INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MadVR exlusive mode blackblinking and glitches and washed out color no brightnes  (Read 6790 times)

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I got help to find out a good solution for less stutter in videoplay. Eve at the forum helped me and showed me how to play madvr in exlusive mode and all that one need to do.  no use of  interpolation (dejudder at zero), only use BFI at medium and also turn off tonemapping. aslo lock madvr to 2160p120/2160p119. turn off displaysetting. so forcing a 5 pulldown with 120hz instead of 23hz sync. He got best result reguarding smoothness and stutter. And it looks acually from what I can see to very very good on my TV too. this could be a very good solution and no annoying artifacts due to interpolation.

But I get blackblinking one after another..but I am able to view a bit of movieplay inbetween, which looks to be very good. I also get glitches every second and the a small pause and then a some seconds with glitches and so on and I also dont get brightness and the colors are washed out.(not like low brightness due to BFI)

He said he can not help me anymore and think this looks superweird.

What could cause this ..the black blinking and washed out colors. He also got an Lg Oled. He a C1 and I a B1.
He says further that this could be a bad gpu and suggest to buy a new one and also reinstall windows. I have some time back during the summer reinstalled windows 3 or 4 times. so I dont think window could be the problem.

Does anybody know what the problem most likely are(black blinking, glitches and washed out colors)? is it most likely gpu? or windows? or both?

My desktop is new: intel i5 12600kf, 16 ddr 4 ram, msi rtx 3050 8 gb gpu, systemdisk is ssd and the moviedisks are regular hdd disk which I have tested for failure(they are all good).

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I showed the osd and picture from how tv is behaving through hidden menus... one can see this in the end of my thread here. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132094.150.html#lastPost

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I also uninstalled Msi afterburner which I only used to settle the gpu fan.

eve

• Citizen of the Universe

You still need to follow the troubleshooting steps.

1) fresh windows install (not from the summer)

2) If this still doesn't work, with the amount of different issues you seem to be having, I think it's time to attempt using another 30 series GPU.

It has to be a 30 series (or current gen AMD) to get out of the box 4K 120 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.1. You can use a Club3D adapter to do USB C display OR DisplayPort > HDMI 2.1 120HZ but that's another link in the chain so to speak.

If you're getting washed out colors and major brightness issues playing SDR content, something is VERY amiss.
Work the problem one step at a time. A new install of windows (without ANY software you regularly use except JRiver + madVR) is a good starting position.

Screen blinking on and off can be a symptom of a cable that isn't quite up to snuff as well, especially when you're dealing with the bandwidth requirements imposed by 4K 120hz 4:4:4

Hendrik

• Administrator

Broken SDR after playing a HDR video is a madVR bug, and nothing we can do about that. You have to restart MC to clear it, typically. We strongly recommend using JRVR. We made it specifically because of such issues.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

eve

Broken SDR after playing a HDR video is a madVR bug, and nothing we can do about that. You have to restart MC to clear it, typically. We strongly recommend using JRVR. We made it specifically because of such issues.
Glad to know this issue is just something to deal with.
However I believe his problem may be different unless of course he's not describing it correctly. I've never had HDR then SDR cause 'washed out' colors, indeed quite the opposite (extremely crushed blacks and a massive increase in saturation)
Whereas, HDR video not triggering the switch to HDR causes understandably, washed out colors (in my case, washed out / desaturated and brighter, lacking any real black).

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Ok thank You eve. Looks like I have to do it one more time. no software other than jriver.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

just made a reinstall. and updated windows. and then jriver. same result.

eve

just made a reinstall. and updated windows. and then jriver. same result.

Sounds like a GPU issue then. I don't really know what else to offer here. I run an RTX 3060ti in the machine I use for playback. It's frankly just enough for most scaling options but when I bought it prices were understandably WAY out of whack. A 3050 shouldn't have problems with playback, especially if you're not pushing it to it's limits.
Are you SURE you don't have a mouse moving around or any input devices maybe interfering with MadVR exclusive? I know occasionally blinking happens as exclusive mode de-engages for some OSD stuff or computer things.

We've established that you're installing windows fresh and not running other software so my feeling leans towards hardware....

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Ok so this could be anthing..like Ram, Mainboard, gpu, systemdisk. so a new pc essential.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam

Video hardware or driver is the most likely.

eve

Video hardware or driver is the most likely.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest going scorched earth just yet.

That's a good point Jim, I didn't mention updating the Nvidia driver manually.
Windows does usually install an older one (sometimes significantly older) as part of it's setup / hardware detection process.

Tk, on this fresh windows install can you attempt installing the latest Nvidia driver from them?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/
Do a manual driver search, and get the 'Game Ready' driver. When you install it, you can uncheck GeForce Experience (you really don't need it for much unless you're interested in HW accelerated remote desktop streaming) and make sure to check 'clean install'.
I don't *think* this will fix your issue but it's definitely worth a shot since it's really 5 minutes of your time.

Yeah it could be your RAM or your Processor or your Motherboard (ah the worst thing to diagnose, maybe even worse than memory), but we'll consider it a remote possibility at this time. The GPU is where you should focus your effort at the moment. Do you have access to another 30 series GPU *OR* whats Amazon like in your country? If you can order from them, you can snag a 3060ti, and just return it if this behavior persists.

I haven't had experience with AMD GPUs + MadVR in 10+ years so I dont' have a terrible amount to add on that front. I have a 6500XT that's actually being returned right now because I bought it for 120hz linux desktop stuff (also messing around with Wayland and HDR) and it kind of was a big disappointment, both from both a performance standpoint as well as the drivers. Say what you will about Nvidia and their closed source driver nonsense, their stuff does indeed work quite well.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam

Sometimes an older driver solves a problem. 

eve

Sometimes an older driver solves a problem.
Yes, though that's another step to take if the most current ones do not work here.
In my situation, I tend to stay semi current on Nvidia drivers, updating about once every 2 months but I also do read release notes / changelogs and feedback to make sure it won't break things.
I'm running 516.94 on a 3060ti and things are stable with JRiver and MadVR.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I installed latest driver ddu procedure. and afterwards clean install. same result. There could be an old driver that works like Jim is suggesting, but there are so many and would take ages to do. Anyways could it be that system may has been comprised and somebody have installed something that is unsolvable.

I could buy a gpu and return it if it doesnt solve the problem.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

delete

Correction: I was wrong. i used to have 8 to 10 hours not seconds(that would be very bad and noticable) and this is what I have now also 10 hours.

eve

ok ticked videoclock and hardware accelarate video decoding. then the deviation clock stabilized and are not moving much and is at 0.0013% which is very good also her I dont know how low it should be..like under that or that number an your good. never seen anybody write about any number/limits one should know about. but the frame drop every..is at about 6 or 7 hours which is very good. but I dont know how important that is really. Is it soo that as long as it is over 10 seconds then it is good enough every thing higher does not matter anything.  Yes I am using madvr and it outperforms jrvr on motion in some scenes.

chose best quality option in madvr and with everything in settings the same and then the osd showed 1 frame every..at about between 9 and 13 hours( before the clean install I got 8 or 9 seconds only. so this is much better now and way above the 10 seconds that I read at doom9 a guy wanted the nvidia to be able to do like amd managed to do. Or could it be false since it is way above 10 seconds and is showing several hours?

Several hours is normal once playback is started. You're pretty much always going to have dropped frames / errors in the first few seconds of playback, especially if you're also maximizing / fullscreening it around the same time, so that 'skews' your #s. Fast forwards / rewinds can also do it.

I don't really know what's going on now though. So is your playback working without this blinking you described and stuff?

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

delete

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I have another desktop (amd i7 2700x, 16 gb ram, ssd disk m2, gpu is gt 1030 2gb with ddr5 memory and not the bad cards that have ddr4). I tried this card at 60 fps and also forced it to do 120/119 fps and it had the same result on both settings. Exlusive mode should be able to do even at lower fps, yes? just to see/check to see I dont get black blinking, low brigthness and washed out colors and glitches? This should not happen right?

I also tried the rtx card in this pc too, but got the same result.

So both card does not allow exlusive modus. I think it maybe it is not necessary to buy a new gpu at this point.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I now have my "office" desktop moved back to my "office" and connected to my 60 hz pc monitore with gt 1030 2 gb card. I used to get somewhat smooth videoplayback before when I tried jriver on this pc many months ago. and it is impossible to get smooth playback even on jrvr. unwatchable.

I also tried exlusive mode on 1080p60/59 movie.. I did not get washed out colors(probably because this it is not hdr). but I got the same problem with black blinking, stutter, glitching but I got at least normal colors and brightness.

I reinstalled driver here because when I clicked on nvidia panel it would not open. I did it using ddu and the procedure recommended. I have windows 11 on this pc. forgot to mention that.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

On my Tv desktop(rtx gpu). I wanted to try exlusive mode on a 1080p movie. I did what eve told me only this time I wanted 1080p120, 1080p119. This was better. the only problem I got was glitches wich showed up in osd. the moveplay was ok from what I could see. no black blinking, washed out colors/brightness problem.

I also tried a 2160p sdr and not hdr movie...I got black blinking and glitches. between black blinking the motion looks very good could see this better now when brigthness and colors are back.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

eve I know all about framedrops and glitches due to use of the panel or starting a movie. initial stuff. the glitches in exclusive mode are happening during playback regularly..maybe some seconds pause and then several glitches every second or so or just one glitch..and then a pause few seconds(maybe 5 or 8 seconds) and with 4k one can get glitches continously.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Could it still be the gpu?? should I order a gpu anyway?

eve

Could it still be the gpu?? should I order a gpu anyway?

Could be the GPU or whatever cable you're using. Especially since you claim 1080p 119hz works...

Try a new cable? You need an HDMI 2.1 cable. If it needs to be somewhat long, you pretty much HAVE to go active optical. Don't skimp out there. Audiophile cable nonsense is one thing, finding reliable HDMI cables that are actually up to spec? Yeah you need to be mindful of it.
We're kind of running in circles......

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

well 1080 works but I get glitches in osd. could it be that a better gpu could just do this better and can even mange 4k without black blinking and glitches?. I have 3 different hdmi 2.1 cables and they all does not solve this. I use a 50 cm short cable since my desktop is just behind the tv. so the shorter the better, right.

I am thinking of a rtx 3070 Ti 8 GB. . That should be more than suffisient?

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I also recall now six months ago I wanted to buy a new cable. many of them created black blinking and other strange behaviours. Looks to me that maybe LG tv is very picky when it comes to 2.1 cables 48 mbps 4k 120hz.Øor maybe the gpu is pickey. I even bought an expensive 2.1 certified cable from an audio hifi shop selleing the more expensive ones. it cost 100 dollar even this one produced blinking after some seconds in use. also created a strange behaviour ...hard to put a word on it..but it was like the frantic pull of the picture starting from the lower right corner thereabout and pull the picture a bit up and then rapidly to the left. and this repeated periodically . stranges behaviour I have ever seen from a hdmi. sent it back of course.

eve

I also recall now six months ago I wanted to buy a new cable. many of them created black blinking and other strange behaviours. Looks to me that maybe LG tv is very picky when it comes to 2.1 cables 48 mbps 4k 120hz.Øor maybe the gpu is pickey. I even bought an expensive 2.1 certified cable from an audio hifi shop selleing the more expensive ones. it cost 100 dollar even this one produced blinking soner or later it was kinda periodic. and also created like some of the other cables a strange behaviour ...hard to put a word on it..but it was like the frantic pull of the picture starting from the lower right corner thereabout and pull the picture a bit up and then rapidly to the left. and this repeated periodically . stranges behaviour I have ever seen from a hdmi. sent it back of course.
Audiophile cables are a scam. Indeed some perform WORSE than a crappy one that's up to spec. I haven't noticed my C1's being picky but I have a good track record with Amazon's random no-name chinese brands selling "8K Active Optical" cables. The one's that are legit, are all the same internally so the actual name of the brand means nothing.

All of this behavior sounds very strange. I can't really help you much.

3070ti is a good GPU, 3060ti has been more than acceptable for 4K playback with madVR and most things maxed (with NGU) and doubling.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

delete

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Ok so also all my strange experience with different hdmi cable, which have all the necessary specs, or at least lists them up and several are certified. This could be the gpu that makes the trouble..thus trouble also with exlusive mode too, could be both.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

eve how good is your result when doing 120 fps with BFI in exlusive mode? do you get microstutter? or any stutter at all?

eve

eve how good is your result when doing 120 fps with BFI in exlusive mode? do you get microstutter? or any stutter at all?
No stutter that isn't inherent with 24fps content. I hate to jinx things for myself but it's been rock solid. I don't *need* to use exclusive mode in my setup however, but exclusive does work.
24fps content is something that some people are sensitive to, so there's a chance you're being annoyed by that. I *love* 24fps in many ways and I've found that presenting frames in this manner is the most pleasing way to handle the shortcomings of it without 'altering' the actual frames, which is something that I find incredibly distracting on live action content filmed at 24fps.

Oh and BFI won't be available in your LG TV's settings if you have Gsync / VRR on. Just toggle it off in Nvidia settings.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Thank You. I dont know what inherent 24fps stutter is.  I had a plasma 100hz(before oled), no sync of fps needed and just plug and play sort of speakand. played movies smoothly. I can not remember noticing any annoying stutter at all. no noting. I did not experience any of the stutter I see now even microstutter. nothing.

I take this inherent stutter thing that You speak of  as maybe there is some small stutter in very fast motion all the time or in some scenes, correct? could be that this inherent stutter is more noticeable on oled.

To get BFI I only choose to change monitortechnololgy from gsync to "prechosen/steady/firm" fps. Its just another way of disabling it I think.

"I've found that presenting frames in this manner is the most pleasing way to handle the shortcomings of it without 'altering' the actual frames, which is something that I find incredibly distracting on live action content filmed at 24fps." Yes it is awful to watch when they use dejudder/interpolation to alter it. No such thing was need on a plasma.

eve

Thank You. I dont know what inherent 24fps stutter is.  I had a plasma 100hz(before oled), no sync of fps needed and just plug and play sort of speakand. played movies smoothly. I can not remember noticing any annoying stutter at all. no noting. I did not experience any of the stutter I see now even microstutter. nothing.

I take this inherent stutter thing that You speak of  as maybe there is some small stutter in very fast motion all the time or in some scenes, correct? could be that this inherent stutter is more noticeable on oled.

To get BFI I only choose to change monitortechnololgy from gsync to "prechosen/steady/firm" fps. Its just another way of diabling it I think.

"I've found that presenting frames in this manner is the most pleasing way to handle the shortcomings of it without 'altering' the actual frames, which is something that I find incredibly distracting on live action content filmed at 24fps." Yes it is awful to watch when they use dejudder/interpolation to alter it. No such thing was need on a plasma.

Alright so you're probably not sensitive to what I'm talking about. Essentially certain panning / tracking motions at 24fps are just not going to look great. Also yes, in theory this sort of stuff is going to be a bit more noticeable on OLED due to how they function.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

ok so paning is bad with 5 pull down. and tracking motion(ex like a spaceship sliding into the screen at a certain speed, things like that). so these two things is does not look great. Ok 

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

gpu rtx 3070 ti. I set the madvr display mode to 2160p12...119 and disabled display settings. I set it to exclusive mode. and chose let madvr decide in hdr setting.

Same result. black blinking albeit not that aggressive each time it blinked it was more rapid not that in your face blink sort of speak a lighter blink. washed out colors, continous glitches in osd. low brighness. 

also tried 3 other hdmi cables.

So it is not the gpu then. Today a new driver came out. So I did the ddu procedure and then tried again to no avail.

So this is superweird. could it be the tv? what to do next..new ssd system disk? new ram?

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Okey! I have my windows resolution setting always at 60 hz because then interpolation/dejuddar does better when playing( 50 hz) netflix hbo youtube(all through opera browser, not jriver). I then tried to set it at 120 hz. then I got the black blinking away using 3d 11. and 120 fps 5 pull down playing a movie in madvr. I set it back to 60 fps and still the black blinking is gone. Exclusive mode is not ok then, leaving doubt and uease of things not being as it should be.

But I still got glitches. and when trying playing with videoclock and hardware accelerating video decoding. I found out that I unticked hardware accelerating video decoding, then the glitches stopped, but as I wrote only using 3d 11,exlusive mode is not usable, which is an indicator that something is not 100 persent. But I think though that 3d 11 and 120 hz/fps which forces 5 pull down(same frames presented 5 times to cope with oleds instant rapid presentation of frames) is working now as it should, I hope.

another thing which happened along tweaking..is that when I installed the new rtx card...I got pretty high rendering milliseconds..at about 8 milliseconds, compare to 3050s 14/15 milliseconds. but along the way it is now about 3 milliseconds, which would be more as is should be for this high end card. and this is after playing starting and restarting jriver which I do every time I start the movie again.

So I now think I am able to play movies(23fps video) using 120 fps/hz( osd shows 119880hz and this is also chosen in windows resolution when I go in there to check, It stays there at 119880..hz also when I am not playing movie. So  it should be able to do 120 hz/fps. I dont know what to think of this though. I see the movement is the best I have seen not using dejudder. paning is bad as you said. I think I have to play some movies to see if I get used to it.

I have to compare it with ...using madvr and dejudder and pixel shaders and using highligth recovery strength which actually reduces artfacts created from dejudder /motion artifacts.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Something is not as it should be. That is for sure.

I Am back to my old gpu. and I am not able to do the same 5 pull down same setting, even set madvr to lowest quality performance setting which is for low end gpu“s. So that is not how it supposed to be. 3050 aint that bad.

I seams that 3070 ti card is so strong that it solves the difficulties that I have on the pc. that is why there are no glitches.

eve

Something is not as it should be. That is for sure.

I Am back to my old gpu. and I am not able to do the same 5 pull down same setting, even set madvr to lowest quality performance setting which is for low end gpu“s. So that is not how it supposed to be.

I don't really understand any of this process.

In your previous post you said you had gotten things working

So I now think I am able to play movies(23fps video) using 120 fps/hz( osd shows 119880hz and this is also chosen in windows resolution when I go in there to check, It stays there at 119880..hz also when I am not playing movie. So  it should be able to do 120 hz/fps. I dont know what to think of this though. I see the movement is the best I have seen not using dejudder. paning is bad as you said. I think I have to play some movies to see if I get used to it.
If it works here, why did you go back to the old GPU? Following along with your post, you got a 3070ti, got it working, and then removed it?

Sell your 3050 or use it elsewhere and use the 3070ti for media playback right now. Clearly it's working.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

But why does exclusive mode not work with a brand new gpu?  Is not that a bit strange? It was so large that I had to remove some discs to be able to install it. I have to go for another card, like 3060 ti, which is more than enough I would think. I went back to the old gpu because I thought I had solved the issue by using 3d 11 and 5 pullddown and untick accelerate video decoding(which stopped the glitches). but that was not the case at all.
I am going to try it one more time. but not to night. I have to work tomorrow.  I cant have this card to big and I cant afford it either at the moment. But glad I tried it. 3060 ti is probably more than enough like You said.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I am going to try some movies that I did not get to try because they where one the discs I had to remove.

I am going to test more movies. It was the best I have seen without dejudder, but I am not sure this paning and tracking motion is something I can get used to. I am going to try alien covenant to see how the stutter is in the entire opening scene in the bright white rom...and also several scenes where the  spaceships paning over the screen. If it is bad I probably have to live with interpolation and keeping my old card. Frankly when things are not working properly I dont want to pay so much money anymore at the mess of a tv pc purchase. I have used 1500 dollar on the TV and 1300 dollar on a desktop and still get bad result and it should actually be perfect everything working perfectly which it does not. overall I am very diassapointed of the TV and Pc. But this is how things are in oled world. I am very pleased that You have helped me and I now know how to use 5 pull down. I will probably buy 3060ti when I get the money.  If I am pleased with 3070ti. the next days I am going to use it to see more movies. and decide if this is something I can use.

eve

But why does exclusive mode not work with a brand new gpu?  Is not that a bit strange? It was so large that I had to remove some discs to be able to install it. I have to go for another card, like 3060 ti, which is more than enough I would think. I went back to the old gpu because I thought I had solved the issue by using 3d 11 and 5 pullddown and untick accelerate video decoding(which stopped the glitches). but that was not the case at all.
I am going to try it one more time. but not to night. I have to work tomorrow.  I cant have this card to big and I cant afford it either at the moment. But glad I tried it. 3060 ti is probably more than enough like You said.

Some of the new cards are HUGE. 3060tis can get pretty small though, I forget which one we have slapped in my desktop but IIRC it's compact.

I can't really tell you why exclusive mode isn't working for you. Too many variables.

Don't buy a 3060ti new if you actually are planning on keeping it, they're getting really affordable used b/c the crash. The retail prices are quite out of pace with what they're worth.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

eve. when You use 5 pull down/120 hz/fps one can choose whatever hdr madvr setting in madvr one like, like pixel shader and dont activate the hdr logo/tvs hdr? I think maybe it is best just to use pixel shader and not tick off ,send hdr data til the Tv? or do you just choose let madvr decide? And maybe You turn off tonemapping when one use Tvs hdr handeling? Or does nothing of this matter and one can choose whatever one want? I think I read somewhere that the ting now was to not activate hdr and just let madvr to everything in processing of videos?

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

just reinstalled rtx 3070. I have not done anything yet other than reading forum on jriver. and it looks like the card is running warm under no load. The card got a huge heat sink( new cards got huge sink so that fans should only go on when it get warm) and the fans go on and off all the time. it goes on for a minute and then off for two minutes or three. this is unormal behaviour and somethings make the gpu go warm and that under no load. My other rtx 3050 did the same and when I used msi afterburner to control the gpu fan it was ok. And when I uninstalled the msi afterburner it contiued to stay quiet. Just want to write all that is not normal.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

I finally got to test alien covenant. and it was not good at all. stutter in most movement. only calm static pictures where ok as they always are. I did not noticed this on interstellar but had a strong suspicioun that this was the case. The opening scene in alien covenant in the white room was awful. and the scenes where the spaceship flying over the screen likewise. This is a clear dealbreaker. Interpolation and pixel shader and the use of highligth recovery strength is a better solution. But the problem here is that it is not rock solid, sometimes it is tight and is all good and then othertimes it is like things are not cooperating and create bad motion like geting clear artifacts or small hang ups in images, hard to explain. but when this happens motion is not good.

I do think that is shouldnt be so bad and that it is only like on this on my screen/TV or maybe You have the same and does not care. My initial thought was that all motion more or less was stutterfree and with uniform images in motion, without the shivering effect on movement. It would have been nice to know if You had the same result on your setup in this movie. I doubt you would consider it a good choice. I got the impression that You got a tight motion and only some little tiny stutter one very rapid motion and that only on large "bad" panning of the whole image would get some judder stutter.

If You have the same result more or less, then I can not use this. Then Oled is crap in my eyes and unbelievable that people can watch it. I do think it might be something wrong with my pc or tv and that is why I get black blinks in exlusive mode wich is a huge alarm bell since this should scorn JRiver for any inteference from other misbehaving software.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

and now also the fan is noisy which indicate that gpu struggles after I just ticked on some features in madvr processing setting(did not tinker with the settings just ticked it and used what was already suggested). aritfact removal and image enhancement(this last one got all the fans get noisy) I dont know that much about these features, but should this not be a no match of this gpu? thus another indicator that something is wrong and draw a lot of power that it shouldnt draw? or these setting insanely impacting the gpu and is normal. I am just playing around with this gpu now to see what it is good for. I did not touch these settings on the above rendering of alien covenant.

I also tested this youtube video of greece at 10 min 50 sec and then let it play for some seconds showing the camera come out from a tunnel in the mountain and the rocks is shivering on the right of the tunnel as the camera flyes out ot the tunnel. so this card is not performing better than my 3050. this happens when I play this video in 120 hz and interpolation dejudder at 7 and bfi at low. I does not handle this. I have to set resolution in windows to 60 hz and then it is almost perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSRKFAmfqnI&t=691s

eve

eve. when You use 5 pull down/120 hz/fps one can choose whatever hdr madvr setting in madvr one like, like pixel shader and dont activate the hdr logo/tvs hdr? I think maybe it is best just to use pixel shader and not tick off ,send hdr data til the Tv? or do you just choose let madvr decide? And maybe You turn off tonemapping when one use Tvs hdr handeling? Or does nothing of this matter and one can choose whatever one want? I think I read somewhere that the ting now was to not activate hdr and just let madvr to everything in processing of videos?

I've tried using MadVR for tonemapping HDR > HDR which tonemaps but still outputs an HDR signal. It's nothing special IMO, if your TV's implementation of tonemapping is poor, or you're using an older projector that TAKES HDR but is in no way really HDR (very, very few consumer projectors are *actually* HDR) then using MadVR instead of those tonemapping algorithms can be superior. While the LG displays are not 100% HDR (They just cannot really hit 1000 nits, you're looking at at most 700 on a good day outside of measurements) whatever mapping they do (not controlled by the tonemapping setting in the display) is good and works better than even the MadVR betas IMO

eve

I finally got to test alien covenant. and it was not good at all. stutter in most movement. only calm static pictures where ok as they always are. I did not noticed this on interstellar but had a strong suspicioun that this was the case. The opening scene in alien covenant in the white room was awful. and the scenes where the spaceship flying over the screen likewise. This is a clear dealbreaker. Interpolation and pixel shader and the use of highligth recovery strength is a better solution. But the problem here is that it is not rock solid, sometimes it is tight and is all good and then othertimes it is like things are not cooperating and create bad motion like geting clear artifacts or small hang ups in images, hard to explain. but when this happens motion is not good.

I do think that is shouldnt be so bad and that it is only like on this on my screen/TV or maybe You have the same and does not care. My initial thought was that all motion more or less was stutterfree and with uniform images in motion, without the shivering effect on movement. It would have been nice to know if You had the same result on your setup in this movie. I doubt you would consider it a good choice. I got the impression that You got a tight motion and only some little tiny stutter one very rapid motion and that only on large "bad" panning of the whole image would get some judder stutter.

If You have the same result more or less, then I can not use this. Then Oled is crap in my eyes and unbelievable that people can watch it. I do think it might be something wrong with my pc or tv and that is why I get black blinks in exlusive mode wich is a huge alarm bell since this should scorn JRiver for any inteference from other misbehaving software.

I've watched Covenant in the past (terrible movie... please just somebody stop Ridley Scott, though that first 'spine burster' is incredible) on this display and it wasn't bad at all.

Yeah any 'annoying' motion stuff I notice is inherent to the movie / 24fps and not really the display. I indeed find this far more pleasing than other display's motion.

eve

and now also the fan is noisy which indicate that gpu struggles after I just ticked on some features in madvr processing setting(did not tinker with the settings just ticked it and used what was already suggested). aritfact removal and image enhancement(this last one got all the fans get noisy) I dont know that much about these features, but should this not be a no match of this gpu? thus another indicator that something is wrong and draw a lot of power that it shouldnt draw? or these setting insanely impacting the gpu and is normal. I am just playing around with this gpu now to see what it is good for. I did not touch these settings on the above rendering of alien covenant.

I also tested this youtube video of greece at 10 min 50 sec and then let it play for some seconds showing the camera come out from a tunnel in the mountain and the rocks is shivering on the right of the tunnel as the camera flyes out ot the tunnel. so this card is not performing better than my 3050. this happens when I play this video in 120 hz and interpolation dejudder at 7 and bfi at low. I does not handle this. I have to set resolution in windows to 60 hz and then it is almost perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSRKFAmfqnI&t=691s

Okay so this youtube video is NOT 60 or 120 fps. What are you trying to accomplish? A better test would be grabbing it with yt-dlp and putting it into JRiver so you can utilize MadVR.

As for GPU load? MadVR isn't phenomenally efficient and it WILL load your GPU depending on settings.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Ohh thank you for responding. wasnt actually expecting a response on a saturday :-).

I Am not sure I fully understood your commen on Lg hdr tonemapping(this is the option, let madvr decide or passthrough hdr to display) vs madvr pixe shaders tonemapping. Did you say in the last sentence that lg does very good tonemapping, better than even madvr beta and that is what You use(ex let madvr decide setting)? I thought choosing pixelshaders was the best option and best performance wise. or is this option only about madvr tonemapping and nothing else..like better performance and less artifacts which I think I get. not 100 persent sure on this one. but I think choosing highlight recovery strength medium did produce less interpolation artifacts. I checked this on a starwars movie and the artifact one get infront of the nose of the spaceships flying through the light clouds( glorie or some space that is blurred, as in not clear) this was gone or not visable. pleasent surprize.

about that yt video. which is probably 50 or 60 hz video is better watched with lower hz in windows display, same goes for the 50 hz netflix videos. that is why I always setting at 60 hz because then I get the best result, if not my system like with jrvier movies decides to suddenly do bad videohandeling. very strange when suddenly there is way more artifacts in the video and stutter ...often goes hand in hand when this happens. as for jriver and youtube, I might look at that. It is not that important for me as windows at 60 hz when working is ok.

Ok so in Covenant movie in white bright room opening scene you also get this erractic stutter as the person walks across the room and movement in close up the lines along the face shivers a lot this type of stuff? And such things does not bother You? like when the robotoid sit in a chair at very start and raised himself from the chair and the head is shivering and also as he then walks across the floor..the body is shivering as it walks. same goes when he walks from the piano to get the man a coup of tea? I try to describe this as accurate as I can...I have a feeling that this is to bad to be normal and that you does not get it that bad. also when the camera move up to the robotoids face while he plays the piano..the bright background and the edge along his face is shivering a lot. This is how bad it is at my tv. I tried to describe it as accurate than I can with words. Does this sounds familiar to you too?

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen

Using my 3050 card. first choosing best quality setting in madvr jriver setting and then go into madvr advanced setting and set it at pixel shader and highlights recovery strenght at medium. then the card is rendering at around 14 or 15 ms. and if I tick under processing setting the artifact removals three first settings leaving the noise reduction unticked. so just the 3 other options ticked(bandig, ringing and compression artifacts ticked). I get rendering time around 30 ms so there is still headroom 41 ms. I dont think I need a new card. (now I am talking about the use of interpolation dejudder at 7 and bfi at low or medium. not using 5 pulldown because it was to bad for me. This is the best solution if my description of the scenes at covenant in prievious post is normal and not due to some kind of bad performance or a faulty of some kind which I suspect is the case. It cant be that bad I think.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up