INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another MC Wish List  (Read 882 times)

vbclown

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Yet Another MC Wish List
« on: November 23, 2003, 05:02:46 pm »

I really enjoy using MC, it's feature set has been a great fit for my Digital Media flow (i.e. I use it's media server for my Tivo's with HMO, Librarian for my iRiver ihp-120, (and soon to be PhatBox for my car).

As I have been doing a lot of ripping/encoding lately, I do have some suggested improvements:

1.  Support Freedb in addition to YADB.  YADB just isn't working that well.  I certainly wouldn't mind MC doing a search on both databases and letting me choose the record I want to use, but many of titles (particularly audiobooks) I am trying to rip are in Freedb and not in YADB.  (I am likely going to start using a 3rd tool for ripping which does support Freedb and then import into MC because of this).

2.  Option to auto fill track names with "Track 01" rather than "Track 1".  Many digital audio players don't sort by track number, so I'm forced to sort by Song title, and I'd like these to sort properly.  Since I'm ripping a lot of audiobooks that aren't in YADB, I'm finding myself having to edit Track Names and change "1" to "01" over and over again.

3.  Allow me to store multiple encoding configurations and choose them from a pick-list.  I use the command line encoder to use the latest version of encogg.  I'd like to be able to save multiple versions of the command line with different parameters and choose which set of parameters I want to use for a particular encode.  I.E.  I use different settings for audiobooks than I do for music.  I imagine that users of the build-in encoders would also like to be able to use different sets of parameters.

4.  Some automated process for converting playlists from my HD to my portable device.  I mirror the directory structure of my HD database onto my ihp-120 but then I have to run a multi-file search and replace on all the .m3u files that got moves to the ihp to fix their paths to be appropriate for the ihp.

5.  An autosyncronize function between my ihp-120 (or any removable media type device) and my library on hard disc.  I can drag and drop files from my hard disc based library to my device but I can't tell MC that I want to mirror a particular set of files from my main library onto the device.

6.  A way to set the Tag Info to be a default open window when looking at a library.  I use the Tag Info to do a lot of tag clean-up and it's great, but I seem to constantly have to hit the icon to replace the Action Window with the Tag Info window.

7.  A way to have favorites in the Media Library.  I am constantly having to manually open the Media-Library->Advanced->Hard Disc Location -> [Super long path] to get to my files.  I'd like to put a link much higher up the tree that takes me there.

8.  More playlist features for Tivo HMO.  I know dynamic generation of SmartLists may not be possible, but what about an option to pre-compile versions of the smartlists and publish them to the media server?

9.  Moodlogic support

10.  And if you want to get really fancy... the iriver ihp supports a database index file which allows better music browsing on the device.  The ihp comes with a basic tool to generate this index, but it only supports reading tags from .mp3 (the device will play ogg vorbis, wma, etc...); so several third parties have written their own tools to read tag info and write the index to the ihp-120.  This would be a great ihp-120 specific feature to build into MC.  (nice windows gui version http://www.gacel.de/ihptool.htm  -or- command line version that includes source code http://www.marevalo.net/iRipDB)

Great program, keep up the good work!

jleerigby

Re:Yet Another MC Wish List
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 02:59:57 am »

1.  Download Psychic MP3.  This program is VERY fast and efficient when it comes to freedb lookups.  I use it to rename files based on tag info before importing into MC.  Then in MC I fill properties from filename.  Finally I upload the data to YADB for others to use.

6.  The AW will always open on the home page when MC is first opened.  This is by design as it is felt to be more intuitive for new users.  Once changed to tag info the window should stick until MC is closed again.  You can use Alt+Enter to quickly show tag info or you could put a toolbar button on the lower toolbar just below the AW that will do it.

7.  Have you tried the favourites function / toolbar button.
Pages: [1]   Go Up