INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I got Qobuz to work with JRiver DSP and DLNA/UPnP  (Read 6611 times)

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
I got Qobuz to work with JRiver DSP and DLNA/UPnP
« on: May 28, 2022, 06:18:25 am »

... albeit a bit crooked. Here is how I managed with MC28 (running on a Windows PC) in my somewhat unusual setup:

1 Activate Media Network (including the renderer function)
2 Activate WDM (Options - General - Features - select WDM driver)
3 BubbleUPnP on my Android now sees JRiver as renderer
4 Select Qobuz as library in BubbleUPnP
5 Play a track from Qobuz
6 This track now appears in the default player in JRiver
7 Drag this track to an external renderer -- in my case APlayer Media Renderer -- that appears on the left in JRiver

and the music plays with JRiver DSP applied.

I do not have a DAC connected to the PC on which JRiver is running, however I assume that in that case, it would be even easier, as it could be set as default player in step 6, with no need for step 7.

But as I cannot use a local DAC but have to use a DLNA/UPnP renderer, I have this question:
Is it possible in that case to automate 6 and 7, without the need for dragging? I.e. have the music routed to the external renderer automatically?

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: I got Qobuz to work with JRiver DSP and DLNA/UPnP
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 09:47:18 am »

No one? I guess it is not possible?

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 10:40:43 am »

Ah some progress:
I linked the default player in JRiver to the renderer. Now when I choose a song in Qobuz it automatically adds it to the renderer's playlist. So all I have to do is hit Play -- dragging between players is no longer needed.
Not a complete solution, but better than nothing.

adnut

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 09:23:00 am »

Thanks for reporting what you found. I am also trying same using JRiver v26, enabled WDM, linked local default "Player" and Oppo 105 as DLNA renderer.  DSP on Player uses JRiver processing engine and shows DSP setting applied. However, DSP and JRiver processing engine do not work on the remote DLNA device. When I click on DSP Studio icon on Oppo renderer (3 small horizontal lines on right) I get a message:

"Information
DSP Studio is only available for local zones"

Could you confirm if DSP settings are really applied on your remote DLNA renderer?

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 09:33:35 am »

Yes, however you have to set DSP via Media Network - Add or Configure DLNA - Audio Mode (Specified output format) - Advanced (DSP).
Not very intuitive, I admit.

adnut

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 10:02:37 am »

Thanks again, I had to reconfig DLNA, restart JRiver, and now I see DSP settings are applied even on remote DLNA renderer. Message was confusing, but now at least I can stream Qobuz via JRiver and its DSP settings.

I was considering buying an external hardware based DSP/DAC just for this and bypassing JRiver DSP... Glad you posted this workaround, saves me from yet another purchase just to make DSP work.

I wish we did not have to link zones just to make this simple use case work: auto route to any renderer as default rather than fixed "Player" as default. Do you know if this was requested and got denied by JRiver?

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 10:11:07 am »

I am not sure.

Maybe there is a way to get this to work without linking the players, f.i. using Zone Switch.

A limitation with the method described is that it does only one track at the time, but for me that is OK as I only use Qobuz for sampling music.

adnut

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 10:32:07 am »

I can play whole album using BubbleUPnP on Android, not just a single track. Depends on where you click I think. If you click play on album, it works for me, shows entire album tracks on playlist and plays them in sequence automatically on both linked players and with separate DSP settings on each player.

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 10:36:54 am »

Ah thanks, good to know. I will try that sometime soon...

adnut

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 06:58:42 pm »

Afterall I take it back. DSP engine to DLNA device does not take effect when Qobuz streamed from Android to JRiver via BubbleUPnP...

- BubbleUPnP on Android, streaming Qobuz to desktop where JRiver is installed.
- Player and Oppo105 are linked zones.
-Both linked zones play songs streamed from Android BubbleUPnP.
- Player DSP settings take effect.
- Oppo DSP settings (set by DLNA renderer assigned to Oppo 105 in JRiver) do not take effect. Shows does not use JRiver audio engine.

If I send a song/album from JRiver library to player, it works and DSP settings on Oppo105 take effect, showing JRiver audio engine applying DSP setting on Oppo. I can also confirm by hearing the frequency mods made by DSP engine works.

When I stream Qobuz, although audio engine shows DSP settings are still applied on Oppo, they do not take effect. I think DSP setting and audio engine settings stay stale on the JRiver UI, which seems like a bug.

Unfortunately it is not working for Qobuz streaming to JRiver.

I am not looking or asking for Qobuz integration. Just trying to get awesome JRiver DSP on remote renderer work when steamed from BubbleUPnP.

bodiebill

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 06:02:32 am »

Perhaps your setup was after all different from the one I described in the first post. In my case I use BubbleUPnP to send one track only to JRiver where it appears in the local player. Then I send this one track via UPnP to the renderer. DSP is applied that way, that is unmistakable.

Maybe the fact that you could send a whole album confirms that your setup was different, as my limit was 1 track at the time: sending a new track overwrites the previous one.

mrpro

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 03:07:03 am »

... albeit a bit crooked. Here is how I managed with MC28 (running on a Windows PC) in my somewhat unusual setup:

1 Activate Media Network (including the renderer function)
2 Activate WDM (Options - General - Features - select WDM driver)
3 BubbleUPnP on my Android now sees JRiver as renderer
4 Select Qobuz as library in BubbleUPnP
5 Play a track from Qobuz
6 This track now appears in the default player in JRiver
7 Drag this track to an external renderer -- in my case APlayer Media Renderer -- that appears on the left in JRiver

and the music plays with JRiver DSP applied.

It's even easier in Linux. I also have a somewhat unusual approach. Since the Linux kernel has virtual machine built right in, I installed Android for PC as a virtual machine on my Ubuntu Studio machine, and I use BubbleUPnP to stream Quobuz in its highest quality mode to Media Center on Ubuntu Studio as my renderer. This eliminates the need to use a separate box or a phone to run Android. Since BubbleUPnP allows me to bypass all processing, I am basically redirecting the stream without  using the Android sound system at all to JRiver's DSP which uses ALSA, far superior to Android sound. I can  play a continuous playlist of 3 or 4 hours at a time.

I have a very acoustically difficult listening room, and in addition to extensive sound treatment, I rely heavily on JRiver's convolver capabilities to make the listening room usable.

I do use a separate high end DAC, and I upsample the highest quality mode in Quobuz to 384kHz, 32 bit before being sent to my DAC. Sounds superb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up