INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M-Audio Revolution 7.1  (Read 4031 times)

davew01

• Change this by choosing profile
M-Audio Revolution 7.1
« on: November 10, 2004, 06:01:17 am »

I am looking at purchasing the Revolution 7.1 sound card from M-Audio. I friend of my is using one for DVD playback and the sound is unbelieveable. Problem is that the soundcard does not have an internal onboard connector for ai internal cable from PC's CD player to the soundcard for ripping CDs.  Can I  run an external cable from the front jack (headphones) of the CD player to the Line IN of the soundcard or is there another way to connect the CD player to the soundcard to transfer CD songs to the hard disk?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:M-Audio Revolution 7.1
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 06:27:06 am »

It is not needed. The audio data is transferred digitally directly from the CD using the standard IDE cable (or SCSI cable if you have a SCSI drive).

If you use an audio cable you get mediocre quality, because the audio is converted to analog format by the low quality DA circuit inside the CD/DVD drive.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

davew01

Re:M-Audio Revolution 7.1
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 07:25:22 am »

Alex, thanks a lot. I thought there might be a possibility that the IDE cable would be a data path as when loading data or programs from a CD, but was not sure.  

Best regards,

Dave

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: M-Audio Revolution 7.1
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 02:53:48 am »

Dave,

Did you get your M-Audio 7.1 card?

I was just wondering if it allowed using the different channels as different zones in MC?

Ie. Can I have the Digital output as Zone 1, Channel 1/2 output as Zone 2 and Channel 2/3 as Zone 3?

Cheers
Richard

davew01

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 08:08:14 am »

Richard, I got my card from newegg.com website.  I believe at the time they had the best price, it was in stock and I have good dealings with them before. Plenty of good sources for the card.  I have been extremely happy with the card.  Unfortunately it only has one digital and one set of analog outputs. I am not sure if you can active both at the same time. I run the digital output though my ELAN system to get individual zoning.

I do believe the  M-audio has multi-zone cards, you might check at:               http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family .

Also, I know Russound has some relatively inexpensive zoning products.

Best regards,

Dave

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 06:57:25 pm »

Unfortunately it only has one digital and one set of analog outputs. I am not sure if you can active both at the same time. I run the digital output though my ELAN system to get individual zoning.

Also, I know Russound has some relatively inexpensive zoning products.

Dave,

I am in the process of planning thewiring and a whole-house audio system for a new home construction.  I was almost convinced on the Russound.  Howeve, I then looked at the Elan.  You mention that the Elan can do digital input, how?  Which model?  I like that the Elan S6 has sperarate components which allow you to also connect telephone, paging, intercom, doorbell, etc., and of course a video controller.

Can you share any experiences with the wiring that you instlaled for the Elan?  I've seen other posts here and at AVS but still trying to map out a schematic of the whole setup to ensure it meets future expansion needs.  I want to install audio only, at first, but be able to do video, CCTV, home controls (lighting, A/C, appliances), eventually.

Need to make sure all the wiring is in during construction.

Thanks!

Any input would be appreciated. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up