INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Photo Sync Full Resolution  (Read 1751 times)

tgack

• Recent member
iPod Photo Sync Full Resolution
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:36:14 pm »

Sorry if this has already been answered (didn't find it in my searches) but I just wanted to kow how to disable the full resolution images to stop the full size versions from loading onto my iPod 5G... similar to the toggle checkbox in iTunes for "Include full resolution photos"

Thanks,
TGack

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: iPod Photo Sync Full Resolution
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 09:19:32 pm »

Full resolution images are always sent.

This is done to workaround the deficiency in the iPod image storing system where no meta-data can be stored.  Because of this, we need the file size and file name of the original image to do a sync check later on.

Hopefully Apple will improve their image support in the future so we don't need to do this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bizzli2

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 05:42:42 am »

Hi TGack,

I think I've got a solution for you... I've managed to take my 6.5Gigs of photos and loaded it onto my ipod (via MC) where it only takes up 240Mb of space!

Aside from the space issue, I fould that when loading the full resolution images via MC, some of the photos did not resize well.

Soooo... I used Picasa to export each folder of photos to a new directory I'd created called 'My Pictures iPod'. The export feature allows you to batch resize all the photos in a folder to 320x240 (the resolution of the ipod video screen) in one hit. Do this for each folder, load "My Pictures iPod" into MC, use the Fill Properties From File Name" function to assign the directory name into the [Album] tag, and bob's your uncle.

That's all you need, to do, but being a newbie myself to this site, here's the more verbose version of the instuctions...

Create a new folder called "My Pictures iPod". and ensure your photos are loaded in Picasa.

In Picasa, click on a folder (in the left pane), click on one of the photos in that folder and hit ctrl + a, then hit ctrl + shift + s and it pops up a window. click browse and select the "My Pictures iPod" folder.

Leave the name of the exported folder as is,  select "Resize to"  and enter 320. Set image quality to 100% and "Export movies using" first frame.

hit OK, and you'll have a nice minitarised set of 320x240 photos into your new "My Pictures iPod" folder.

Do this for each folder in the left pane. Now, go to MC. Import the "My Pictures iPod" and all subdirectories into MC. Then select all of these files/photos, right click Library Tools | Fill Properties From File Name. Only check directories and enter [Album] in the field and hit okay.

And there you have it. 6.5Gigs of photos into 240Mb, and MC's handy features to assign the correct album name to them, oh yeah... and they display really well on the iPod video (guess they don't have to be resized)   

Hope this helped   :D

bizzli2

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 05:58:22 am »

P.S:

Hey Matt, while I'm thinking of it, would it be possible to set up MC to run a similar procedure automatically in MC? It'd be a killer solution. Set the required resolution in the syn options window (or maybe in the Import window, so MC resizes them during import) and let MC do the rest...

failing that, I'd searched other forums, and it turns out anapod (ewww... competitiors!) have a trial softare called Anapod PhotoSync that can do the same job as iTues for loading the photos. (i.e. 3 sizes of each photos, and takes up less space than  The trial version only loads 24 photos per folder, so it's not a good workaround (oh yeah, and the PhotoSync interface looks strikingly similar to the iTues one... hey RedChair, can you say copyright infringment...?)

I know you said it's an apple/ipod thing, but if Anapod can do it, surely you guys can crack it... heck, you can probalby improve on it (I mean who needs to load a TV ready version of the photos anyway  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 07:10:10 am »

You could copy photos to a new directory, and then resize them as bizli2 suggests.  MC can do this.

tgack

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 08:17:31 am »

thanks everyone for explaining and thankyou bizzli2 for the workaround
Pages: [1]   Go Up