INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Finding My Mouse Pointer...  (Read 5697 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
OT: Finding My Mouse Pointer...
« on: September 06, 2004, 06:57:45 pm »

With my new 24 inch widescreen monitor, I find that locating the mouse pointer is sometimes a minor nuisance.

I recall that when I used Win 98 there was an option (in Accessibility Options, I think) that would show a large round white ring around the mouse pointer that made it very easy to find the pointer.

Win XP does nor seem to have that feature anymore.

Does anyone know how it can be added back into Win XP or is there any other way to do it.

I do not want to use Mouse Trails; they drive me nuts as it is always turned on.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:OT: Finding My Mouse Pointer...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 06:59:24 pm »

The Logitech software has some nice options for that.  I think you can configure it to flash when you hit a key (ctrl?).

Maybe the pointer can be changed?

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 07:21:23 pm »

Hi Jim;

I have a new Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel mouse but don't see the Crtl key flash feature.

I have made the pointer bigger but it still can get lost sometimes off the screen.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Dragyn

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 08:56:56 pm »

Isn't that built into Windows? Try Mouse Options in the Control Panel. Could use mouse trails too.

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 09:00:08 pm »

That's where the Logitech MouseWare is located.

Hate Mouse Trails, they drive me nuts :P

Dragyn

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 09:03:02 pm »

I didn't say they wouldn't.  They drive me nuts too :P

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 11:46:36 am »

Yup, that's built into XP.
Maybe uninstall Logitech?  Does their Mouseware software give you anything that you really need?

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 11:52:40 am »

Yes, a lot of stuff but nothing to help find the mouse.

Does anyone know of freeware or shareware that enhances the mouse ?

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 11:55:32 am »

Sam; are you saying that if I unstall Logitech MouseWare and use only the default Windows mouse software that the mouse finder feature that I want is there ?

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 12:03:14 pm »

I have XP SP2, and the feature you describe is in Mouse Properties in the Control Panel, just below the pointer trails feature.
"Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key."

If you don't see it, I'm guessing that Logitech Mouseware removed that feature.  (But that's puzzling that Logitech would remove features...  do you have an old version of their mouse driver?)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 12:05:35 pm »

Doc,
Maybe your logitech software is old.

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 12:15:28 pm »

My MouseWare is current.

The area below the Mouse Trails is blank.

Think I will uninstall it then re-install to see it the mouse finder feature comes back.

I will also look at the default Win XP mouse software for the finder feature.

Thanks ;D

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 03:30:40 pm »

Found the problem... Logitech MouseMan software is removing the Ctrl button feature that pops up a large white circle around the mouse pointer to help you find a wayward mouse.

I uninstalled all MouseMan software; the default Win XP mouse software then had the Ctrl circle feature that I have been looking for.

I then installed the MouseMan CD that came with my mouse and the Ctrl circle feature is gone again.

Now I am contacting Logitech to see what is going on with them removing standard Win XP features.  The stinks >:(

DocLotus

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 04:14:36 pm »

Whoops :P

I spoke too soon :P

It is true that MouseMan software removed the Ctrl circle mouse finder check box from the MouseWare screen but, guess what... it still works anyway  ;D

I just updated the software to the very latest version and the Ctrl circle now works although there is still no check box to make it stop working if so desired.

Strange, very strange of Logitech to do these things ::)

DocLotus

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 04:19:28 pm »

I want to thank all of you who helped me track down this weird little problem.

It's little thinks like this that adds some more versatility to Win XP and when they are not working can detract from the fun of using a computer.

I can't believe I said "Fun using a computer".  :P

bebop

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 12:09:25 am »

Doc, this might or might not be what your're looking for, but i have this nifty little program called Cursor X-P  from Stardock. om...it's shareware and lets you make lots of changes to your cursor.  

Listening to: 'One Last Cry' from 'Hawaiian Sounds' by 'Justin' on Media Center 10

DocLotus

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 06:03:05 am »

I already have it including the whole StarDock Object Desktop and WinCustomize.

The mouse finder problem was resolved when I did the last update to the Logitech MouseMan software.  It was pressing the Crtl key and a big white circle would surround the mouse pointer.

Thanks for the thought.

bebop

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 10:01:18 am »

How do you like the object desktop?  Just got it and am lovin' it...but is wincustomize worth the extra bucKs? And is there a way to put the mini view of mc into the object dock?   B

DocLotus

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 10:38:12 am »

I've had it for two years now and have kept up with all the updates via StarDock Central.

I got it mainly for WindowBlinds, SkinStudio, and ObjectBar.

WindowBlinds, and SkinStudio are great products but ObjectBar has been a royal pain & I no longer use it.

I finally found a Taskbar within one of the WindowBlinds skins that I could apply to any other WindowBlinds using the "Always use the Taskbar desired" option.

WinCustomize is a rip off as far as I am concerned.  For $20.00 US, it seemed that I was getting nothing more then a few custom skin sets. I could get nearly the same effect using WindowBlinds plus some of the other features of ObjectDesktop.  My advice about WinCustomize is to save your money as it is simply not worth it.  With over 10,000 WindowBlinds skins available you can almost always find the one or two that turns you on.

StarDock worked very closely with Microsoft in the development of the original Win XP skins and has Microsoft's blessing; in fact, there are several WindowBlinds skins featured on some Microsoft web sites.

Most program run very well with WindoeBlinds, in fact WindowBlinds is actually faster then the original Win XP blue skin as StarDock uses something called Predictive Skinning where they only write the skin to memory every fourth of fifth time as the human eye can not see the difference.

That said, there is occasionally a problem with some programs, so there is a WindowBlinds option called Per Application that lets you customize what part of any program that gets skinned or not; works very well indeed.

After using WndowBlinds you will not want to go back to plain ol XP default skins.

HAVE FUN ;D

bebop

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 11:51:40 am »

Thanks, Doc!   ;D  Saving money is always a good thing!  Have just begun to scratch the surface on this window blinds thing, but I already Love it!  Right now usingXP Corona, and have downloaded a few more!  What windowblind  is your taskbar from, if you don't mind me asking?  Are Object Bar and Object Dock the same thing?

And you're right, I won't be going back to the old XP Skins.  I was spending way too much time changing them to resemble something I liked....used to use a little program called Desktop Archetect to change all the icons to ones I liked (hate those awful yellow folders!!!)  but this is much more efficient, and there are just soooo many choices!  Have been crusin' the deviant art site, and a few others - in fact I spent my entire weekend looking at all this amazing stuff that people have made.   I am in total awe!!!   ;D

DocLotus

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 12:44:12 pm »

I just checked my WindowBlinds folder and currently have 126 different WindowBlinds but only use a few of them.

My current Taskbar is from a WindowBlinds called Grayz; it has nice clean 3D look and is the color I wanted.  I sometimes change it to others.

ObjectBar lets you create your own custom Taskbars... you can go pretty wild with it.  I have had so much trouble with it that I no longer use it but that was a few versions ago; I may give it another try someday when I don't have anything else to do.

ObjectDock gives your Win XP a Mac look complete with icons that grow when you pass the mouse over them, but I find it to more gimmick then useful plus it can take up too much space on your desktop.

The Object Desktop (plus the other StarDock programs) is all about user choice, what may turn you on may turn me off and vis versa.

The biggest problem I had when first starting out with StarDock was trying to understand what all the many, many programs that they produced did; it was all so confusing as there is shuch a large choice.  I still get a little confused sometimes and have to stop and think just what each one does.

Time is the only cure, stick with it and slowly, very slowly, you will learn what they all do and when that day comes only then will it hit you as to just how large the choice is.

Object Desktop has been used in a lot of movies to make a standard Windows computer look like something from outer space or from another time and place.

StarDock has been commission on many occassions to created special Windows skins for movies, and various companies to give the basic Win-Tel computer a completely different look.

bebop

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2004, 03:30:17 pm »

Thanks for the info Doc, am really looking forward to getting to know my Stardoc Object Desktop.  there is alot of stuff included that I don't have a clue as to what they are for, but learning is what it's all about! Thanks again.  bet

bernardosi

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 04:23:22 am »

What about mac, does it exist kind CTRL for MAC OS X to?
I am ussing Logitech blut. mouse.
Thank you.

Bernardo ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up