INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shortening filenames for iPod  (Read 1536 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
shortening filenames for iPod
« on: May 12, 2005, 07:16:00 am »

Hey Steve,

I was just working on copying some files to a friends computer to try to re-synch my iPod.  When I started copying the files from the iPod (from within MC) it came up and asked me if I wanted to overwrite a file.  I looked into it a little and it seems you are shortening the file names to let the quicktime files play.  I understand this, but I have already done this in the past for other reasons, and now after you have shortened them further, the files on the iPod no longer match the filenames in MC.

This is a problem for me since when I need to copy the files onto a machine to manage MC from a different computer, the files from the iPod no longer match MC.  Therefore, MC doesn't know that the files from the iPod are the same as in MC, and my library can't find the right files anymore.  This didn't used to be the case.

Is there any way you can skip shortining the filenames if they are already short enough to work?

Thanks

PS  Lucky me I'm heading back to the US where I can do all of this with the original files soon, but in the future, I'd be SOL.
pretend this is something funny

SteveG

Re: shortening filenames for iPod
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 03:41:49 pm »

Justin,

I made a change that will allow files to be exactly 50 characters but no more. I didn't cut it this close before.  As long as your filenames are 50 characters or less (when taking into account the iPod folder paths ) you will be fine.

I am under the impression that certain iPods (and certain firmwares) skip filenames above this limit. Mine can play over 50 but I opt for 50 to cover all users. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Steve

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 04:28:28 pm »

Justin,

I made a change that will allow files to be exactly 50 characters but no more. I didn't cut it this close before.  As long as your filenames are 50 characters or less (when taking into account the iPod folder paths ) you will be fine.

I am under the impression that certain iPods (and certain firmwares) skip filenames above this limit. Mine can play over 50 but I opt for 50 to cover all users. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Steve
Oh No  :(  Please tell me this is not true. The 60GB iPod photo only supports 40 characters maximum and iTunes plays it safe and chops them down to 31.  I proved this conclusively through comprehensive testing.  Check out this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25671.0

Please say you'll change it back.  I see that Juston has an issue but it's a prety obscure one and can be worked around with some clever renaming conventions but the way things are from build 265 60GB photo users simply can't sync their iPod properly with MC without a lot of headaches.
JLee

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 05:57:39 pm »

No need to worry (I think). When I say 50 characters I mean the entire path (i.e. J:\iPod_Control\Music\F09\My File.mp3). The change I made added 4 more possible characters than what was there before. This should not screw things up for you.

Steve

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 01:06:14 am »

Phew.  :P  Sounds good. Thanks.
JLee
Pages: [1]   Go Up