INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a normal speed when ripping using Monkey's Lossless in normal mode  (Read 1407 times)

prsthlm

• Recent member

Hello,

I rip in Monkey's Lossless format not using secure mode. I get in average a speed of 7X, max 8X

• What's a normal ripping speed using Monkey's Lossless normal mode?
  • Is it a way to improve speed ?
  • Will speed improve if I get a faster external CD reader

Below is the System info for my DELL D410 (laptop)

Media Center Registered 11.0.309 -- C:\Program\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 575 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1039 MB, Free - 696 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2713 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050702-1513) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2620 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050225-1820) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: _NEC    DVD+-RW ND-6500A  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive E: _NEC     DVD+-RW ND-6500A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

The ripping speed depends on many factors. Different drives have different audio extraction speeds. That is not necessarily relative to the data CD reading speed. After the audio is extracted the CPU and HD speed are the next factors that make differences.

As a test you could rip a CD in wave format and convert the files to Monkey's Audio in a separate process. Compare the ripping and converting times with the ripping time you got when you ripped directly in Monkey's Audio format.

If ripping in wave format is much faster you could rip a bunch of CDs using wave format and let your PC convert them unattended afterwards.

Generally I think the speed you got is normal for a laptop. A faster CD drive or perhaps a faster HD (firewire or USB2) could help, but there is no way to know that without testing on your system.

This looks a bit suspicious to me:
Intel Unknown 575 MHz MMX
but I suppose the low number is because of the way a laptop CPU reports its speed.

If you are going to archive your lossless files you really should use the secure mode and rip logging. Otherwise you have no means of knowing if the CDs were ripped without errors before listening to them. Using the Secure mode makes ripping a bit slower (not necessarily much if the CDs are in good condition), but that is for good reason. Did you check these links I already provided in the other thread?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28627.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29157.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

prsthlm

• Recent member

I checked the links and I have followed most of the advices, thanks Alex B !

The CPU is a 1.86 GHz Pentium M

I started to rip in secure mode but then I just got 5x speed when ripping.
I want it fast and I believe in MC software. It does sound stupid, but I will go for it hoping evertything turns out fine...  ?

As you said it could be the HD slowing down. I intend to buy a 500 GB HD connecting via the network. Is that a good idea or do you still think I would go for a HD via USB ?

Regards from sunny Stockholm, Sweden !

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I noticed you didn't mention the Monkey's Audio compression level used. The "Normal" option is a good compromise between the speed and compression ratio. "High" and especially "Extra High" are slower and don't save much space. If the speed is essential you could try "Fast".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

prsthlm

• Recent member

Yes I use the normal compression level. Wiith "normal mode" I referred to the copy mode as you first correctly thought.

I will try fast compression level.
What do you think about the HD ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

The forum software didn't warn that you posted during I was writing my post. It used to do that, but something has changed.

The CPU is a 1.86 GHz Pentium M
That should be OK.

I started to rip in secure mode but then I just got 5x speed when ripping.
I want it fast and I believe in MC software. It does sound stupid, but I will go for it hoping evertything turns out fine...  ?

Using the Normal mode is fine, but be prepared that some tracks may have errors and you may need to re-rip them using the Secure mode later. You could inspect the CD surfaces before ripping and if a CD looks worn you could temporally switch the Secure mode on.

As you said it could be the HD slowing down. I intend to buy a 500 GB HD connecting via the network. Is that a good idea or do you still think I would go for a HD via USB ?

USB2 or Firewire HDs are usually faster.

Regards from sunny Stockholm, Sweden !

Regards from Helsinki! It's a bit cloudy here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up