INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Wish List  (Read 6029 times)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Current Wish List
« on: December 01, 2002, 06:40:11 pm »

Just added another two...

Current Wish List:

The hot topic for me this weekend has been CD burning.  I'm trying to create a compilation CD where a few of the tracks need to be completely gapless (as they were on the original CD).  It seems that I can make this happen if I set the playback options to cross-fade at 0.2 seconds and check the "Do not play silence..." option then use the playback options when I burn the CD.  Only one problem...  Other tracks on the CD sound terrible with this option.  For instance, the fast attack of the horns at the start of Chicago's "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" is muted by the crossfade.  The top item on my wishlist therefore remains...

• Burn Lists.
    Save cd cover layout,
    CD-TEXT Artist and Title,
    CD-TEXT track name format string  I.E.  "[ARTIST] / [NAME]"
    track by track crossfade or gap, equalizer, replay gain, etc.
    directory formats for data CDs,
    etc, etc.
    Pick a list, send to the burner and get the same results every time.

• New: The disposition of the source and destination file for a conversion should be specified separately:  For the source file: Keep, Uncatalog, Uncatalog and Delete.  For the destination: Catalog, Don't Catalog.

• New: Calculated database fields talked about  here.  I'd also ask for the ability to specify a default value when defining the field.  I.E.  The default for my new "Album Artist" field would be "[Artist]".  Then I can put "(Soundtrack)", "(Genre Mix)" or the like in the field for specific tracks as I see fit.

• Replay Gain.
    Customizable default for unanalyzed files and manual track specific adjustment of gain, intensity, BPM and peak level.  When analyzing large batches, you should be able to select the number of parallel analyzes to run.  

• Parallized ripper.
    Parallelize the ripping process if more than one cd reader is available AND parallelize the encoding process.  The current "rip and encode simultaneously" option is the SLOWEST of all.  See http://peakin.com/music/rip_comparison.html
    The encoding process should workd the same way for conversions.

• Optimize and debug for SMP machines (without hurting single cpu machines of course).  This is even more important now that the standard Pentium 4 processors are shipping with Hyper-Threading enabled.

• Burn CD-EXTRA format.  If MC is to handle images, this is a natural.

• Configure sort order, columns, view (thumbnail, detail) by view scheme.

• Media Server enhancements.
    Auto down-conversion
    On the fly conversion from non streaming format to streaming format.
    Customizable buffering
    Access multiple libraries

• Bulletproof Party Mode
    No library switching, no DSP changes, no media server control, no skin or plugin manager control, etc. Of course what would be better is to allow the user to select what functions a partier can perform.  

• Customizable context menus.
    The right click menu should be completely customizable for the track details window.  If that's too complicated, then at least anything you can do to an object should be in its right-click menu.  Export for individual playlists and conversion for tracks are two good examples of actions that aren't currently available on the context menus.

• Player controls more like physical players.
    A single press of Previous not within the first 2 seconds of a track should take you to the start of the current track instead of the previous track.
    Repeat 1 track or all of playing now.
    Time display relative to all of playing now, not just the current track.

• Move playlist export to playlist context menus.
    Should be able to export individual playlists as well as playlist groups in any of the supported formats to any location.  Playlist groups should be exportable as either a single concatenated playlist or separate playlists for each of its children.

• Change the behaviour of the enter key in the search bar.
    Pressing enter should commit the search criteria instead of sending the results to playing now.  You should also HAVE to press enter to commit the search criteria so the results don't keep changing as you type.

• File path settings for music base directory and cover art should be saved as part of the library, not globally.

• Database backup file names should include the library name and a sortable date.
    Instead of simply "MJ Library Backup (11-9-2002).zip" it should be
    "MyLib Library Backup (2002-11-09).zip"

• Allow the volume and mute controls to be configured to adjust the Wave/MP3 mixer input or the master out.  Currently it adjusts the mixer master out which affects all sounds coming through the sound card.

• Use full MJ client as a web remote client.  I.E. Media server except play at server instead of streaming to client.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

Re: Current Wish List
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 02:28:35 pm »

Everyone's reading this but no one's commenting so I'm just gonna say.

You got my votes for them all but for main priority and importance for me especially are:
  • 3x my vote for this one: Burning naming format from tags (ESPECIALLY when producing an error saying file name is too long.)
  • Parallized ripper
  • Configurable Sort Order
  • 2x my vote for Customizable context Menu's - especially just the main right click menu.
  • Physical player controls

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 02:55:09 pm »

>> Current Wish List
Sounds Good Make It Happen, Let me see a working copy by friday.

Listening to: 'Do It For Love' from 'The Best Of Sheena Easton' by 'Sheena Easton' on Media Jukebox Charted At 29 In 1985

I heard this song in Germany in 1986 when watching A.F.R.T.S. (I Called It A.F.R.T.P.S. "Armed Forces Radio and Television Propaganda System") on a video dance show and have loved it ever since
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 08:21:06 pm »

Hey, how come modifying a post doesn't bring the thread to the top with a "New" bullet?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 06:33:43 am »

REQUEST
  • Add a checkbox to: 'get file properties from filename' that will automatically clean the properties at the same time.
  • Move Send To/Rating to the top level when right clicking on the MJ icon in the system tray. This makes more sense seeing as the song is being played and it's a natural thing to want to be able to rate it easily and fast then. I'd personally even LOVE it if it was optional to have the rating numbers in the top level menu so I could right click on it and put it straight into the rating I wanted. It'd make it MUCH easier for me to rate my songs as I listen to them.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 10:58:05 am »

Haven't fiddled properly with MJ (oops) MC for a while now... (Yes, I'm back)...

My biggest wish is:

Allow use of ANY tags (custom, calculated, whatever!) in the naming process when ripping new files, encoding etc.

eg: I'd like to rename some of my files according to some of the fields I have for classical music:

[Composer] - [Artist] - [Name] - [Movement]

Please? :)

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 11:23:00 am »

Allow use of ANY tags (custom, calculated, whatever!) in the naming process when ripping new files, encoding etc.

Have you tried this?  It should work fine -- just type in the template you want.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 04:21:24 pm »

REQUESTS
  • File name and file path are seperated into two seperate fields.
  • Additional Toolbars with more features being able to be added directly to the toolbars for one click access to these features.
    The toolbars could be turned on or off like in Office with the seperate toolbars for Edit, Format, Insert etc. so that only people who wanted them got them. They would therefore cause NO problem to people who didn't want them.
    A good example of some of the features I'd like added are found in Dr. Tag if you look at it's 'Edit' toolbar. This makes modifying the tags, renaming the files, getting the id3 info etc. EXTREMELY fast and easy.
    Possibly even make this toolbar attached to the 'properties' panel so that it appears and disappears with the properties page, a bit like using that as a tagging studio :)

• Shortcut keys to do common tasks like: Fill properties from filename, clean track info etc.
  • The tools menu item at the top of MJ to be re-named and for the current right click 'Tools' menu to be moved to the top as well. Having two totally different menu's with the same name is confusing. Or possibly re-naming the right click one to id3 tools or something.
  • Options on the right click button when browsing my computer to 'recurse directory, etc' to allow us to have it on single directory mode but then recurse down specific trees without having to set it to do this to all trees. Currently if it's set on recurse, trying to navigate 'My Computer' can be a VERY slow task as it automatically tries to recurse all the trees.
  • Options added to the 'clean properties' page similar to those found in Dr Tag under 'Auto TAG' of allowing us to specify strings that always become/stay lower case, and ones that always become/stay upper case.
  • Intelligent 'Get Properties from filename' that analyses the tracks and tries to automatically suggest the naming format used. This shouldn't be too difficult, especially with segments like the track numbers that are always numerical and incrementing by one from song to song. Things like 'Artist' and 'Album' will also usualy remain the same.
  • A preview added to 'get properties from filename' and 'rename file from properties' that shows us a sample of what one of the tracks will look like using the format specified.
  • option for 'intelligent' 'rename file from properties' that will either skip out completely fields for files that do not  have anything set for these fields or will allow us to specify what is written in this spot.
  • 'Media Jukebox' currently seems to get written to the comment field of my mp3s. I'd like an option to specify a string that automatically gets added to the comment field of any songs that dont contain comments, as default this could still be set to say: 'Media Jukebox' but i'd like to be able to change it.
  • Option to have cover art saved in the same directory as the album.
  • Option to have a .m3u playlist file created in the naming format of my choice when an album is ripped and for it to be saved with the album.
  • Ability for MJ to save a crc checksum value for all files into the file and for this to be updated each time MJ modifies the file. MJ will therefore be able to detect any files which become corrupted and do not match their crc value. This would also obviously report files that are modified outside of MJ but this would be up to the user to decide if they ever wanted to do.

jakobluck

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2002, 03:39:54 am »

Have you tried this?  It should work fine -- just type in the template you want.

oooh. cool. i have an issue with this, though - using [BITRATE] in the template should put VBR instead of 207 or whatever for VBR mp3 files, otherwise if you're like me and like to have the bitrate in the directory name, it'll spawn a bunch of different folders for the varying bitrates instead of one.

nila

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2002, 04:10:50 pm »

REQUEST
  • Ability to choose individual icons for each file type or at the very least for each group (audio video and graphic). Also for them to say things other than: MediaJukebox File
  • Ability to set MJ to act as a 'pure database' app. ie no information is even attempted to be written to the files and any changes are purely stored in the db.

This would be IDEAL for me where I have now set up another machine in the house to access my music via a mapped drive. They have full read permissions but no write permissions. They therefore get to use MJ as if all the files are stored locally with it's full speed and features. They cant however save any tag changes to any of the files and so it'd be EXTREMELY nice to be able to set MJ to not even bother trying to save tag changes to the file but to simply save them to the db.

• Option within MJ to re-create all default view schemes and playlists with an option to remove new ones or keep new ones but simply add old ones.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2002, 04:14:04 pm »

Nila,
Have you tried Media Server?  That's more or less what it will do.  It's read only.

Jim

nila

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2002, 02:44:57 am »

REQUEST
  • Option to have cd burn list remain there after a burn. I know no other program that automatically deletes the playlist and I see no need for it. Alternately, an option for the burn list to automatically be saved to a playlist inside a playlist group (ie have it automatically saved to a playlist called 06/12/2002 - 12:47  in a group called: CD's Made)

• Ability to put view scheme groups inside of groups for even better organisation.

• Ability to link views to a 'special' Smart Playlist which is basically the current search box so that the View Scheme will change depending on whats entered into the search box. (This one would be SOOOOO powerful and cool).

Jim
    I'll give it a try although I dont think it'll do what I want as I want her to be able to modify and change the tags etc to set MJ to exactly how she likes it without it actually effecting my files. I want her to get to enjoy MJ to it's full power and potential. It will do what I'm asking automatically I think but only after trying to update the tags and failing. It will then update the db anyway. I just want it to update the db without trying to write to the files.

nila

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 06:13:39 am »

REQUEST
For the DSP Studio - For Equaliser. I'd like an option for 'Smart Equaliser Mode' whereby it automatically adjusts the Equaliser according to the current genre of the track being played. If it finds a matching genre name then it uses this for the song otherwise uses a default.

Marty3d

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2002, 09:14:34 am »

Nila: That's a great idea! (not that I have any use for it yet, my sound system suck bigtime...but a great idea anyway :) )

RemyJ

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2002, 12:26:26 pm »

REQUEST
For the DSP Studio - For Equaliser. I'd like an option for 'Smart Equaliser Mode' whereby it automatically adjusts the Equaliser according to the current genre of the track being played. If it finds a matching genre name then it uses this for the song otherwise uses a default.

That IS a cool idea!  Not that you other ideas aren't cool but this one's cooler.  ;D
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2002, 02:06:19 pm »

To elaborate on this, There could also be an option to save a graphic equaliser pre-set for each file.
i-tunes has this along with some other options that can be used for playing the file that can all be saved per file.

It's VERY powerful.

MachineHead

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2002, 02:17:04 pm »

To elaborate on this, There could also be an option to save a graphic equaliser pre-set for each file.

MJ7 had this. It was dropped.

nila

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2002, 02:30:20 pm »

Any particular reason?
It would seem like one of those things that's there for people who want it, and no one is forced to use it.
Especially with the new Properties panel, it wouldn't even have to be in the main group.

MachineHead

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2002, 04:01:13 pm »

Any particular reason?
It would seem like one of those things that's there for people who want it, and no one is forced to use it.
Especially with the new Properties panel, it wouldn't even have to be in the main group.

Part of the reason may have been the new DSP Studio. While the EQ was nice to be able and set for an individual file, the other DSP additions were deemed,  more or less,  better.

I don't know, I kind of liked the ability to tweak things for each file. They are all a little bit different. When you get it just right it is nice to have it set as you want.

Keep squeaking, the wheel may get greased yet.  ;)

nila

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2003, 04:08:02 pm »

Wahey - This is the main one I was looking for.

I remembered that we had a big wish list going at one point and I was trying to find this when I bumped into the others.

Obviously it's a bit outdated now but it still has some cool requests in it. It'd be nice if any of them were considered :)

Thats it for bumps now from me you'll be happy to hear.

Hope you consider adding some of the features  ;D

G'night and sweet dreams!  :P

RemyJ

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2003, 05:44:23 pm »

Good timing Nila.  I was just about to do this myself.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2003, 03:13:07 pm »

REQUESTS
Advanced playback controls which would include the following:
  • Tempo/pace control - for mp3's this would change the tempo and pace, for video it would act as a type of fast forward which alot of the bigger name players have and for graphic it would determin the speed between transitions.
  • ability to save the tempo/pace into the file as a field which is read then used so that for images we can say how long we want them to stay (this could be used to make pictures we especially like show for longer than the other pictures during a slide show) or for audio it would allow us to play a song at a specific tempo each time without having to permenantly alter the song itself.
  • Ability to save the graphic equaliser settings into the song itself too. For some songs you just really want that extra bass, or more treble or whatever :)
  • Scan Mode (a feature offered by most real life players)
  • Resume (again offered by most real life players)
  • Songs can have a 'next song' field in which the next song to be played is stored. The player would then remember this and obey it, even when in shuffle mode (this would be used for tracks that fade together etc where you dont want it to just cut at the end of one track but instead want them all to be played in sequence.

• Some kind of easy accessible button or right click option for zoom control. This is important for both video and pictures. Something like the numerical keyboard + and - button would work great here for zooming in and out.

• ability to set double click action for each type (video, audio, graphic) files totally seperately as they're all different types of things for which I'd want to do different things.

• A tool to swap image paths between being local or full addresses.
  • Ability to create 'smart fields' whereby the fields can be created using info from other fields.
  • Ability to resize the drop target :) and to set it independantly of any other menu so that it stays at what it's fixed to.

dragyn

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2003, 03:49:36 pm »

The only change I would like to see is in that control bar for visualizations, trackinfo, etc.

It shows, leaves, shows, leaves, comes back, flickers on/off, sits there for awhile, leaves, etc etc. It's making me absolutely craaaazzyyy.

I would like to see different settings but configure it depending on the mode you are in...as follows:

Internal
 always show
 always hide
 auto-hide (resize)
 auto-hide

Windowed
 always show
 always hide
 auto-hide (resize)
 auto-hide

Full Screen
 always show
 always hide
 auto-hide (resize)
 auto-hide

So when you enter a different display mode, the control will follow the rules you have set. I personally never use it in full screen but sometimes use it in internal.

That is all. Thanks.

nila

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2003, 12:56:23 am »

• for mp3 settings - I'd like to see checkboxes for all the options available using LAME.

Razorlame has TONS of options, all easily selectable without knowing all the presets yourself. I'd like to see these added to MJ - it shouldn't be too hard a task and it'd make MJ much more of a full fledged encoder.

nila

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2003, 02:24:36 am »

• Ability to rip albums as one track with internal bookmarks for each track beginning and ending so that it can be jumped from track to track. This would be an alternative or work with the idea suggested above of being able to save next track to play.

This is a pretty important one as compilation albums often are mixed together and there is currently only one program that can deal with these properly and that's Feurio. I know a lot of people that use it purely because of it's ability to properly handle albums that are mixed together.

rocketsauce

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2003, 03:32:28 am »

Ability to rip albums as one track with internal bookmarks for each track beginning and ending...there is currently only one program that can deal with these properly and that's Feurio.

It's called a .cue file.  EAC supports .cue files for ripping and burning, as well as the ability to rip multiple tracks as one track.  Or, unless you specifically need to rip to MP3, you can rip to Vorbis or MPC which both support gapless playback and work perfectly for mix albums.

Rob

MachineHead

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2003, 02:43:05 pm »

It's called a .cue file.

What's the difference between a cue and an image? From EAC of course. Guessing on what an image is: Exact track markers from the original, with crossfades (if there) also.

REQUEST FOR MC ADDITION:

The ability to do a full erase of CD-RW media. Have had some problems with burns that fail to add files during said operation. OK, I'll just erase and start again. Erase says it is done but gives an error message with these cds that the selected files cannot be added to burn. Huh? I wasn't adding files. Trying to get rid of them was the main mission. Anyway, Easy CD Creator and Nero both have the ability to zorch these errant discs with a full erase. It does wonders for trouble makers. My problem is that I'd just as soon use MC to handle ALL my burning chores. Is there still time to squeeze something like this into MC? You have a new burning engine....  8)

nila

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2003, 05:21:18 pm »

Bumping this up as several of the suggestions on this would still be HUGELY welcomed :)

MachineHead

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2003, 03:38:05 am »

Maybe someone has already covered this...

Ability to make an .m3u playlist upon extraction. I know you can export them in several formats. It would be nice to just create one and stick it in the folder with the album being ripped.

Guess which ripper does this already...give you a hint. EAC.

nila

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2003, 11:14:46 am »

Amen to the .m3u playlist - also ability to specify it's format when it's ripped.

MachineHead

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2003, 04:04:52 pm »

I'd like to see another small feature added to MC. I minimize to systray with MC. Instead of having to right click to see what song is playing now. Is it possible to add the hover (over MC icon) feature like the clock where it shows the day, date and time? Only just show track name that is playing now.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2003, 04:16:14 pm »

I'd like to see another small feature added to MC. I minimize to systray with MC. Instead of having to right click to see what song is playing now. Is it possible to add the hover (over MC icon) feature like the clock where it shows the day, date and time? Only just show track name that is playing now.

I would love to see this!

I think what would make it even better would be to have the hover contents user customizable.... because you might only want to see the track name..... but I'd like to see the track name and artist. Others might want to see the time remaining, or elapsed, etc., etc....  A nice selection menu would be a great thing to have under Options.  :D
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

rocketsauce

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2003, 06:38:01 pm »

Is it possible to add the hover (over MC icon) feature like the clock where it shows the day, date and time? Only just show track name that is playing now.

Doesn't it already do this?  I'm using 9.0.88 and it shows Artist/Album/Title/Time when I hover.

Rob

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2003, 06:43:53 pm »

Here i go again. graphical ratings ala wmp9.  :)
---------

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2003, 07:40:35 pm »

Doesn't it already do this?  I'm using 9.0.88 and it shows Artist/Album/Title/Time when I hover.

Actually... it does. I thought it used to, but when I happened to be looking for it, I was using 9.0.100.... and it didn't display anything when hovering. Now I'm using 9.0.103 and it works fine again.

Regardless, I'd still like to be able to customize which attributes are shown when I hover.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

MachineHead

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2003, 11:37:59 pm »

Doesn't it already do this?

You know I thought it did before as well. Tried lastnight and I just couldn't get anything. Now it's going like crazy. Must not have had it in the right place?? One less thing for 'em to shoot for... ;D

nila

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2003, 01:54:52 am »

For all the 'date' fields in MJ, especially last imported,
instead of showing a big list of Unix timestamps when you click on them to edit them in the search bar,
they should show a calendar with dates highlighted that contain values.

Take a look at AV2's 'new album' feature to see how this has been implemented. It's the perfect way to make a wizard for dates.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2003, 03:37:45 am »

REQUESTED FEATURES

• Playlist Properties: This could allow for comments, dates, and other properties to be assigned to playlists.
  • Keywords: Allow a custom delimeter for each field. I have a number of fields that are ready for this, but have been implemented with commas and not semi-colons as required by Keywords.
  • Audio Properties: Show info regarding mono, stereo.
  • Custom Fields: Allow fields to be specific to media type (or simply to be hidden when not required). Eg: Audio files have no height and width properties and so the audio group should not be visible when clicking on an image file. These can be customised in the options group. Perhaps make the groups customisable in this respect.
  • Custom Fields: Separate options dialog, please!
  • Custom Field Groups: I would like to have more field groups to extend the existing "General", "Extended", "File Info", "Audio" and "Display". Eg: Publishing Info, Classical Info, Recording Info (I do a number of private recordings and so this would make the DB appear a lot less cluttered). etc.
  • Views: Allow different columns / thumbnails to be displayed. Should be allowed to be customised. Also allow a "thumb tile" to be displayed, HTML style.
  • File Properties: Allow a custom order of fields. eg: name, artist and album to appear first, and not just rely on alphabetical ordering.
  • Party Mode: I would like party mode to be ABSOLUTELY dummy proof. You should run experiments with people who don't know what a computer is and are drunk as lords. a challenge! See if you end up with the same playlist five minutes from when you walk away!
  • Actions for Enter: Is it not possible to customise the action of enter (like Double click and "play") so that it doesn't have a "I'm going to kill your playlist for you"-type action. Personally, I would set it to "DO NOTHING".
  • Options: Centralised options? PLEASE? I would like to be able to do everything from one place. I don't like having to press play so that I can right-click on the visualisation and see the options to customise it there. Options for ripping, etc are all over the place. Keep their current "activation buttons" but have one central dialog that pop up and displays the right options. Consider placing "short cuts" for relevant options at the top of the "outlook bar" that you have to make the different options apparent to the user - highlight them somehow - depending on what you were doing when you wanted to see the options.
  • Intensity Levels: Almost all of my classical music fits into Intensity 1 or at a push at intensity 2. Is it not possible to add a few more intensity levels "below" 1? Perhaps shift everything up by 5 to make the range 1 through 10. Or add decimal points?
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

RemyJ

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2003, 12:15:34 pm »

bump
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up