INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: JRVR Video Enhancements in Media Center 30  (Read 22849 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW: JRVR Video Enhancements in Media Center 30
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2022, 04:03:26 am »

1.   Anamorphic stretch for an Isco IIL 1.33x lens. Manual on and off, (not auto switching)

Its not entirely obvious and we plan to move/reword these options in the future when some other pieces are in place, but you should be able to get the right stretching with "Settings -> Video -> Advanced -> Aspect Ratio Correction"
If your video has black bars, it might be required to either use Crop aspect ratio mode, or manually set each video to the appropriate black bar cropping mode.

We're currently working on (offline) black bar detection to automate this, and there are some rough plans for live blackbar detection as well for a more distant future.

2.   Profiles

Profiles are supported in JRVR.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,133480.0.html

3.   Enhancement features like madvr, sharpen edges, crispen edges, thin edges, enhance detail

Currently, we only support debanding, and I plan to add sharpening. We are not likely going to offer the full array of options as madVR has, but instead offer custom pixel shader support, so advanced users can supplement the options that way - but thats in the future.

4.   NGU, I believe JRVR has something similar now, hopefully as good.

NGU itself is proprietary to madVR and nothing else will ever support it. But we have FSRCNNX, which offers comparable quality.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

murray

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2022, 01:02:10 pm »

Its not entirely obvious and we plan to move/reword these options in the future when some other pieces are in place, but you should be able to get the right stretching with "Settings -> Video -> Advanced -> Aspect Ratio Correction"
If your video has black bars, it might be required to either use Crop aspect ratio mode, or manually set each video to the appropriate black bar cropping mode.

We're currently working on (offline) black bar detection to automate this, and there are some rough plans for live blackbar detection as well for a more distant future.

Profiles are supported in JRVR.

Currently, we only support debanding, and I plan to add sharpening. We are not likely going to offer the full array of options as madVR has, but instead offer custom pixel shader support, so advanced users can supplement the options that way - but thats in the future.

NGU itself is proprietary to madVR and nothing else will ever support it. But we have FSRCNNX, which offers comparable quality.

Thanks for that Hendrick, I do hope to see sharpening features, it will be things like this that will move me off madvr.

While we are on this do you think we can have frame rate to show in the stats input and output, without that I dont know where I am when testing JRVR?

Ive tried that aspect ratio in advanced many many times in past versions of MC and 30. But have never been able to get the stretch to change for scope films with my anamorphic lens and Cineneslide.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2022, 01:35:20 pm »

Ive tried that aspect ratio in advanced many many times in past versions of MC and 30. But have never been able to get the stretch to change for scope films with my anamorphic lens and Cineneslide.
worked fine on JRVR for me when I tested it, some details in the posts that start from https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131214.msg923650.html#msg923650

murray

« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2022, 02:04:23 pm »

worked fine on JRVR for me when I tested it, some details in the posts that start from https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131214.msg923650.html#msg923650
Ive read that many times in the past and its very hard to follow......
Ive tested the stretch and crop black bars in MC many times and never found a way to make the stretch work correctly (in the right way) as it to isnt clear how to really do it.
Ive worked in "Settings -> Video -> Advanced -> Aspect Ratio Correction" then in Window crop black bars and still the stretch isnt correct.

I use an Isco IIIL lens on a cineslide, the slide only comes into action for scope films which have black bars.
I dont want an automated system like the Envy madvr, I want to control the stretch manually from my ipad with maybe key strokes. (1 for stretch 2 for normal 16:9)

They should look like this but I cant get it to work through MC controls using Aspectratio correction and Window crop black bars. Examples using madvr.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2022, 02:21:07 pm »

I also use a 3L on a slide

Which bit of the linked settings are unclear?

murray

« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2022, 03:29:56 pm »

I also use a 3L on a slide

Which bit of the linked settings are unclear?
All of it, there are posts all over the place, no instructions in one place.
Can you explain then how to work the stretch in MC for me please so I can test it?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2022, 04:58:41 pm »

The 2 approaches I tried are written in the post I linked to

1) Set Aspect Ratio Correction in advanced options + set Window > Crop in the right click menu during playback
2) Don't use any advanced options, use the Window menu only with Stretch + Crop Black Bars > Video within Black Bars is 2.35

Do you know how to use those options?

murray

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2022, 05:50:29 pm »

The 2 approaches I tried are written in the post I linked to

Do you know how to use those options?

Many thanks Matt (I think???) I think I finally have it working on my office PC test MC30, fingers crossed I need to now test in the cinema with the lens and cineslide.

It needs to be clearer and simplified.

Are you using JRVR for your stretch with your lens and slide or are you still using madvr for it?

I will report back later after I've tested it in the cinema.

As you know I want to do this in a manual way, how can I set it up with say with shortcuts and a profile for 1. keystroke = stretch and 2. keystroke = normal?

Many thanks....

Im just adding to my post later in the day as Ive discovered a few more things.... I can get it to work direct from the Window section as the film is playing but this isnt the way I want to do it as everytime you stop play, MC remembers that stretch and next time you open up it activates. I want to manually do the stretch, slide and masking all from one button press on my ipad.

So I though I would have control manually from the Options Advanced tab that Henrick mentioned, and MC wouldnt "save" the stretch you used when the film was stopped. I want to run like this: When a scope film starts I press Scope on the ipad, stretch/slide and masking changes, when I press 16:9 all goes back.....
However testing this function from the Options/ Video/Advanced section nothing happens, stretch etc etc is dead as that area has no "crop black bars". It will work if you go back to Window and activate "crop black bars 2.35" but again MC remembers that setting in the file when you stop.

Lets hope we can sort this the way I would like to run stretch "Manually"  :)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2022, 02:11:30 am »

Are you using JRVR for your stretch with your lens and slide or are you still using madvr for it?
I use madvr

As you know I want to do this in a manual way, how can I set it up with say with shortcuts and a profile for 1. keystroke = stretch and 2. keystroke = normal?

I can get it to work direct from the Window section as the film is playing but this isnt the way I want to do it as everytime you stop play, MC remembers that stretch and next time you open up it activates. I want to manually do the stretch, slide and masking all from one button press on my ipad.
I'm not aware of a way to do what you want. The window option is not usable because of the reason you've found (window setup is stored in the library item) & I think jrvr profiles are driven by library field attributes in the same way zoneswitch is (and there is currently no built in way to calculate this, you'd either need to use something like https://www.avsforum.com/threads/aspect-ratio-detector-get-the-real-ar-and-write-it-into-mkvs-meta-data-nfo-files-or-filename-tags.3176044/ or https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=106802.0 to calculate it and store that).

Wouldn't the control system be better if it was driven by what you're playing? i.e. pressing play on an anamorphic title has the understanding to set pj into an installation mode which triggers the lens to move and MC then activates the profile automatically. I can see this wouldn't work if you wanted to change the scaling after playback starts (i.e. at a manually selected point in time) but are you doing that?

Regardless of how you do it, if you want it to be completely manual I am not aware of a way to do that today.

murray

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2022, 12:58:48 pm »

I use madvr
I'm not aware of a way to do what you want. The window option is not usable because of the reason you've found (window setup is stored in the library item) & I think jrvr profiles are driven by library field attributes in the same way zoneswitch is (and there is currently no built in way to calculate this, you'd either need to use something like https://www.avsforum.com/threads/aspect-ratio-detector-get-the-real-ar-and-write-it-into-mkvs-meta-data-nfo-files-or-filename-tags.3176044/ or https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=106802.0 to calculate it and store that).

Wouldn't the control system be better if it was driven by what you're playing? i.e. pressing play on an anamorphic title has the understanding to set pj into an installation mode which triggers the lens to move and MC then activates the profile automatically. I can see this wouldn't work if you wanted to change the scaling after playback starts (i.e. at a manually selected point in time) but are you doing that?

Regardless of how you do it, if you want it to be completely manual I am not aware of a way to do that today.

As Ive mentioned to you before I dont want any of the "A" stretch to be automated at all. I dont want the scope mkv to remember the stretch, I dont want any script written in the file, I want to use the scope stretch manually. As I mentioned in the past I'm a 70 yr old X projectionist and I want to run as I once did in a projection room, manually... I want to be in control.

I run my shows with trailers and feature in the playlist from JR an amazing feature. I have to take many of those trailers from youtube and some arnt the best qaulity, these ones I may then leave showing black bars "letterbox" on the 16:9 screen, when the scope feature starts in the playlist I press 2.35 on the ipad and my stretch happens, slide comes in and masking moves out to scope, one button press. Simple easy and all done on the fadeout of the last trailer and the fade in of the scope feature, 2 secs.

Many automated sestems have to first detect the black bars to active and then one may have the stretch happen on a visible frame, thats not good presentation. When I'm in control of the system Im the one in control, I become the boss.

Maybe Hendrick might offer two systems in MC30, one with manual stretch and the other automated, I do hope so. But thank you for the help, its a shame I can't nail this with what we already have here.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2022, 02:30:20 pm »

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

If there are (or can be) MCC command(s) to do the "A" stretch then back to 16:9 then you should be good to go.
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2022, 02:33:24 pm »

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

If there are (or can be) MCC command(s) to do the "A" stretch then back to 16:9 then you should be good to go.
Yes this is exactly what I want :) Lets hope that Hendrick can make this happen. ;)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2022, 04:12:34 pm »

As Ive mentioned to you before I dont want any of the "A" stretch to be automated at all. I dont want the scope mkv to remember the stretch, I dont want any script written in the file, I want to use the scope stretch manually.

I understand that you want control but my question was just whether you actually need control (to do something impossible without that control) or whether you.want it just because it's how you.have always done it.

From what you wrote, it's still not clear if you really need that control. The trailers are a different library item? If so they have their own AR and hence being able to drive the lens from what is actually played is sufficient isn't it? Obviously if Hendrik turns round and says "we will implement what you want" then ignore me so take this as ways to try to do what you need without controls that might be easier to implement if they don't exist already :)

murray

« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2022, 04:58:14 pm »

madvr allows anamorphic stretch automatically and manually. If JRVR was to ever implement "A" stretch it would be wise to allow both systems (manual/auto) I would have thought.

Can I ask why you dont use JRVR?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2022, 02:56:48 am »

Can I ask why you dont use JRVR?
I guess we are going off topic now, someone may want to split this to somewhere else

It doesn't give me anything that madvr doesn't already do so I have no incentive to even consider switching.

Practically speaking, for me personally, there are 2 material gaps without even considering picture accuracy (which I haven't looked at at all so couldn't comment on). One is calibration (I use displaycal and madtpg to create a 3dlut) and the other is automated, display specific, a lens support. On the former, I imagine some method can be worked out which is equivalent so probably not a big deal. The latter is a fair amount of work to automate (would have to build that into how I import videos and go back and process my entire library).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2022, 06:22:57 am »

I guess we are going off topic now, someone may want to split this to somewhere else

It doesn't give me anything that madvr doesn't already do so I have no incentive to even consider switching.

Practically speaking, for me personally, there are 2 material gaps without even considering picture accuracy (which I haven't looked at at all so couldn't comment on). One is calibration (I use displaycal and madtpg to create a 3dlut) and the other is automated, display specific, a lens support. On the former, I imagine some method can be worked out which is equivalent so probably not a big deal. The latter is a fair amount of work to automate (would have to build that into how I import videos and go back and process my entire library).
If you're going to offer a comparison, it would be nice if you would try it. 

"a lens"  ==  anamorphic lens (?)

https://www.projectorreviews.com/projector-lenses-demystified/

Previous discussion:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=119098.0

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=124128.0

Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jriver+anamorphic

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2022, 07:03:24 am »

I didn't get your point, I am not offering a comparison because I don't use it (in my cinema, I do use it on my laptop and other Linux machines)  I just answered the question of why I don't use it (and I have used it enough to know it doesn't have features I need)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2022, 07:08:25 am »

OK.  Thanks for the clarification.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2022, 01:58:09 pm »

Thanks matthkan for your help.  FWIW, I've been working with Murray off line for some time but my knowledge and experience with Anamorphic Lens is 0! 

I've moved on from madVR as JRVR does everything I need and is under active development and support.... but I'm interested to see how Murray goes as his Theatre Setup is another level and already fine tuned around madVR. 

FWIW, one big incentive to move is that madVR is suffering "software rot" with the last official release coming up to 4 years old (and the last non expiring beta is Feb 2020?? so that is now coming up to 3ish? years old).  I've moved to Win11 across the board.  Plenty of discussion is that Win11 and madVR is not a great combo (though I've found no issue in testing).  Who knows how it will perform over time as the PC environment changes....   
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2022, 02:01:02 pm »

Regarding Anamorphic, I'd suggest some patience.  Hendrik already has plans for this so lets see how that develops.  It tends to work out well.

Its not entirely obvious and we plan to move/reword these options in the future when some other pieces are in place....
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2022, 02:06:42 pm »

Yes that's why I am always here to test these niche features as improvements are made, difficult to be confident madvr will be available in future and the envy is a) enormous, and b) off the chart expensive so need a backup plan!

murray

« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2022, 02:55:27 pm »

Thanks matthkan for your help.  FWIW, I've been working with Murray off line for some time but my knowledge and experience with Anamorphic Lens is 0! 

I've moved on from madVR as JRVR does everything I need and is under active development and support.... but I'm interested to see how Murray goes as his Theatre Setup is another level and already fine tuned around madVR. 

FWIW, one big incentive to move is that madVR is suffering "software rot" with the the last official release is coming up to 4 years old (and the last non expiring beta is Feb 2020?? so that is now coming up to 3ish? years old).  I've moved to Win11 across the board.  Plenty of discussion is that Win11 and madVR is not a great combo (though I've found no issue in testing).  Who knows how it will perform over time as the PC environment changes....

Nathan, this is the very reason I'm trying to move away from madvr since all development stopped on madvr PC ages ago. The Envy is the hot topic these days but who wants to spend way over 20K when you have spent 40K on a projector!

Ive just moved from MC29 to MC30 as I wanted to also follow the development of JRVR which Ive been testing again over the last 24hrs. I have to admit Im liking it both for SDR and  HDR files. Actually I dont think it should be pushed for just people with low powered PCs or Nucs, I have the 3080ti card in my dedicated theatre PC, thats exactly the same card in the new Envys.... People like me are looking for an alternative to madvr, I read the madvr forum everyday for years and the folk say this all the time.... Really JRVR for me only needs two last things built in, A stretch and enhancements like sharpen, crispen edges etc etc... There are still many of us left that do use projectors and anamorphic lenses, we are still here alive and kicking!

I have over 3000 ripped discs BD and HDR on my Nas and JR for me is the icing on the cake, I want to see further advancements on JRVR..... Having a simple (manual) working anamorphic stretch built into it would certainly enhance it for me. All I need is to see it work in a manual way with hotkeys, one for Stretch another for normal 16:9. For those that need an automatic system that may take extra time to develop, but as I say to each there own.

Im very happy to be a beta tester for an A stretch in JRVR if anyone wants me.

BTW. Was chatting to my friend last night who also has a pretty impressive HT who I put onto JR years ago. I was telling him how good JRVR is now and I want him to move from MC25 to MC30 so he to can start testing JRVR. I know he will like it as hes always having issues with madvr, it can take years to master....

Below are two images taken through the porthole into my projection room. JVC NZ9 with Isco IIIL anamorpic lens and Cineslide. On 150" curved acoustic scope screen the results are impressive, I only use my oleds for watching the news. Lens in for scope, out for 16:9.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2022, 04:52:15 am »

Doing some more testing on a 1080p All in One (Intel Xe iGPU), I've found that Downscaling UHD content for this device is really blows out the rendering times making such content unwatchable.  Did all the usual fiddling around and found that (oddly) Jinc was the fastest not Bilinear (but still no quick enough).  No issues with upscaling.  Am I missing something, as I would have thought that downscaling would be much easier?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2022, 05:03:16 am »

Did some testing (see this thread) on a NUC12i5 .  Looks like there is something up with the "Allow HW decoder direct rendering on mismatched size" option, especially on high frame rate content.  With it checked I get rendering time jumping from 3 to 20ms and random dropped frames all over the place.  With it unchecked rendering stays around 3-5ms and it looks pretty good.  Need to check the older NUCs to again to see it this option still helps them but you certainty don't want this checked on Xe iGPUs!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2022, 06:08:34 pm »

Did some testing (see this thread) on a NUC12i5 .  Looks like there is something up with the "Allow HW decoder direct rendering on mismatched size" option, especially on high frame rate content.  With it checked I get rendering time jumping from 3 to 20ms and random dropped frames all over the place.  With it unchecked rendering stays around 3-5ms and it looks pretty good.  Need to check the older NUCs to again to see it this option still helps them but you certainty don't want this checked on Xe iGPUs!

Did some more testing, and the following seems to work best for me:
- Intel Iris Xe iGPU : Turn OFF "Allow HW decoder direct rendering on mismatched size"
- Intel Iris Plus iGPU : Turn ON "Allow HW decoder direct rendering on mismatched size"
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2022, 03:06:13 am »

On the other end of the scale.  Here is JRVR running a BD to a UHD screen on the 4090.  Please Sir I Want Some More
JRiver CEO Elect

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2022, 12:30:56 pm »

In recent days I finally replaced the motherboard, processor and ram, and then I upgraded to Win 11.

I must say that now everything is much smoother, despite having kept the Rx 580 video card, and I had the pleasant surprise of being able to activate pass-through HDR more easily, something I couldn't do with win10.

At first glance the image looks brighter and more three-dimensional, but I'm still not sure if it's better than tone mapping, especially in the case of video with a lot of nits.

In your experience, is pass-through or tone mapping better for video projection?

Another little problem. In case of pass-through, the refresh change is slower than the TM, despite having set "wait after changing" to 5 seconds: how can I improve?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2022, 03:57:52 pm »

FWIW, I'm using HDR Passthrough to all my hit NIT Flatscreen, and Tonemapping for the PJ (as it has low nits).  At the end of the day, I guess it will depend on how well the displays handles HDR natively to whether it makes a noticeable difference to do it in the HTPC instead.  Given the Envy exists, it would seem so.  I certainly do like (on my flat screens) having everything always in HDR mode so there is no switching apart from frame rate (which seems as quick / slow as before).  It seems to make it much more reliable and whatever MS is doing to go SDR --> HDR seems to work pretty well.  On my PJ it is always in SDR mode.  I do not switch between SDR <--> HDR modes on any device.  It is all one or the other. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2023, 09:29:01 pm »

Setting up some profiles based on FPS (for new NUC) and found that Live TV was not trigging it (must not have a FPS in the DB).  I had to modify the Rule to be if >"24" OR ""
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2023, 07:31:33 pm »

Now I've got the profiles sorted with the 1240p Xe based NUC, I went back to check out the impact of "Allow HW decoder direct rendering on mismatched size".  The testing was using JRVR's Quality Preset playing a std UHD HDR BD Rip in HDR Passthrough mode.  I reset the stats after 10sec and let it play for about 5 minutes each.

Set to "On"
- peak rendering times moved around by 15ms or so
- there is the occasional single dropped frames (but it did not seem to be correlated to movement in the peak rendering time)

Set to "Off"
- peak rendering times only moved around by 1ms or so though overall rendering time is about 10% higher than when set to "On"
- no dropped frames

Let me know if you want frame logs etc.

Thanks
Nathan

Edit: also FWIW, it seems much better behaved with Intel's latest driver.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2023, 02:23:49 am »

Intel Xe does not natively support D3D11, they emulate it in some fashion, so some peculiar behavior might be expected. I assume it might get better over time with drivers. Not much to do here.

You might get a smoother result if you used Vulkan in JRVR, but then you don't get hardware accelerated decoding for now. (and of course there is no button to actually make it use Vulkan, although it could).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2023, 05:07:37 am »

Thanks!  I wanted to check to make sure I was not suffering early onset Alzheimer's as this option has always worked great on earlier Intel iGPUs.  I was just completely thrown how bad it was initially till I tracked down the "peculiar behaviour" could be fixed by turning off "Allow HW decoder direct rendering on mismatched size" and updating to the newer drivers.  Anyway, as you say there is nothing to do, just to config JRVR correctly for this HW (it may be worth noting next to the option not to use if you are on Xe?).

I'm really happy / surprised with how well the Xe performs for such a low powered GPU.  Or should I say I'm really happy how efficient JRVR is on such iGPU. :)  Playing std UHD BD content using JRVR Quality Preset on such an entry level chip is pretty phenomenal. 

Edit - I'll test Vulcan tomorrow but don't expect it will work well without HW accelerated decoding support.
Edit 2 - Could not work out how to use Vulcan to test (apart from TheaterView where GPU was pegging around 80%).  Reread your comment above that you can't enable Vulcan on Windows JRVR anyway!
Edit 3 - Just read that Vulcan HW Acceleration has only just been introduced for H264 & H265.  VC1 (and VP9) is in the TBA department. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2023, 01:01:59 am »

Fair enough.  Win11 HDR On seems to do an OK job, just figured that (at some point) a "better" 3rd party implementation may be available.

FWIW - I found this doco from Dolby on HDR Inverse tone mapping - upscaling SDR content to HDR and the good thing is that it includes the “MovieLabs Best Practices for Mapping BT.709 Content to HDR10 for Consumer Distribution” which has the sequence of transformations required to make SDR content on an HDR display look identical to SDR content on a SDR display.

I'm "assuming" this is the process that Win11 is using but it still would be unique to have this in JRVR for non Win11 users with HDR screens that don't want to do SDR/HDR switching.
JRiver CEO Elect

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
JRVR ATSC 3.0 HEVC & AC-4 Frame Drops
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2023, 09:08:29 am »

When I play ATSC 3.0 1920x1080 HEVC & AC-4 files (or live tv), I get 4-6 chunk frame drops every 2 seconds. I have setup a profile that uses the JRVR "Performance Preset". It's even worse if I try my custom JRVR profile, that I use for normal tv/video mpeg2/h264. Is it the HEVC? Is it the AC-4 audio?

Win10 64bit
i7-7700@ 3.6GHz
16GB RAM DDR4
ADATA SX7000NP PCIe Gen3x4 M2
GTX 1660Ti  6GB 4k@59Hz
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2023, 09:17:16 am »

There is a good chance its the audio, there is a sync issue with AC-4 I think, and the dropped frames are it trying to re-sync, but its hard for me to fully test since I only have very short samples.
If thats the case, it should get better in a future build.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2023, 01:46:00 pm »

There is a good chance its the audio, there is a sync issue with AC-4 I think, and the dropped frames are it trying to re-sync, but its hard for me to fully test since I only have very short samples.
If thats the case, it should get better in a future build.
Thanks, more samples posted yesterday...

Maybe longer clips will help, so I'm posting 10 minute sample file links from each of my local stations....

NBC:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ShWfZyWSrPi0Vh6JAVs0z4IntCK0gEVf/view?usp=share_link

MyTv:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SmkPcif24lxKJuvCH3F-E_6dLwvIiMmK/view?usp=share_link

FOX:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SsIeAopUFbRVU8gLLrTaXWSDiXp20J1b/view?usp=share_link

CBS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SjcYwXt4Y63T9jo8gZxJsYHXLCK2_vE6/view?usp=share_link

ABC:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Siq7hHMUObYnVmZ02hWmbWnivtkBTv4s/view?usp=share_link
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

JNW

• Recent member
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2023, 08:53:29 pm »

First off you've done a great job with JRVR. So kudos there. I have a request. What are the chances of adding Adaptive Sharpen? It does wonders after using SuperRes or after FSRCNNX scaling. It's from igv, same as the glsl shaders being used now.

https://gist.github.com/igv/8a77e4eb8276753b54bb94c1c50c317e

eve

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2023, 01:24:14 am »

First off you've done a great job with JRVR. So kudos there. I have a request. What are the chances of adding Adaptive Sharpen? It does wonders after using SuperRes or after FSRCNNX scaling. It's from igv, same as the glsl shaders being used now.

https://gist.github.com/igv/8a77e4eb8276753b54bb94c1c50c317e
I'm hugely excited for the possibility of custom shaders in the future tbh

Slappy

« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2023, 08:01:12 am »

Good work on JRVR. I will continue to buy jriver only because of this and for the dolby vision  Full EL release.
The scaling is good but have room for improvement to reach the old madvr.

danbez

• Recent member
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2023, 10:10:41 am »

Good work on JRVR. I will continue to buy jriver only because of this and for the dolby vision  Full EL release.
The scaling is good but have room for improvement to reach the old madvr.

Does JRiver support full DV/EL layer? I missed this announcement.

JNW

• Recent member
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2023, 05:19:30 am »

I'm hugely excited for the possibility of custom shaders in the future tbh

Yep. Would be a great feature or at least add more shaders. Another good one would be ravu-zoom-r3 so if your upscaling 720p on a 1080p monitor you could use fractional scaling instead of doubling then downscaling.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2023, 03:46:31 am »

is this the correct way to configure JRVR to use a 3D LUT where I have 2 display modes

1) SDR : display targets REC709
2) HDR tonemapped to SDR : display targets DCI-P3 D65

using displaycal to generate the LUTs, see sdr_lut.png and sdr_jrvr.png for SDR + hdr_p3_lut.png & hdr_p3_jrvr.png for tonemapped HDR

I would then need to create 2 profiles to select between them using a rule like

SDR : IsEmpty[HDR Format])
HDR : !IsEmpty[HDR Format])

and I would need to make sure I've run video analysis on my entire library so the rule works correctly

for HDR, JRVR would then do the gamut conversion if necessary to DCI-P3 before the LUT is applied and output as SDR in a P3 container

correct?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2023, 09:09:20 am »

You don't need to use the HDR Format field, you can use one of the JRVR special fields, which will tell the profile if the video is HDR without prior analysis, based on the currently running video metadata.

Check the JRVR Profile thread for details on the special fields:

So basically, use [JRVR Video HDR] instead, or even [JRVR Video Gamut] to properly select between different output settings.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2023, 11:56:36 am »

You don't need to use the HDR Format field, you can use one of the JRVR special fields, which will tell the profile if the video is HDR without prior analysis, based on the currently running video metadata.

Check the JRVR Profile thread for details on the special fields:

So basically, use [JRVR Video HDR] instead, or even [JRVR Video Gamut] to properly select between different output settings.
thanks, I'd forgotten about those (not mentioned on the wiki either that I can see, probably wiki needs a refresh)

is the rest of the post correct?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2023, 12:02:57 pm »

It looks OK to me, but I'm not an expert on calibration myself, so always verify the image looks as expected.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2023, 08:49:00 pm »

I still would like to see comprehensive aspect ratio controls implemented with presets like this:

I asked for this years ago, and it now appears others here need support for positioning and sizing different aspect ratios.

Not sure if JRVR support allows this as I haven't got around to installing it on my system yet.

The last time I experimented with it, the existing scaling implementation was not granular enough and doesn't allow positioning of the scaled image within the preset.

Wull

• World Citizen
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2023, 03:21:39 am »

is this the correct way to configure JRVR to use a 3D LUT where I have 2 display modes

1) SDR : display targets REC709
2) HDR tonemapped to SDR : display targets DCI-P3 D65

using displaycal to generate the LUTs, see sdr_lut.png and sdr_jrvr.png for SDR + hdr_p3_lut.png & hdr_p3_jrvr.png for tonemapped HDR

I would then need to create 2 profiles to select between them using a rule like

SDR : IsEmpty[HDR Format])
HDR : !IsEmpty[HDR Format])

and I would need to make sure I've run video analysis on my entire library so the rule works correctly

for HDR, JRVR would then do the gamut conversion if necessary to DCI-P3 before the LUT is applied and output as SDR in a P3 container

correct?

mattkhan. Did you get this to work. I need to create two 3dlut profiles too. Any chance you could show your workings?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2023, 04:28:09 am »

it's basically as I wrote above, I have 4 profiles to select between all 4 combinations of HDR/SDR + 16:9/scope and which are based on the following 2 fields. This one is HDR 16:9

-[HDR Format]=[] [=[Compare([CropAR],<,2.2)]=1

CropAR is a custom field based on Video Crop

formatnumber(math(math(listitem([Video Crop],2,x) - listitem([Video Crop],0,x)) / math(listitem([Video Crop],3,x) - listitem([Video Crop],1,x))),2)

Wull

• World Citizen
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2023, 05:29:39 am »

it's basically as I wrote above, I have 4 profiles to select between all 4 combinations of HDR/SDR + 16:9/scope and which are based on the following 2 fields. This one is HDR 16:9

-[HDR Format]=[] [=[Compare([CropAR],<,2.2)]=1

CropAR is a custom field based on Video Crop

formatnumber(math(math(listitem([Video Crop],2,x) - listitem([Video Crop],0,x)) / math(listitem([Video Crop],3,x) - listitem([Video Crop],1,x))),2)

Thanks, Matt. Think I'm even more confused than before  :-[. I'll have a play and see if I can get my head round this.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2023, 05:12:44 am »

Planned
- (Maybe) Dolby Vision Enhancement Layer support (for UltraHD Blu-ray discs) (under investigation)

Is there any news regarding full DV support?

Yesterday I got to watch Top Gun Maverick in mkv format with Dolby Vision, and my UltraHD Blu-ray discs couldn't stand the comparison :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up