INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding JRiver to new Mac book  (Read 912 times)

KB29R

• Recent member
Adding JRiver to new Mac book
« on: October 19, 2022, 04:59:15 am »

I'm hoping someone can be of assistance - Im trying to copy my JRiver from my iMac to MacBook Pro

can someone explain the process to me please - go easy as I'm not a computer wiz kid!

Cheers Ken

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Adding JRiver to new Mac book
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 08:02:44 am »

Install MC first, then copy the data from your old Mac.  Use exactly the same locations on the new one.  Then restore a Library Backup (see the wiki).

KB29R

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 05:36:13 pm »

Install MC first, then copy the data from your old Mac.  Use exactly the same locations on the new one.  Then restore a Library Backup (see the wiki).

Can you do us a step by step on how do do that please (Copying from iMac to MacBook) - I tried the old fashioned way with a USB stick but as soon as I unplug the USB stick there is an error message saying can't locate file - frustrating

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 12:19:26 pm »

We don't really know enough about your setup or the trouble you are having to try to help.  A real step by step guide would be nearly impossible to write.

Have you copied your music to the new MacBook Pro?  Is it in the same spot as the old music?

What problem are you having?  You mentioned a USB stick, but it's not at all clear what you experienced.

Brian.

KB29R

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 04:12:40 pm »

We don't really know enough about your setup or the trouble you are having to try to help.  A real step by step guide would be nearly impossible to write.

Have you copied your music to the new MacBook Pro?  Is it in the same spot as the old music?

What problem are you having?  You mentioned a USB stick, but it's not at all clear what you experienced.

Brian.

First things first - how do I copy to new MacBook ? and how would I know whether its in the same spot?

I've tried copying but when I try and play a tune on the new MacBook its saying file could not be found

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 04:36:55 pm »

I answered above.  The locations would need to be identical on the new machine.  Use Google if you don't know how to copy files between machines.

Read the wiki topic called Moving Files.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 04:40:27 pm »

It sounds like maybe you have copied your music files.  The normal ways might include using an external drive, or using Migration Assistant, or restoring a Time Machine backup.

Do you know where your music files are on the new system?  Can you see some of them to verify they are there?  If so, it sounds like maybe MC is pointing to the wrong place.  I.E. they were in a different folder on the iMac than they are on the MacBook Pro.

That's step 1.  Copying your files to the new computer and knowing where they are.

Next steps might include installing MC on the new system, licensing it, and then restoring a database backup that you made on the old MC on your iMac.

Brian.

KB29R

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 05:01:51 pm »

It sounds like maybe you have copied your music files.  The normal ways might include using an external drive, or using Migration Assistant, or restoring a Time Machine backup.

Do you know where your music files are on the new system?  Can you see some of them to verify they are there?  If so, it sounds like maybe MC is pointing to the wrong place.  I.E. they were in a different folder on the iMac than they are on the MacBook Pro.

That's step 1.  Copying your files to the new computer and knowing where they are.

Next steps might include installing MC on the new system, licensing it, and then restoring a database backup that you made on the old MC on your iMac.

Brian.

Thanks for your patience - I've managed to fix it but don't ask me how!

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 07:52:19 pm »

Glad to hear you got it going.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up