INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 50631 times)

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2003, 05:33:38 pm »

Larry, iPlod (and others with VBR files),

Are you consistently seeing track cutoffs? If so how much? I think I can fix this if you are seeing it.

I am certainly having this problem on quite a regular basis. there is no problem playing from MC. I usually find the last 20 seconds gets lost. Its not a constant problem just isolated tracks from a CD.

Also I am experiencing major problems with my  filenames which sem to change automatically. I have just tried to sync my ipod having made chnages to previously noted filename problems by uing the library tool "rename files from properties". IMy new problem is that some files now (erronously) include the genre after the artist. As a result and because it does not agree with my encoding convention, they are not synced!

AS Toyah Wilcox sang (I think for the older contributors) ITS A MYSTERY TO ME!

iPlod along (heavens knows I'm miserable now)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2003, 06:36:06 pm »

I've noticed that you're more likely to lose a little bit off the end of songs with VBR's

Larry,

I've noticed this on a number of tracks yet playing from the PC it plays in full. What have you changed to? Did you have to re-rip the 'shorten' tracks to overcome the problem before you changed the encoding

By changing the type of encoding did it affect your library or just the recordings after the change?

iPlodalong (in a technical dreamland)

I concur that playing via the computer doesn't seem to have the same problems as the iPod.  I ended up going with CBR 160 "best quality" encoding.  I didn't "convert" any tracks -- I just re-ripped everything since I hadn't ripped all that many CD's at that time.

Did this answer your question?  I'm not sure I understood the second part of it.

Note that the "cut off" issue I'm referring to here is where only a small part of the song is cut off (a second or two.)  The was a different issue where 10 to 30 seconds was cut off that was solved by re-ripping the song.  The VBR problem is NOT solved by re-ripping -- it's consistant.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2003, 06:44:17 pm »

Larry, iPlod (and others with VBR files),

Are you consistently seeing track cutoffs? If so how much? I think I can fix this if you are seeing it.

I haven't checked in a while, but it was consistant.  The VBR "cut off" issue was different than the other, bigger issue where 10 to 30 seconds of random songs would be cut off.  This "bigger" issue could be solved by re-ripping the song.  The VBR issue, which only clips a second or two, is/was consistant.

By the way, I haven't been running into the "bigger" cut off song issue lately (i.e. losing 10 to 30 seconds of random songs), but I don't know if this is because it was fixed by an MC build, or because I've been listenning to more Audible files and less music lately.  In other words, I may still have this problem and not know it.  I do know that when I WAS running into this more often, synching with Ephpod did NOT exhibit this problem -- i.e. it was specific to MC.

Larry

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2003, 08:37:38 pm »

dallardice:

Try this:

Correct all bad values in MC9 for Last Played
Right-click iPod, select Rebuild iPod Database.
Sync--Do NOT select the Sync iPod info with MC9 Option

They should be fixed.

STEVE:

Doing some digging around on my wife's iPod that I've populated using iTunes.  There is a file on there "iTunesPlaylists" that increases by 8 bytes with the addtion of each new smartlist.  Seems to me that this is where the rules are stored for these.

'Course you probably already knew this.

Now, it's just a matter of figuring that file out.  ;D

Adam

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2003, 09:14:38 pm »

Ok, still no dice on the AAC for me...This is a freshly restored/initialized ipod, tunes have been played on the ipod using Itunes....

Media Center Registered 9.1.291 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 929 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 188 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: YAMAHA   CRW2200E           Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:20  MaxSpeed:20  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2003, 10:14:30 pm »

Ok, still no dice on the AAC for me...This is a freshly restored/initialized ipod, tunes have been played on the ipod using Itunes....

Because it works for some and not others, it must be a configuration issue with the machine.  Try killing the ipod programs that are running in the background by using taskmanager.

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2003, 10:24:12 pm »

Because it works for some and not others, it must be a configuration issue with the machine.  Try killing the ipod programs that are running in the background by using taskmanager.
There are still issues with importing AAC files into media center. I still see
many files that have duration and bitrates of 0. Seems that media center
can not understand all files. Just many of them. I would not say that all problems are configuration problems at this point. I see a lot of room
for more software problems to be fixed also. Let me know if you want any
of the m4a files that MC9.1 does not import correctly. itunes is very happy
with them...

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2003, 07:16:31 am »

I also gave up on trying to use AAC as I am also have the 0 duration problem on some files that were encoded with Quicktime.

Also, I've been having problems syncing Audible files, as they will occasionally show a duration of 0. I spent several hours trying to get the files on my iPod, but was never successful.

Bill McNair

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2003, 08:08:51 am »

Everyone,

In regards to purchased iTunes mp4 file playback on iPod after transferring with MC.....

This morning I started with a clean XP machine. Installed MC 9.1.291 and iTunes 4.1.154. My iPod is a 10 gb with firmware 2.1. I purchased 3 tunes from iTunes Music store. Imported them into MC. Transferred them both using sync and by drag and drop. All files play fine.  For those who trasfers are working, can you chime in with hardware specifications to try to give me a clue.

Steve, I tried last night - here's what I did:

* XP system, had the original release of iTunes installed - haven't upgraded quite yet...
* Complete uninstall of .290 (even the library, after I backed it up in a couple location)
* Install .291
* Reload my library backup
* Restore/Initialize iPod back to fresh 2.1 firmware
* Sync a playlist consisting of 2 purchased m4p files
* Sync over rest of playlists

So far, so good.

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2003, 09:22:15 am »

For those of you who have AAC working on your ipod:  Is MC9 saving your AAC tags?  My AAC songs are listed, but genre and artist, etc are not--if I fill in those file fields manually, then exit MC9 and reenter MC9, *poof* tags gone--is this a bug specific to me and my stupidity, or is this still a work in progress  (not my stupidity but the tag issues)?

SteveG

« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2003, 10:05:34 am »

IPlodAlong,

Also I am experiencing major problems with my  filenames which sem to change automatically.

I assume you mean in MC. Try to isolate what is going on and give an example. I do not think MC is spontaneously renaming your files.

Larry,

If you don't have a version from the last couple of days, try updating. I made changes that should resolve the last second cutoff for these files.

jeffh,

Can you send me a files that does not import correctly? (steve @ jriver.com)

Bill,

Does the .aa file show a duration of 0 in MC or on iPod or both? Are you running MC 9.1.291?

cct1,

Using 9.1.291 and testing on .mp4 files, I cannot duplicate this.

Steve

vph

• Recent member
  • Say no more! Say no more!
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2003, 11:46:07 am »

For those of you who have AAC working on your ipod:  Is MC9 saving your AAC tags?  My AAC songs are listed, but genre and artist, etc are not--if I fill in those file fields manually, then exit MC9 and reenter MC9, *poof* tags gone--is this a bug specific to me and my stupidity, or is this still a work in progress  (not my stupidity but the tag issues)?

AAC still does not work on my iPod but I just tested this and had no problems.  To make sure we did the same thing, I:

- opened MC9
- selected an .m4p file that I imported
- changed the tags (I hadn't modified the tags on Steve's fave:  "I Am A Rock".  It's the track that forced me into bankruptcy...).  Specifically, added artist, album, track #.
- played the tune
- shut down MC9
- opened MC9 back up
- artist, album, track # changes were still there

Was this your process, or did I just test a function in a manner similar to how humans "test" oxygen?

VPH

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2003, 01:33:05 pm »

I assume you mean in MC. Try to isolate what is going on and give an example. I do not think MC is spontaneously renaming your files.

Steve,

On the file transfer error information box the type of files were mp3-2.

I have no idea how that could have happened. In MC the files are showing as being mp3.

iPlos along (whistling a merry tune)

SteveG

« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2003, 01:56:01 pm »

VPH and others with AAC playback on iPod issues,

FYI, I tested on two more PCs here today which were not clean, but never had iTunes on them and everything worked fine on my iPod with .mp4. Maybe I need to test with another iPod.

iPlod,

Now I think you are saying that you are trying to transfer files and they are failing with the error code of -2 in the error dialogue. This error means "The system cannot find the file specified" ans is a Windows error. Can you play that file in MC? If so, try to drag and drop that file (and only that file) onto the iPod and see if it fails.

Steve

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2003, 02:51:51 pm »

>Does the .aa file show a duration of 0 in MC or on iPod >or both? Are you running MC 9.1.291?

Most of the time they show a duration of zero on the iPod, after a transfer, but I have occasionally seen it happen in MC9, but it is usually fixed by reimporting them.

Oh, and I always update MC9, so yes I'm running .291.

Bill

SteveG

« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2003, 03:03:23 pm »

Bill,

I need to know if you have ever seen an .aa file in MC with a duration greater than 0 and then been unable to play the file on iPod. If the duration is 0 in MC, this is for sure the problem, and the problem is in the file importing.

BillRaff

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2003, 04:38:15 pm »

Just to join in. I too have not successfully played any song (AAC) imported from MC 9.1 (just tested 291) on the iPod. They play fine within MC but, as others have described, when I try and play on the iPod it just runs quickly back to the menu.

I've been just restoring and using itunes lately since I've purchased quite a few dollars worth from the iTunes store. As newer MC builds get released I keep hoping that some how it will start working. I'd rather stick with MC once this gets ironed out. And I'm sure it will.

Thanks

Intel Pentium 4 1614 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 733 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
  Drive E:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2003, 04:40:32 pm »

Can you play that file in MC? If so, try to drag and drop that file (and only that file) onto the iPod and see if it fails.

Steve,

I can play the file in Windows using Explore but cannot play the same track from MC. I did drag n' drop and the track did sync and played on the iPod. What do you suggest I do as I have over 2000 tracks like this! I am also interested, if you have come across this problem in the past, how this Windows problem can be averted in the future.

iPlod along

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2003, 08:17:55 pm »

Larry,

If you don't have a version from the last couple of days, try updating. I made changes that should resolve the last second cutoff for these files.

I do have the 291 version, but I haven't actually tested this particular problem lately.  I'll give it a try as soon as I have a chance (I don't have the iPod with me right now) and report back.

By the way, did you ever figure out what was causing the problem where 10 to 30 second of random songs on the iPod would be cut off -- the issue where re-ripping the songs would solve the problem?  As I said in another post, it was never clear if this was fixed or not since I just haven't been listenning to enough songs to know if I'm still getting this issue.  Did you ever address this issue in MC?  I know that it was an MC issue since the same songs did not have this issue when synched using Ephpod.

Thanks again,

Larry

Endymion

• Recent member
  • I am who I have always been
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2003, 02:52:27 pm »

Using 291 build:

1) When importing unprotected AAC files created by ITunes into MC9, no tag info is retrieved.  Album name, track number and Artist can be retrievied via "Fill properties from filename" tool; however, genre and other info is not available.  

2) Selecting "Import Media" from MC9 menu and pointing to directory with AAC files will not import any of the AAC files; however, if I open up My Computer and find the folder containing the AAC files and bring up the right click menu option for the folder which shows the MC9 import option, the files will be imported (but without the tag info as per (1)).

3) I am using the following flow to create AAC files:
  * Use MC9 to convert my database of APE files into extremely high bit rate MP3 files.
  * Use ITunes to convert MP3 files to AAC
  * Use MC9 to import AAC files
  * Transfer to IPOD from MC9 (currently using ITunes for this since tag info is lost via MC9).

The flow has the following problems:
  * I have to create a very large MP3 database and then an AAC database in addition to my existing APE database.  This takes a lot of time and is a disk space hastle.  
  * I lose the tag info
  * If I import a CD into MC9 in APE format and then want to sync it to my IPOD, I have to go through the flow again and can't just sync the APE files to the IPOD via convert format.  I have to remember which APE files have already been conveted to AAC and which haven't or I end up with duplicates in the databases.

I want to use AAC instead of MP3 to save space on the IPOD.  Any suggestions for an improved flow?

Thanks,
John

Radiant

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2003, 08:04:18 pm »

on #2

When you go File> Library > Import Media, the dialogue box that comes up allows you to check the file types to import.  Make sure, AAC Audio files are checked.

Endymion

• Recent member
  • I am who I have always been
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2003, 12:40:38 am »

Thanks Radiant, hitting the advanced button and selecting AAC works.

John

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2003, 08:51:34 am »

Hey Steve,

I haven't posted for a bit, but wanted to just mention that I am still having the same problems that I was before.  I have upgraded to .291 and confirmed the issues are still present.

Thought these might give you a break from AAC issues.. :)

1. MC shutting itself down ('disappearing', no crash details or error message) during sync, when skipping files already on the iPod.    I synch a smartlist, do not choose to delete files on the ipod or to update ratings.  I have Force Convert switched on, converting to VBR 'Normal/High', skipping files of type .mp3

I have confirmed that the shut down happens when skipping either .APE files or .MP3 files.

I workaround it by creating a smartlist that only syncs files that I have imported in the last X days, therefore not including any file that might already be on the ipod.  But this is a pain as I can't cancel an sync half way through, because chances are it will crash when I try to resume.

In a previous post I isolated the song 'Friday I'm In Love' as the point at which it crashed - it now happens on other songs too (confirmed by removing that song from teh smartlist), but I am not sure which other songs it is happening on.

2.  Some files being transferred to ipod with long periods of silence on the end.  Happens on around 50 songs out of 4,500.  Seems to happen randomly on some songs, but there are other songs that it always happens depsite numerous deletes and re-syncs.  I can email you a list of those files if it helps?
As previously mentioned, I have confirmed this is a problem only with ipod syncing and not with the VBR encoder - so perhaps the sync is setting the duration on the iPod incorrectly?

Problem 1 is by far the most annoying - I can live with problem 2.

I have a second gen 20gb ipod, with firmware 1.3.  I have Windows XP with media center .291.  I'm syncing via firewire using a PCI firewire card.  I don't have iTunes or any other iPod software installed.

iPod history:
1. When first bought (6 months ago), initialised in EPHPOD
2. Some tracks synced in EPHPOD
3. Many tracks synced in MC 9.0
4. Upgraded firmware to 1.3 (just an upgrade, didnt re-format the pod)
4. Initialised in MC 9.1.285 - couple of weeks ago
5. Since have been syncing tracks in all version of MC 9.1 from .285 to .291

I haven't yet tried re-initializing it in .291, mostly because force-converting all my APEs gives me a total sync time of about 30 hours, and I can't live without my ipod for that long :)  But I will try a re-initailize if you think it might help.  I am not sure I have ever done a 'Restore

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work - let me know if you need me to provide any further information.

Tom

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2003, 11:22:36 am »

MP3-2

Steve,

I am still having problems with syncing.

The earlier test of dragging and dropping has not worked when I tried to sync more than one track at a time. I have now reset my ipod in an attempt to get around the problem to no avail.

At the moment there is no music on the iPod whatsoever yet at the bottom of the MC screen which shows the contents of the iPod it is seeing files on it! The information on the MC screen says:
H:
Total 27.845GB
Free: 12.267GB
File(s) 0

This means when I try to manually sync the iPod it says the destination folder will be exceeded making it impossible to sync.

Reformatted the iPod does not seem to have worked in this instance and I wonder if it is in somway still recognising files as mp3-2 ?

I am highly confused. Any suggestions on this problem?

iPlod along a musical cul-de-sac

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2003, 11:36:23 am »

Here is my current situation with the iPod and AAC files (m4a and m4p) and Audible files (aa).

Currently running a 15GB gen3 iPod with firmware 2.1
Media Center build 291

I have a smartlist which is all file with the .m4p extension (purchased from iTunes) and when i bring these files over to the ipod (either via manual copy, send to or synch that list) those files do not play.  They simply skip to the next song.  

I also have a smartlist which selects audible files only (.aa extension).  These files do no even attempt to play.  If i have the song highlighted in the ipod and press play, nothing happens at all.

I have a smartlist which has m4a files (AAC that I have encoded myself).  These work just fine on the iPod.

Needless to say this is frustrating, but i realize that you are scrambling to provide support for this stuff and I understand that you must feel quite pressured to get the support functional.  The Audible stuff is a regression, this used to work just fine (these are udible files downloaded through the audible manager and imported to MC, never been touched by iTunes.)

All of these were done from a fresh restore of the ipod.  Here is the process:

Restore iPod to firmware 2.1
iTunes asks me to regsiter the iPod, I do so, choose to manage manually.
Disconnect the iPod from within iTunes
Reconnect iPod
iTunes starts automatically
Tell iTunes not to launch automatically
Disconnect iPod using iTunes
close iTunes
Reconnect iPod
Start Media Center
Initialize iPod
Copied m4p manually
disconnect, songs do not play (skip to next song)
Synchronize the m4p playlist, retest, same result
remove m4p files
Synchronize m4a files, successful test
synchronize audible files, files do nothing at all when attempting to play
Attempt to synchronize m4p playlist (without copying manually first)
Attempt to play m4p files, same results as before, files simply skip to next track.

I am going to attempt a few other test cases using smaller file sets and if I have different results I will let you know.

Just FYI, yesterday I tried synchronizing all but the m4p files to my ipod using MC and then synch the m4p files using iTunes.  This worked fine on the iPod until I tried to synchronize using MC again.  This caused MC to crach upon highlighting the ipod drive letter. under the Handhelds tree.

Here is the info from my machine:

Intel Pentium 4 1992 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 533 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Niro

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2003, 11:59:52 am »

I'm having a problem with ratings.  When rating in media center, the rating gets saved and the favorites (4+5 stars) playlist gets updated...afrter syncing the favorites playlist on the ipod gets updated.  But when I change a rating ont he ipod, the playlist does not get updated...and after I reset the ipod and look at the song I just rated, the rating is lost.  Am I doing something wrong?  How do I get the ratings to stick and updated the favorites playlist dynamically?

I'm using a 40gb ipod with 2.1 firmware btw.

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2003, 12:22:39 pm »

Additional test cases.  All files play fine from within MC itself.
m4P files have been added to the library with the tags updated to replect proper artist/album information.

Any time a firmware reinstall is done, the following procedure is followed:
[iTunes opens automatically, tell itunes not to automatically manage, disconnect ipod, reconnect ipod, tell itunes not to start automatically, disconnect iPod, reconnect ipod, start media center, initialize iPod]

Case 1:
Fresh initialization of iPod within MC from above state:
Synchronize Audible files only:
Success!  Audible files play fine.

Case 2:
Add mp3 files to above iPod (Led Zeppelin III album only from Album Playlist)
Success! Both audbile and mp3 files play perfectly.

Case 3:
Add m4a Files (The Police Message in a Box CD 4, encoded in iTunes and added to MC, in a playlist) to above iPod:
Success! All files play fine.

Case 4:
Add m4p files (Elvis, 30 #1 hits, in a playlist) to above iPod:
Fail! , played audible first, fine, played mp3, fine, played m4a, fine, played m4p all tracks skip to next song until playlist ends.  After playlist ends retry other files, they play fine.

re-initialize iPod from within media center.

Case 5:
Add m4p files (Elvis, 30 #1 hits, in a playlist)
Fail.  Tracks are skipped as above.

Restore ipod to firmware 2.1
Case 6:
Add m4p files (Elvis, 30 #1 hits, in a playlist)

Case 7:
Add m4p files manually highlighting from the library and choosing send to: CD, DVD & Handhelds> drive letter.
Click Transfer, disconnect

Case 8:
Add m4p files manually highlighting from the library and choosing send to: CD, DVD & Handhelds> drive letter.
Click Transfer, Choose synchronize, sync plalist containing same files as transferred (elvis 30 #1 hits)

Case 9
Remove elvis files from library.
re-import, do not update libary with any tag information.
Synchronize fresh playlist

Case 10:
use send to, transfer to send files to ipod.

Case 11:
use send to, transfer to send files to ipod.
do not disconnect
synch playlist

If anyone can come up with any other test cases for me to run please suggest some and I'll jump on them when I have an opportunity.  As for right now, I have been unable to come up with any scenario in which I can send iTunes Music Store files to the ipod via Media Center and have them function.

I hope this helps!
iPod firmware 2.1

Intel Pentium 4 1992 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 544 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2003, 12:53:32 pm »

Since there seems to be many of us who cannot play iTunes .m4p files on our iPod's, it made me think how many can successfully do this?  

So is there anyone out there other than Steve that can successfully play iTunes protected AAC files on their iPod when transferred from MC9?

Eugene

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2003, 04:32:48 pm »

2.  Some files being transferred to ipod with long periods of silence on the end.  Happens on around 50 songs out of 4,500.  Seems to happen randomly on some songs, but there are other songs that it always happens depsite numerous deletes and re-syncs.  I can email you a list of those files if it helps?
As previously mentioned, I have confirmed this is a problem only with ipod syncing and not with the VBR encoder - so perhaps the sync is setting the duration on the iPod incorrectly?

This sounds exactly like what I was calling the "bigger cut-off issue" earlier in this thread.  I used to run into this quite a bit, but haven't had it happen in a little while.  I'm unclear whether or not this is due to the fact that I'm listenning to mainly Audible files these days -- i.e. I might just not be listenning to enough songs to notice it.  This problem had nothing to do with VBR since it was still happening after I started using CBR exclusively.

If you search for my old posts, you can see the various things I did when trying to figure this problem out.  I can tell you that it didn't seem to do any good to send the actual songs to one of the MC people to test since the very act of copying the song eliminated the problem.  I confirmed this by emailing one of the "problem" songs to myself, at which point I discovered that the song I received in the email no longer had this issue, but the "original" one still did.

Another thing I noticed was the fact that this problem was specific to MC.  I could sync the exact same songs with Ephpod and they'd work fine -- i.e. no cut-off issue.  Going back to MC to sync would bring the problem right back again.  I also noticed that the behavior of "problem" songs wasn't exactly the same.  There were some songs that could be fixed by simply re-ripping the songs or even changing the tag information slightly -- any change to the song requiring it to be re-saved would fix it.  There were other songs, however, where the entire album would have it's songs cut off no matter what I did.

Back when I was posting about this, at least one other person mentioned that this problem had simply "gone away" for them.  I find myself "possibly" saying this now as well (although, as I mentioned already, this may be due to my current listenning habits.)  I can't help wondering if this has something to do with how many songs are on the iPod.  It seems like a potential pattern that after a while the problem stops, which could point to simply having a lot more songs ripped.

The one thing I can say for sure is that unlike your comment, I canNOT "live with this" if I run into it again -- this is a easily a deal breaker to me since it simply ruins songs.  Don't give up trying to solve this one -- I'm sure the answer can be found if people are diligent.  Based on the comments I've seen, I get the impression that more people are running into this than we know -- I believe that some people just don't post about it.  If I run into this issue again, I will most certainly start posting about it again.

For the sake of everybody, good luck trying to figure this out,

Larry

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2003, 04:52:34 am »

Hey lalittle,

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like we experience opposite symptoms - I get too much of a song, you get too little!

I will definitely try some of your suggestions, e.g. copying & reimporting the affected songs.  I think I have it narrowed down to a certain list that always fails, so maybe that will help.

I can understand why you couldn't live with cutoff songs - that's very annoying.  Mine is more bearable because I simply hear lots of silence at the end of a song, it takes me a moment or two to realise then I just hit 'Next' and it's ok again.  

Tom

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2003, 05:26:18 am »

Hey guys,

Don't know if this has been raised before, but.. can we get our own forum?

I know this might open a can of worms, with every sub-group of MC users wanting their own group, but it seems to me that iPod users contribute a significant number of posts, and having our own forum would make following individual conversations a lot easier.

Just my 2c's!

Tom

SteveG

« Reply #181 on: November 03, 2003, 09:49:36 am »

Iplod,

I can play the file in Windows using Explore but cannot play the same track from MC.

Try backing up your library and then create a new library and reimport some the tracks that are problematic. See if this solves the MC playback which will hopefully then solve the iPod transfer porblems. In regards to your second post, I would definitely recommend getting your MC library straightened out and then reinitialize before synching.

Larry,

By the way, did you ever figure out what was causing the problem where 10 to 30 second of random songs on the iPod would be cut off -- the issue where re-ripping the songs would solve the problem?

I made changes a while ago that probably positively affected this.

Endymion,

When importing unprotected AAC files created by ITunes into MC9, no tag info is retrieved.

MC does not read tag iTunes tags.

We do not provide an AAC encoder or decoder becuase of the expense. We use Quicktime for playback, but Quicktime does not provide a way to retrieve tag info.

tjobbins,

The best way to track this down is going to require you to do some tests that may end up requiring you to rebuild your iTunesDB. Having said this, in regards to (1), try creating a playlist with  5 songs, one of which is 'Friday I'm in Love'. Sync just this playlist. All playlists except this one will be removed but the songs will remain on iPod. Try adding 10 more songs and resync. Let me know what you see.

The issue regarding a seaparate forum has been raised but this is what we have for now.

In regards to (2), on the songs with the silence, what duration does MC and iPod report? Can you send me an example of one tha has the silence? (steve @ jriver.com).

CautionEspn,

Your second round of tests seemed to resolve the .aa issue. More on the AAC below.

Niro,

Are you changing the MC rating after you sync to iPod. The latest version of MC will use the iPod rating if it is changed after the MC rating. If the MC rating changes after the last sync, MC uses the MC rating and will update the iPod.

Everyone,

Regarding the unable to play mp4 issue, please post what iPod and firmware you have. I will try to chase this from that angle.

Steve

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2003, 10:17:04 am »

jeffh,

Can you send me a files that does not import correctly? (steve @ jriver.com)

Steve, Did you get the file I sent?

mikbau

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2003, 10:31:46 am »

Hi All~
Finally purchased MC 9 lat night - love the product

Had an interesting occurance. I had iTunes installed initially, but it was causing issues, so I uninstalled it, and installed the latest version of MC 9. I also installed the iPod firmware version 2.1, and reformatted my iPod.

I synced my iPod to my PC, and at the end there was a list of 20 or so files that errored on folder F09. I thought perhaps my screen saver had interupted something, as I had never had this issue previously. I turned off the SC and it all synced fine - or seemed to.

Naturally I didn't check at my house, but this am when I got to work, I noticed that there were 20 or so files missing - the iPod lists 2133 songs, and I know for certain that my library has 2154. Not positive if the "missing" tracks are the same ones that errored - looking thorugh the list, it appears that at least some of them sync'ed ok.

Since I can't verify until I get home, I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this behavior - and if there was a way to compare what tracks are in my library on the PC to my iPod?

thanks much
Mike

SteveG

« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2003, 11:08:58 am »

jeffh,

No, I did not receive it. My email should not have the spaces in it which are listed above to avoid spam.

mikbau,

If you saw errors for 20 files, that is why they are not on the iPod. WHen you get home resync your files (all the duplicates will be skipped) and then when you see the errors again let me know the number at the end of the error message. Also try playing some of the errored files in MC to make sure they are OK.

mikbau

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2003, 11:12:26 am »

Steve - thanks for the reply - the problem is, I *did* synce the iPod again after I received the errors - and there were no errors the second time around, but it appears that there are tracks missing - I'll try it again when I get home - I don't recall any specific error code when it informed me there were some - but I can't say for certain - I'll make a note if it happens this evening

~m

Vivvy

• Recent member
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2003, 11:34:23 am »

Existing playlists on my iPod are being wiped with each new sync.  The tracks aren't deleted, just the playlists.  Editing the tracks and retyping playlists names restores them.

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2003, 12:05:30 pm »

jeffh,

No, I did not receive it. My email should not have the spaces in it which are listed above to avoid spam.

Sent again. Let me know if you get it this time...

SteveG

« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2003, 12:07:28 pm »

Vivvy,

When you are synching, do you have "Delete files not in sync" selected? If not, do you have all the playlists checked that you want to have on your iPod after the sync? If not, this is your problem.

If this is not the problem, have you recently reimported files into MC? If so, do a reinitialize on iPod and then resync.

Everyone,

Everyone with AAC playback issues, if you can, pleaseformat your iPod from Windows, disconnect and reconnect and then retest with MC. Perhaps iTunes is putting something on the iPod that is causing problems.

Steve

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2003, 12:53:48 pm »

Steve,

RE: protected AAC file playback problem on iPod...

I'm using firmware 2.1 on a 30gig 3G model

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2003, 01:13:54 pm »

Steve,

I too am using firmware 2.1 on a 3g 30 gig iPod. I also tried with the 2.0.1 firmware without success.

When I get home tonight (if I have time  :)) I was thinking I might uninstall iTunes, then reformat the iPod and sync to see if the protected AAC files play. Has anyone tried this?  Do you think the uninstalling of iTunes will somehow render the protected AAC files useless?

Thanks

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Vivvy

• Recent member
« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2003, 02:00:40 pm »

After copying from CD (& converting to mp3) I am merely dragging into the iPod icon.  Once the copy is complete, all iPod playlists are gone.  Note playlists don't exist on my PC; I delete after ripping the CD.

SteveG

« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2003, 02:03:28 pm »

AAC People......

Good news. I think I have a workaround for now and the potential for a more elegant solution soon. Try transferring one mp4 file with iTunes to your iPod. If you browse in Explorer to your iPod and then look in your iTunes folder, you will see a file called iSCInfo. This file appears to be the key. Without this file on your iPod, .mp4 files will not play. Try making a copy of this file and then go to MC and initialize your iPod. Transfer some files to iPod and then copy this file to your iTunes folder. I think you will find that files now play. If you confirm this, please email me your iSCInfo file so I can begin to figure out a way to create a solution for everyone.

Thanks.

Steve (steve @ jriver.com)

SteveG

« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2003, 02:52:18 pm »

Vivvy,

I see what you were seeing. It will be corrected in tonight's build. If your playlists on iPod are empty, they will continue to be removed.

Steve

BillRaff

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2003, 04:02:26 pm »

AAC People......

Good news. I think I have a workaround for now and the potential for a more elegant solution soon. Try transferring one mp4 file with iTunes to your iPod. If you browse in Explorer to your iPod and then look in your iTunes folder, you will see a file called iSCInfo. This file appears to be the key. Without this file on your iPod, .mp4 files will not play. Try making a copy of this file and then go to MC and initialize your iPod. Transfer some files to iPod and then copy this file to your iTunes folder. I think you will find that files now play. If you confirm this, please email me your iSCInfo file so I can begin to figure out a way to create a solution for everyone.

Steve

Confirmed on my G3 2.1 iPod that copying this file back to the iPod allowed the AAC files to play. Without it they did not play.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2003, 04:06:43 pm »

Bless your heart, Steven G......SUCCESS!!!

;D

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

eddiea

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2003, 04:28:06 pm »

I just got a replacement 30GB iPod after sending my last one in for service. I plugged it into the dock and it said "Do not disconnect". OK, fine. It's got 2.0.1 installed, and I'm fine with that.

So iPodManager recognizes the iPod, MusicMatch Jukebox recognizes it, but Media Center can't see the iPod! Of course Apple has nothing to say, since it works with their bundled software, and they don't support third party apps. So I'm stuck.

Does anyone have ANY idea what could be going wrong? I've already restored several times, that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks!

Eddie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2003, 04:43:04 pm »

Both the iTunes software and Musicmatch can cause problems.   Musicmatch may need to be uninstalled.  iTunes can be configured not to start when the iPod is plugged in.

Your best bet is to start with Adam's tutorial and follow his steps.  A link is in the first post of this thread.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2003, 05:11:09 pm »

eddiea:

I posted over to your post at the 'lounge.  Have you enabled firewire disk mode in iPod Manager?  Or better yet, get rid of that beast entirely.

Adam

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2003, 06:28:15 pm »

It's all gone a bit strange. My Ipod is usually pretty much full (around 6000 tunes). Today after syncing though I only see 145 tunes on the ipod. The sync shows the 6000 tunes passing through. When looking at the Ipod drive in MC it shows about 1500 tunes. The Ipod itself says it nearly full, and looking at the Ipod in Explorer says it's nearly full and the 6000 tunes are on it.

Any ideas?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up