aesthetic of MC that has been lacking for a long time.

Oh well, just my two cents on what I think would make MC even that much better. Either way, Spotlight is looking awesome and I look forward to further updates.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Problems with less known groups
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2022, 09:22:55 am »

I understand that finding information like this for less popular groups can be a challenge, but I have found several problems where SL does not find the correct albums, About is incorrect and the Similar Artists are very different from the original. The best way to show this is with some examples.

The group Patchouli has about 15 albums several of which are on streaming services but they are not on Wikipedia. SL shows Albums but none of them are actually albums, they are mostly You Tube videos. And none of them have any name or date text. In addition, the About is for the herb not the group. Maybe this could be solved by requiring About to have some music words in it, like music, band, group, artist, etc.

Lui Collins is a singer songwriter with several articles and a Wikipedia entry. There is no About information for her, even though she is in Wikipedia.  Here the Albums are actually pictures of her, except for one Album and none of these are labelled. The one actual album, Made in New England, uses a different cover art than the album of the same name in my library. Maybe SL should be at least including the albums in my library and maybe the ones in YADB.  Duplicate covers for the same album would be fine if they were published that way. And J.R., the first Similar Artist, is a rock band and is not at all similar to her.

Christine Lavine is a pretty well know singer/songwriter, with some 30 albums. SL gets Similar Artists and About OK, but, once again, the Albums include pictures and none have any album names and dates.

So, some suggestions.

About should be scanned to see if it has anything to do with music.
Albums in your Library and in YADB should be included in the Albums list.
You Tube videos should not be included as Albums.  Since you are already scanning You Tube, maybe they become a separate category.
The sources for Albums need to be expanded.
Albums should always have Name and usually Date.

Again, less known artists are hard. But this needs some attention.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2022, 12:35:34 pm »

Following up on my own post a couple back regarding the background/text color for spotlight and other "bright" pages. Could things be set up as follows?

- add a new input section to the skin main.XML file specifically for these currently "un-skinnable" pages
- this new section's default settings would present everything as you have currently implemented
- but if a skin author chooses to do so, he now has the tools to modify the background and text color of those "bright" pages to something that matches the skin.

In addition, while the spotlight icon itself can be replaced by the user, it is located in the default resources folder. It would be a bonus if that could also be incorporated in this proposed new XML section where a skin author could easily modify it on a per skin basis.  I hope this is possible, and if so, that it gains traction with the developers.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2022, 12:36:31 pm »

Spotlight becoming very nice and useful. Thanks.

Have not read all of above so sorry if these suggestions have already been made.

1) Please sort albums by date.
2) Please wrap album thumbnails rather than requiring scrolling right to see all.
3) Current albums displayed are only studio and live. Please add separate group for compilation albums.
4) Please add spotlight section with clickable links for all Extras associated with the current album.
5) Clicking on artist image should display full resolution image.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2022, 12:41:20 pm »

6) If a Spotlight tab is open its contents should refresh to the currently playing now.
7) Detection of existing albums should be more tolerant of small differences. For example, AllMusic and Wikipedia disagree on whether a semicolon should be present in Otis Taylor's album "Hey Joe Opus: Red Meat".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2022, 01:26:45 pm »

6) If a Spotlight tab is open its contents should refresh to the currently playing now.
I thought the same at first, but what if you're using the page?  You wouldn't like it to disappear.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2022, 01:37:47 pm »

I thought the same at first, but what if you're using the page?  You wouldn't like it to disappear.
Good point. Maybe require a manual F5 refresh?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2022, 01:46:18 pm »

Good point. Maybe require a manual F5 refresh?
How about just using the SL icon again? 

We'll fine tune this when we get a little further along.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2022, 02:05:40 pm »

How about just using the SL icon again? 

We'll fine tune this when we get a little further along.
That would be fine, thanks.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2022, 02:25:04 am »

Will Spotlight include albums in our libraries so that gaps with online data are filled? 

Will Spotlight better sort albums by date to provide a correct chronological listing?  Or offer sorting options?

Would be great if we could customise text under each entry, rather like "thumbnail text" to allow information for each album such as ratings, last played, etc etc to be added.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2022, 07:08:19 am »

Will Spotlight include albums in our libraries so that gaps with online data are filled? 

Will Spotlight better sort albums by date to provide a correct chronological listing?  Or offer sorting options?

Would be great if we could customise text under each entry, rather like "thumbnail text" to allow information for each album such as ratings, last played, etc etc to be added.

+1 for each suggestions!

And a spotlight page for each album where custom info from fields/tags could be displayed.

I think there is so much potential for this. It's already one of my favorite features in MC :)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2022, 10:27:23 am »

And a spotlight page for each album where custom info from fields/tags could be displayed.

You can do your own Tool Tip that displays your field/tag data for each album in your library. There is a long thread on doing that for Video files and you could certainly do the same for Audio files, customized to exact what you want to see.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,99227.0.html

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=119385.0

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2022, 10:47:36 am »

You can do your own Tool Tip that displays your field/tag data for each album in your library. There is a long thread on doing that for Video files and you could certainly do the same for Audio files, customized to exact what you want to see.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,99227.0.html

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=119385.0

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that!

Ultimately, I wish that the Spotlight views would be available in Theater view and especially JRemote (or any other remote) as I use this app many times a day, everyday :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2022, 03:46:01 pm »

Both of these are in build 38 on this board.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2022, 05:02:32 pm »

Both of these are in build 38 on this board.

Build 38 does not include user albums in the Album lists. If it finds an album it appears to check to see if the album is in your library, but it does not add albums from the library into the Album list.  For example, I have Artists that have an empty Album list, despite Albums being in the library.

Build 38 sorts albums by date, but if there is no date and no album name, the picture is still included as an Album. If there is no name and date it seems like there is a very good chance it is not an Album.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2022, 09:43:39 pm »

I have set up all my date-sorted views in reverse chronological order (Tab menu > Sort By > Custom > Add > Descending (Z to A) > ...):  Recently Added, Year (release), Recently Played, Artist-Year.

Request:  Make it possible to list Spotlight albums in reverse chronological order.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2022, 07:57:36 am »

Some more detail on the fact that build 38 does not include albums in your library in the Spotlight album list unless SL finds them through its normal search process. The normal search process should include looking at the users library.  Here is an example where I have 5 albums by the group Patchouli, but none of them show up in the Albums list, not even the one the triggered the Spotlight. 

Request : Use the local library and YADB as part of the process for determining Albums for Spotlight.

gappie

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2022, 08:47:06 am »

i like spotlight a lot.
maybe it should be more picky choosing an artist, when that makes sense.  ?
example:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2022, 09:49:09 am »

Hi gappie,
We know it needs tuning.  We're just trying to get the basics working right now.

"japan discography" might work.

Jim

mpffffhhhh

• Recent member
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2022, 05:58:26 am »

I understand what you are saying and will work on it.

great! many tias!

Helibaby

• Recent member
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2022, 08:49:54 am »

How about localizing the Wikipedia link connected to the language of the GUI?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2022, 02:09:33 pm »

The next build caches the Spotlight data, so with future builds you will want to clear the cache to see changes in Spotlight pages generated in previous builds.  You can do this by clicking the small "Refresh" link at the bottom of the page and then clicking Clear All.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2022, 05:52:08 pm »

In a few more days, we plan to put the audio version of Spotlight on simmer and let people try it out more and let us know what they think.

We expect to get started with a video  version.  When you click on the SL button, it will probably ask you click on Director or Actors.  Then related movies will be displayed.  Maybe trailers for them.

As always, your suggestions are welcome.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2022, 06:39:23 pm »

milsdrewbulch

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2022, 03:31:11 am »

Just noticed that the back button on my Logitech mouse doesn't back you out of Spotlight as it does with the usual Playing Now screen in which it operates the same as the little back triangle at top/left to take you back to Albums.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2022, 01:33:42 pm »

Beautiful work here!

How about a button to search for an artist in Cloudplay, bringing up a list of playlists which include the artist?

Mike...

• Recent member
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2022, 01:42:42 pm »

please make an option to disable that Spotlight button ! i don't use those links, always disable them, but can't disable Spotlight and it annoys me.

+1

Please allow removal of the button. Thank you.

audioart

« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2022, 02:27:47 pm »

Please allow removal/disable of the button. Thank you.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2022, 01:42:23 pm »

Any plan to add Spotlight to the mobile interfaces (Panel, JRemote, etc)? I, and I would assume many other users, never use the computer interface for playing music. Would love to have a richer Panel experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up