INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NOMAD JUKEBOX / ZEN / Micro Issues  (Read 21008 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
NOMAD JUKEBOX / ZEN / Micro Issues
« on: January 26, 2005, 02:24:10 pm »

Everyone,

Please use this thread to raise any issues related to MC and Nomad Jukebox/Zen and Micro.

Thanks,

Steve

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re: NOMAD JUKEBOX / ZEN / Micro Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 08:46:09 pm »

I've got the latest Creative Firmware/Drivers for my Nomad Jukebox 3.

I've connected it up via 1394 (firewire), and transferring files to my PC (right-click, "Download to PC" in Media Center), is REALLY slow. I would have thought that firewire transfer would have been plenty fast.

---
Media Center Registered 11.0.184 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1993 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 57 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4240N  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Cheers
Rob

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 02:49:55 pm »

Can you compare the speed of transfer using any other applications?

Steve

Robert Taylor

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 11:33:39 am »

Gday,

Using Nomad Explorer, I transferred The-B52's Wild Planet album completely in about 30 seconds across firewire.

Doing the same thing in MC took between 4 and 5 minutes.

I just updated to the latest MC (11.0.188), and it's still very slow.

Cheers
Rob
Cheers
Rob

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 12:17:50 pm »

My transfers go extremely fast, not a problem. 
I do have one question...
When syncing I would like for the music to be normalized prior to loading it on the zen.  The zen has that capability but it really burns up the battery.  If the music is alreay normalized (replay gain ajusted) then I would not have to turn that option on and the battery would last longer. 
This option would work the same way it does when I create a CD (wav files) to play in the car..
Any thoughts on the ability to do this in the sync routine?
Thanks, all is working very well.

Robert Taylor

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 12:42:48 pm »

Gary,

Are your transfers running via Firewire?
Cheers
Rob

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 01:27:37 pm »

No, sorry, I am running via USV 2.0

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 03:21:14 pm »

Steve,
   I'm currently using firmware 1.01.03 on the Zen Micro.  I'm thinking about signing up for Napster To Go which supports transfers to the ZM if you upgrade to beta firmware 2.10.05. (This just came out on 2/5/05).
   Have you had any experience yet with the new firmware?  I'm wondering if there will be problems with it and MC.
   Also, is it possible to import the Napster To Go downloaded tracks into MC?  They are 128kb WMA protected.  And if they can be imported and played in the library, will I be able to use MC for transfer, or must I use the Napster provided program?
   As a heads up, you may get similar questions about Napster from iRiver H10 owners.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 03:59:16 pm »

I'd be cautious about going to the new software since it is based on the next version of Windows Media, which MC doesn't yet support.  It might work, but you'd be wise to watch others do it first.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 04:22:53 pm »

Thanks Jim.  I will be cautious, and I was asking to hopefully gain confidence that I can do what I described without problems. 

Are you referring to the Napster To Go software being based on the next version of Windows Media or the Creative Firmware? Is there some beta of WMP available?  I thought WMP10 was current.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 04:24:25 pm »

Try a google search for "Janus" or "tethered download".  That's what the Napster to Go system uses.  It's Windows Media 10, not Windows Media Player 10.  It's just starting to come out and I think it may create a bit of a mess for a while, with lots of incompatibility issues.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 07:49:12 pm »

Jim, I searched as you suggested and I understand a little better now. 

I am tempted to see how well Napster To Go works with the Zen Micro,  but I will look for some reports of positive experiences first.  Next, I would keep the Napster downloaded files separate from Media Center.  If my experience is a disaster, I would stop using Napster and revert back the Zen Micro firmware if necessary.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 08:22:03 pm »

If you update, you will probably have to update Windows Media, too.  It may be part of the Napster software.  I'm not sure you'll be able to go back.  That's why I said to watch what happens to others.

Best of luck!

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 04:04:57 pm »

Lunch,

The could you get the next build of MC (probably tomorrow) and see if things improve. I cannot replicate your issue, but took a stab at some changes that may help. This has the feeling of driver issues about it.

Steve

Robert Taylor

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 10:05:56 am »

Okay Steve,

I am now running 11.0.192, but I haven't tested the firewire transfer to NJ3 with the new version. If it's still slow when I do, I will check out the Creative driver version etc.

Thanks
Cheers
Rob

Robert Taylor

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 10:01:47 am »

Steve,

I'm now running 11.0.193. I haven't changed anything else (Creative drivers etc.).

Still doing transfers via firewire...

Now transfers are at least as fast as Creative Nomad Explorer, if not faster.

Many thanks
Cheers
Rob

kcorbett

• Recent member
  • we wanna make him stay up all night here we go
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2005, 11:22:39 pm »

Sorry I somehow missed this thread when I was looking for advice. Please see my posting "MC 11 first sync nomad zen xtra deleting all files". I would appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks,

/kmc

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2005, 02:27:53 pm »

I tried 193 but had too many problems, went back to 190 and all is well I sync my 4000+ to zen very quickly.
193 was causing a very large slowdown using usb with zen

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 05:29:37 pm »

TXGary,

I tried 193 but had too many problems

With Zen or other problems?

193 was causing a very large slowdown using usb with zen

There were no changes in the upload code between MC and the Zen, so if there was a slowdown, we should look at other possibilities including hardware / drivers/ etc.

Steve

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2005, 06:09:19 pm »

When I went back to 190 all worked very well.

Two things happened in 193, not sure how MC was to handle it, but it did not handle it very well.

1.-  Got a reorg on the zen during sync, MC did not like that

2.- Then got a battery low msg on the zen.  Again, MC did not handle very well.

I plugged in my charger, and rebooted everything, then MC showed that it was to sync 1100 songs (far more than I had changed or added)  I only sync one way.  to the zen and delete any on zen not in playlist on MC.
Once I got back to sync it was syncing at a fraction of the speed.  And too many files.
So I reloaded 190 and synced with the same database and all went very fast.  So Not sure what to make of that.  I am on 190 and happy for now.

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 12:06:05 pm »

Got a reorg on the zen during sync, MC did not like that

Sorry, I do not understand what this means.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2005, 01:51:43 pm »

The zen has the ability to rebuild the library.  That is what I meant to say.  You can invoke this by going to the reset mode.. I did not go to the reset mode, so not sure why it invoked the library rebuild.  But it did.  May have been associated with the low battery.  That can certainly cause lots of problems. 
Sould I retry 193?  I am a bit concerned with it.
Sorry I was not more clear

Robert Taylor

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 02:12:28 pm »

TXGary,

Ive noticed my Nomad Jukebox 3 does the library rebuild periodically. I haven't really been able to detect any pattern either, although at one point it seemed like it did it after transferring large numbers of files to it (as if it's forced to rebuild (reindex???) the library).

When this happens on mine, it happens immediately after you power the thing up. Now I only power on my Nomad without being connected to 1394. I only connect it to PC/Firewire once it is fully booted.
Cheers
Rob

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 02:14:49 pm »

That is probably a good idea.  I just never thought about it.  Will now.  Thanks for the info.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 02:57:27 pm »

SteveG
I downloaded 193 again and synced the zen.  Everything worked fine this time.  Sorry for the confusion I caused.

Thanks for all the good work.

SteveG

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2005, 09:32:23 am »

Glad for the happy ending  :)

UnknownID

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 10:59:27 pm »

There are some very strange things happening with MC with my Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra connected:

1. Bitrate is not being defined correctly. All the MP3s are a constant 256, but each one wanders (approx 256-259).

2. No matter how hard I try, I cannot get the tracks to show in track order. The sequence overrides the track order, but I cannot see what the sequence is referencing; the files are not sorted by number, name, etc. I tried to customize the view with track order as the primary by selecting the Album view underneath the Jukebox Node on the tree, then I hit, Action Window > Tag Info > Select the upper left option menu > Columns to show > Customize Current view; it simply wont take the change.

I did it this way because I cannot right click on the column headers to bring up a menu.

BTW I have “Sort by track # for single albums” selected. Shouldn’t this work here as well?

3. Right clicking on any sub-node in the Jukebox node causes a blank error message to appear with a big white X in a red circle and an OK button.

4. After uploading or deleting, the new files do not appear until I unplug the device and reconnect it (I do not use the sync feature).

5. I remember a while ago I was able to transfer a playlist to the jukebox. I don’t seem to be able to do that anymore.

6. Another oddity. I had a crash in the middle of a transfer, I got one of those “application 00000000x0 caused an error in 00000000x0” messages (not right numbers), and now permanently have “handheld path” as a column header under any node within the jukebox node. Sorry, I do not know how to reproduce the error.

So you know I am running:
windows 2000
MC v11.0.193
Jukebox Plugin 11.0.9
Firmware: 1.20.08

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help or any other information you need.

Good Luck!
UnknownID

SteveG

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2005, 10:30:59 am »

It appears that MC is not running the correct version of the Zen plugin. Can you go to Tools->Plugin Manager->Handheld->Nomad Jukebox and verify what version is installed for me?

Thanks.

Steve

UnknownID

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2005, 10:37:44 am »

Here you go:

Name: Nomad Jukebox
Version: 11.0.09

I hope this helps :)
UnknownID

*I am now running MC v11.0.196. Also, the download page lists the Zen plugin as v11.0.07.

UnknownID

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2005, 11:06:24 am »

On a whim I decided to redownload the v11.0.07 version of the zen plugin and magically v11.0.11 installed in the plugin manager. I will check the issues I noted before.

You might want to change the version number on the download plugin page. Or maybe the "check for updates" feature could check to see if there are any new versions of the plugins already installed since I used that before I wend to the download plugin page. Just a thought ;D ;D ;D

UnknownID

UnknownID

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2005, 12:18:51 pm »

Updated list of problems with Zen Jukebox and MC:

1. Jukebox Zen Node > Album SubNode – After deleting files under this SubNode, the files remain in the Jukebox Zen Node.

2. The bitrate being displayed for MP3 and WMA files on MC for files on the Zen fluctuate from about +/-5. The files are being converted form APE at a constant bitrate. This also applies to MP3 and WMA files that already exist in MC that were encoded at a constant bitrate and then transferred to the handheld.

3. When transferring files from APE to MP3 256 and the files already exist on the Jukebox Zen, MC spends the time converting the file before it checks to see if the file exists on the handheld, only to skip the file. (waste of time)

4. In that same scenario checking the box “apply to all” does nothing and each file requests guidance on what to do.

5. Right-Clicking on any non-selected SubNode causes the SubNode to be selected when the right mouse button is down and jumps back to the main Node when released. Shouldn’t it just act as a left mouse click and remain selected when using the left or right mouse button?

6. Right-clicking on a playlist and sending to Jukebox Zen will transfer the files, but will not transfer the playlist. I seem to remember being able to do this a while back. Was this feature removed?

7. This may or may not be part of the plug-in: when converting APE files to either MP3 320 or WMA 320 on occasion the left audio channel of a file will have some background static when playing back on the Jukebox Zen. I tried this again at MP3 256 and the files are fine. I will continue to test.

8. When viewing single albums on the Jukebox Zen Node > Album Node > Specific Album Node, the files appear in a random order.  Shouldn’t these be sorted by track number for single albums? I have this option checked in the options menu.

9. When on the main Jukebox Zen Node, MC will not bring up a right-click menu on the field headers for customization. You can, however, access customization by click on that Node and using the Action Window > Tag Info > Top Left button > Columns to Show > Customize Current View. This will customize sorting and the like, but saving this view for any SubNode fails. AKA I can sort by track number here (which has no value in doing so), but I cannot sort by track number in the SubNode (which has a high value for doing so).

Statistics:
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
MediaCenter v11.0.196 beta
Jukebox Zen Plugin v11.0.11
Zen Firmware: 1.20.08

Please let me know if there is any other information you need from me. I am happy to help!

Good Luck!
UnknownID

SteveG

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 01:50:53 pm »

First off, try running 'Check for Updates' again. You need to have Plugin 11.0.13. If that does not work, go to Plugin Manager and delete the plugin and then when you reconnect to Zen, the correct plugin should install.

1. Jukebox Zen Node > Album SubNode – After deleting files under this SubNode, the files remain in the Jukebox Zen Node.

Cannot replicate with 11.0.13.

2. The bitrate being displayed for MP3 and WMA files on MC for files on the Zen fluctuate from about +/-5. The files are being converted form APE at a constant bitrate. This also applies to MP3 and WMA files that already exist in MC that were encoded at a constant bitrate and then transferred to the handheld.

Could not replicate in the following test...

Transferred 3 mp3 128 files to Zen with wma 48 conversion enabled. All files transfer and report as 48 kbps after the transfer.

3. When transferring files from APE to MP3 256 and the files already exist on the Jukebox Zen, MC spends the time converting the file before it checks to see if the file exists on the handheld, only to skip the file. (waste of time)

Cannot replicate with 11.0.13. Files should not appear in the queue if they are on the Zen. For the files to be the same, they must have the same Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track Number. If you send a file that is similar but has different information in any of these fields, the track will be resent.

4. In that same scenario checking the box “apply to all” does nothing and each file requests guidance on what to do.

This maked me suspect you were issued a warning that you are sending files which are duplicates before initiating the transfer. Try again with the new plugin and be detailed about what you are seeing if the problem remains, paying close attention to whether you are sending files with the same tag info in the Name, Artist, Album, and Genre fields (Tack Number is ignored by Zen when reporting duplicates but is used by MC).

5. Right-Clicking on any non-selected SubNode causes the SubNode to be selected when the right mouse button is down and jumps back to the main Node when released. Shouldn’t it just act as a left mouse click and remain selected when using the left or right mouse button?

Not at this time because of the ownership of the right click internally in MC.

7. This may or may not be part of the plug-in: when converting APE files to either MP3 320 or WMA 320 on occasion the left audio channel of a file will have some background static when playing back on the Jukebox Zen. I tried this again at MP3 256 and the files are fine. I will continue to test.

Please test in MC without transfer to Zen. The result should be the same as the rencoding code is the same.

8. When viewing single albums on the Jukebox Zen Node > Album Node > Specific Album Node, the files appear in a random order.  Shouldn’t these be sorted by track number for single albums? I have this option checked in the options menu.

This order is not random, it is the upload file order as reflected in the 'Sequence' column. This can be customized to work better for Zen in the future. For some devices the upload order is important and that is why it is set this way.

When on the main Jukebox Zen Node, MC will not bring up a right-click menu on the field headers for customization.

This can be looked at in the future.

UnknownID

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 04:28:10 pm »

Thank you for the most through response I have ever received on the forum!

My apologies for not being on the same page as you regarding the 11.0.13 plugin. I first tried to update using the “Check for updates” option. It checked, but nothing came up (saying I needed or didn't need an update). I manually removed the plugin and downloaded it from the plugin's page (the page still says v11.0.07), so now I have 11.0.13

Also, I restarted MC after loading the plugin and I am starting with a blank Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra (hereafter referred to as Zen or handheld)

My responses (now that I am using the most recent plugin):

This is working fine now ;D

It took me a while to figure out what was going on with the icons beside the track names on the “Zen Node” ; they kept changing. I notice that when I first upload the 5 files (with having nothing on the Zen previously) MC uses the “Scheme Group” icon instead of the “Audio” icon. After I disconnect the Zen and reconnect it, the icons become “Audio”. I then uploaded 4 more files which display the “Scheme Group” icon while the others display the “Audio” icon. I wasn’t sure if this was a bug or intentional.

Test 01: I uploaded 5 files that were ripped as 256 CBR MP3 files. The “Zen Node” displays the bitrate correctly. But, the “Zen Node > Album Node > Specific Album Node” still shows the slight fluctuation in bitrate.

Test 02: I uploaded 5 files that were ripped as APE Normal and converted to 256 WMA files.  Same results as stated in Test 01.

This is working fine now ;D

When resending the APE files to the handheld the notice “files already exist and will be removed from the queue” displays and nothing appears in the transfer queue. ;D ;D ;D

Cannot get to this point since issue number 3 is working correctly for me now ;D

I understand; no argument here.

6. Right-clicking on a playlist and sending to Jukebox Zen will transfer the files, but will not transfer the playlist. I seem to remember being able to do this a while back. Was this feature removed?

You didn’t respond to this one, but I check it anyway with the new build. I am still unable to upload a playlist. Was this feature removed?

Test 01: I converted 10 APE Normal files to MP3 CBR 320. I listened to part of each of the 10 track once with the left channel only and once with the right channel only on my computer. The sound was perfect. Next I uploaded those same files to the Zen. (My apologies for not stating this correctly before) the RIGHT audio channel on a few of the tracks had the static. I rechecked the same file on the PC and it was fine.

Test 02. I converted 10 APE Normal files to MP3 CBR 256 and followed the same steps as above. All the audio sounded correct. I assume that it is the Zen’s fault in this matter not MC; too much for the Zen’s processor?

(On a side note, MC kept stealing focus after it converted the files (using “Library Tools > Convert Format” ) to let me know it was saving the tag changes and then when all the files were converted. I don’t mind the notification if I am viewing MC, but I was trying to do something else since it takes a little bit of time and it got annoying. Maybe this should be part of the Action Window, like converting files during transfers?)

Thanks for your consideration of this feature.

9. When on the main Jukebox Zen Node, MC will not bring up a right-click menu on the field headers for customization. You can, however, access customization by click on that Node and using the Action Window > Tag Info > Top Left button > Columns to Show > Customize Current View. This will customize sorting and the like, but saving this view for any SubNode fails. AKA I can sort by track number here (which has no value in doing so), but I cannot sort by track number in the SubNode (which has a high value for doing so).

Thanks for your consideration of this feature.

Statistics:
Windows 2000 Professional SP4
MediaCenter v11.0.196 beta
Jukebox Zen Plugin v11.0.13
Zen Firmware: 1.20.08

Again, if there is anything else you need please let me know.

Good Luck!
UnknownID

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2005, 04:56:44 pm »

unknown,
Not that your way doesn't work, but you can add quotes by inserting your text between

[ quote ]  but remove the spaces around "quote"

and

[ /quote ] again remove the spaces.

You can generate these by hitting the quote button above the message text area (the button with the "balloon").  Then type your text between them.

It will look like this:

[ quote ] like this [ /quote ]

and without the spaces it looks like this:
like this

It's a lot easier to read.

UnknownID

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2005, 05:05:13 pm »

Thanks for the tip. But how do you subquote? I tried below first so I could qoute Steve quoting me, but as you can see the quote you made isn't quoted. I tried for a little while, but got tired and resorted to bolding my origional statement.

unknown,
Not that your way doesn't work, but you can add quotes by inserting your text between

[ quote ] but remove the spaces around "quote"

and

[ /quote ] again remove the spaces.

You can generate these by hitting the quote button above the message text area (the button with the "balloon"). Then type your text between them.

It will look like this:

[ quote ] like this [ /quote ]

and without the spaces it looks like this:
It's a lot easier to read.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 05:44:53 pm »

Thanks for the tip. But how do you subquote? I tried below first so I could qoute Steve quoting me, but as you can see the quote you made isn't quoted. I tried for a little while, but got tired and resorted to bolding my origional statement.

This board software ( YABB ) removes quotes within a quote, which I think is a good thing.  Otherwise, it can get really hard to read.

UnknownID

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005, 05:55:57 pm »

This board software ( YABB ) removes quotes within a quote, which I think is a good thing. Otherwise, it can get really hard to read.

I guess I saw that trick somewhere else and you are right... it was hard to read.

I am learning as I go ;D ;D ;D

Thanks,
UnknownID "First time forum user"

Time to get back on track... Steve?

SteveG

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2005, 05:08:06 pm »

Unknown,

In regards to item 2, this is most likely the result of how Zen is reporting the bitrate for these songs. At the root node, MC is not asking Zen for the information, but rather reporting cached info. It would be interesting to test sending the file from Zen to your PC (right click on the file in the view) and then see what MC reports as the bitrate.

In regards to item 6, this never would have sent the playlist in addition to the files. To do what you want, try drag and dropping the playlist on the Action Bin. What you want can be added in the future.

Steve

UnknownID

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2005, 05:57:52 pm »

In regards to item 2, this is most likely the result of how Zen is reporting the bitrate for these songs. At the root node, MC is not asking Zen for the information, but rather reporting cached info.

I checked the root node today and the files are not reporting correctly anymore. So you are right, it must have been showing cached info.

It would be interesting to test sending the file from Zen to your PC (right click on the file in the view) and then see what MC reports as the bitrate.

I downloaded a file to my desktop that was showing 259 kbps. I used the "open media file" in MC and sure enough the kbps is reporting correctly (256kbps). The only other thing I could think to try is to see the bitrate on the Zen from another program that can access that information. Not that I am trying to prove you wrong, I just want to be sure it is not MC or the plugin causing the problem.

In regards to item 6, this never would have sent the playlist in addition to the files. To do what you want, try drag and dropping the playlist on the Action Bin. What you want can be added in the future.

That sounds good. This is high on my desired list for this plugin. I make a lot of playlists and I hate having to remake them on the Zen; way to cumbersome. As for the drag-and-drop suggestion, I tried dragging a playlist to the "action window > handheld player - Drop Files Here" location, but it just transferred the files and not the playlist (was this what you were referring to as that Action Bin???).

UnknownID

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2005, 06:49:30 pm »

Nice use of quotes.

UnknownID

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2005, 06:55:52 pm »

Thank you ;D

UnknownID

SteveG

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2005, 10:05:00 am »

UnknownID,

The next build of MC will renable the ability to drag and drop a playlist on the Action Bin and have the playlist appear on the device.

The 'send to' option will continue to be only file based (i.e. not send the playlist ) at this time.

I make a lot of playlists and I hate having to remake them on the Zen;

Why not use the synchronization feature and then this problem goes away?

Steve

UnknownID

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2005, 10:36:37 am »

The next build of MC will renable the ability to drag and drop a playlist on the Action Bin and have the playlist appear on the device.

Thank you ;D ;D ;D

The 'send to' option will continue to be only file based (i.e. not send the playlist ) at this time.

Then could this be more clear? like "Send Files To:"

Conceptually I think I am sending what I click on. AKA I am sending a single file when clicking on a single file, the album when clicking on the album, and the playlist when clicking on the playlist. Not the FILES of the album when clicking on album or the FILES of the playlist when clicking on a playlist.

Why not use the synchronization feature and then this problem goes away?

My story:
One week ago I got the urge to move to the APE encoding system. I have been using MP3 at 256 CBR for many, many, many years now; the idea of lossless appealed to me. I began re encoding some of my CDs. Also, I knew I would have to add an extra step when sending files to my Zen (conversion), so I also thought that I would explore 320kbps in WMA and MP3. I did a number of tests, timed them, and recorded the data to find to optimal solution. Throughout this testing process I came across the problems I stated above.

The reason I do not use the sync feature is because the conversion mechanism is not detailed enough. I have on my system APE, MP3 256, and MP3 128. I have not explored the sync options because of my understanding of what sync means (have the same files on both devices) and I don't want to convert 128kbps to 256kbps and have it take up more space on the Zen. After I convert all of my CDs I will still have those same file types. Some of the music I downloaded from the internet (My one 128 kbps Album and my one 256kbps Album are soundtracks for videogames that the developers put on their web sites; perfectly legal).

The real reason I haven’t explored the sync feature is that I found the WMA 256 takes a lot less time to convert then the MP3 encoder. My ideal situation would be to convert the APE files to WMA 256 and have MC just transfer the MP3 file types without converting. Maybe that is another request; maybe you think this idea is a bad idea. I just know that I have an eclectic collection of file music types in MC and I don’t think that will change.

I just know that from working with jpg files for clients that converting jpg files from one compression to another destroys quality so I don't want to mess with the original encoding format since I don't have the source WAVs. So, to solve that problem I queue up the files I want to transfer, change the options, and transfer manually.

Thanks for all your help Steve!
UnknownID

SteveG

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2005, 11:43:29 am »

I have not explored the sync options because of my understanding of what sync means (have the same files on both devices)..

When synching with MC no files in MC are deleted or changed (unless you are using iPod in which case the ratings, last played and play count fields are updated in MC).

My ideal situation would be to convert the APE files to WMA 256 and have MC just transfer the MP3 file types without converting.

This cannot currently be done in one step. You could transfer the wma with conversion on then transfer the mp3 with conversion off and then once the files are on the Zen any synching will modify playists, but will not resend the files.  We could add a feature that would provide more control over the conversion logic in the future.

Steve

UnknownID

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2005, 10:39:29 pm »

When synching with MC no files in MC are deleted or changed (unless you are using iPod in which case the ratings, last played and play count fields are updated in MC).

I understand that, but I was referring to converting up from MP3 128 (on MC) to WMA 256 (on Zen); I was a little tired when I wrote that reply so some of it might not have made sense. Sorry about that ;D ;D ;D

This cannot currently be done in one step. You could transfer the wma with conversion on then transfer the mp3 with conversion off

Again, I said that already, but alas, fatigue from the day had set in.

any synching will modify playists, but will not resend the files.

Cool, I will give it a shot.

We could add a feature that would provide more control over the conversion logic in the future.

That would be wonderful!

Thanks!
UnknownID

Buckaroo

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Deeds, not words.
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2005, 06:40:42 pm »

So, I upgraded to the new firmware (2.10.05) without reading this thread, and now I can't get my Zen Micro to sync with MC11, only lousy WMP10.

Now I can't even go back to the old firmware (which I did know).

How screwed am I, and for how long?
Keeping the world safe for short SIGs

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2005, 06:43:32 pm »

It's possible that when we switch to the Windows Media 10 (not WMP 10) that things may improve.  Possible.

That should happen in a few days.

UnknownID

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2005, 10:45:34 am »

Steve,

Recently I downloaded the new plugin for the Nomad series (v11.0.16). I wanted to know what was updated / changed. Since I know there were things discussed in this thread and many others that would "possibly be implemented in the future" it would be nice to see what is changing.

Maybe a sticky could be made for each of the plugins, like MC in the MC forum, with the latest plugin. Issues can be discussed there and a listing of the latest changes and fixes would be available.  Also, that would let people know when a new and updated plugin is available for their portable.

UnknownID

SteveG

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2005, 11:58:00 am »

Buckaroo,

Until MC is modified to cover MTP support, you are out of luck with the Micro if you installed the beta firmware which can't be removed. You would be OK if you could remove the firmware, but Creative informs us that this is not possible.

UnknownID,

A good idea. Will try to implement.

Steve

Robert Taylor

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2005, 05:20:15 pm »

I've installed the latest Media Center - 11.0.218, and firewire transfers between my laptop and Nomad 3 are back to being PAINFULLY slow again.

---
Media Center Registered 11.0.218 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1993 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 88 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2573 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2578 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.041130-1729) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4240N  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up