INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why isn't Media Center more successful?  (Read 10990 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Why isn't Media Center more successful?
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2005, 03:58:24 pm »

For starters, one of the things JR should do *immediately* is separate the forums for MC10 (a stable product) from those from MC11 (alpha? beta?).

I would *love* to recommend MC to friends - but if I did, I'd be creating a lot of work for myself...

Likewise, and worse yet, if MC doesn't evolve and the others DO then I'd get the flak for it.  The power of using the existing customer base for increasing sales is something a great many companies fail to use effectively.   Nothing is more cost effective than a repeat customer except for a new customer sold BY an existing one. 

silkshadow

• Recent member
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2005, 02:02:19 am »

What about the combo appeals the most?

First of all the power and flexibility of Meedio's library extended to MC's already solid library system. The "rate" screen giving me an easy way, via remote and TV, to rate and classify my music as its playing. Visualization integration including (something I discovered MC does not do) the ability to change visualizations via the remote. Easy customizable track info without the need of endless plugins to achieve a display that is never exactly what you want. Random playback integration. Remote extension from Meedio to MC without having to configure anything. Internet radio and launch music videos all controlled via Meedio meaning easy to read and use on TV.

Sapphire

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2005, 08:13:43 am »

It is successfull, just a lot still don't know about it as they do with some others.

Anything "Pro" sells add that at the end of the Product description unless you have plans in the future of having a pro and basic version either way far off enough as to not affect atm.

Publicity, get it out there in the sites that follow betas and new releases. We see many appz with updates as often as this beta, they get the hits, depends if u want to go that direction. Along with publicity will come focus on cracking.

The retail 10 series is old now and retail is what a lot of n00bs will watch. Without constant updates to that it will become stale to a point.

Just my 2 cents.

Melissa

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2005, 04:18:11 pm »

* Seperate your development version in the forums from the live version.

* Dhills MC plugin for Meedio is what Theatre View should be. It really is fantastic. I appreciate that fact that you have listened to lots of my feedback in the past but I am using this combo now. For a HTPC to work properly, it should never leave it's front end. With this combo I can play music, play a film, rip a CD and get it's track and cover info, and watch TV with a scheduling program guide. This is a growing market and I hope you don't miss the boat. The zones and AlbumArtist are the only things keeping MC11 in the backend.

* I think adding development time to the Library Browser was a bad choice. I've tried to use it and it just doesn't seem worth it. No one I know uses it and you can see that there are very few posts regarding it on the forums. It just doesn't serve a good enough purpose. Even now when I click on it, I have to pause for 5 seconds to see what I need to do to get what I want! This development time should have been spent on the issues people seem to continually ask for. Namely, DVD improvements, Cover Art improvement, Theatre View improvements.

* The skeleton of a perfect product is now in place (Panes saw to that.) Now you need to polish those features. Don't add new things that just overcomplicate the product. I won't go into Library Browser again, but document support is a good example (I have never used those five buttons in the top right and I can't imaging anyone selecting Just Documents. I have a customisable tree to do this if I want it.) Get this product polished like a gem. Add dvd buttons, let me add ffdShow to the graph, support Various Artists properly, remove false positives from Cover Art search, tidy the YABB results, add support for more MC11 features in Theatreview, support DVB-T cards etc etc.

* My mate had is LCD TV running with MS MP10 playing. He had lovely blue clouds floating towards the screen with a graphic equalizer at the bottom and 100% success rate with his cover art and titles. He is a complete layman and yet got something slick, flash and usable with a fraction of the work I would need to do. MC11 could still be this 'simple' and still have all the power features where they are now. There is no need for compremise.

I love what I love in MC11, I'm just playing the Devils Advocate.  :-*

Kind Regards

Vic

P.S. Can I just tell you about my most annoying thing in MC11 that always make me look elsewhere:

Album Artist is in someways more important than Artist. It's what keeps a CD together no matter the content. Yet:-

I can't have this as a fixed tag (If you can 'Auto' it you can permanatly store it. I dont mean manually fill it in. I mean save it on Rip and access to Yabb. And have an option to copy the contents of AlbumArtist(auto) into AlbumArtist.

It should display Various Artist not Multiple Artist in the database and it should display Various Artist not Assorted in the filesystem. This is the standard of music labels.

With these done you could then search for cover art using Album Artist and increase the success rate for compilations by about 30%.

With the improved success in cover art results I should by able to choose any of the following for saving (everyone had there favorites - mines number 4):-

1) Save all images in a cover art folder
2) Save images in file
3) Save image as folder.jpg
4) Save image in folder as AlbumArtist - AlbumName.jpg

This is what would make my organising sooo much nicer and is the reason I bought MC. If i just wanted to play files I'd use MS MP10.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2005, 04:43:51 pm »

Bloody hell Vic!  I think you got it in one... err 2.. or maybe 3 but you definately nailed it. 

Well done mate for saying what most of us are thinking.  This is great feedback for the team - lets' hope they see it that way.
JLee
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up