INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reason for 11.1?  (Read 2036 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Reason for 11.1?
« on: December 13, 2005, 07:43:12 am »

I'm sure this was explained somewhere but I never saw it. Just a simple question. There was a topic with a whole lot of suggestions for version 12. Why then is there a beta going on for 11.1 instead of for 12? Are some of those suggestions going to be implemented in 11.1, 11.2, etc.?
Jeff

dcwebman

Re: Reason for 11.1?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 07:13:30 am »

I thought this was going to get a simple answer instead of none.  :(
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:27:20 am »

It's something like answering why there are 31 days in January, 28 days in February, except for leap years.

It was my decision and I can't back it up with anything logical.

In any case, 11.1 will go to a more public beta (download page) in a few days and should be released in a few weeks.

Moto

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 10:39:24 am »

:) :) Me likes all the improved handheld features in 11.1..Im glad its here. ;) ;)
Moto

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 11:36:54 am »

I'm sure this was explained somewhere but I never saw it. Just a simple question. There was a topic with a whole lot of suggestions for version 12. Why then is there a beta going on for 11.1 instead of for 12? Are some of those suggestions going to be implemented in 11.1, 11.2, etc.?

They could have just put this into 12, and charged a upgrade....
I'm happy with the 11.1.
-

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 12:51:35 pm »

The easy answer would be that MC11.1 is just a (free) glimpse of the mighty innovations of MC12...
MC12 will be the app that changes the way we think (about digtal media) forever. ;)

And why did the new xbox go all the way to 360 ?  :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 02:51:16 pm »

No one from JRiver mentioned MC12 before someone started the MC12 wish list thread. The users just thought it would be MC12. I think I was about the first one who mentioned MC11.1: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=25575.msg187476#msg187476  8)

Actually, MC 11.1 has a lot more instantly apparent new functions and improvements I expected.

I wonder if there is any room left for some mostly audio related tweaking. I have a "small" wish list. I gathered it during the MC 11.0 development, but have not announced it before. I guess this is as good place as any to publish it. Perhaps something from the list can be considered:

Musepack
- Fix the decoder, use the latest libraries and remove the "An MPC decoder is already running" warning and limitation.

Equalizer
- 12 frequencies (The bass end needs more. Would be useful for room corrections).
- Add a new "EQ preset" field for every audio track (like e.g. iTunes have) so you can predefine what preset a track uses. (EDIT: sthom's plugin does this, but does it work properly and also with 11.1?)

Track numbers
- More leading zeros to the track numbers. Useful for images etc.

Default = as it is currently, Optional = [Track # (n)]  where (n) is the total number of digits.
E.g. [Track # (4)] -  would make names like these:
0001 -
0010 -
0083 -
0100 -

Discussed here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=27807.0

APL
- APL support for the other formats (mp3, mpc, ogg, wma).
- Make APL converter (from any audio file).

CUE
- Get the file format and average bitrate when importing or analyzing
- Have an internal identifier in the database (cue + compression format)
- Do not try to write tags into the files and display the error message.
- Track files converted from CUE tracks don't have correct tags.
- Make APL function for saving tags and moving tagged cue tracks between computers.
- The optional APL files would make fixing the CD writing, conversions, copying and server/client functions easier. Could be specified in the Help that cue support is limited for basic playback, but making APL files would make the other functions available.

Library Server (and the other servers)
- APL files: Make the servers to decode the included passage on the fly and send decoded PCM.
- Add a global option in the servers to decode all audio files on the server side and send uncompressed data to the clients. That would make all file formats available. Useful on the fast LANs.

Windows Media Encoder
- WMA Standard two-pass settings are missing.
- Add WMA Pro with all available settings. The WMA Pro encoder is already included in the Windows Media codecs.

Ripping
I had a couple of things here too, but I need to try first how ripping works in MC11.1.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up