INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full screen video lock on M1 Mac, forced to quit app to get out  (Read 749 times)

ekimvf

• Recent member
Full screen video lock on M1 Mac, forced to quit app to get out
« on: December 02, 2022, 11:48:34 am »

Hi everyone,
Long time Media Center user here. Enjoyed it on Windows for too long to remember. These forums have always been a tremendous help, I could always find help on anything I needed. But this time I can't, which I find strange.
I recently acquired a new M1 Mac mini and installed Media Center on it. I use Media Center to watch videos and movies. I run a media server from a Windows PC to stream the content to others on the network. Unfortunately I ran into problems on the Mac, specifically when switching to full screen view. The video files will play fine as long as they're in a window inside Media Center. I can double-click on it to go full screen, and the video keeps playing fine, but once I do that I can never leave. Double-clicking from full screen just makes the video image smaller and surrounded by a white background. If I stop the video, I remain in this white screen and can't do anything to go back to the normal window interface and am forced to use cmd-q to quit the app to get out of it. I've tried detaching the display, but that gives me more or less the same result.
Thinking this could be an issue with the media server, I tried using local files, but same thing happens.
I'm including a couple screenshots, hopefully someone will know what's going on. I'm hoping it's some silly option I need to toggle, but so far this has baffled me...

Oh and I've tried this on the latest stable version 30.0.25, and on the latest non-stable version 30.0.38, still the same
I even went as far as installing the last version 29 to see if that would work, but got the same result

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Full screen video lock on M1 Mac, forced to quit app to get out
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 06:08:50 pm »

Can't reproduce this on the same machine and OS.
Maybe check the video settings?
Should be set to JRVR and for me both hardware and no hardware acceleration works.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 09:12:51 pm »

You might try going back to Standard View using Command-1 .  Command-3 will take you to Display View, which is "full screen video" mode. 

Are you using multiple monitors?  My work Mac is a MacBook Pro and is connected to several external displays.  When I try to do full screen video on that Mac it gets very weird and only displays part of the video on the main (external) monitor.  I have almost no need for video on that Mac, so I just ignore the weirdness.  I was just wondering if the behavior I have seen is similar to what you see.

Otherwise, on my M1 Mac mini, with one display it all works as expected.  Display View works normally and switching back to Standard View works too.

Brian.

ekimvf

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 09:47:41 am »

Video settings are all default. I did try using the cmd-1, 2 and 3 shortcuts but still the same, can't escape full screen, getting a blank screen. I can still see the video, but I just can't get out of full screen and back to normal display view until I force-quit the app.

I'm working with an ultrawide monitor (2560x1080) and am wondering if that's the issue. Everything else seems to check out.

ekimvf

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 06:54:41 pm »

Been playing around a bit more and I realized that this doesn't have anything to do with playing videos. This happens just by going to Display or Theater View. From there, if I try and switch back to Standard view, or any other view for that matter, the screen remain blank and the interface is not visible. Only way out is to force-quit the app.
I include screenshots of some of my settings.
I'm using an LG 34GL750 Ultrawide monitor at a resolution of 2560 x 1080 at 144hz, not using HDR
Using MC Build 30.0.25
Mac OS 13.0.1 (22A400)

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 08:39:48 pm »

ekimvf

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 08:34:52 am »

Tried it, same result

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 07:45:46 pm »

I'm working with an ultrawide monitor (2560x1080) and am wondering if that's the issue. Everything else seems to check out.

My main MC system uses an ultra wide monitor also.  The resolution on mine is 3440 x 1440 .  I don't have the issue you are reporting.  Just a data point that at least one ultra wide monitor, on Mac, with MC30 works as expected.

Brian.

ekimvf

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 08:56:10 pm »

Thanks for the info Brian.
I'm baffled as to why I'm having this issue.
I uninstalled, removed all library files and reinstalled and getting this problem right out of the box.
Outside of this everything works well :-\

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 07:01:36 am »

Sounds like it's time for you to produce a log file.  That might show the developers something "under the hood" that will give them some clues.

Here's how logging works in MC:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

Best of luck.

Brian.

ekimvf

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 09:51:44 pm »

Log attached
Basically started playing a video, went in full screen (Display view), then stopped it. Was stuck, no interface. Force quite. Started app again to get the log.

ekimvf

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 02:17:02 pm »

FYI for anyone that's interested, my issues seem fixed with the latest version, 30.0.41
Pages: [1]   Go Up