INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 64315 times)

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2004, 04:16:37 am »

I've tried it twice so far, and what I'm doing is unstalling 10, then rebooting, then I install the last version of MC9. I then reinitialize the iPod and sync. At some point MC9 will ask you for you Audible username and password, then once that is done you are good to go and you can install 10.0.29.

I have never had any problems with 10.0.29 and suspect that the audible user ID and password is getting deleted in all versions after 10.0.29.

Bill McNair

SteveG,

Please can you confirm this and what build/plugin has it?

I have never seen this.

Ash.

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2004, 05:27:28 am »

I saw it the last time with 9.0.316 and remember seeing it on three other ocassions. I believe the key to getting back the ability to play aa files, is to go back to any version of MC9, then restore the iPod, then install any version prior to 10.0.29.

I get Audible content delivered daily, Fresh Air, and am having no problems playing it on my iPod, so it seems that something changed in MC10 with the release of 10.0.30 that is causing the iPod to lose authorization to play audible content.

Edit---

I just saw mindracings comment and see that he still can't play anything. If he followed my procedure, then this is going to be a fun problem for JRiver to find. BTW I don't drag or drop aything. I import files with File > Library > Import Media, and then use a smartlist to sync audible content.

Bill McNair

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2004, 08:19:46 am »

mindracing:

I first tried Audible files after installing MC10 & have never been asked for Audible user name/password, which does seem strange since I've never "activated" (or whatever the equivalent is for Audible files) the iPod.

Anyone know if by going back to an MC9 version I would mess up the license for MC10?

Thanks,

Steve

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2004, 08:37:04 am »

No you won't. I've gone inbetween 9 and 10 several times with no problems, but from what I understand there may eventually be some changes in the way that MC10 handles the library that going back will not be an option.

Bill McNair

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2004, 02:24:10 pm »

Frustration with Ratings synch.

I have only four songs on my ipod, a four song album after i had initialized.  The iPod has two songs that have ratings, but MC shows no ratings for them.  I initialized ipod, synched those four songs.  One of them still has a rating on iPod that i did not set and does not show up in MC.

Very confusing.

1. Does having my files read only on my hard drive affect what gets saved when I synch data.  In other words, I want the MC database to be updated but not the files on the hard drive.  (the files have a bit check file and any updating of the tags would make the files not check).

2.  Is there some sort of cache on the iPod that I need to flush to start clean.

3.  At some point i had a ton of files with a last played of -60000 (wasnt a round number, but i forget what it was.)  I think this happens if the iPod plays a song in the future with respect to MC (meaning the iPods clock is set incorrectly).  Has anyone else seen this?  (EDIT: -316022 is the number)

RobOK

« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2004, 03:59:23 pm »

More precise test.

1. Initialize iPod
2. synch 1 playlist with an album, Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory.  (on hard drive album is read only, cant figure out if that matters or not).
3. all songs have 3 -5 starts, all songs list "never played"
4. synch.
5. on iPod only about a third of songs show any rating.  As if there might have been a pre-existing set of ratings?
6.  play one song -- fast forward to the end of song, let it end normally.
7. connect and inspect iPod -- see NO RATINGS for any song.  Three of the songs that I did not play at all, show -316020 days ago for last played.  I did nothing to those songs at all.

I thought my iPod synching was working but this is really bad.  I will blank out my iPod with the Apple software next.  Its like there is hidden data on the iPod and MC is unable to update it.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

EDIT:  I think my problem revolves around Read Only files.  The data displayed in MC is typically from the MC library, not from the tag fields themselves.  I purposely have A LOT of updates in the Library that are not in the actual file tags.  I think MC is simply MOVING the files across, assuming the ratings, last play time, number of plays, etc. from the files are the ones to use.    I want my iPod synch to go against the LIBRARY not the mp3 files themselves.  I guess for my way to work, the files would have to be copied and then the iPod database would have to be overridden with the MC LIBRARY data.

Could someone confirm that how I described the synch is correct (i.e. the synch is of the data in the actual mp3 files, not of the Library data)

EDIT 2:  Tried some more testing with non-Read-Only files and still have the same problems.  After ejecting iPod, playing a song and changing a rating, reconnect iPod, MC shows G: iPOD not having ANY ratings.  This is bumming me out.

MC version is 10.0.038;  iPod plugin ver. 9.0.89 ;  iPod firmware:  3G - ver 2.1

Uninstalled any and all Apple software.  Have never had itunes or musicmatch.

Am considering iTunes.

thanks!

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2004, 02:20:04 am »

You probably are aware of this but FWIW.

A song is recognised as played when it has been listened to completely. Rating a song that has only been part listened to may not register the change.

If the rating is stored in the file then the Read Only would be a problem.

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2004, 06:12:52 am »

packyb & SteveG,

Re the problem where track length are out on the ipod - I have this, and reported it a couple of months back.  I found that around 30-50 tracks out of 4000 had a very badly wrong track length, e.g 20 mins instead of 5 mins, or 1 hour instead of 20 mins.  As packyb found, I noticed this to be mostly on track #1s.   And I also found that it happened when I synced just a small number of files - when I first noticed it,  I deleted all the files on the ipod that had wrong track lengths, then re-synced with just those files (50 files).  Some then went in with the right track lengths, but most had the wrong ones again.

Steve - for me the biggest bug with transcoding is when MC closes itself (no error message or other dialogue, just disappears) when skipping files already on the ipod, and where transcode files on the fly is switched on.  This effectively means that it's impossible to resume a sync that you stopped, and it's impossible to run another sync once you've added new music.  With transcode on, syncing only works if you choose songs  that are definitely not already on the pod.

Tom

RobOK

« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2004, 04:00:23 pm »

You probably are aware of this but FWIW.

A song is recognised as played when it has been listened to completely. Rating a song that has only been part listened to may not register the change.

If the rating is stored in the file then the Read Only would be a problem.

I am aware about when a song is registered as being played, and of late i have been fast forwarding through a song until there are :06 seconds left and letting it play out.  BUT, if I rate a song whether it gets played or not, I expect the rating to be registered by MC.

On the read only part....  In the MC client, I rate songs all the time, some that are read only some that are not.  For normal songs, the rating is stored both in the MC database and the mp3 file.  For read only songs, the rating is stored in the MC database but NOT the file, causing them to be out of synch, in my case ON PURPOSE.  Again, I do not want my mp3 files changed at all.  I see all of this as an advantage of MC, that I can work in the library and not change my files.

BUT, I suspect the iPod ratings are coming from the mp3 files and NOT from the MC library.  I am looking for someone from JRiver to confirm that.

thanks!

Rob.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2004, 05:25:06 pm »

And I also found that it happened when I synced just a small number of files

As a potentially interesting side note to this, I found that the issue I was having with some songs being "cut off" prematurely on the iPod (i.e. some songs would simply go silent between about 5 and 30 seconds before the end) seemed to just stop after the number of songs I was synching increased.  I always wondered if this issue had been fixed in MC (Ephpod didn't do it when synching the SAME set of songs), but since this issue was never reported in the list of fixes, I am also open to the idea that it is somehow related to synching fewer songs.

Larry

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2004, 06:38:09 pm »

This is repeatable %100 of the time.

If I create a playlist and send a whole bunch of files to it (Audiobook), when I go to use the iPod, the list order of the playlist is reversed. Browsing to the files plays them in the correct oder.

Media Center Registered 10.0.38 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1804 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 702 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive G:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive H:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: SONY     CD-RW  CRX210E1    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2004, 05:06:02 pm »

Will try again tomorrow to get dug out of this thread.

Sorry.

Steve

btvillarin

« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2004, 05:21:10 pm »

It's ok Steve...we still love you.  At least you're doing your best.  ;)

Bryan

RobOK

« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2004, 12:40:52 pm »

Will try again tomorrow to get dug out of this thread.

Sorry.

Steve

Posting that message is 1000 times better than not posting at all.  No apology needed!

SteveG

« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2004, 03:38:00 pm »

Thanks to all for your patience. Time is at a premium right now. I will address these issues as soon as possible, but it may be a little while yet.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2004, 06:14:31 pm »

Another Audible problem.  I'm using MC 9.1.316, and after doing a full restore and fresh sync on an iPod, my Audible files -- which never gave me any problems before -- suddenely stopped playing.  I hadn't added any new aa files, I've never had iTunes installed on this machine, and I've never had MC10 installed either (I'm trying MC10 on my second system, but the machine in question has stayed at 9.1.316.)

I did another restore and transferred via Ephpod, at which time the aa files all worked.  I then did ANOTHER restore and synched only a handuful of files via MC, and this time the aa files worked.  I'm now trying a FULL transfer with Ephpod to see what happens, after which I'll try another full transfer with MC to compare.  I'll report back with my results.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2004, 06:29:05 pm »

I did some VBR rips, and after a synch the time shown for a 4 minute song on the iPod was over 18 minutes -- the song jumps to the next one at 4 minutes in, but the remaining time still shows 14 minutes remaining when this happens.

As at least one other person mentioned, this was the first song on the album.

Did the other people who noticed this problem happen to be doing VBR rips?  I haven't noticed this happen with CBR rips yet.

On a related note, the VBR rips I'm doing are much more prone to losing just a little bit extra on the ends of songs -- the last beat is often clipped whereas on the CBR rip it is not.  I'm doing an Ephpod synch right now, so I'll see if this is MC related, or simply iPod related.

Larry

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2004, 07:16:02 pm »

Did the other people who noticed this problem happen to be doing VBR rips?

Yes.

Didn't have this problem when converting to straight .mp3 at 192kbps.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2004, 10:35:27 pm »

Update to the Audible problem I'm having with 9.1.316 -- I synched my whole library with Ephpod and everything worked fine (i.e. the aa files played.)  I then restored and did a full sync with MC -- the Audible files once again don't work.  As I said earlier, if I only sync a few songs and aa files with MC, they all play okay.  If I do a "full" sync, however (around 25 Gigs), the aa files no longer play -- the iPod just sits there after selecting the song.  Synching the same 25 Gigs with Ephpod, the aa files all play.

Once again, this is with MC 9.1.316, and I've never had iTunes installed on this machine.  I'm forced to use Ephpod (or perhaps iTunes if I install it) in order to do a sync.  I'll see if I can get my hands on another 40Gig iPod and try it just in case this is an iPod issue.

Also, the "track length" bug (the 4 minute song showing as over 18 minutes on the iPod) did NOT happen when synching with Ephpod, and it DID come back when I once again synched with MC.  In other words, this issue is definitely related to MC.

Larry

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2004, 10:22:58 am »

I've been having a strange problem with MC 10 crashing (silently) while transferring files to my iPod.  My collection is stored as APE files and converted to MP3 at sync time.   I don't have the "delete files not in playlists" checked.  I did a sync before a business trip two days ago using MC 10.0.31, adding only a single smartlist to my existing synced list.  This new list consisted of songs that had a 3 or higher rating.  In the morning I found MC 10 had disappeared.  I tried to re-sync and it zipped through and crashed halfway through the sync progress bar.  At that point I upgraded to 10.0.38 with the same results.

Everything works fine again if I don't sync this list, but sync all of my other lists.

Things fly by to quickly to see if it is a single file that causes the problem, any way I can log the problem?

If not, I can create a smartlist for songs with 5 ratings, 4 ratings, 3  ratings to narrow things down a bit.

When I get back home, I will test further.

Gautam

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2004, 02:10:29 pm »

Ow, I had problem this morning I've never had before. I had ripped a few CDs I just bought and I went to synch my iPod. Everything started just fine and then it started "Analyzing Audio" I think it usually does this, for a few seconds, then gets on with the synch. But this time, it analysed audio forever, 5 or 10 minutes or longer (I walked away from the machine) and then closed. I cam back to the computer and Media Center was no longer running.

But it had not done the sync.

I started MC again and did the sync and it did the same thing, except this time after the "Analysing Audio" for about 5 minutes, I just aborted the program.

It didn't touch the iPod, nothing on there is changed.

Any idea what this is about? How to get around it?

This was with v. 10.41 and this was the first time I tried synching with that version. I had been on .38 and things worked fine (well, except Audible files, but that's a reported issue).

nrappin

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2004, 02:13:10 pm »

Okay -- brand new 40GB ipod -- running firmware 2.1.  MediaCenter 10.0.42.  About 4300 files (about 11 GB) already synched to the pod.  

Trying to do an update.  Went to synchronize, and MC has now spent 20 mintues "Analyzing Audio Files", and counting...

Is this unusual?
Would I have the same issue if I synched with iTunes?
What is it doing during this time?
How can I speed it up?
Is there any way some kind of progress indicator could be added to this dialog?

Thanks,

Noel

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2004, 02:20:46 pm »

That build won't work with the iPod.  It's noted on the line below the download link.  Please try an earlier one.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2004, 02:39:22 pm »

Jim,

Well, it says "may not work" which is a rather different communication than "will not work."

However, I am using .41 and having the same "analyzing audio" problem that Noel is reporting.

nrappin

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2004, 04:03:30 pm »

My mistake -- I was using 10.0.41.  I'll try backing up to .38, though.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2004, 10:11:29 pm »

The iPod issues with Audible files that I and others have reported here (including at least one other person who is using 9.1.316 and NOT version 10) has forced me to switch to Ephpod for synching.  Needless to say, the whole point of using MC was to have a "single program" system of managing mp3s and synching iPods.  Is this issue being looked into?  It seems like there are certainly enough users having problems with non-playing Audible files to consider it an isolated issue.

I noticed the references to iPods not working correctly with the latest build of version 10 (the "WMDM" reference) and that this will soon be corrected.  Does this imply that this aspect of the program is being re-worked, and could solve these issues with the iPod?

Just to recap, I notice that I only get the non-playing Audible file issue when doing a large sync.  If I only sync a few files with MC, the Audible files play.  If I sync with Ephpod, on the other hand, this isn't an issue at all -- i.e. I can sync the entire library without any problems.

Thanks,

Larry

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2004, 12:30:28 am »

Any progress on the dynamic playlist issue ?

TimB

« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2004, 06:19:12 am »

Would it make sense for a JRiver person to post a note in this thread when iPod works again with the latest MC 10 beta?

:'(

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2004, 07:53:29 am »

We'll try.  It should be sometime early next week.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2004, 09:08:14 am »

And people should note that, although it does not say so on the download page, v 10.0.41 also does not work with the iPod. The last version for us is 10.0.38

SteveG

« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2004, 01:53:45 pm »

Hello all.

Let me catch you up on changes regarding iPod so you don't feel left out.  Certain changes in MC 10 are making it necessary to modify the iPod interface and so you will need to sit tight for a bit. Here is the list of what is coming and the order in which it will occur.....

1) The internal way that MC interacts with the iPod will be reworked to improve speed, particularly in the drawing and refreshing of the tree.

2) Synching will be reworked to be based on tag info rather than MC file IDs. This will solve the issue of multiple databases and MC and multiple iPods. This will also solve issues related to deleting and reimporting files.

3) Synching will be changed to remove any potential flaws with on the fly conversion of many files.

4) AAC tag importing will be improved.

5) Audible file playback will be retested to find the missing link to the sometimes failure to play.

6) Dynamic playlist support.

This is not a full list and if your issue is not here, it does not mean it will not be addressed or is unimportant. Until this all happens, please be patient and stay away from new versions of 10 ( in regards to iPod support ) until I post more news.

Thanks,

Steve

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2004, 02:23:27 pm »

Cool.

I have both an iPod and another MP3 player, can MC trascode Audible files so I can use them on my "other" MP3 player?

SteveG

« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2004, 02:56:03 pm »

jgourd,

no.

Sorry.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2004, 03:06:52 pm »

Cool.

I have both an iPod and another MP3 player, can MC trascode Audible files so I can use them on my "other" MP3 player?

It used to be that you could actually pick up files from Audible in MP3 format. If you got your files in mp3, then they could be transcoded. But not if you get them in aa format. Don't know if this is still an option on Audible or not.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2004, 03:12:31 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for letting us know that you guys are addressing these iPod issues.  We use 2 iPods here, so this has been a real frustration for us lately.

From your post, it sounds like using 2 iPods with MC could be a source of at least some of these problems -- is this correct?

Just one quick question -- do I assume correctly that the fixes will apply only to verion 10?  The system I use for iPod synching still only has version 9.1.316 on it, so will this need to upgraded to version 10 in order to get the fixes?  I did go ahead and buy version 10 while the low price deal was still going, but I kept it off the system used for iPod synching.

Thanks,

Larry

neo

• Recent member
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2004, 07:51:10 am »

Steve:

2) Synching will be reworked to be based on tag info rather than MC file IDs. This will solve the issue of multiple databases and MC and multiple iPods. This will also solve issues related to deleting and reimporting files.

Very nice.  I have been meaning to ask you about this for a while.  Are you going to base all of the database info in the tags as well, in particular, PCNT and POPM?

n

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #236 on: January 25, 2004, 12:11:16 am »

Steve:

I've been quiet of late---but you've got me very excited.  :D

Adam

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2004, 09:29:07 pm »

I'm waiting for that dynamic playlist support. I keep trying to resist going to itunes because things have been working so fine with my ipod right now... If I can hold out, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #238 on: January 26, 2004, 07:01:01 am »

Hi all,
Steve, will your plan number 2 also sort out synch problems if I changed the physical location of files? (not deleting and reimporting, but using MC's find and replace to move files around).

Cheers,

Bri

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2004, 12:44:31 am »

Can MC 9.1.316 cause the following problems due to using two iPods:

iPod #2 can't play Audible files after a full sync.  If I only sync a few files, the Audible files play.  If I do a FULL sync via Ephpod, the Audible files play.  When I do a FULL sync on the iPod #1 with MC, the Audible files play.  It's only when I do a FULL sync on iPod #2 that I have these problems.  I'm wondering if this is an iPod issue, but after reading some odd reports about using two iPods with MC, it seems like this may be a MC issue.

Sometimes scanning to a different part of the song with iPod #2, causes a 10 to 15 second "lockup."  I only get this the FIRST time I use the iPod wheel to scan to a new part of a song.  It will work fine after this until I switch to a new album, at which time the momentary "lockup" happens again.  This doesn't always happen, some syncs don't show this behavior (although the Audible file issue I noted above ALWAYS happens -- i.e. I can't listen to Audible files on iPod #2 if I use MC to sync.)  This, just like the Audible problem, only happens with iPod #2 -- iPod #1 has never had this issue.

Are these symptoms of a malfuntioning iPod, or is it possible that these are being caused by using two iPods with MC, which are sometimes connected at the same time.  It's only the new iPod that is giving me problems (a 40Gig.)  The original iPod does not have these issues.  The thing that makes me think these problems are not the fault of the iPod is the fact that NONE of these issues happen when I use Ephpod to sync the same songs -- they are unique to both the particular iPod, and to using MC to sync.

Thanks,

Larry

markp99

• World Citizen
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2004, 08:59:31 am »

6) Dynamic playlist support.

Woohoo!! Steve, you made my day!!  :)  This will be well worth the wait! Good luck getting it to work.

rogowar

• Recent member
  • GeekMusic, Food, the Great Outdoors.
« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2004, 02:23:53 pm »

Sorry to beat the seriously maimed horse, but I wanted to know which basket to put all of my IPOD/ Audible eggs into.  Guess it's a barnyard metaphor day.

So, my deal is the same as most other people's, but I get unplayable Audible files on 9.1.316 as well as on every version of 10 I've tried.  I have paid for the 10 license, but have settled on 9.1.316 for my main "transfer" machine for the time being.  Where should I live?  As it's not working regardless of version for me now, and I think that was the only thing that was broken that I cared about so far, do you anticipate spending more time on the 10 fixes, or on 9 tweaks?  I'll just jump on whichever seems to be the most fruitful.  

Hey, thanks for all the work on this, and on the rest of this great product.  
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,"-that is all                 Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: January 27, 2004, 02:27:23 pm »

I think you just need to use itunes to transfer one audible file to the ipod.  Then MC should also work.  itunes sets the ipod up to be able to play audible.  MC can't.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #243 on: January 27, 2004, 05:28:24 pm »

I think you just need to use itunes to transfer one audible file to the ipod.  Then MC should also work.  itunes sets the ipod up to be able to play audible.  MC can't.

I believe you might be thinking of aac files, not audible (aa) files.  I NEVER used iTunes or Audible manager to transfer any audible files to either of my iPods, but they can both play audible files just fine except for certain circumstances.  One of my iPods (the "first" one) still works fine with audible files in any circumstance.  The other one (the "second" one), however, can only play audible files if I only transfer a limited number of overall files to the iPod.  I have yet to figure out what the limit is -- when I do a full sync they don't work, but when I do small, "partial" sync, they play fine.

If this were the famous "transfer one file" issue, neither or my iPods would work with audible files at all since I never did this.  If it wasn't for my second iPod, I would not be having problems with audible files at ALL.

As I understand it, it's only iTunes downloads (not audible files obtained with Audible Manager) that need the magic file on the iPod.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #244 on: January 27, 2004, 06:25:11 pm »

JimH,

Do you have any comments on the "2 iPod" inquiry a couple posts up?  Is it possible for the behavior I'm seeing could be caused by an issue with using multiple iPods with MC?

Are any of the other people having issues with Audible files (on MC 9 as well as 10) using more than one iPod?  I'm trying to find a link between the people having this issue.  So far, the patterns I've found on my system relating to this issue are 1) using 2 iPods (one of my iPods doesn't have this issue, the other one does) and 2) syncing large groups of files (if I sync a smaller group of files, the audible files work fine.)

Thanks,

Larry

jweisler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2004, 07:07:19 pm »

I've been using MC 9.1 for a while and love it.  I just followed directions for my first sync.  I have a Playlist group of iPOD and then a number of playlists/smartlists beneath, including an "All Music" smartlist.  I checked off the box for all of the lists and sublists under the iPOD group and then synced.  It is now complete.  Questions:

1.  My iPOD is in the dock still flashing "Do not disconnect".  Why?  What do I do?  I have left it there and I'll await an answer from you kind souls.

2.  What do I do in the future to resync everything new that I've added, including any new playlists?  Is there a shortcut so as to not have it go through everything it already moved over?  Do I need to check off one of the boxes that appears in the sync dialogure?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2004, 08:46:53 pm »

1.  My iPOD is in the dock still flashing "Do not disconnect".  Why?  What do I do?  I have left it there and I'll await an answer from you kind souls.

Because it's still mounted on a file system on your PC.  Open My Computer and you can browse its filesystem (not that you ever need to unless you also like to use your iPod as a portable hard disk).  To get it out of this mode, you need to eject it.  There are several ways: In MC, right-click on the iPod drive letter and choose the Eject command; in a Windows Explorer window (e.g., My Computer) you can do the same; or in your System Tray (at least on Windows XP), there's usually a mysterious icon with a green arrow called "Safely Remove Hardware", which you can click on and choose the iPod.

2.  What do I do in the future to resync everything new that I've added, including any new playlists?  Is there a shortcut so as to not have it go through everything it already moved over?  Do I need to check off one of the boxes that appears in the sync dialogure?

The synch tool in MC is smart enough not to copy over music files that you've already sent there, though it does still take a tiny bit of time on each playlist entry (I'm guessing it builds the playlists on iPod fresh every time).  So normally you don't need to do anything different.  If MC acquires new music files and you put them in existing playlist, then MC will copy over only the new files.  If you create new playlists or smartlists, they'll appear in the Synch dialog, and you'll need to tick their checkboxes in order to include them in the synch.  

SteveG

« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2004, 09:25:01 am »

Larry,

The fixes will apply only to MC 10.  2 IPods with MC with 9.1.316 should be OK but both would be subject to the limitation of problems arising from deleting and reimporting files into MC which are already on the iPod.

The Audible problems I do not think are related to two iPods. I will try to sort out Audible issues after the next release of the iPod plugin.

neo,

Sorry, what is PCNT and POPM?

Bri,

Yes, it should. Matching of files will be based on Name, Artist, Album, Genre and where relevant, bitrate.

rogowar,

Go with 10. Audible will be resolved after the next release of the plugin with major revisions which should be soon.

jweisler,

bvm has you covered. Thanks bvm.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2004, 03:24:14 pm »

Larry,

The fixes will apply only to MC 10.  2 IPods with MC with 9.1.316 should be OK but both would be subject to the limitation of problems arising from deleting and reimporting files into MC which are already on the iPod.

The Audible problems I do not think are related to two iPods. I will try to sort out Audible issues after the next release of the iPod plugin.

Based on what you know about the way in which MC works with the iPod, do the symptoms I'm describing make some sort of sense to you?  In other words, does it make sense that the Audible files would work on one iPod and not the other, or that the Audible problem seems dependant on how many files are in any given sync (yet are STILL only effecting one iPod)?

I'm just wondering if I should suspect the second iPod itself as the culprit.  I would tend to not think this given that an Ephpod sync works fine, but I'm still not sure what "can" or "can't" be attributed to MC specifically.

Thanks again,

Larry

jweisler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #249 on: January 28, 2004, 07:34:42 pm »

OK.  I'm up and running and it seems fine except:

Synced my whole collection. Two songs that are labeled correctly in MC as Bruce Springsteen songs go through to the iPod as Grateful Dead songs. All of the tag for the songs is correct except for the artist. Coincidentally, these same 2 songs are the only songs I ever used the Media Editor for.

I have since taken these songs and the whole album out of MC (delete) and resynced, but those songs still show up under Bruce Springsteen, and the rest of the album shows up under Grateful Dead.  (When I delete from MC and resync, don't they come off the iPOD, or do I have to do something else?)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up