INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: MakeMKV Improvements  (Read 6071 times)

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
NEW: MakeMKV Improvements
« on: November 08, 2022, 06:16:30 pm »

MakeMKV support was added in MC28 and has received more improvements in MC30.  MC28 added the ability to rip decrypted video titles from DVD and Blu-ray discs using MakeMKV on Windows.  More details can be found here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129152.0.html

New in Media Center 30
Ability to make full DVD and Blu-ray disc backups using MakeMKV on Windows (MakeMKV Backup).

Full disc backups allow users to create a full backup of a disc, preserving the internal file structure, with the option to decrypt the video files as well. This allows users to take advantage of all the features on the disc, including menus, particularly with Blu-ray discs. The decryption option also allows these backups to be played without requiring a decryption engine running in the background.

Expert mode profile support, so users with custom configuration profiles will be able to select them at the title selection dialog when ripping titles using MakeMKV.

Disc title ripping using MakeMKV to MC30 for mac.

Title ripping using MakeMKV is expected for MC30 Linux.

slerch666

• World Citizen
Re: NEW: MakeMKV Improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 02:32:52 pm »

Expert mode profile support, so users with custom configuration profiles will be able to select them at the title selection dialog when ripping titles using MakeMKV.
Sorry to bump an old thread but a question about Profiles.

If I want to create a new profile, do I create it in the same directory as I do in MakeMKV and it will just read from there or is there somewhere else it needs to be placed?

With this, I think I will probably stop using standalone MakeMKV now, which is good.

BradATIMA

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 04:04:44 pm »

Sorry to bump an old thread but a question about Profiles.

If I want to create a new profile, do I create it in the same directory as I do in MakeMKV and it will just read from there or is there somewhere else it needs to be placed?

With this, I think I will probably stop using standalone MakeMKV now, which is good.

You would create a new profile as you would have before. Media Center gets the list of profiles from MakeMKV.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 05:41:53 pm »

Not a biggie, but is the MC MakeMKV BD Backup limited to one disc at a time?  I've three ODD and tried to rip 3 discs but the rip option did not appear when loading the 2nd and 3rd discs.  Note: I can rip multiple discs either with MC and AnyDVD running in the background or through MakeMKV GUI directly (just not with MC).
JRiver CEO Elect

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 07:13:50 am »

You would create a new profile as you would have before. Media Center gets the list of profiles from MakeMKV.
Then I guess I can retire my MakeMKV process.

Thanks!

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 02:51:29 pm »

Here's my use case...

I want to use MakeMKV within MC with unencrypted DVD ISO files that I have.

There is no DVD in the optical drive.  The options for Options>CD, DVD & BD are all "Do nothing" as I do not want MC dealing with the optical drive.

Here is what I tried...

Tools> Rip disc

I see a Rip Disc action box on the lower left.   But it seems to want me to insert an optical disc and provides no way for me to select an ISO file.

What am I missing?

thx.
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 09:34:11 pm »

And if I may add, part of my use case....

I have the box-set for the TV series West Wing.  A decade ago, I took the endeavor to move to ISO files all the DVDs I own.

And, for this particular box-set, it is good that I moved the DVDs to ISO files.  Because a few of the DVDs in the box set no longer play. There seems to be some manner of corrosion around the edges of the DVDs that seem to upset my DVD player (photos upon request).  The DVD player won't play some of the DVDs of my box set.

So it seems to be a good thing that I converted those DVDs of that box set to ISO files years ago.

But now i want to use MakeMKV within MC to split out the shows.

OK, maybe more than you didn't ask to know....

:)

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 11:36:20 pm »

Here is what I tried...

Tools> Rip disc

I see a Rip Disc action box on the lower left.   But it seems to want me to insert an optical disc and provides no way for me to select an ISO file.

What am I missing?

thx.
Well, although I never use Make MKV, I assume that it cannot work with an *.iso file as that most likely is only data for it, not a disc. You should mount the disc *.iso in either Windows directly or using tools like Virtual CloneDrive for instance. Then, the *.iso file becomes a disc, and other tools should be able to work with it like it were a real disc. Did you try this?
END OF LINE.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 01:07:33 am »

Well, although I never use Make MKV, I assume that it cannot work with an *.iso file as that most likely is only data for it, not a disc.

I have used MakeMKV with ISO files, and it works.  But my comment here is about ... how to get MakeMKV to work in this specific instance.

You should mount the disc ... Did you try this?

Yeah, that's the problem.

As I noted in my prior comment, the disc has deteriorated to the point that it cannot be read. 

So the old ISO files I created years ago seem to be the only way I can view the discs that I have purchased.

I don't want to have to purchase a second copy of what I have already purchased in order to view what I have purchased.

So, yeah, I can watch the ISO files via VLC.

But I am asking about the ability of MC to interpret (yeah, let's go with that) the ISO files via MakeMKV and produce the usual wonders taht MC produces.

See, it's a simple request

All I am asking of MC of to produce magic in my eyes.

The awesome folk behind MC have done that in the past.... :)

(OK, I'm joking a bit here, but ya gotta say... JRiver Media Center Software is nothing less than awesome in the current world of media-related software.)

Really, take a bow.

OK, that aside.... :)

How soon before the MC intereaction with MakeMKV can deal with ISO files?

(asking for a friend....)

:)

=========

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 08:58:26 am »

I have used MakeMKV with ISO files, and it works.  But my comment here is about ... how to get MakeMKV to work in this specific instance.

Yeah, that's the problem.

As I noted in my prior comment, the disc has deteriorated to the point that it cannot be read. 
[...]
Good to know that that would usually work. The other part was a typo on my end, sorry. Of course I meant that you should mount the *.iso and try. I read and noted that the real discs are partially "dead". So, you're basically asking that MC's MakeMKV should allow for functionality that the stand-alone version provides?
END OF LINE.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 01:16:29 pm »

...So, you're basically asking that MC's MakeMKV should allow for functionality that the stand-alone version provides?

I'd phrase that as, "So, you're basically asking that MC's MakeMKV should use the functionality that the stand-alone version provides?"

But, yes.  :)

=========

BradATIMA

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 04:41:54 pm »

If you're looking to rip titles from an ISO using MakeMKV in Media Center, this should already work as long as the ISO is mounted. If I double click an ISO from the file explorer so it tries to play in Media Center, it will show up under Drives & Devices. If I select the mounted ISO there, I can Rip using MakeMKV.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 12:53:12 pm »

If you're looking to rip titles from an ISO using MakeMKV in Media Center, this should already work as long as the ISO is mounted.

Thanks for the instructions.

I'll give it a try when I have some time to play (probably this weekend).

thx again!

=========

BradATIMA

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 03:13:17 pm »

Thanks for the instructions.

I'll give it a try when I have some time to play (probably this weekend).

thx again!

We do understand the suggestion, though. It would be easier to be able to just select titles to rip from an ISO without having to mount it, but this method should work for now though.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 06:20:52 pm »

We do understand the suggestion, though.  It would be easier to be able to just select titles to rip from an ISO without having to mount it...

Thanks.  imo, that would be the ideal solution.

, but this method should work for now though.

I agree.  Let's document the steps...

I had a few minutes to play, here's what I did.

I used an ISO.  When I double-cliced on it, VLC launched, playing th ISO.   Oops, that's the file association for ISOs on my PC.  I don't want to change that.

So I went exploring for a different approach.

I OMB (other mouse button) on the ISO file in Windows Explorer to bring up the Context menu. 

From there I selected Open with>Windows Explorer

OK, I now see the ISO mounted on the f: drive.  In Windows Explorer, when I click on that drive, I see the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS directories.

With that mounted, I then went into MC, and did Tools>Rip

I then saw the following in the lower left corner...

[OK, I cannot seem to find a way to upload an image from my desktop to this comment... :(]

Anyway, the image shows "Insert a disc and click here."  Since i had mounted a disc, I clicked there.

Resulting in one of two options presented to me...

One saying, "Multiple CDs, 1517 files  86:05:08"  And the main window sub-part shows a whole bunch of paths to mp3 files that I had not had in MC for years.

The other response seemed to be an unresponsive program.

OK, I think I have wandered into the twilight zone here.

Methinks this will take more time than I currently have available at the moment.

I'll check back this weekend with more information.  And, as an aside may I  send you image files via private messages (if that works)?   It would make it easier for me if I could.  The image file upload here on this board seems to want a URL, and I am not sure how to present a URL for a file on my desktop.   thx.

=========

BradATIMA

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 10:12:12 am »

I agree.  Let's document the steps...

Here is my process.

In the Windows file explorer, right-click on an ISO file and select 'Mount'.

After that, if you go into Media Center, in the tree view on the left side, under 'Drives & Devices' the mounted ISO should show up as an optical drive.

You can select the ISO from the tree once it shows up there as an optical drive. It's important to note that if you already had Media Center open when you mounted the ISO, you might need to hit 'Refresh' in the view header for the ISO because the data might not be analyzed yet.

Once the data does show up, you can click 'Rip Disc' in the view header for the ISO, and from there, select 'MakeMKV Rip' in the action window.

It's a temporary workaround that should work.

It's also important to remember to eject the mounted ISO from the Windows file explorer when you're done. Media Center will eject it, but it won't be ejected from the file system. To do this, you'll need to go to the 'This PC' section of the Windows file explorer. There you will see the ISO still shows as an optical drive (or it might show up as an empty optical drive). You'll need to right-click it and select 'Eject'.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 05:40:08 pm »

Here is my process.

In the Windows file explorer, right-click on an ISO file and select 'Mount'.

After that, if you go into Media Center, in the tree view on the left side, under 'Drives & Devices' the mounted ISO should show up as an optical drive....

I had a couple of minutes tonight to check in.

OK, I tried that.  Here is what I saw...

(still trying to insert an image from my desktop to a message...)

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 05:43:07 pm »

Test:

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 05:44:07 pm »

Well, that didn't work... :(

Anyone have  pointer?

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 05:50:30 pm »

Test

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2023, 05:50:57 pm »

Another dud...

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2023, 05:57:41 pm »

Apologies for the noise here.

I visited the simple machines site and saw this...

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=420365.0

...February 03, 2011, 08:05:10 PM
What if it didnt have a URL and i just wanted to put a picture in there from my computer?  would i have to transfer the image to my server and then somehow do it?

February 03, 2011, 08:07:37 PM
yes, you need to upload that image to a server,...

[sigh]

=========

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2023, 06:08:24 pm »

Edit a post and look for the option to attach a file.  There is an upload option there.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 06:12:55 pm »

Edit a post and look for the option to attach a file.  There is an upload option there.
=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2023, 06:13:38 pm »

Many thanks, Jim.  That worked!

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2023, 06:16:23 pm »

Apologies for that sideshow... :)

But if you notice the context menu, there is not a "Mount" option.

=========

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2023, 10:20:06 pm »

Are you right clicking on an ISO?

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2023, 10:48:10 pm »

Are you right clicking on an ISO?

"right-clicking"

To be specific....

I am left-handed (I know, weird...), and that is why I use the "OMB" (other mouse button) paradigm to describe my action.   

But yes. and more important, I am clicking the mouse button to bring up the context menu for the ISO file.

And that image is what i see.

I will note that I do have the ISO file extention assigned to VLC in my Windows installation (which is noted in the image I posted.)

As i have stated in a prior comment, I do not want to change that association.

How else can I help?

thnks.

=========

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2023, 01:28:53 am »

Right/omb click -> open with -> windows explorer

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2023, 02:35:13 am »

Right/omb click -> open with -> windows explorer

Yep, I documented that.

Please see my comment on this thread from Feb 1.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134411.msg935163.html#msg935163

Where I said...

"I OMB (other mouse button) on the ISO file in Windows Explorer to bring up the Context menu.

From there I selected Open with>Windows Explorer

OK, I now see the ISO mounted on the f: drive.  In Windows Explorer, when I click on that drive, I see the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS directories.
"

=========

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2023, 04:01:30 am »

Sorry, I missed that. The "Mount" menu option described by Brad does the same as Open with Explorer, it's just probably added by some 3rd party tool like Virtual CloneDrive that simulates a physical drive.

Please note the rest of Brad's comment, try doing that instead of Tools->Rip:
After that, if you go into Media Center, in the tree view on the left side, under 'Drives & Devices' the mounted ISO should show up as an optical drive.

You can select the ISO from the tree once it shows up there as an optical drive. It's important to note that if you already had Media Center open when you mounted the ISO, you might need to hit 'Refresh' in the view header for the ISO because the data might not be analyzed yet.

Once the data does show up, you can click 'Rip Disc' in the view header for the ISO, and from there, select 'MakeMKV Rip' in the action window.

If that fails, you can give Virtual CloneDrive or WinCDEmu (opensource) a go - they simulate a physical drive and can usually fool apps like MC.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2023, 11:05:16 am »

Sorry, I missed that. The "Mount" menu option described by Brad does the same as Open with Explorer, it's just probably added by some 3rd party tool like Virtual CloneDrive that simulates a physical drive.

If that fails, you can give Virtual CloneDrive or WinCDEmu (opensource) a go - they simulate a physical drive and can usually fool apps like MC.

Thanks for reminding me to read the rest of Brad's comment.  Earlier, I had not gotten past the "Mount" part.

Yes, the sequence in Brad's comment (using "Open with Windows Explorer" instead of "Mount") worked.

After upgrading to the current version of MakeMKV (which the MC error message nicely pointed out I had to do), Brad's instructions worked.  I wound up with the nn.mkv files in the video tree.

Having the .mkv files loaded in MC direct from MakeMKV makes it a lot easier to assign season/episode numbers to the files so that I can use "Get Movie & TV Info" to fill out the rest of the episode information (episode titles, images, actors, etc.).

Many thanks to zybex and BradATIMA for hanging in there and helping me work through this.

=========

BradATIMA

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2023, 06:14:57 pm »

Thank you for adding that. It's most likely MiniTools Partition Wizard giving me that option. I also forgot to mention that the Tools->Rip route won't work in this case. In the future, it could be an entry point to ripping titles from an ISO, but I couldn't say when just yet.

I'm glad that this is working for now.

Snix

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2023, 02:45:34 am »

Full disc backups allow users to create a full backup of a disc, preserving the internal file structure, with the option to decrypt the video files as well. This allows users to take advantage of all the features on the disc, including menus, particularly with Blu-ray discs. The decryption option also allows these backups to be played without requiring a decryption engine running in the background.

This is great - thanks, but I may be missing something. Once the disc is backup up to the ISO, is there an easy way to play it in JRiver?

A suggestion for ripping discs (not backup), is there an easy way to play the videos listed in the ripping menu? I like to rip all the extras and can be hard to work out what they are, and hence issues with naming them correctly. A popup playback window for that track usually could show what it is.

BradATIMA

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2023, 08:18:10 am »

This is great - thanks, but I may be missing something. Once the disc is backup up to the ISO, is there an easy way to play it in JRiver?

You can play ISO files in Media Center, but to do this, you need to make sure it's mounted. The previous few posts cover this, but you would use the Play option instead of ripping.

A suggestion for ripping discs (not backup), is there an easy way to play the videos listed in the ripping menu? I like to rip all the extras and can be hard to work out what they are, and hence issues with naming them correctly. A popup playback window for that track usually could show what it is.

This request you would probably need to make to MakeMKV.

Snix

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2023, 08:52:03 pm »

Thanks BradATIMA, mounting the ISO is what I currently do, was hoping it could all be done within JRiver now... For the video playback when ripping, I asked this of MakeMKV a long time ago, wasn't something they were planning sadly. What I do at the moment is load the disc and play it back within JRiver, then using MakeMKV rip the extras with the right name once I've worked out what the file actually is. Was hoping to streamline that some more!

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2023, 07:47:25 am »

The only product I've found that does this is DVD Fab.
The problem with DVD Fab is it is slow and removes you from the all in one solution for MC.

Results are the same as best I can tell.

And getting DVD Fab to the ripping phase, to me, feels to take a lot longer for not enough pay off.

eve

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2023, 12:53:27 pm »

Essentially, the way I've addressed this for myself is referencing the DVDCompare Database. It's not always going to be helpful but most recent additions have the runtime of each extra. I toyed with using the info to 'fill' them automatically but there's enough variation in time on DVD Compare vs time you'll get from MakeMKV (some people have calculated their runtime including little bumpers at the end for copyright for example) that it ends up being a little wonky.

Snix

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2023, 06:35:57 pm »

The only product I've found that does this is DVD Fab.
The problem with DVD Fab is it is slow and removes you from the all in one solution for MC.

Results are the same as best I can tell.

And getting DVD Fab to the ripping phase, to me, feels to take a lot longer for not enough pay off.

Thanks for this, I've tried DVDFab before, same issues as you. MakeMKV is my favourite. I don't think there is any difference to the output either.

Essentially, the way I've addressed this for myself is referencing the DVDCompare Database. It's not always going to be helpful but most recent additions have the runtime of each extra. I toyed with using the info to 'fill' them automatically but there's enough variation in time on DVD Compare vs time you'll get from MakeMKV (some people have calculated their runtime including little bumpers at the end for copyright for example) that it ends up being a little wonky.

I hadn't heard of that, will check it out. Many thanks Eve!
Pages: [1]   Go Up