INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't play from iPod  (Read 3883 times)

jonnyjenks

• Recent member
  • Audere est facere
Can't play from iPod
« on: April 29, 2005, 02:58:15 am »

Still cannot play any songs from my iPod. This has been around since after release 11.0.236?
MC moans thus:
"Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location."

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't play from iPod
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 09:12:25 am »

For a file that does not play, please post the path as it is reported by MC when viewing it on the iPod and then post the path for the file that is part of the MC library.

Thanks,

Steve

jonnyjenks

• Recent member
  • Audere est facere
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 01:20:49 pm »

Okay, here goes...

As reported by MC when viewing it on the iPod: E:\iPod_Control\Music\F11\2840.mp3

If I check out the iPod via Windows Explorer this does seem to correspond to the actual track...

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 01:34:11 pm »

What version of MC did you transfer that file with? Try deleting it and transferring it with the current MC 11 and tell me the path.

Thanks.

Steve

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 12:37:19 pm »

The path shown in MC does indeed match the path to the file. In fact, I entered the filename and path into the Run line in my Start Menu. The file immediately played in MC. It's only when the file is double-clicked in within MC does it not play.

This tells me that the files on the iPod are not corrupt. Again, I've tried rebuilding the iPod database but that didn't help.

I'm currently running 11.0.250 but will upgrade to 11.0.250, wipe the iPod and resync to see if that fixes the problem.

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 10:28:04 am »

I reinitialized my iPod through MC and transferred a single file. It still wouldn't play. Seems to me something is indeed wrong.

This behavior only seemed to start happening recently, probably within the last 5 builds.

jonnyjenks

• Recent member
  • Audere est facere
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 01:01:19 pm »

Yup. I concur completely.
Something is indeed rotten in the state of Denmark...

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 09:01:50 am »

Please list the filepaths for one of these files both how it appears in MC and how it appears in MC when viewing the file on iPod.

Steve

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 12:18:17 pm »

This problem appears to be affecting the Library Server as well. I had build 249 a work and it had been working when connecting home (build 250) I believe.

In troubleshooting my iPod issue, I upgraded home to build 252. When I tried to play a song, I see the window at the top of the Medial Library cycle through a few song titles and then the same dialog appears that I was seeing when trying to play titles from the iPod.

I immediately upgraded my work computer to build 252, however the same message appears.

Can anybody with the iPod issue also confirm weather they are having the same problem with the Library Server?

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 12:23:58 pm »

Please list the filepaths for one of these files both how it appears in MC and how it appears in MC when viewing the file on iPod.

Interesting:

iPod:
I:\iPod_Control\Music\F16\01 - A Flock Of .mp3
I:\iPod_Control\Music\F16\02 - A Flock Of .mp3
I:\iPod_Control\Music\F16\03 - A Flock Of .mp3

MC:
C:\mp3\CD Albums\Artist\A Flock Of Seaguls\The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls\01 - A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran.mp3
C:\mp3\CD Albums\Artist\A Flock Of Seaguls\The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls\01 - A Flock Of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song.mp3
C:\mp3\CD Albums\Artist\A Flock Of Seaguls\The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls\01 - A Flock Of Seagulls - Telecommunication.mp3

Incidentally, all of these files were transferred fresh, last night and all seem to be truncated on the iPod. If I browse the iPod folder in Windows Explorer I can confirm that the file names are truncated.

Now what?

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 12:26:49 pm »

Incidentally, the same songs as they appear on my work computer when brought over from the Library server don't appear to truncate the name as they did on the iPod however they still will not play:

m01p://[IP Address]/C:\mp3\CD Albums\Artist\A Flock Of Seagulls\The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls\01 - A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran.mp3

m01p://[IP Address]/C:\mp3\CD Albums\Artist\A Flock Of Seagulls\The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls\01 - A Flock Of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song.mp3

m01p://[IP Address]/C:\mp3\CD Albums\Artist\A Flock Of Seagulls\The Best Of A Flock Of Seagulls\01 - A Flock Of Seagulls - Telecommunication.mp3

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 01:00:08 pm »

Sikes,

Truncation is by design because iPod cannot handle long flilenames and should not affect playback. If the file is named 'I:\iPod_Control\Music\F16\03 - A Flock Of .mp3' on iPod and that is the path that MC shows, when you try to play, it should play.

PS  (An aside.... I am curious how those three files ended up in folder F16. Are your files getting evenly distributed in all the F** folders?).

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 03:14:14 pm »

Sikes,

Truncation is by design because iPod cannot handle long flilenames and should not affect playback. If the file is named 'I:\iPod_Control\Music\F16\03 - A Flock Of .mp3' on iPod and that is the path that MC shows, when you try to play, it should play.

PS  (An aside.... I am curious how those three files ended up in folder F16. Are your files getting evenly distributed in all the F** folders?).

Oops, my mistake. I cut/paste but didn't update the folder name.

That should read:

I:\iPod_Control\Music\F16\01 - A Flock Of .mp3
I:\iPod_Control\Music\F17\02 - A Flock Of .mp3
I:\iPod_Control\Music\F05\03 - A Flock Of .mp3

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 09:36:47 am »

Sikes,

Thanks for the updated paths.  You are saying that these files play on iPod but don't play from within MC, right? If so, drag and drop one file on iPod from Explorer into MC and see if it plays and post the result.  After this test, remove the file from MC.

Thanks,

Steve

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 01:16:40 pm »

Incidentally, the same songs as they appear on my work computer when brought over from the Library server don't appear to truncate the name as they did on the iPod however they still will not play:

I figured out the problem to this issue and posted the problem/solution within the 2.54 thread here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27420.msg190007#msg190007

In a nutshell, I'm using the client machine to convert the files I stream from the Library server. When I select "Always convert files" or "Convert if necessary" in the Library Options, the files do not play.

I then installed build 246 on the server machine and I could play files fine.

I'm only linking these two issues together because they both produce the same error message, however the cause may be completely different.

MartinH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 05:20:06 am »

Sikes,

Thanks for the updated paths.  You are saying that these files play on iPod but don't play from within MC, right? If so, drag and drop one file on iPod from Explorer into MC and see if it plays and post the result.  After this test, remove the file from MC.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm trying to play files from my iPod within MC at work so the MP3s are not in my media library on this computer.  I'm guessing this should still work?

I get the same error as the first post when double clicking files from within the iPod tree (Albums/Artists/Genres/Playlists) in MC.  When checking them in Playing Now after getting the error the file path is correct.  If I drag the file from Windows Explorer onto Playing Now it plays fine.

This screenshot shows the file that doesn't play (top one) and the one that plays fine that was dragged in from Explorer.  The path is the same for both but other information is also missing (bitrate, year etc.) though I realise this could be by design.

http://images.martinhawkins.co.uk/playing_now.jpg

There is no library server involved or anything like that.  Is there any more information I can provide?  This is with 262.

As a side issue I'm unable to browse the ipod_control folder when accessing the iPod as a hard drive in the MC tree - is this on purpose?

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 09:36:31 am »

Martin,

Check the drive letter in the path. Is iPod recognized as 'G' on your work PC? My guess is, this is the problem.

In regards to seeing iPod_Control, it is a 'hidden' folder which is probably why it is not showing up in the MC tree.

Steve

MartinH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 09:57:45 am »

Steve,

It is G: but I don't follow what the problem is?  I may well have just grabbed the wrong end of the stick here.  I was confused that a file on the pod can be played if executed from explorer but not MC despite both pointing to the same file. 

I only mentioned the ipod_control thing because it stops me importing the tracks on my ipod as normal mp3s into my media library (MC import can't see it) and then being able to play them from there. 

So there is currently no way to play the music on my ipod from within MC.

The ipod_control folder is hidden but obviously can be viewed in windows as that's how I tested this file.

Sorry if I'm just making a mess of things here. :)  I know in the past I've been able to play from the ipod within MC.

Martin.

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 02:48:04 pm »

Martin,

This issue is resolved in today's buld of MC.

Steve

MartinH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 02:46:39 am »

Verified. :)  Thanks Steve, you're ace.
Pages: [1]   Go Up