INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any chance Remote Wonder gets fixed in release?  (Read 6247 times)

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Any chance Remote Wonder gets fixed in release?
« on: April 28, 2005, 11:24:41 am »

EOM

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Any chance Remote Wonder gets fixed in release?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:18:53 pm »

::)

The Illest Villain

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 04:57:21 pm »

You'll need the key factory plug-in for Ati remote wonder. After that you'll be able to configure the remote the way you want. I use my remote wonder that way and its great.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 07:59:19 pm »

I am using key factory plug-in, but it cannot be configured differently for different programs.

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 11:08:19 pm »

What's so different (remote-wise) between the previous versions of MC where the ATI RW/X-10 plugin worked and now with v11 it doesn't anymore? And can't this be fixed?? This is a real deal-breaker for me. I won't be moving to v11 until this is fixed!

Key  Factory is not a viable solution as the remote then won't work with other apps.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 07:29:34 am »

I don't think we changed anything in that area.  Are you sure you have the plug-in set up?

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 10:26:11 am »

What is Key Factory plugin anyway?
My multimedia keyboard keys seem to work. As work around I programmed letter keys on remote to
simulte play and stop buttons from keyboard. Not the best thing but at least some solution. 

modelmaker

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 02:39:45 pm »

>Jim, I've installed and uninstalled the X-10 plugin several times. It just doesn't start after you hit the start button. It worked fine in versions 9.x and 10. Other plugins worked fine, (ie. slideshow, writeplayingnow, etc.).

As you can see from other posts I am not the only one with this issue. Everyone that has tried to use the ATI RW in v11 has had to find a work-around to make it work, you can use Key Factory (http://catsoft.wz.cz/sp/rwkeyfactory.php) to reconfigure, but then the RW doesn't work with any of the other apps it used to work with. That's not really an acceptable solution in a HTPC setup.
Jay.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 02:40:42 pm »

Did you try re-configuring it?  In Settings/options/remote?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 03:01:36 pm »

Did you try re-configuring it?  In Settings/options/remote?

Edit: I just noticed you said it won't start.  I'll see if we can check it out.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 02:55:02 pm »

Jim, I have this issue as well (and I think quiite a few others do too), and would really like to see this issue resolved, as the main buttons (Play, FF, RW, Stop, etc)  on my RW2 remote control are useless for MC currently.  The KeyFactory plugin is unsatisfactory for me as well (again, because it breaks the functionality in every other program).

I posted a detailed description of the problem here  a couple of weeks ago, including my attempts to use the X10 Girder plugin.  There are some responses from others there as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 03:18:35 pm »

Modelmaker-
Could you describe the remote hardware you're using and the MC remote plugin you're using so I can test it out here?

Thanks!
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 04:51:19 pm »

I'm not modelmaker, but I'll answer...

I have an ATI Remote Wonder 2.  I do have the most recent ATI Remote Wonder Software installed (v3.1).  The Plugin I am trying (based on advice I got here) is the Girder General X-10 Plugin found here (called Genx10.zip).  As I mentioned in the other thread, when I try to install/activate it in MC, nothing happens.

modelmaker

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 09:41:32 pm »

I'm not sure whether it's the RW 1 or 2, but it came with my ATI AW 9000 (RW part # 5000023600), (The USB RF device is ATI part # 5000016000).  I have the latest drivers. I bought it about a year and half ago, if that helps.

I used the X-10MP3 plugin from the J River download page.

I have used the automatic plugin install and also manually pointed MC to the rc_x10mp3.dll.

It's there in the plugin manager, but it just won't start when you click on the start button..

(note: I am running v10 at the moment - because of the remote, but v11 is also installed.)

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1652 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 256 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1612 (xpsp2.041207-1145) / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3900.7032 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A

Jay.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 08:08:11 am »

I thought I'd mention that after reading modelmaker's post, I decided to give the JRiver X10 plugin a go, but got the same result.  When I click "Start" it gives me an error about not finding the device on the COM Port.  None of the COM Ports work (as they shouldn't because the RW1/2/+ are USB not Serial).

I mentioned this all before (in the other thread) but I suspect that this is related to the fact that the Multimedia keys on various keyboards stop working once you install the keyboard "management" software.  I've tested with a wide variety of other "player" applications and they all seem to work with the RW's Multimedia keys without modification.  How difficult would it be to write a Remote Control Plugin that listens for those standard Windows Messages?  That wouldn't be ideal for the Remote Wonder (a real plugin would be) but it would probably help a wider range of people...

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 08:59:10 am »

I'm not sure whether it's the RW 1 or 2, but it came with my ATI AW 9000 (RW part # 5000023600), (The USB RF device is ATI part # 5000016000).  I have the latest drivers. I bought it about a year and half ago, if that helps.

I used the X-10MP3 plugin from the J River download page.

I have used the automatic plugin install and also manually pointed MC to the rc_x10mp3.dll.

It's there in the plugin manager, but it just won't start when you click on the start button..

(note: I am running v10 at the moment - because of the remote, but v11 is also installed.)

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

AMD Athlon 1652 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 256 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1612 (xpsp2.041207-1145) / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3900.7032 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A

I've got the same remote wonder unit that you have. Are you saying that in MC 10, you can start the X10MP3 plugin without having the X10 RF receiver unit plugged into a serial port? Can you use the "learn" command to assign actions to buttons on the remote? That would be strange since the X10MP3 plugin only communicates with a serial X10 receiver device, not a USB device like the remote wonder.
I can use the remote wonder unit to send keystrokes and mouse inputs to MC to control things (volume, mute, play/pause, navigation, etc.), but it's not going through any MC plugin. The only USB remote plugin supported by MC is for the USBUIRT device. I'm confused.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 11:25:29 am »

Hi

JRiver X10 plugin never worked for me.

Why ?

As John said, its serial.

I can use the remote wonder unit to send keystrokes and mouse inputs to MC to control things (volume, mute, play/pause, navigation, etc.),

Now im confused.

Using ATI remote software?

The only thing that works with it  are the arrows and enter ????(In MC11)

See this thread

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27031.0

modelmaker

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 11:50:19 am »

I apologize for my ignorance and the confusion, (I'm not a power user ;D). I guess I missed the "serial" part and just assumed that I needed the plugin.

I uninstalled the remote plugins in v10 and of course, as the ATI RW is a USB device it worked just fine.

However, there is no change in v11, (the plugins have been uninstalled here too). Yes, I can operate things with the RW's mouse buttons, (inconvenient at best), but the media function buttons still don't work in MC 11.

Media Center 11.0.254 -- C:\Program Files\J River MC 11\Media Center 11\

AMD Athlon 1644 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 293 MB

Jay.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 01:09:24 pm »

That would be strange since the X10MP3 plugin only communicates with a serial X10 receiver device, not a USB device like the remote wonder.

This was as I suspected.  I had once read on this forum that people were sucessfully using the Girder X10 plugin inside MC to assign functions to the Remote Wonder.  This no longer works (if it ever did).

I can use the remote wonder unit to send keystrokes and mouse inputs to MC to control things (volume, mute, play/pause, navigation, etc.), but it's not going through any MC plugin. The only USB remote plugin supported by MC is for the USBUIRT device. I'm confused.

What exactly do you mean by this?  Do your Play/FF/RW/Stop/Pause keys on the remote work??  On MC11?  If so, how did you do it (because it doesn't work for the rest of us)?

If it was by assigning (through the KeyFactory plugin in the ATI software) a Hotkey keypress to the remote's buttons, this is unacceptable for us because it breaks the functionality of those buttons in every other Windows application.  This would be fine if you used MC and only MC, but alas that isn't always the case.

For me, the Volume control works (since it just controls the system volume), the arrow keys work (since they just send the keyboard arrow keypress events), and the OK button works (it is = "Enter" key).  The other buttons (Chan Up/Down, Play, etc) do not work at all.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 01:24:34 pm »

I haven't used my Remote Wonder for a while, but it used to work fine.

Even if it doesn't just work "out of the box" (as it always did before), I'm not sure why you're all so hung up on the idea of using KeyFactory and that being unacceptable - it's easy enough to install Girder and set that up to send the right key presses to MC.

As far as I know, you wouldn't expect *all* the Remote Wonder buttons to just work anyway - the channel up and down ones for instance, since I don't think there's much of a standard for those particular ones, although obviously things like play/stop etc. are standard multimedia keys.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 01:40:12 pm »

although obviously things like play/stop etc. are standard multimedia keys.

Right, and they don't work.

The problem with reassigning them in KeyFactory (as I and others have mentioned repeatedly) is that this breaks the multimedia keys for other programs (the same problem still exists with my multimedia keyboard if I install the Microsoft Keyboard software so that I can assign functions to the other keys).  I actually do use other media applications than just MC.

it's easy enough to install Girder and set that up to send the right key presses to MC.

As I pleaded for in my earlier thread if you know of an easy way to set up Girder so that it controls the Remote Keypresses and lets MC work (when it is the foreground app) without breaking the buttons in other Applications (eg, the Play/Pause/Record/FF/RW still need to work in the applications I mentioned above), please let me know.

modelmaker

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 02:22:22 pm »

To everything glynor just said: DITTO for me! I am not a power user and don't have the knowledge or inclination to use some other program to make the RW work in MC 11 when it worked perfectly in previous versions of MC and now seems to broken in MC 11. It worked out of the box before, why doesn't it now in v11??

It's not like we're asking for some new feature, just getting an old one to work as it used to.
Jay.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 05:36:10 pm »

I get the point about Key Factory :-)

I'll do some more testing when I get a chance and post how it's working for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up