INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Rip with MakeMKV  (Read 17520 times)

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
NEW: Rip with MakeMKV
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:55:05 pm »

Description
JRiver Media Center 28 for Windows has a new option to rip DVDs and Blu-Ray with MakeMKV if MakeMKV is installed on the machine.

This option is currently only available on the Windows version.  You must have MakeMKV version 1.16.0 or later installed.

Instructions
To rip using MakeMKV, click on 'Rip Disc' in the Action Window.  JRiver Media Center will check to make sure the appropriate version of MakeMKV is present. If the conditions are met, a new button will appear in the Rip Disc action window to 'Rip with MakeMKV'. Clicking 'Rip with MakeMKV' will send a command to open and scan the disc for titles. When it's done, Media Center will create a dialog displaying the list of titles. Check the titles in the dialog to select which to rip and click OK to start ripping with MakeMKV. The ripped files will be saved to the appropriate folder set in Media Center.

Multiple optical drives are supported and can be ripped from simultaneously.

Some settings will need to be set in MakeMKV. Currently, Media Center will rip with MakeMKV using the default MakeMKV profile. MakeMKV profile support will likely be added later for users using expert mode in MakeMKV.

Note: If you're having trouble ripping Blu-Ray with an unlicensed version of MakeMKV, you will need to use the temporary beta activation key that can be obtained on the MakeMKV forum.

MakeMKV Download Link

datdude

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: Rip with MakeMKV
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:37:07 pm »

This is great news! I'm hoping this feature can be added to Theater View.

FYI, I tried using the MCC command for rip disc and it does not bring up the the option for MakeMKV.

Where is the option to set the location for the video rip? I tried setting the "Other Video" location, but MC just used my default "videos" folder under my profile name.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 06:16:43 pm »

Options > File Locations > Ripped BD

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 06:18:54 pm »

Clicking 'Rip with MakeMKV' will send a command to open and scan the disc for titles. When it's done, Media Center will create a dialog displaying the list of titles. Check the titles in the dialog to select which to rip and click OK to start ripping with MakeMKV. The ripped files will be saved to the appropriate folder set in Media Center.
the MC dialog just shows the title list whereas makemkv itself can also show additional information about each title (such as the mpls) in the text area to the right of its title list, IME this info can be v important for picking the right titles to rip so would be worth showing this somewhere if possible.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 06:21:18 pm »

Options > File Locations > Ripped BD

Thanks Jim. I had the feature disabled, even though I could still rip from the action window. Checking that box and restarting brought back the file location for bd rips.

BradATIMA

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:00:55 pm »

the MC dialog just shows the title list whereas makemkv itself can also show additional information about each title (such as the mpls) in the text area to the right of its title list, IME this info can be v important for picking the right titles to rip so would be worth showing this somewhere if possible.

We'll try to expand on the information for each title. There are still a few more improvements planned for this feature.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 07:03:51 pm »

I was able to get mine working by using a license we'd received from makeMKV.   Nothing else would work for ripping BD's, though DVD's did work without it.

Here's what Brad sent me when he was trying to help:

"I was reading over the MakeMKV forum and found this thread:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14668

"It's the same issue I ran into in the beginning, and I'm guessing it's what you're running into. It sounds like it's because MakeMKV is in beta right now so it forgets the trial period was activated when MakeMKV is closed.
Supposedly, you can resolve it by using the temporary beta key Mike provides here:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 "

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 01:44:58 am »

We'll try to expand on the information for each title. There are still a few more improvements planned for this feature.
Ok thanks. Is one of those improvements being able to select/lookup metadata (via the get movie and TV info dialog) for individual titles at rip time? For me this is the multi episode disc use case again

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 06:57:33 am »

It looks like there is some resource leak using makemkv to rip as I can see 10s (about 50) of child makemkv processes resident in memory (listed under MC in process explorer) when I'm not performing any ripping activity. These are only released after close down media server itself. I can see it creates these child processes even if I don't use the makemkv option.

EDIT: I can see it creates 4 such child processes when I click the rip button and 2 more a bit later when I interact with the rip options, i.e. 6 child processes per disk ripped. Processes are not cleaned up until mc server is killed. No attempt is made to use the makemkv option during this.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 07:29:28 pm »

Does this mean that MC can also play a BD using MakeMKV as the decryptor? I've never got that Integration thing to work in MakeMKV.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 05:01:38 am »

Does this mean that MC can also play a BD using MakeMKV as the decryptor? I've never got that Integration thing to work in MakeMKV.

In menu mode that should work if the integration is setup (should have ever since menus were added, too). In title mode i'm not sure, its on my list to rewrite.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 12:34:14 pm »

Thanks, Hendrik. The decryption feature in MakeMKV has never worked for me and I am not sure what I might be doing wrong. I Might need to post on the makemkv forums.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 03:57:37 am »

a few more suggested improvements

* don't block the UI thread while reading a disc, this is particularly annoying on those discs that are really slow to parse (usually ones makemkv logs as having a "complex multiplex")
* if possible, show a progress bar on how far it has got through the disc (also important for the slow parse case but also helps to see if something is actually stuck vs just slow)
* allow movie metadata to feed the title naming, for example if I rip a DVD then I currently end up with something like /FilmName/title_t00.mkv whereas I'd prefer /FilmName/FilmName.mkv so I still have to do a rename after ripping (would be particularly beneficial if we can get support for matching titles to episodes for TV)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 09:15:51 am »

Is it possible to do full backups instead of ripping to MKV, using MakeMKV?
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 11:42:32 pm »

Tried this out on a couple of NEW 4k discs. On both discs, I got a message asking if I wanted to overwrite an existing file with the same name, even though these are new discs and there are no files with the same or even similar names.

BradATIMA

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 04:57:16 pm »

Is it possible to do full backups instead of ripping to MKV, using MakeMKV?

Not yet, but it could be added later.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 08:10:04 am »

For users with MakeMKV installed, JRiver Media Center 28 for Windows will have a new option to rip DVDs and Blu-Ray with MakeMKV.

This option is currently only available on the Windows version.  You must have MakeMKV version 1.16.0 or later installed.

Download MakeMKV
The link above is "suspended" ??

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 08:17:30 am »

The link above is "suspended" ??
been down for a few days apparently, can get the latest exe via the wayback machine atm (for windows at least)

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25143

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 08:42:52 am »

Or  the very helpful Videohelp website.  Just ripped a DVD and it works!

Option to select languages and formats, subtitles etc... is a must.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised to see an option like this being implemented before many others that would be more helpful IMHO such as handheld sync and camera import improvements, lyrics display etc... Don't get me wrong I do appreciate anything making MC better.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 08:29:40 am »

Would be great to have an option to not import. i re-encode all of my rips and so rip them to a location outside of MC's watchfolders.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 04:45:36 pm »

Since no one else is reporting this issue, there must be something wrong with my setup. Whenever I rip a new 4k discs in MC using MakeMKV, I ALWAYS get the prompt asking me if I'd like to overwrite a file with the same name, even though the disc is new and no file with the same name exists.

Maybe it's a settings in MC?

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 07:16:05 pm »

There's an easy solution to the MakeMKV "beta expired" problem. BUY A COPY. All functionality is then yours forever.

I did that when MakeMKV was a new product, and it's been a solid investment. I use it all the time.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 08:45:22 pm »

There's an easy solution to the MakeMKV "beta expired" problem. BUY A COPY. All functionality is then yours forever.

I did that when MakeMKV was a new product, and it's been a solid investment. I use it all the time.

+1 It's been a good investment for me too, one off fee with continual development.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Manfred

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 03:34:18 pm »

If one use MC in a client server config could I use makeMKV directly from the client or must I switch to the main library?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

BradATIMA

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 04:17:12 pm »

If one use MC in a client server config could I use makeMKV directly from the client or must I switch to the main library?

I haven't tested this, but it likely depends on which machine MakeMKV is installed on. Media Center needs to be able to find MakeMKV for this to work.

Manfred

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2021, 03:08:24 am »

I haven't tested this, but it likely depends on which machine MakeMKV is installed on. Media Center needs to be able to find MakeMKV for this to work.
I have two machines a server with MC and 46 TB storage and a workstation with an MC Client. On the Client MakeMKV is installed.

My current workflow is: rip everything on the MC client (workstation), fix the naming eg. Series Name.SxxExx.Episode and then move it to the destination folder on the server.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

BradATIMA

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 07:58:28 am »

I have two machines a server with MC and 46 TB storage and a workstation with an MC Client. On the Client MakeMKV is installed.

My current workflow is: rip everything on the MC client (workstation), fix the naming eg. Series Name.SxxExx.Episode and then move it to the destination folder on the server.

That should work fine.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 03:58:38 pm »

Still getting a prompt asking if I want to overwrite a file with the same name. See attached screenshot. Not sure why that is happening since there are no other files with the same name. When I select, Yes, the rip of course works, but nothing is overwritten. If I select No, I can't change the file name in the MC tag properties anyways since it is BDMV at this point.

Also a few feature requests:
  • Add rip option to TheaterView like CDs
  • Play a chime and eject disc after finishing like CDs
  • Probably not possible, but would be nice if it could prompt to install new versions of MakeMKV

Ekpen

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 07:54:47 pm »

Hello:
I have been ripping with makemkv since 2011,
with Windows,and later with Ubuntu.
I am setup for triple discs, Pioneer, LG,and Asus.
Based on what I ripped, each going to individual folders e.g 1080p, goes to a 2D folder, uhd goes to uhd area, and recently Dolby Vision goes to specified folder, I just in Ubuntu manually browse to already created folder and  rip.
So I would suggest "Ask" at rip time will probably be more flexible regardless of the operating system.
In Ubuntu, the folder icon will show up, to enable you to browse and select.
Thanks.
George

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 09:35:09 pm »

One other thing I noticed is that new rips do not go through the normal import rules I've set under Auto Import. I have to manually do some tagging now.

NorthGeorgiaWX

• Recent member
  • It's a jeep thing... you wouldn't understand
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 07:59:25 pm »

Just tried with a paid copy of MakeMKV and it goes through the motions like it's going to work, but it never gets past 0% and then reports the rip is complete.

BradATIMA

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2021, 06:34:03 pm »

Just tried with a paid copy of MakeMKV and it goes through the motions like it's going to work, but it never gets past 0% and then reports the rip is complete.

This will be fixed in 28.0.32.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2021, 05:59:30 pm »

This should be working now in 28.0.32:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129877.0.html

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2021, 03:54:49 pm »

If ripping fails, MC still reports success and imports the file, even though it's unplayable. I had to attempt the rip in MakeMKV itself to find out what was going wrong.

Also, the Rip dialog box prompts for a name for the movie, but then when you select which tracks to rip it just defaults back to a "title0.mkv" name. Can this default to the name given in the first step, with a track number appended if necessary?

BradATIMA

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 09:41:59 am »

If ripping fails, MC still reports success and imports the file, even though it's unplayable. I had to attempt the rip in MakeMKV itself to find out what was going wrong.

There are some cases where MakeMKV doesn't return an error, and if it doesn't return an error, Media Center will assume the ripping was successful. What was the error you ran into?

Also, the Rip dialog box prompts for a name for the movie, but then when you select which tracks to rip it just defaults back to a "title0.mkv" name. Can this default to the name given in the first step, with a track number appended if necessary?

This can probably be added.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2021, 10:12:20 am »

There are some cases where MakeMKV doesn't return an error, and if it doesn't return an error, Media Center will assume the ripping was successful. What was the error you ran into?

In this case it was disc read errors due to a scratch on the disc.

This can probably be added.

I realized last night that this does work, sometimes. It's the same behavior as MakeMKV I think where some discs are encoded differently and the tracks all show up with the disc title already in their filename. I had a movie last night that did populate the title as I described above, but many just default back to the generic title_0.mkv naming.

Thanks!

BradATIMA

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2021, 06:10:34 pm »

In this case it was disc read errors due to a scratch on the disc.

I realized last night that this does work, sometimes. It's the same behavior as MakeMKV I think where some discs are encoded differently and the tracks all show up with the disc title already in their filename. I had a movie last night that did populate the title as I described above, but many just default back to the generic title_0.mkv naming.

Thanks!

That makes sense. It doesn't really return success report at the end. We can try to improve the reporting at the end.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 09:01:11 pm »

It would be awesome if you could. I generally spot-check everything I rip along every step of the way anyway, so if it's not something MakeMKV will allow it's not the end of the world. Could MC somehow enable and tail MakeMKV's debug log?

And I realized that I don't care as much about the file naming thing as I thought. I was thinking too much like my old process of running MakeMKV myself and having to manage all the resulting files. Since MC's library is so powerful, I can more easily keep track of what's ripped, what's transcoded, etc. without worrying at all about the filename until the very end.

However, I'm not having much luck with ripping TV episodes as I'd like. I need to experiment with it some more but it seems to always be more opinionated towards movies during the metadata lookup and doesn't return TV series at all. I always just skip the metadata lookup for TV series discs and worry about it after the rip is done. It'd be great if I could somehow tag the tracks in the selection window with an epidsoe number and have MC handle the rest form there with looking up data. Like if it could auto assign an episode number in order for all selected tracks, and then let you adjust them from there.

All in all this a fantastic addition! This will greatly streamline my workflow once I get the kinks worked out.

Marpow

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2021, 11:09:19 am »

This sounds good, will give it a try.
I have been using MakeMKV for Blu Ray rips for quite awhile. I then use Music Media Helper that has a JRiver option that does the JRiver sidecar option for tagging, etc. Very useful on my Dolby Atmos Blu Ray music rips.
When an a Atmos album is ripped and you need gapless playback like Abbey Road, then the file needs to be ripped as a whole, not chapters as JRiver does not have gapless playback from the video rips (MKV Video (video:h264,audio:truehd) tab. The audio (audio only rips, DSD, FLAC, etc) tab does have the ability for gapless playback.
But for video playback, HDMI out to your receiver, USB out won't work.
It would be cool for the people who create JRiver to have gapless playback on ripped chapters to be put under the video tab, but so far the workaround is fine for me.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2021, 03:52:08 pm »

This helped me make quick work of ripping all of my girlfriend's DVDs. Awesome job!

Now I'm trying to rip some of my UHD discs and I'm running into some issues. For some discs there are no problems at all, others however give MakeMKV a bit of a hard time when building the list of tracks, and during those times MC's main window is completely unresponsive and eventually starts triggering the Windows "Close or Wait for program" dialog to pop up. If I use MakeMKV directly, even though it may take a really long time to read the disc, it doesn't trigger the same "unresponsiveness" from Windows POV, so I've been falling back to using that when this happens, but it'd be great if MC could handle this as I much prefer using MC for this task now that I've got my MakeMKV profile setup the way I like.

One other question/request: Is there any way for MC to detect a UHD disc and offer ripping options like we have for CD/DVD/BD now, re: paths/file naming?

Thanks guys!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2021, 06:03:19 pm »

I've got a few profiles defined in MakeMKV that handle different tier movies in different ways and in MakeMKV I can choose which profile to apply which alters which tracks are selected by default and how certain track types are copied into the resulting .mkv file. Are there any plans on the roadmap to include an option to choose which profile to use?

BY96

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2021, 01:06:54 pm »

I am confused. Is there a way within JRiver's implementation of MakeMKV to chose audio tracks and subtitles like on MakeMKV? If so, I don't see it. If not, is this coming in the future?

Thanks!

BradATIMA

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 08:25:55 am »

I am confused. Is there a way within JRiver's implementation of MakeMKV to chose audio tracks and subtitles like on MakeMKV? If so, I don't see it. If not, is this coming in the future?

Thanks!

Yes. It will be in an upcoming update.

BY96

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2021, 12:46:37 pm »

Excellent! Right now, if I select the file I want, it will just include all the audio tracks and subtitles?

Also, when the more specific selection process is implemented, might I suggest "select all" and "unselect all" options? I find the absence of those to be annoying with MakeMKV, especially when I don't want 50 different subtitles included.

Thanks!

BY96

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2021, 06:15:57 pm »

I updated to 28.0.63 today and when I went to rip a disc, it now has the feature to select audio tracks and subtitles, and it has "select all" and "unselect all" features as well! This is awesome!!!

The one think I thought was missing was information about the different files appearing, but I then learned to just hover my cursor over the file names and the needed info appeared.

Love this new feature of JRiver. So much easier to automatically bring into my library and have the movie info and artwork already loaded before I rip the movie! Thank you!!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2021, 06:10:55 pm »

Appreciate the recent new features including the scan disc in background which makes the overall process much faster and the ability to auto eject after rip! This is definitely the best way to rip blu-rays!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2021, 02:44:48 pm »

A question about this new feature. I have used it to rip to mkvs within MC. However, if we choose to rip a BluRay (not using MakeMKV), will MC still use the decrypting functions of MakeMKV when ripping to a BD folder structure?

BradATIMA

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2021, 03:02:35 pm »

A question about this new feature. I have used it to rip to mkvs within MC. However, if we choose to rip a BluRay (not using MakeMKV), will MC still use the decrypting functions of MakeMKV when ripping to a BD folder structure?

This feature should not affect ripping DVDs or Blu-Rays when not using the 'Rip with MakeMKV' option.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2021, 03:10:32 pm »

This feature should not affect ripping DVDs or Blu-Rays when not using the 'Rip with MakeMKV' option.

I mean can we use MakeMKV as the decryptor instead of DVD Fab or AnyDVD?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2021, 06:15:53 pm »

Can expert mode profiles be supported? I've recently started ripping some new discs again and when I use MakeMKV directly, it lets me choose one of my user-defined profiles to control which tracks and languages are selected. I can configure it to select only lossless audio tracks, multi-core audio or stereo, etc. I've unfortunately reverted to using MakeMKV directly again instead of MC for ripping because most UHD discs have numerous audio/subtitle tracks for several different languages so selecting the correct ones is more easily accomplished in MakeMKV.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up